• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 Years of PlayStation - RIDGE RACER interview on Eurogamer

Cardon

Reading through this thread simply makes me depressed we haven't, and likely won't, see a proper Ridge Racer game on a PlayStation platform any time soon. Series was so damn good back in the day.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ridge Racer Type 4 was great racer

I didn't put too much time into Ridge Racer V, but liked it as well

You should make up for that, by putting in as much time into RRV as possible :)

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ridge Racer was my favorite PS game for so long. It's still my favorite arcade racer. Ridge Racer 7 on PS3 is so beautiful, but you could tell it had lost what made the original so much fun.

The original on Playstation is still one of my favorite games of all time. I recognize there are better entries in the series, but just watching that video gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I put so many hours into that puppy and it only had 1 course! (And 6 total variations, of course.)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ridge Racer was my favorite PS game for so long. It's still my favorite arcade racer. Ridge Racer 7 on PS3 is so beautiful, but you could tell it had lost what made the original so much fun.

I don't think it had list it I just think it took a new but better direction

AmyS

So what was the key difference between Ridge Racer 2 in the arcade and the version on the Playstation?

Ridge Racer 2 in the arcade (1994) added the rear view mirror, 2-player linked cabinets.

Ridge Racer Revolution on PS1 had the ability to use the Link Cable for two consoles / TVs / copies of the game. But I can't find any decent videos on Youtube any PS1 gaming using the Link Cable.

But it was Rave Racer in arcades (1995) that everybody wanted at home.

TTnEVeW.jpg
f2rPiiC.jpg
9zrSaCj.jpg

vmba75R.jpg

Ylmbf7o.jpg

KDOd0El.jpg

G0Xkq0y.jpg

0cCzajL.jpg

iKKaBET.jpg

jqIJGPg.jpg

HEa5v4d.jpg

TY8dY4K.jpg

Kudos to PSP Ridge Racers and Ridge Racers 2.

Not only did they have Rave Racer's 'City' and 'Mountain' tracks (renamed Midtown Expressway and Greenpeak Highlands respectively) but Namco even bothered to make, new-for-PSP, two new tracks loosely based on Rave Racer that were never part of the 1995 coin-op arcade machine -- They were Downtown Rave City and Silvercreek Dam.

Silvercreek Dam never appeared in RR6 or RR7. Replaced with Rave City Riverfront.

memories.

i remember a bug in R4 where you could mess up the replays. once you finish a race, hold left or right, and that'll happen in the replay. it amused me as a child to break the replays. XD

Neff

This entire article is wonderful.

Ridge Racer 2 in the arcade (1994) added the rear view mirror, 2-player linked cabinets.

Ridge Racer Revolution on PS1 had the ability to use the Link Cable for two consoles / TVs / copies of the game. But I can't find any decent videos on Youtube any PS1 gaming using the Link Cable.

tmcfWo.jpg

We used to lug our friend's other TV into his bedroom and set up our Playstations and do just this with RRR. It was fantastic.

TTnEVeW.jpg

f2rPiiC.jpg

9zrSaCj.jpg

Not only did they have Rave Racer's 'City' and 'Mountain' tracks (renamed Midtown Expressway and Greenpeak Highlands respectively) but Namco even bothered to make, new-for-PSP, two new tracks loosely based on Rave Racer that were never part of the 1995 coin-op arcade machine -- They were Downtown Rave City and Silvercreek Dam.

Silvercreek Dam never appeared in RR6 or RR7. Replaced with Rave City Riverfront.

Rave was always my favourite, not just because we never had our console fill (neither Rage nor R4 stacked up against it imo), but because it really is the greatest RR game ever made, released at the peak of my RR obsession. Drifting, courses, visuals, music, interface, cab design... they never topped it imo, despite recycling elements of it in later games.

I would love a HD compilation or amalgamation of the first three arcade RR games with online matchmaking.

isamu

TTnEVeW.jpg

f2rPiiC.jpg

9zrSaCj.jpg

AmyS your name sounds familiar, I think I have talked to you
before in other forums/threads, no?

