• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010-2011 PSP RPG lineup, or why the PSP is the best system for JRPGs right now

Ys Seven is ace so far, but its nails hard! On the very first boss you fight and my two dudes are getting fucking hammered! His spin attack shits health off of me like there is no tomorrow :D

pje122 said:
I have no idea what's on the store for $14. What are some of the choices?

Well that or less, obviously. I could also put more on there for $19.99 games. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions off the top of their head. Seeing stuff like Disgaea, Cladun, Half Minute Hero, Mana Khemia.

pje122

brandonh83 said:
Well that or less, obviously. I could also put more on there for $19.99 games. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions off the top of their head. Seeing stuff like Disgaea, Cladun, Half Minute Hero, Mana Khemia.
Well, I can tell you from that list Half-Minute Hero without a doubt. That game was an absolute joy, and is probably one of the better games on the platform.

pje122 said:
Well, I can tell you from that list Half-Minute Hero without a doubt. That game was an absolute joy, and is probably one of the better games on the platform.

Nice, thanks. I'll look into it. :D

Grimmy

Banned
pje122 said:

Ditto re: Half-Minute Hero.

pje122

Is Jean D'Arc available? I doubt that costs too much, and is a really well-made SRPG, without being overly complicated or frustrating.

pje122

I haven't played Brave Story. Apparently Milky really liked it.
Half-Minute Hero is hard to describe... watch some videos. It is a collection of games, but the main game (Hero 30) is the one that you most associate with it, and I don't know if I would necessarily call it all action. The pace isn't crazy all the time; when you get to towns things slow down and you have time to think more clearly.

Volcynika

brandonh83 said:

Wild ARMs XF is pretty good if you like SRPGs. Mana Khemia I'd recommend but I'm not sure if the PSN version made the port less awful than the UMD version. HMH was ok, I finished but it didn't strike a chord with me.

Grimmy

Banned
Updated with FFIV Complete Collection and the new release dates.

Alas my Tinypic account is going bonkers. Anyone has a nice 480x272 JPG FFIVCC photo I can link to for my post?

wrowa

Are modern PSP games still reasonably playable on a PSP-1000? I still have one lying around somewhere that's barely been used at all... but the recent line-up of PSP games is so good that I'm thinking about dusting it off.

Peff

wrowa said:
Are modern PSP games still reasonably playable on a PSP-1000? I still have one lying around somewhere that's barely been used at all... but the recent line-up of PSP games is so good that I'm thinking about dusting it off.

What do you mean exactly? Many new games have a Data Install option, so in most cases loading is neglilible regardless of the model you have. Newer PSPs are brighter, but there's no game that really needs that extra light (and even then the diference is nowhere near as bad as with the DS or the original GBA). So yeah, as long as you're comfortable holding it, you have a great catalog to go through.

wrowa

Peff said:
What do you mean exactly? Many new games have a Data Install option, so in most cases loading is neglilible regardless of the model you have. Newer PSPs are brighter, but there's no game that really needs that extra light (and even then the diference is nowhere near as bad as with the DS or the original GBA). So yeah, as long as you're comfortable holding it, you have a great catalog to go through.
I don't have a clue what the recent revisions of the PSP added to the hardware, that's why I was asking. This sounds good, though.

Sheesh March seems to be a pretty kick ass month (assuming the OP's release dates are still current)

The 3rd Birthday
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Dissidia 012
Jikandia
God Eater Burst
Patapon 3
... all this coming on the heels of Ys I and II this week and Tactics Ogre last week

Anyway I just picked up a PSP Go for Tactics Ogre and came into this threads looking for a nice non-srpg to play as well. Thinking I'll just wait for Trails in the Sky given the great things SpaceDrake (the item shop tale guy) said about it. Hopefully 3rd Birthday hits PSN

Ratrat

I'm looking to get some new games. Are there any good dungeon crawlers(like Etryian Odyssey) or tower defense game(excluding Monsters Deluxe)??

Ratrat

Ellis Kim said:
Savage Moon: The Hera Campaign was half off on last week's Spring sale. Its a tower defense game, and one of my favorites.
I remember not liking the ps3 demo due not being able to see anything. I love the concept though.

kpx0

Banned
JRPGs were my favorite genre back in the square glory days (chrono trigger - xenogears - vagrant story)... etc... i hate them now lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
kpx0 said:
JRPGs were my favorite genre back in the square glory days (chrono trigger - xenogears - vagrant story)... etc... i hate them now lol

That's nice.

This thread was linked in another thread, and is pretty informative. There are a lot of RPGs I'll have to check out. I'm curious though, they never did port Puzzle Quest II to the psp did they? I've scoured the net and I can't find an answer.

Well I had my PSP collecting dust ever since Kingdom Hearts came out. Didnt had lots of games either, just those welcome back games and MG. Looked for this thread, then went to gamestop and bought Crisis Core and Ys Seven Premium Edition. Loving Crisis Core right now, Ys will have to wait thou.

