• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010-2011 PSP RPG lineup, or why the PSP is the best system for JRPGs right now

Suzzopher

Sipowicz said:
STOP RECOMMENDING CRISIS CORE

seriously one of the worst things i've ever played

And boy, you sir aren't afraid to let EVERYONE know at EVERY opportunity. Here is an idea, why not let those who enjoyed it recommend it and those who have yet to play it decide for themselves?

Lard said:

Eh, I can see why some people would like the original Persona more, but First Departure, really? Just when it seems like the game is going to get interesting it ends. I like my RPGs to take me more than ten hours to beat.

KAL2006

Banned
rainking187 said:
Persona 3 Portable
Popolocrois
Star Ocean Second Evolution

Star Ocean 2nd Evolution is an average game, and Popolocrois is a niche game. I suggest Lunar: Silver Star Harmony. It is a traditional turn based JRPG, with a decent story and probably the most amazing 2D graphics in an RPG for PSP.

Grimmy

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
If I told you all I was in the mood for an RPG with lots of exploring what would you recommend?

Good question. Maybe either LUNAR or HEXYZ FORCE? Tales of Eternia is also a good choice.

Grimmy

Banned
Sorry for the bump but updated:

- Phantom Brave: Heroes of the Hermuda Triangle is included. Release date is March 18th, 2011
- updated some photos with new shots
- added Metacritic ratings

Interesting that quite a number of games on the list have scored well on Metacritic. They include:

Persona 3 Portable (91/100)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (82/100)
Valkyria Chronicles 2 (82/100)
Ys: The Oath in Felghana (80/100)
Ys 7 (80/100)
Cladun: This is an RPG (80/100)
Knights in the Nightmare (80/100)
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (80/100)

Not bad at all, especially if you love JRPGS on your PSP!

mr_chun

Damn it looks so impressive when you list 'em out like that.

Can't wait for 3rd Birthday myself, and I'm waiting on a price drop for BBS.

Grimmy

Banned
mr_chun said:

Exactly - what other system can boast of having *8* JRPGS with 80+ Metacritic score this year? PSP is where it's at! :D

Playing Cladun right now and think it's the perfect pickup-and-play game. Especially that Ranggeon option.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
PSP is my RPG machine this generation... and my favorite console this generation.

Can't wait for Ys Chronicles, Sora no Kiseki, and Square Enix stuff.

Grimmy

Banned
Fularu said:
Very weak RPG lineup

Only the Falcom stuff interests me... since most of the good games stay in Japan

How is that weak? Considering the lineup for 2010-2011 of other platforms, the PSP is by far the strongest JRPG-wise.

Salsa

Hey Grimmy some release dates need updates.

Patapon 3:

NA 9 March 2011
EU 17 December 2010

and on another note: man i need some new Agito info. I didnt liked XIII at all, but ive always had hopes for this one, where the fuck is it ?

SalsaShark said:

Patapon 3:

NA 9 March 2011
EU 17 December 2010

Is Patapon really not coming out in the US until March? Or is that just Sony's "We don't know when we're actually releasing it" placeholder date?

Paznos

mr_chun said:

BBS is $19.99 on Amazon for a couple more hours.

Grimmy

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Patapon 3:

NA 9 March 2011
EU 17 December 2010

and on another note: man i need some new Agito info. I didnt liked XIII at all, but ive always had hopes for this one, where the fuck is it ?

Is the 9th March date confirmed? Last I heard it was just Q1 2011.

*edit* checked it and yes it's March 9th. I'll change it now.

To be truthful Agito has NOT been announced for North America - but I really, really doubt that it won't come out in the West if it's released in Japan.

Apath

Persona 3 Portable is amazing. I'm not sure how the PS2 differs (I've heard the non-story segments aren't just text and menus), but everything flows incredibly well.

And didn't someone announce a game called Ushiro, where you're a spirit who goes around possessing people? What happened to that?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ULTROS! said:
PSP is my RPG machine this generation... and my favorite console this generation.

Can't wait for Ys Chronicles, Sora no Kiseki, and Square Enix stuff.

If it wasn't for the fact that using the analog nub gives me incredibly chronic joint pain, I would agree with you. My DS is still my platform of the generation.

Grimmy

Banned
Kenak said:
And didn't someone announce a game called Ushiro, where you're a spirit who goes around possessing people? What happened to that?

Cancelled. Plus, this thread is only for games announced for North America. So stuff like Valkyria III and Persona 2 Innocent Sin are *not* on the list (yet).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Grimmy said:
Sorry for the bump but updated:

- Phantom Brave: Heroes of the Hermuda Triangle is included. Release date is March 18th, 2011
- updated some photos with new shots
- added Metacritic ratings

Interesting that quite a number of games on the list have scored well on Metacritic. They include:

Persona 3 Portable (91/100)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (82/100)
Valkyria Chronicles 2 (82/100)
Ys: The Oath in Felghana (80/100)
Ys 7 (80/100)
Cladun: This is an RPG (80/100)
Knights in the Nightmare (80/100)
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (80/100)

Not bad at all, especially if you love JRPGS on your PSP!

80/100 is a great score, but Oath in Felghana deserves higher, imo.

Apath

Grimmy said:
Cancelled. Plus, this thread is only for games announced for North America. So stuff like Valkyria III and Persona 2 Innocent Sin are *not* on the list (yet).
D: That really sucks.
thetrin said:
80/100 is a great score, but Oath in Felghana deserves higher, imo.
I agree. It's one of the few titles I can say that any fan of the RPG genre should own or at least try.