Anyway your contributions to this thread are nothing short of exceptional! You really know your stuff when it comes to all things RR, and agree with everything you have said so far 100%. Indeed RR 2 PSP is to me, the greatest RR ever made. When played via PPSSPP emulator, with a High-grade Force Feedback wheel, high industrial pedals, and H-Pattern stick shifter, on a 110" front projection screen, the experience is nothing short of orgasmic.

See my appreciation post for the game and emulator in this thread:

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=2865&page=5

Unfortunately I no longer have a wheel but I'm saving up for the Accuforce Wheel which is much better than the ECCI 7000 I owned previously.

Ridge Racers PSP is my favorite RR game of all time, and harkens back to the days of when the Ridge Racer games were available only on the arcade, where you HAD to play using a steering wheel and pedals. The day I can replicate that feeling again using the Accuforce FFB wheel will be RAPTUROUS!!

ridgeracers220130511032.png

ridgeracers220130511032.bmp

ridgeracers220130511031.png

ridgeracers220130511030.png

ridgeracers220130511025.png

ridgeracers220130511025.png

ridgeracers220130511023.png

Skyzard

Banned
Wow, FFB??

Ridge Racers 1 & 2 were super popular among my friends, we'd regularly race each other. [PSP]

I was hooked on it before Wipeout.

Old favourite is Rage Racer also. I bought RRT4 recently thinking that was Rage Racer :(

nikos

I'd love to see a new RAGE or Ridge Racer. I enjoyed its latest iterations on the 3DS, Vita and even mobile.

Argh. That is NOT Reiko!

Also hated what they did with RRV's model, I can't even remember her name. But they dared to replace Reiko with another girl. The game was awesome, though.

edit: Here she is: Ai Fukami.

Iyk1jLU.jpg

I'll never understand why they did that.

Ridge Racer threads are usually always a downer because we aren't getting a new one any time soon, but kudos for turning this into something of a love-in for those of us who love this series :)

I think it's time to dig out my PSP and play through Ridge Racers 1 & 2 again.

Neff

Oh, I've been looking for that article. From EDGE or Next Generation right?

If so which issue?

It is indeed from Edge, but I'm afraid I don't remember the issue, since I scanned pages and images from my magazines many years ago, and no longer have them.

Iirc it was from a preview page for RRR.

AmyS

It is indeed from Edge, but I'm afraid I don't remember the issue, since I scanned pages and images from my magazines many years ago, and no longer have them.

Iirc it was from a preview page for RRR.

Okay cool, because it's not in the RRR preview in Next Generation issue 13, January 1996.

tR3CxeR.jpg
OlZ0K2O.jpg

I guess I must have bought the issue of Edge with the more interesting RRR preview because I do remember reading it and it talked about the link cable and had pictures like the one you posted.

IIRC, articles in Edge appeared a month or two before they were in Next Generation. I could be wrong though.

Edit: got the Edge RRR preview!

oLie4Jb.jpg

pAKvyAk.jpg

VvIFvFp.jpg

Also, here's NG's in depth look at the original PlayStation conversion of the first game:

kqKXmSk.jpg
aXyC75l.jpg

i5Wb7p1.jpg
4fD1QNe.jpg

Hz06phY.jpg

isamu

I can't help but wonder if Namco regrets not porting the PSP version of RR2 over to consoles, since that is the superior game over 6&7. I love 7 to death but doesn't hold a candle to 7.

Anyone know the name of the announcer for Rage Racer? She's my favorite one out of all of them.