Anyways Im looking for something in particular. I want a 2D/3D Battle game RPG. Let me explain. I want the worlds to be a top view like Zelda or The first Final Fantasies. with good sprites, but when I meet an enemy I want the panorama to change for a 3D battle system. Is there a good one that is like this one?

inner-G

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
Well I had my PSP collecting dust ever since Kingdom Hearts came out. Didnt had lots of games either, just those welcome back games and MG. Looked for this thread, then went to gamestop and bought Crisis Core and Ys Seven Premium Edition. Loving Crisis Core right now, Ys will have to wait thou.

Anyways Im looking for something in particular. I want a 2D/3D Battle game RPG. Let me explain. I want the worlds to be a top view like Zelda or The first Final Fantasies. with good sprites, but when I meet an enemy I want the panorama to change for a 3D battle system. Is there a good one that is like this one?
Sounds like you may want something like a 'Tales of...' game?

Alex

Falcom games, Zettai Hero, Half-Min Hero, Cladun, etc >>> Square's past and future.

But at least they crawled out of their stupor long enough to contribute the Tactics Ogre remake. Let's see if they can get crackin' on a second good game in however many years that doesn't form from the Eidos or Enix factions of the company

If you want a traditional, top-down RPG then go for Trails in the Sky.

Grimmy

Banned
Sorry I haven't updated it for a while. I've now updated the first posts with Persona 2 PSP and Cladun x2, as well as new images and metacritic for the titles already out.

Now hopefully I can add Half-Minute Hero 2 and others to it :)

RoninChaos said:
This thread was linked in another thread, and is pretty informative. There are a lot of RPGs I'll have to check out. I'm curious though, they never did port Puzzle Quest II to the psp did they? I've scoured the net and I can't find an answer.

At this point it looks like vaporware, but who knows? As long as they haven't announce that it's cancelled, I'll keep it on the page.

Grimmy

Banned
Updated:

Added: FATE/EXTRA by Aksys
Updated: PUZZLE QUEST 2 coming in the next few months - is done, awaiting final certification.
Updated: New FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 photo without watermark

Rarutos

Wowza, good job for keeping this updated! The PSP really does need more love. :)

Really looking forward to Fate/extra! Thank the gods for Aksys!

Grimmy

Banned
UPDATED:

ADDED: Black Rock Shooter, Corpse Party (hey, why not jump the gun?)
UPDATED: Release dates of Cladun x2, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Fate/Extra
DELETED: Final Fantasy Type-0, since it looks like it won't come to the PSP now...

Grimmy said:
UPDATED:

DELETED: Final Fantasy Type-0, since it looks like it won't come to the PSP now...

Sad face.
Has there been an update on this that I missed?

SpaceBridge said:
Sad face.
Has there been an update on this that I missed?

It's actually quite possible/nearly certain that we're getting it, but the devs have openly acknowledged that the PSP, as a market, is fairly garbage in North America and they'll likely try to port it to another platform (some kind of PS3 Remaster release on the PSN is the current suspicion).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder when Trails in the Sky 2 is coming out, it's one of the PSP RPGs I'm definitely looking forward to.

SpaceDrake said:
It's actually quite possible/nearly certain that we're getting it, but the devs have openly acknowledged that the PSP, as a market, is fairly garbage in North America and they'll likely try to port it to another platform (some kind of PS3 Remaster release on the PSN is the current suspicion).

Really hope not. Id like to play Type-0 on the go.

ULTROS! said:
I wonder when Trails in the Sky 2 is coming out, it's one of the PSP RPGs I'm definitely looking forward to.

XSEED still isn't announcing a date, though I'd put money on them trying to get it out next year at some point. They knew they need to continue to strike while the iron is hot. The real question is whether or not a PSP release will be feasible, given the un-PSN-able nature of SC and the fact that UMDs will go over like lead bricks at NA retail next year with the Vita out and the 3DS well-entrenched.

Grimmy said:
UPDATED:

This isn't really an RPG, but eh, why not?

SpaceDrake said:

Considering SCEA wouldn't let Square do that without adding another game as well, I'm leaning towards an upscaled port in the Vita launch window myself.

ULTROS! said:

Who knows? 2012 hopefully.

Grimmy

Banned
re: CORPSE PARTY
hosannainexcelsis said:
This isn't really an RPG, but eh, why not?

Yup, it's not. But I'm trying to be inclusive here, since I think the game's format will appeal to RPGers :)

May16

Grimmy said:
Actually the game was never announced outside of Japan. So its inclusion here is premature.
It's a Final Fantasy. It'll happen regardless of PSP's status in North America. But yeah not announcement. (Yet.)

Grimmy

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
At this point, just about anything getting a Western PSP release should be celebrated.

I'd be truly grateful if we get get a few more titles like Half-Minute Hero 2 and Grand Knights History. But then, surprises like FATE/EXTRA and BLACK ROCK SHOOTER were already a gift.

Takao

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
At this point, just about anything getting a Western PSP release should be celebrated.

why isn't Metal Fight Beyblade Portable: Transcendence Reincarnation! Vulcan Horuseus being localized

Top Bottom