• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread: Updated 1/4

DSc said:
gamerzines

Thanks for the informative post, but it doesn't look like the site picked a sole GOTY.

Current standings...

Red Dead Redemption - 17
Mass Effect 2 - 12
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 6
Heavy Rain - 4
Alan Wake - 1
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 1
Bayonetta - 1
BioShock 2 - 1
Fallout: New Vegas - 1
Minecraft - 1
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - 1

Rolf NB

Eat Lead: The Return Of Matt Hazard has inarguably better gameplay than Mass Effect 2. And how many GOTY awards did it get?

Yay for gaming.

Firestorm

Jtyettis said:
Adding in the old iphone now I see, nice. Yea when was the last time any of these previous years did the GOTY reviewers include iphone games.
Isn't that the point of his argument?

Anyhow, I pulled the chart for Nov 09 that says it all. Right, not supposed to do revenue share now right? Basing Farmville on what then. Come on.
30 million active monthly users?

Firestorm

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)

Peter Nowak said:
Few games feature a finale that is as well-paced and fulfilling, leaving players to anticipate the third part of the story, which is coming in 2011.
  1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  4. codblops
  5. Limbo
  6. God of War III
  7. Kirby's Epic Yarn
  8. Dance Central
  9. Halo: Reach
  10. GoldenEye 007

He seems to have specifically limited his list to console games.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/story/2010/12/28/2010-best-video-games.html

FrankT

miladesn said:

Slightly surprised.

Firestorm said:
Isn't that the point of his argument?

Is it? So why in the world should it be included in comparison here on a share level.

Firestorm said:
30 million active monthly users?

Which is exactly my point revenue based on transactions which we have no idea what that entails. But it is revenue share which was exactly what I was comparing.

Cheesemeister said:
Thanks for the informative post, but it doesn't look like the site picked a sole GOTY.

Current standings...

Red Dead Redemption - 17
Mass Effect 2 - 12
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 6
Heavy Rain - 4
Alan Wake - 1
Bayonetta - 1
BioShock 2 - 1
Minecraft - 1

Lining up basically as I thought it would this year as far as top 3.

Edit: It's also interesting to see Fallout: New Vegas so much lower than Fallout 3 in their respective years. I wonder if the somewhat critical launch in the eyes of reviewers (so many bugs) weighed heavily here. It would seem to me much of GAF prefers the former over the latter.

FrankT

Oh that moves it to 17-14....geting close.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Damn, maybe I should have bought both Mass Effect when they were on sale...:lol

$10 bucks shipped. All the major DLC under $7. Chyea.

Kusagari

Jtyettis said:
Edit: It's also interesting to see Fallout: New Vegas so much lower than Fallout 3 in their respective years. I wonder if the somewhat critical launch in the eyes of reviewers (so many bugs) weighed heavily here. It would seem to me much of GAF prefers the former over the latter.

When so many critics have chimed in about how the bugs have stopped them from even being able to complete the game it's no real surprise.

While I really like New Vegas (it's better than Fallout 3 which was my GOTY for 2008) , it doesn't deserve to win shit. It was, and still is a buggy mess. The patch fixed some things, but the game still locks up a lot and I have to reset my 360 every hour or so to prevent long ass load times (which kind of happened in Oblivion but I never had that problem with Fallout 3).

Still a good game though. But I think Red Dead Redemption definitely was the best of the year.

FrankT

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
While I really like New Vegas (it's better than Fallout 3 which was my GOTY for 2008) , it doesn't deserve to win shit. It was, and still is a buggy mess. The patch fixed some things, but the game still locks up a lot and I have to reset my 360 every hour or so to prevent long ass load times (which kind of happened in Oblivion but I never had that problem with Fallout 3).

Still a good game though. But I think Red Dead Redemption definitely was the best of the year.

I haven't had but one hard lock in a good while. Though loading gets really bad after while without a cache clear. I do it every so often just for this game. Still I'm one that prefers Fallout 3 to New Vegas in a lot of ways. Though I admit lots was a improved upon in NV+companions is great.

-viper-

Banned
I hope Black Ops wins best FPS.

