• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010-2011 PSP RPG lineup, or why the PSP is the best system for JRPGs right now

Emotions

Great that Cladun is coming out on UMD format as well i hate the PSN only releases specially for RPG's.. Nisa Redeemed!!!
People should really try getting the PSP-3000 the screens are night and day difference with the old models... specially the color depth and the brightness... old models' screens look really washed out. I can't go back to them.

Gladiator Begins may not be an RPG but it definitely deserves attention. I had so much fun with the demo and can't wait to transfer my file over.

farnham

Banned
definately not bad but id say the DSs JRPG line up is still a tad stronger

RPGs are the only games i can really enjoy since they dont use the atrocious analog nub

Augemitbutter said:
i wish somebody would localize shiren for psp.
shiren III is localized for the wii

so i guess localizing the psp port wouldnt be that hard

robut said:
Phantasy Star Portable 2 previews says it has in-depth single and mp modes. Does anyone know if your character carries over between the two?

I read somewhere that the character appearance does, but the level (and something else) does not.

MightyKAC

I think it's hilarious how my psp ends up being the RPG powerhouse that my PS3 never was.

Anyway viva la PSP. Definitely my System of the gen.

Now gimme my psp2 or psp 4000 or whatever!!!!!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Boney said:
Check the last two posts and the page that comes after it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399976&page=15

Seriously.

Okay, I will try it

Anybody that posts in the DQ9 thread is someone I can pay attention to ;)

MightyKAC said:
I think it's hilarious how my psp ends up being the RPG powerhouse that my PS3 never was.

Anyway viva la PSP. Definitely my System of the gen.

Now gimme my psp2 or psp 4000 or whatever!!!!!

I still want a PSP-4000 before PSP2, because I want a PSP-go screen, smaller processors, and smaller form factor. My PSP-1000 is old and needs a replacement of some kind.

Boney

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Okay, I will try it

Anybody that posts in the DQ9 thread is someone I can pay attention to ;)
My nub is a bit broken as well, but some blowing and moving the thing around seems to fix it.

BitchTits

I just watched the trailer for Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman - I'm not really sure what the hell was going on, but I know that I will be definately keeping an eye out for this when it's released! :lol

Hot damn! After seeing that trailer, Ys 7 is definitely on my radar. I don't know about the older ones, bumping into things for an entire game doesn't sound appealing.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't believe there are this many jRPGs coming out for the thing. Honestly, I always loved my PSP and felt it was the best handheld this gen... but I was starting to finally move away from handhelds as the PSP continued to tank and few games of note came out for it.

But this jRPG lineup, well it intrigues me. Nothing like stat grinding on the go.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
I still want a PSP-4000 before PSP2, because I want a PSP-go screen, smaller processors, and smaller form factor. My PSP-1000 is old and needs a replacement of some kind.

I just want the 4000 to have bluetooth + tv-out support so I can PSP from my comfy couch. That would probably get me to play my PSP games a whole lot more.

mistuhcahlos said:
Hot damn! After seeing that trailer, Ys 7 is definitely on my radar. I don't know about the older ones, bumping into things for an entire game doesn't sound appealing.

Only the 1&2 remakes still have the "bumping into things" combat, but it does have a charm to it, and you do have to aim at a certain part of the monster to get the best hits. Its extremely fast paced, and nothing beats rushing a mob of like 20 monsters and seeing all their body parts fly in every direction. You also get magic projectiles in the second game. The remake of 3, The Oath in Felghana has a similar battle system to 6 and 7.

Jigsaw

Banned
Parallax said:
Tales of phantasia what?

its been out in japan since today
topndx-boxart.jpg

remake of a gbc game,tales of phantasia 1 is included on the umd as a bonus :\

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Jigsaw said:
its been out in japan since today
topndx-boxart.jpg

remake of a gbc game,tales of phantasia 1 is included on the umd as a bonus :\
Huh, are there any screenshots of this? I know i won't ever see it im english, but i would like to see how it looks

Grimmy

Banned
Spiegel said:
Now if only Capcom and Sega would confirm a western release for Last Ranker and Yakuza...

And Atlus with Growlanser. And XSEED with Brandish: Dark Revenant.
Am not even gonna bother mentioning the Tales games or Far East of Eden.

Shadow Red said:
Gladiator Begins may not be an RPG but it definitely deserves attention. I had so much fun with the demo and can't wait to transfer my file over.

AMEN.

Parallax said:
Huh, are there any screenshots of this? I know i won't ever see it im english, but i would like to see how it looks

A simple youtube search wouldn't suffice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vyOXbExBx4

braves01

Banned
Since I'm sure this is as good a place as any: I want to get into Strat RPGs before the new Tactics Ogre comes out, but I don't know where to start. I've got my eyes on either FFT: War of the Lions, Jeanne D'Arc, or Disgaea. What does GAF recommend?

Grimmy

Banned
braves01 said:
Since I'm sure this is as good a place as any: I want to get into Strat RPGs before the new Tactics Ogre comes out, but I don't know where to start. I've got my eyes on either FFT: War of the Lions, Jeanne D'Arc, or Disgaea. What does GAF recommend?

I'd recommend Jeanne d'Arc first since it's more accessible and polished. Then FFT. Then Disgaea... And don't forget Wild Arms XF.

AwRy108

Grimmy said:
I'd recommend Jeanne d'Arc first since it's more accessible and polished. Then FFT. Then Disgaea... And don't forget Wild Arms XF.