Fularu

Banned
Grimmy said:
How is that weak? Considering the lineup for 2010-2011 of other platforms, the PSP is by far the strongest JRPG-wise.
It's weak because most of the stuff is uninspired at best.

As far as jRPG games go, only the Falcom stuff interests me and if you can't see what other plateforms are offering you, well I guess you can call such a weak line up "strong".

Hell the simple mention of NIS games as "strong rpgs" shows how weak the line up is.

To sum up :

9 ports
4 non RPG games
3 MH clones

Yeah, very strong RPG lineup

I already purchased Ys 7, III and Lunar though.

Hells

Banned
I wonder how many of these titles will receive ports or sequels to the 3DS?

i personally never liked the psp since day one and the only reason i am getting one is because of Tactics Ogre. i wish Square-Enix would make this downloadable on PSN for both PSP and PS3. Or direct port to 3DS plz???

Grimmy

Banned
Fularu said:
It's weak because most of the stuff is uninspired at best.

As far as jRPG games go, only the Falcom stuff interests me and if you can't see what other plateforms are offering you, well I guess you can call such a weak line up "strong".

Hell the simple mention of NIS games as "strong rpgs" shows how weak the line up is.

To sum up :

9 ports
4 non RPG games
3 MH clones

Yeah, very strong RPG lineup

I already purchased Ys 7, III and Lunar though.

Pleas enlighten me of another platform that has as many jRPGs coming out. The DS started out well in 2010 with Strange Journey, Dragon Quest IX, etc., but there only 2 games left upcoming - KH: Re:Coded, and the new Golden Sun. And the consoles are hopeless.

And dismissing NISA outright without even playing them - to each their own. I'm enjoying Cladun quite a bit right now.

Hells said:
I wonder how many of these titles will receive ports or sequels to the 3DS?

i personally never liked the psp since day one and the only reason i am getting one is because of Tactics Ogre. i wish Square-Enix would make this downloadable on PSN for both PSP and PS3. Or direct port to 3DS plz???

Please take port begging out of here please.

Grimmy

Banned
Well with luck Puzzle Quest 2 will come out in December... Did you try Hexyz Force? It's one of my favorites this year.

Oh, added JIKANDIA to the OP.

Wow this thread is brilliant and PSP looks loaded to fuck with RPGs.

The last one I really played and loved very much was Golden Sun way back on GBA. I also really enjoyed Patapon which isn't really RPG (going to get Patapon 3 this week). I think I am going to buy either Kingdom Hearts or Persona 3, need to have a read up some more.

Looks like PSP is the machine to have for RPGs. Also, what about Monster Hunter, or is that not really a RPG? The grind and collection element is appealing though :)

Shit, I've just discovered that Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 isn't available in the UK on either UMD or PSN. I can import of course but I wanted this before Xmas. Oh well :(

Oyashiro

I wonder if/when MonHun Portable 3 is coming to NA. I've never played a MonHun game but after seeing the official thread and watching a couple of gameplay videos, it looks really awesome and I'm super excited for it!

Also, I think the game I look forward to the most on PSP next year is PE3/3rd Birthday. I never beat PE1 or 2, but I did get pretty far in 1 and I absolutely loved it. I should try and get them on PSN if they're available.

Grimmy

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
did anybody ever ask capcom if they have plans to release it someday?

Pretty clear that at this point Last Ranker's not coming out here...

KennyLinder said:
Shit, I've just discovered that Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 isn't available in the UK on either UMD or PSN. I can import of course but I wanted this before Xmas. Oh well :(

If you're in the UK then your options are much less alas...

But Ys 7 is available for PSN in Europe - it's a great game.

Oyashiro said:
I wonder if/when MonHun Portable 3 is coming to NA. I've never played a MonHun game but after seeing the official thread and watching a couple of gameplay videos, it looks really awesome and I'm super excited for it!

Hard to imagine MHF3 NOT coming out - it's one of their biggest franchises right now.

faridmon

Crisis Core is bloody awful.

many of the PSP games, never come to Europe, But I agree, it have a massive RPG collection.

Other random games on UK PSN:

Cladun: This is an RPG
Distaera: Afternoon of Darkness
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley
Disgaera Infinite
Disgaera 2
Half Minute Hero (heard this is cool??)
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance
Shin Megami Tensi: Persona (doesnt say '3', original PS1?)
Z.H.P

Going to go for Ys Seven, liked the look of that on youtube, but what about any others from above to get us started? Something like Golden Sun would be awesome..

Grimmy

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Other random games on UK PSN:

Cladun: This is an RPG
Distaera: Afternoon of Darkness
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley
Disgaera Infinite
Disgaera 2
Half Minute Hero (heard this is cool??)
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance
Shin Megami Tensi: Persona (doesnt say '3', original PS1?)
Z.H.P

Going to go for Ys Seven, liked the look of that on youtube, but what about any others from above to get us started? Something like Golden Sun would be awesome..

Personally Ys 7 first, then Half-Minute Hero. I like both Z.H.P. and Cladun as well. Admittedly I never played the Disgaea games nor the PSP remake of Lunar (since I played it a bunch of times already), but all of these were well-reviewed.

Avoid the first Persona - the game has aged badly IMO.

I would love to play my PSP but my battery only lasts for a few minutes. Any where I can buy a QUALITY battery? I dont want those cheap batteries that only last for an hour or so and decreases alot by a few months.

Any recommendations?

Top Bottom