The campaign is fucking phenomenal. The presentation and the style is fantastic. Love the (cinematic) feel.

The campaign blows away Halo Reach and Medal of Honor.

FPS of the year, no fucking doubt. The A.I. is so fucking shitty on veteran but on hardened mode, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Cyberia

DarkStation: RDR

I look at John Marston as kind of the Michael Jordan or Joe Montana of Red Dead Redemption. Without MJ or Joe Montana the Bulls and 49ers would have never been nearly as successful, and in my opinion the same could be said about Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar really nailed Marston’s character and when you combine the amazing storyline with what is the best open world game of this generation, you have the top game of 2010, Red Dead Redemption.

http://darkstation.com/features/top-10-games-of-2010/

Worthplaying: RDR

Red Dead Redemption is one of the best sandbox games ever released and is an absolute treasure trove of freedom. You can spend your days as a hunter, a gambler, a bounty hunter, or whatever else comes to mind. It only gets better once you go online and play with other people, turning the entire world into your playground. In this respect, Red Dead Redemption has no equal. Fans would do well to pick up what can now be considered the best Western game out so far.

http://worthplaying.com/event/Misc_Events/Top_Games_of_2010/79088/

I've added a bunch more media picks and it looks as if Mass Effect 2 is closing in on Red Dead Redemption.

Current standings...

Red Dead Redemption - 25
Mass Effect 2 - 21
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 7
Heavy Rain - 5
Minecraft - 2
Alan Wake - 1
Bayonetta - 1
Bioshock 2 - 1
Halo: Reach - 1

Any others?

I'm really shocked at the lack of Halo Reach and Super Mario Galaxy 2 awards. I'm not saying that I personally think they deserve more but you would think games from these franchises that were received so well would have gotten more recognition, especially Reach. Wonder if Bungie cares.

szaromir

Banned
jonnybryce said:
I'm really shocked at the lack of Halo Reach and Super Mario Galaxy 2 awards. I'm not saying that I personally think they deserve more but you would think games from these franchises that were received so well would have gotten more recognition, especially Reach. Wonder if Bungie cares.
I think journalists tend to award newer series and ideas. Reach and SMG2 are terrific games and they both reviewed greatly, but they're straightforward sequels. Similarly God of War 3 doesn't seem to be getting awards. RDR and ME2, although sequels, are both changed significantly compared to their precedessors.

On one hand I'd prefer games media to award perfection a bit more, as both ME2 and RDR are lacking significantly, on the other it's sorta interesting at it makes it impossible to predict future GOTY awards.

mavs

Fredescu said:
Not as many as Bioshock, which I think supports VKS' argument. Click the 2007 link in the OP to have a look. It's also funny that every nominee for the Spike VGAs was a sequel, so we can hardly say that SMG2 wasn't there because SMG1 also exists.

Half of those Bioshock awards aren't from gaming media. They're from mainstream media.

Ryu Hayabusa said:

How do you figure? I see 5 editors' top 3 listed, and no overall GOTY named.

Current standings:

Mass Effect 2 - 40.5
Red Dead Redemption - 32.5
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 9
Heavy Rain - 5.5
Minecraft - 2
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - 2
Alan Wake - 1
Bayonetta - 1
Bioshock 2 - 1
Super Meat Boy - 0.5

Just about all of the media outlets from years past are represented. IGN posts its GOTY on the 14th. Will there be any more movement?

Cheesemeister said:
How do you figure? I see 5 editors' top 3 listed, and no overall GOTY named.

Current standings:

Mass Effect 2 - 40.5
Red Dead Redemption - 32.5
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 9
Heavy Rain - 5.5
Minecraft - 2
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - 2
Alan Wake - 1
Bayonetta - 1
Bioshock 2 - 1
Super Meat Boy - 0.5

Just about all of the media outlets from years past are represented. IGN posts its GOTY on the 14th. Will there be any more movement?

This site tracks a bunch of GOTY winners

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

They currently have the RDR at 60 and ME2 at 50 in terms of critic picks. SMG2 is at 10. I'm not sure which specific sites/mags are missing from your list though.

Top Bottom