• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010-2011 PSP RPG lineup, or why the PSP is the best system for JRPGs right now

thcsquad

Man, I have to get a PSP now. I've avoided it so far because I hate playing games on a handheld. PSP has remote output though, right? So I can play it hooked up to a tv?

Takao

Banned
thcsquad said:
Man, I have to get a PSP now. I've avoided it so far because I hate playing games on a handheld. PSP has remote output though, right? So I can play it hooked up to a tv?

Not really remote, but there are cables (around $10-$15) that will allow a PSP 2000, 3000, or Go to output its display on a TV. Mind you, when playing games the picture doesn't cover the entire TV screen. 2000 only allows games to be played on TVs that accept component cables, 3000 and Go allow game output on most TVs.

thcsquad said:

You can hookup it up to the TV via component cables, you can get really long ones for super cheap at either deal extreme or Ebay. If you want to use a DS3 with it, you'll have to get the GO (and own a PS3).

MoxManiac

I might actually bite on Phantasy Star. Two things i've been waiting for to get back in a PSO/PSU game: 1) No monthly fee and 2) Native online play.

Synless

I have a confession to make, I have never played any Phantasy Star Online game. Is the portable series worth looking into?

MoxManiac said:
I might actually bite on Phantasy Star. Two things i've been waiting for to get back in a PSO/PSU game: 1) No monthly fee and 2) Native online play.

Them two things make the game about a 100x more appealing. Anyone know if the online play will be worldwide? I'm sure there'll be plenty of Japanese gamers playing but I can't see many in the UK picking it up considering how dead the PSP games market is over here.

GhaleonQ

Sipowicz said:
so it's a bit like zelda or rocket slimes mixed with an rpg?

Dungeon-and-combat-heavy The Legend Of Zelda in which you run into things (and now, hack-and-slash), all backed by fantastic music? That would be accurate, I think.

thcsquad

Takao said:
Not really remote, but there are cables (around $10-$15) that will allow a PSP 2000, 3000, or Go to output its display on a TV. Mind you, when playing games the picture doesn't cover the entire TV screen. 2000 only allows games to be played on TVs that accept component cables, 3000 and Go allow game output on most TVs.

Speaking of PSP types, is there any reason to buy a Go over a 3000? I live in the US so I don't get the 10 free games. The way I see it...

3000 Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Can play all PSP games (how many PSP games are disc-only?)

Go Pros:
  • 3 free games (which probably dont make up the price difference)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Persona 3 portable's girl's mode is freaking awesome.

I am looking forward to playing Aqua in KH:BBS and putting hundreds of hours into PSP2 :)

Where is the PSP-4000 so I can finally put my PSP-1000 to rest.

thcsquad said:
Speaking of PSP types, is there any reason to buy a Go over a 3000? I live in the US so I don't get the 10 free games. The way I see it...

3000 Pros:
  • Cheaper

Go Pros:

Absolutely:

Much, much better analog controls, some games are damn near unplayable on previous PSP models because of their shitty nub.
Similar form factor to an iPhone means you can take it anywhere and everywhere, its the first PSP that can actualy be properly described as, you know, portable.
16GB of internal storage.
Can use a DS3 with it.
Much better screen. No scanlines, richer colours, faster response time and a better pixel pitch, its a great display and the only PSP display without a glaring inherent flaw.

thcsquad said:

3000 Pros:
  • Cheaper

Go Pros:

Better form factor for the Go? And maybe the 16GB but frankly that's offset by the increased cost.

GhaleonQ said:
Dungeon-and-combat-heavy The Legend Of Zelda in which you run into things (and now, hack-and-slash), all backed by fantastic music? That would be accurate, I think.

I like to think of it as Snes Zelda on speed.

Seda said:
I'd get the 3000. It's more flexible and it's cheaper.

I wouldn't say a sytem that can't be reasonably carried in your trouser/jeans pocket and has no way of comfortably controlling 3D games is what I would describe as "flexible." The hardware is objectively worse in many significant areas, (size, screen controls, memory etc.) so if the PSP titles you want to actually buy are on or coming to the PSN then there's no good reason outside of price (though the free game bundles and retailer discounts kind of muddy that one up, especially in Europe) to choose a PSP 3K.

thcsquad said:

3000 Pros:
  • Cheaper

Go Pros:

Anyone telling you to buy a go is probably insane. There is nothing the go can do that the 3000 can't, in fact, the go actually supports LESS games because they aren't all digital, nor will they ever be. So if you like the idea of being able to play new psp games maybe then perhaps you'll be interested in a go. If you're buying this primarily as a gaming device, and want to have access to everything released down the line, no ifs, get a 3000.

Seda said:
Good Points. I still just don't like the fact that there will be some games not playable on it.

PSP 2000 for life!

And that's fair enough. For me, all the games I was really interested in were already on PSN and buying a PSP Go was actually cheaper (£140 + 10 free games = win!), especially after you factor in all the internal storage. Considering that, the choice was obvious, and I can't overstate just how much of an upgrade the nub is, I simply refused to play some games on my old 1K because that thing was so awkward to use.

