• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010-2011 PSP RPG lineup, or why the PSP is the best system for JRPGs right now

Grimmy

Banned
SamBishop said:
None of those games would be unforgiven for being called some kind of RPG. I think you were fully welcome in offering all those games. Well, save for Mimana. That game's sadly not very good -- at least not in the sense of a lot of the games that have hit the PSP already. It's a rote JRPG without any of the charm or advancement we've seen since at least the 32-bit era and (at least in my opinion) feels like something from far earlier.

Japan is keeping the PSP afloat, but what's amazing is that it's doing it with the exact kind of games that I really longed for in this gen, but doing so without compromising ingenuity. ZHP and Cladun alone are destroying a lot of the tropes that their respective genres built up, and they're doing it with a ton of humor.

Thanks! I feel the same way. Plus, Gladiator Begins needs some more love!

Actually if you read my blurb on Mimana then you'll see that I really disliked it ;) But I decided to include it just for completion's sake, and because some freaks will end up complaining that it's not there (since they are like the 2 people who actually like the game).

There's still a ton of RPGs on the PSP which I would really really love to see localized. #1 being Far East of Eden: The Fourth Apocalypse :p (yes I know it will never happen).

Notorious_Roy said:
These games are all confirmed for a Western release (at least US)? Because I can remember such a thread for DS with games like 7th Dragon and SaGa 2 in it, but I am very disappointed in the localization-rate :(

Yes, all have been announced for North America. If I included everything from Japan, the list would be 3x the size.

klee123

PSP just keeps on giving.

I think the PSP will be getting this type of support for another 2 years at least. Development is dirt cheap and Japanese publishers seem to be satisfied.

I am so glad that I bought a PSP last summer. Unfortunately, I won't exactly be buying the majority of the games in the opening post. :\ I'm definitely getting Birth By Sleep. Kingdom Heats <3

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
You know what I just realized that God Eater Burst is being localized by D3! :lol

Figures Bamco of America wouldn't care about it.
I think Bandai Namco actually have something to do with D3 and according to Wiki

In 2009, Namco Bandai Holdings gained a controlling share of D3 and currently owns 95% of its stock. [2]

Spiegel

Surprise

psp_cladun_this-is-an-RPG.jpg

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/produc...17552&osCsid=268f0f2fa21e5afcd260ab26c541fdba

It looks like it will be launched 2 months after the PSN version.

Flakster99

Cool thread. A lot of good games to look forward to. There is so much gaming competition out there for my dollar that for me, much of said list will be ignored, which is both sad and ok.

KAL2006

Banned
Lunar looks like such a good game, I may have to check that out, never played the PSX version, but I am loving the graphics and battle animations for this.

Sipowicz

Banned
to be honest the PSP has fucking sucked for RPGs up until persona 3. crisis core is one of the worst games i've ever played and the rest tended to be shitty ports

but persona 3 is absolutely excellent and the stuff coming out for it is superb. Even though the DS has had a better year for rpgs so far i stll think the PSP will come out on top. The PSP will easily take next year too

i'm loving it right now

Dragon

Banned
Sipowicz said:
to be honest the PSP has fucking sucked for RPGs up until persona 3. crisis core is one of the worst games i've ever played and the rest tended to be shitty ports

I know you're going for hyperbole here but still, Crisis Core is not even close to the worst games I've ever played. Its extremely repetitive, stupid mission design aside, I dug going back to some of the locales from FF7. Perhaps you have to be a big fan of FF7 to like it.

Sipowicz said:
but persona 3 is absolutely excellent and the stuff coming out for it is superb. Even though the DS has had a better year for rpgs so far i stll think the PSP will come out on top. The PSP will easily take next year too

i'm loving it right now

And yet five people in NA not on GAF will buy one of the games listed in the OP. Or do you mean outside of sales?

Personally I can't even boot my PSP 1000, I lost the charger. Went to two different Gamestops and they don't even carry it anymore!

Ricker

From the little we have seen so far,PE is more of a 3rd person shooter then a RPG,still on my PSP must buy list though,along with Ys and Valkyria...which reminds me I still didn`t finish Chronicles on the PS3...

Great OP,thanks.

Sipowicz

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
I know you're going for hyperbole here but still, Crisis Core is not even close to the worst games I've ever played. Its extremely repetitive, stupid mission design aside, I dug going back to some of the locales from FF7. Perhaps you have to be a big fan of FF7 to like it.

i absolutely loved final fantasy 7 (even though i haven't played it in 10 years or something). but crisis core was so, so bad. i dont think any amount of hyperbole can describe what a travesty that game was

TheBranca18 said:
And yet five people in NA not on GAF will buy one of the games listed in the OP. Or do you mean outside of sales?

Personally I can't even boot my PSP 1000, I lost the charger. Went to two different Gamestops and they don't even carry it anymore!

PSP games dont sell that well unfortunately which is a real shame as it is a friggin amazing system. if you want a charger for your 1000 it try ebay. there's a site called deal extreme that's very good but i dont know if they deliver to america

or just get a 2000. the 2000 is amazing

Grimmy said:
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Company: Square Enix
Category: Strategy RPG
Release Date: TBA

The seminal SRPG title by Quest is given a rebirth by its original creator, Yasumi Matsuno, for this “re-imagining” on the PSP. With updated 3D graphics, new characters and scenarios, more character depth, new music and a new English localization by Alexander O. Smith, this is a dream project for SRPG fans (myself included). More information coming in this week’s Famitsu!