Perfect order. Def. start with Jeanne d'Arc.

Oh, and great thread BTW. Thanks for keeping it updated, too.

Grimmy

Banned
Thanks! :) Really appreciate all the kind feedback from everyone. It's my first epic thread, so I'm glad that it went down well.

Grimmy

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but I've updated the OP with new release dates for:

Cladun: This is an RPG - September 7th, 2010
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman - October 26th, 2010

Also updated the format of upcoming games in the Fall/Winter.

I love harvest moon games and FIEND that shit but I can't get myself to buy hero of leaf valley. I hear it's less on the social stuff (no having kids, not a lot of festivals and so on) and heavy on the chores (part time jobs and all that).

I need a perfect mix, don't have a DS or Wii btw, which I have seriously considered buying in the past for them lol, tis my great shame. Anyone play this one though that can shed some light?

P.S. Great thread! Love my PSP, played some of the best games this generation on it.

Grimmy

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
I love harvest moon games and FIEND that shit but I can't get myself to buy hero of leaf valley. I hear it's less on the social stuff (no having kids, not a lot of festivals and so on) and heavy on the chores (part time jobs and all that).

I need a perfect mix, don't have a DS or Wii btw, which I have seriously considered buying in the past for them lol, tis my great shame. Anyone play this one though that can shed some light?

P.S. Great thread! Love my PSP, played some of the best games this generation on it.

Actually RPGfan says:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Harvest_Moon_Hero_of_Leaf_Valley/index.html

"I'll just note that everything else that has been a major part of past Harvest Moon games are still intact, such as farming, raising animals, festivals, romancing a member of the opposite sex, and trying to make friends by giving them gifts."

Doesn't sound like the festivals part is cut out. But lots of complaints about the loading times, so if you're interested the PSN version is probably best, since at least the load times problem is resolved.

But overall this and the IGN review both say it's the best Harvest Moon game on the PSP.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/109/1090905p1.html

Dai Kaiju

So...can someone give me 3 rpgs on the psp that I absolutely must own? A lot of them look cool but I don't have time to read up on every single one...

Fusebox

Banned
Dai Kaiju said:
So...can someone give me 3 rpgs on the psp that I absolutely must own? A lot of them look cool but I don't have time to read up on every single one...

Crisis Core
Jeanne D'Arc
Tales of Eternia

It really depends on what kind of RPGs you're into. Do you prefer strategy RPGs? Action RPGs? Dungeon crawlers?

I mean, just to generally toss three out there:
Persona 3 Portable (if you haven't played P3 before, that is)
Crisis Core (if you're into FF7 or action RPGs, or you're looking for something cinema heavy... it's very RPG lite though)
Ys 7 (if you're into action RPGs, anyway)

Jigsaw said:
crisis core
dissidia
persona 3
He asked for RPGs. Dissidia is a fighting game, man.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It really depends on what kind of RPGs you're into. Do you prefer strategy RPGs? Action RPGs? Dungeon crawlers?

I mean, just to generally toss three out there:
Persona 3 Portable (if you haven't played P3 before, that is)
Crisis Core (if you're into FF7 or action RPGs, or you're looking for something cinema heavy... it's very RPG lite though)
Ys 7 (if you're into action RPGs, anyway)

He asked for RPGs. Dissidia is a fighting game, man.

If you're going to rec Crisis Core you might as well tell him to wait a week until we get what will probably be a far better aRPG anyway.

yurinka

Pureauthor said:
Maybe if it ever gets localized.

Like 7th Dragon and DQMJ2 and and and
Well, I assume it's going to be localized (some months after Japanese release) since:

-Capcom localized all their previous main RPGs: BOF games and main Monster Hunter (if they can be considered RPG) games
-LR looks like more a "high profile game" than other recent Capcom games like Okamiden, Basara 3 or Ghost Trip, that also could be considered games focused to Japan only
-The game is more action focused than a typical RPG so its target would be broader
-The pedigree of the main staff would ensure a certain level of success in terms of quality and sales considering mid tier RPG market, PSP games sales and BOF sales
-PSP is pretty much dead in NA, but looks like it's still more or less alive in other places outside Japan (so mainly Europe)

Ehn, I wouldn't count on Last Ranker. The bottom's dropping out the PSP market fast in NA and I think Capcom is pretty aware of that.

It's not a BoF game, they're not going to be able to market it as one, which means it will sell what any no-name RPG on the PSP sells in NA, between 10k and 30k. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I have a feeling it's going to suffer the same fate as Niinou's other big game post-Atlus.

Quantity over quality it seems. Cladun is the only game there that interests me. Maybe Phantasy Star but it seems like not many peeps play it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dai Kaiju said:

Persona 3 Portable
Ys Seven
Star Ocean First Departure/Second Story

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dai Kaiju said:
Brave Story New Traveler
Half-Minute Hero
Persona 3 Portable

Grimmy

Banned
yurinka said:
I know it isn't a pure JRPG, but I think Last Ranker can be included in the list, nope?

Nope. Only games officially confirmed for North America are included in this list. Last Ranker has never been announced for localization.

Dai Kaiju said:

Persona 3 Portable
Popolocrois
Star Ocean Second Evolution

Dai Kaiju said:
Is it a good fighting game though? If so, I might have to check it out.
It's unbalanced as all hell, and more than a little silly, but there's lots of stuff to do and of course the fan-service is top-notch. You could do a lot worse.

Top Bottom