Of course if there's a significant number of games you're interested in that aren't available on PSN then none of those points carry much weight anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Synless said:
I have a confession to make, I have never played any Phantasy Star Online game. Is the portable series worth looking into?

There's a demo of the first on PSN. If you like that, the first is worthwhile (if offline), the second has a JPN ONLY demo right now, but gives you an idea about the second (more of the same) + online.

Try them for yourself.

pancakesandsex said:
Anyone telling you to buy a go is probably insane. There is nothing the go can do that the 3000 can't, in fact, the go actually supports LESS games because they aren't all digital, nor will they ever be. So if you like the idea of being able to play new psp games maybe then perhaps you'll be interested in a go. If you're buying this primarily as a gaming device, and want to have access to everything released down the line, no ifs, get a 3000.

Apart from fit in a pocket without causing a huge and uncomfortable bulge and actually allow you to control 3D games without bending your thumb in awkward ways and becoming hugely frustrated of course.

This is a portable system. It should be no surprise to you that there are fans of the version that is significantly more portable as that's one of the primary selling factors of the platform in the first place. My PSP Go only gets as much use as it does because its as easy to slip in a pocket as an iPhone, without that ability it'd be no where near as useful for me as it is. The much better screen, controls and internal storage are just sweeteners.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 previews says it has in-depth single and mp modes. Does anyone know if your character carries over between the two?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Grimmy said:
15i419d.jpg

This interests me.
Always did wanted to play the original Ys games.

thcsquad

brain_stew said:
And that's fair enough. For me, all the games I was really interested in were already on PSN and buying a PSP Go was actually cheaper (£140 + 10 free games = win!), especially after you factor in all the internal storage. Considering that, the choice was obvious, and I can't overstate just how much of an upgrade the nub is, I simply refused to play some games on my old 1K because that thing was so awkward to use.

Of course if there's a significant number of games you're interested in that aren't available on PSN then none of those points carry much weight anymore.

Did the form factor change from 1000 to 3000? Is 1000->Go more drastic of a change than 3000-Go?

On PSN games: Is there a definitive list of non-PSN games? A 'these are the games you lose out on if you get a Go' list? Really I would mainly buy it for JRPGs. I'm sure the recent and upcoming ones in this thread are all available on PSN, but what about some older ones? Crisis Core? Jeanne D'Arc? Persona?

thcsquad said:
Did the form factor change from 1000 to 3000? Is 1000->Go more drastic of a change than 3000-Go?

It did but only slightly, basically it got a little slimmer, but its still quite an awkward form factor for a portable imo. The PSP Go is basically the size of an Iphone just a little chunkier, its very much a "drastic" change.

The games you miss out on may vary by region so I'll let someone in the US answer that for you.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
thcsquad said:
On PSN games: Is there a definitive list of non-PSN games? A 'these are the games you lose out on if you get a Go' list? Really I would mainly buy it for JRPGs. I'm sure the recent and upcoming ones in this thread are all available on PSN, but what about some older ones? Crisis Core? Jeanne D'Arc? Persona?
Crisis Core isn't. Jeanne D'Arc and Persona are.

Basically it boils down to, do you want deals? Because you can find Jeanne D'Arc and Persona, new on UMD, for $10 and $15 respectively. On PSN, they are $22.99 and $39.99 and who knows when or if they will drop.

Grimmy

Banned
Luigiv said:
Why isn't MHP3 on the list? You included other ARPGs on the list (some of which are MH clones themselves).

Because it hasn't been announced for North America? And like I said a few times, I don't list games that haven't been announced for localization.

Ricker said:
From the little we have seen so far,PE is more of a 3rd person shooter then a RPG,still on my PSP must buy list though,along with Ys and Valkyria...which reminds me I still didn`t finish Chronicles on the PS3...

Great OP,thanks.

Thanks. But The 3rd Birthday is an Action RPG. Even Square Enix lists the game as Action/RPG on their NA website.

Reknoc said:
Damn PSP is getting hella Ys. Want them but dunno if I can be bothered to import...

Why would you need to import? If you live in EU it will be up on PSN.

Prime crotch said:
Sony releasing a PSP emulator on the PS3 would be the best thing ever (for me)

Get out of my thread.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Where is the PSP-4000 so I can finally put my PSP-1000 to rest.

Doesn't look like it will be out this year since there's bundles announced for the new God of War already, and the game comes out in November. Still, the PSP Go was announced after the announcement of new bundles, so who knows?

Ruud_Luiten said:
Which of the above games are confirmed to work on PSPGo! ?

I didn't put this in the thread because, frankly, there's never been very clear announcements from the publishers on this (aside from a few like Cladun). We still don't know if Kingdom Hearts will be downloadable, and that's coming in a month!

I'm kind of interested in that Aksys game...Blazing Souls, I think it's called. It's made by the same people that did Agarest War.

Hcoregamer00

Grimmy said:
Doesn't look like it will be out this year since there's bundles announced for the new God of War already, and the game comes out in November. Still, the PSP Go was announced after the announcement of new bundles, so who knows?