Superior version confirmed.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nice thread. I watched this trailer for Ys Seven the other day and instantly preordered, never been too interested in Ys before but that looked bloody amazing. Will pick up the other Yseses if I end up liking that.

Phantasy Star Portable has infrastructure mode, eh? Eeeeeenteresting.

Hoping someone picks up Last Ranker for localization. Capcom used to be pretty reliable, but then aside from MonHun their output on the platform has been really sparse for the past years, so it's hard to gauge.
GhaleonQ said:
Nippon Ichi's learned its lesson! *dances*
Considering what What Did I Do to Deserve This 2's UMD sales were probably like, I think it's fairer to say that they didn't. Though the same could be said about them continuing to release games here at all, so I shan't rock the boat.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Katana_Strikes said:
Is Tactics Ogre a lot like FFTactics?

And what happened to Cardboard Heroes or whatever it's called by Level5? That was an RPG wasn't it?
More like FFT is a lot like Tactics Orge.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah.....

Kingdom Hearts and Valkryria Chronicles get released on the same day! :D

Tucah

you speak so well
All I need are the Ys games. I still can't believe we're FINALLY getting multiple games in the series in the US. I will buy them all. Twice.

Square's PSP games also look fantastic.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Sipowicz said:
i absolutely loved final fantasy 7 (even though i haven't played it in 10 years or something). but crisis core was so, so bad. i dont think any amount of hyperbole can describe what a travesty that game was

:lol hilarious. I completed every mission in that game - I loved it! I heard KH is supposed to be a more "refined" battle system of Crisis Core. Can't wait! :D

Why isn't MHP3 on the list? You included other ARPGs on the list (some of which are MH clones themselves).

Yeah, I know. I'm really excited about Phantasy Star Portable 2 too! :D

Takao

Banned
leng jai said:
Any word on Birthy By Sleep on PSN??

Still very much up in the air. We have that trailer SCEA did with it on a Go from E3. The official site lists the PSN, despite the fact the game doesn't have any PSN-enabled features (from what I know). My guess is that SCEA and SE are trying to get Disney to allow them to put it up.

Morbid Angel said:
What happened to Ushiro? Canceled?

Put on the back burner so Level-5 can finish 115 Professor Layton, and Inazuma 11 games. When they're done with that, PSP-next will likely be out.

Onion_Relish said:
no mention of .hack//link
its coming, i swear T_T

Well, it's kind of damning when a bunch of other Namco Bandai games are coming to North America a lot quicker than it is. DragonBall Tag Vs. comes out in September in Japan, and October here, a new Ace Combat comes out weeks after Japanese release too (granted, both titles don't exactly have the amount of text .hack does). The fact it's been nearly 6 months after Japanese release, and no announcement has occurred...

Katana_Strikes said:
And what happened to Cardboard Heroes or whatever it's called by Level5? That was an RPG wasn't it?

SCEA has yet to formally announce it (Level-5 has yet to formally announce a date in Japan). It's coming though, they've filed paper work trademarking the name (as "The Little Battlers"). I wouldn't be surprised if they get Sony Pictures to dub the TV series.

Shig said:
Hoping someone picks up Last Ranker for localization. Capcom used to be pretty reliable, but then aside from MonHun their output on the platform has been really sparse for the past years, so it's hard to gauge.

They haven't even announced localizations of MHP3, or the Cat game have they (I believe there was mumblings around the announcement of MHP3 about a simultaneous release, but we'd know something by now)? Something tells me Capcom US is done with the platform. They'll bring over MHP3, and throw Last Ranker to someone else.

brain_stew said:
What are the chances of the Ys games hitting PSN in the EU?Somewhere between impossible and completely impossible right? :(

I believe they were announced as PSN exclusive for EU, no?

aceface said:
Wait, Lunar for PSP was actually good? I was under the impression that all the newer Lunar games were shite.

It's a remake. Hard to screw that up :lol. Some were a bit angry that XSEED localized the game a bit more literally than Working Designs, but nothing's bad (granted, I've played very little of the PSone game, and have only started the PSP release).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
jling84 said:
I hate how no one else here in the US feels this way, but PSP is my favorite console of this generation.

... I can't agree more with this. I love my PS3/360/Wii, but if I had to trade them all in and could only keep the PSP I would be okay.

About a year ago I didn't own any one of the "next-gen" systems and played only PSP. And I was about as happy and content of a gamer as I ever have been since I was a kid. I have as much of a fond memory of buying a PSP and Metal Gear Acid on release day, and spending the afternoon in amazement of that hand held device, as I have with any other gaming experience in my life. And yes, I started gaming on the NES. I don't know if any other console has given me as much satisfaction and diverse library of games as the PSP has since owning one.

Takao said:
I believe they were announced as PSN exclusive for EU, no?

You serious? :D

Anyone got a link to that announcement?

Prime crotch said:
Sony releasing a PSP emulator on the PS3 would be the best thing ever (for me)

You can hook up a PSP yo your TV and even use a DS3 with it just fine, you know, right?

Prime crotch said:
why would i need an emulator if I had a psp?

Well for many they'd have said because they don't like playing games on a small screen with portable controls. I figure'd if you can afford a PS3 and have an interest in the PSP's lineup then managing to pick one up at some point wouldn't be that big of an issue. They're pretty damn cheap these days (especially used or after you factor in all the free bundled games that a new PSP Go comes with).

Woah, Phantasy Star Portable 2 actually has infrastructure mode this time around? Well that's another game I can now unexpectedly get hyped for. I totally glossed over it previously as I just assumed it was ad-hoc only like its prequel (and most PSP games these days! :( )

Top Bottom