The Kaz Hirai Ridge Racer meme always pained me because the people that would repeat it usually didn't know and/or give a shit about the Ridge Racer series.. :/

isamu

The Kaz Hirai Ridge Racer meme always pained me because the people that would repeat it usually didn't know and/or give a shit about the Ridge Racer series.. :/

I feel the same way. In fact I was going to make a comment very similar to yours. I watched the 2006 Sony Conference in its entirety yesterday, and when the Ridge Racer moment came up, I really couldn't comprehend why this moment turned into such a popular meme. I mean, the guy was excited about the original Ridge Racer running on PSP, and consequently yelled out "RIIIIDGE RACERR remember that one guys?" as a result. I found it amusing and cool as a fellow RR fan but didn't find it funny in a "lets make fun at him" kind of way.

Maybe someone can shed some light on why this because such a popular meme.

Desty

Banned
Ridge Racer was really the best racing game I've played. It could get your heart pumping, and it kept you coming back to get very satisfying victories over the most difficult cars. Today's racers are super real but not nearly as fun in my opinion.

I would love a PS4 Ridge Racer Revival so much. Sooo much.

Also, the guy in the article is playing Ridge Racer terribly. Get a Ne-G-Con, sir!

P.S.: Thanks for these article scans and other nostalgia. They are great!

AmyS

P.S.: Thanks for these article scans and other nostalgia. They are great!

No problem. Got them from the internet archive.

I'm just kinda annoyed I couldn't find that EDGE article that showed RRR link-up with two TVs and PS1 consoles.

jett

D-Member
At least somebody remembers Ridge Racer! I have to give props to Leadbetter for this article. My favorite arcade racing franchise, bar none.

Where's my goddamn Ridge Racer V HD, Scamco?

SheHateMe

I LOVE Ridge Racer. One of my favorite racing series.

Mad my PSP isn't reading my memory sticks right now, or I'd be playing RR2.

Oh well. I'm off to play RRT4.

*plays Naked Glow*

isamu

At least somebody remembers Ridge Racer! I have to give props to Leadbetter for this article. My favorite arcade racing franchise, bar none.

Where's my goddamn Ridge Racer V HD, Scamco?

What's really a shame is that none of the other journalists/game reviewers/gaming magazine websites have even acknowledged the 20 year anniversary of this incredible and classic racing franchise. Giant Bomb? Game Trailers? Gamespot? The Escapist? Nothing...nada...zilch. Goes to show all they give a shit about is money.

If Gamefan was still around I have no doubt they would be paying homage to the 20 years since we've had Ridge Racer games.

Jimrpg

I am tempted to get ridge racer 7! probably the last great ridge racer game for the PlayStation

Not just a great ridge racer game but a great game in general.

Can someone point to another arcade racing game on the ps3 as good as this?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Isn't Ridge Racer 6 only $5 this week? Not sure how well it holds up, but I played it to death at the 360 launch window.

jett

D-Member
What's really a shame is that none of the other journalists/game reviewers/gaming magazine websites have even acknowledged the 20 year anniversary of this incredible and classic racing franchise. Giant Bomb? Game Trailers? Gamespot? The Escapist? Nothing...nada...zilch. Goes to show all they give a shit about is money.

If Gamefan was still around I have no doubt they would be paying homage to the 20 years since we've had Ridge Racer games.

They're too busy wasting time writing about the latest mediocre flavor of the month.

Not just a great ridge racer game but a great game in general.

Can someone point to another arcade racing game on the ps3 as good as this?

There's nothing else on the PS3 like RR7 but another good arcade racer is Burnout Paradise.

AmyS

It's time for a 2016 bump!

With Namco recently polling Japanese gamers on which Ridge Racer (and Ace Combat) game they want remakes of, I feel it's time to take another look at the classic Ridge Racer games, the way they looked and the technical advancements made during the early-to-mid 90s in real-time CG for arcade games, as well as the PSX versions. Rather than, merely remembering the downturns the franchise has taken after Ridge Racer 7 on PS3.

Major updates in my posts with many Edge articles. Even though Edge is the sister publication to Next Generation, I have found that the Edge articles are quite superior in their depth, layout and number of pictures.

Many edits, and more EDGE Rave Racer / PowerVR articles, some that did not have equivalents in NG.

Top Bottom