I wish it were to come out, I am very close to buying the PSP-3000 just because my PSP-1000's analog stick is a little "decentered" (which means that when it is on the center, the cursor automatically moves to the right). Frankly, I am hoping for a PSP-4000 that is a teeny bit smaller and uses the PSP go screen, along with having the benefit of having an integrated cpu/gpu (amazing battery life).

Not to mention the console got a ton of use on it, and needs a replacement.

depward said:
I am ultra hyped for Phantasy Star Portable 2. Hope that there is a strong community.

Same here, I put well over 400 hours on PSP, and that is just doing mutiplayer with my little brother. I can't imagine how many hours I will put since this has actual internet.

Mechar

Neo Member
For me, it´s all about YS; since I have yet to play a YS-game, but The Oath in Felghana and I & II Chronicles both look like really well done ports, witch is not the case always regarding the PSP. Seven I´m passing up on for a while until I´ve played any of the previous ones, and feel an "urge" for playing the rest of the games in then series.

Tactics Ogre I most deffinitely will pick up. I do hope the rumours are true, and that they will sort of implement all the stories in one playthrough. Since Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games ever, this spiritual predecessor looks also really awesome!

Tiktaalik

Good thread! I didn't know about a couple of these, or at least didn't think they were getting a sure NA release.

PSP keeps truckin' along.

Takao

Banned
pancakesandsex said:

The Go actually has a few features that the 3000 doesn't. Bluetooth linking, which allows a Dualshock 3/Sixaxis controller to be linked for play, or allowed to be tethered to a cellphone for on the Go internet access. It also features a Pause state, that saves your state in a game, and allows you to exit it to play a different game, watch videos, browse the internet, or listen to a song. This allows you to stay sane in a long JRPG with far between saves ;). The form factor, non-existant load times, and the best screen on a PSP are added bonuses. :D

With all that said, if you truly want to play everything, and are a JRPG fan, go with the 3000. There are a lot of games that simply won't ever show up on PSN due to licensing issues. This could be simply the rights to a localization of a title expiring, music contracts not having been negotiated to allow digital distribution, if it's an adaptation of a film or TV show, the same applies, and even stubborn companies afraid of the digital frontier.

Boney

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I wish it were to come out, I am very close to buying the PSP-3000 just because my PSP-1000's analog stick is a little "decentered" (which means that when it is on the center, the cursor automatically moves to the right). Frankly, I am hoping for a PSP-4000 that is a teeny bit smaller and uses the PSP go screen, along with having the benefit of having an integrated cpu/gpu (amazing battery life).

Not to mention the console got a ton of use on it, and needs a replacement.
Suck and blow that shit!

It'll fix it.

gunstarhero

Nice thread!...

Mimana Iyar Chronicles
Company: Aksys Games
Category: Action RPG
Release Date: March 30th, 2010

Sigh. The story seems quite interesting, especially the characters (some of whom are deranged), and the voice acting is quite good, but I just couldn’t stand the godawful combat long enough to get any farther than the couple of hours I put into it.

... but whaaaaat?! Funny - I think the combat is the best thing about this game!

Can't wait for Phantasy Star Online 2 - played a lot of it in June and it was perfect imo. Looking forward to Ys as well.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just picked up PSP 1 and Dissidia at the TRU Buy 1 get 1 half off and they were both discounted. I loved Ark of Napishtim so I will defintely get the Y's game. You can also book me for Agito, 3rd Bday and TO when they hit. I bought my friends PSP for $100 earlier this year and its proven to be a good investment.

Synless

TheSeks said:
There's a demo of the first on PSN. If you like that, the first is worthwhile (if offline), the second has a JPN ONLY demo right now, but gives you an idea about the second (more of the same) + online.

Try them for yourself.
I forgot there was a demo, I will try the JP version for online though.

Grimmy

Banned
gunstarhero said:
(re: Mimana Iyar)... but whaaaaat?! Funny - I think the combat is the best thing about this game!

See SamBishop? There will always be someone who likes a given game, no mater how bad :lol

Just kidding, Gunstarhero. But seriously, I thought the character arcs were quite interesting at least. I guess I'll just watch youtube playthroughs instead.

Hcoregamer00

Boney said:
It's like you're reading, but not listening!

Sorry, I can't take you seriously when what you say is the same as your tagline.

I rather not do that unless there is tangible benefit.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My main wants are the Falcom games and Valkyria 2, but seriously... the PSP has an excellent RPG lineup, and it's been such a (pleasant) surprise to me how the system came from behind to kick total ass... even as it languishes in sales in the US market.

Of course, my ultimate dream is still for Vic and Gaijinworks to translate Tengai Makyo: The Apocalypse IV for US release, but I think the boat has long passed on that one.

I still have my trusty 1000 that I will be using to play all these games though! :D

Ikkarus

The main reason I bought a PSP was to play RPG's on it so this list makes me feel awesome that more is to come.

<3 PSP.

Top Bottom