• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Dedication Through Light said:
Ano hana 5 & 6

Yukiatsu got cool. Anaru and Jintan need to get together.
I am looking forward to your thought about this series. I had some bicvkering discussion with people around here as they thought it was trash, while I liked it.

Steroyd

faridmon said:
I am looking forward to your thought about this series. I had some bicvkering discussion with people around here as they thought it was trash, while I liked it.

Oh it's far from trash, just too many flaws and wasted episodes.

Episode 5 of Chihayafuru is a good example of how to marry events that happened in the past and intertwine them into the present, while progressing the story along.

faridmon said:

Im enjoying it so far. Episode 1, 4, and 6 have been good episodes. Currently I feel that
Menma should have started at least appearing to everyone during their capstone emotional moments, if that makes sense.

Nichijou 9

Well I think I found a second favorite skit in this anime (first favorite was the drawing scene in the classroom), the mosquito one, loved the animation and it was so hilarious.

faridmon

Steroyd said:
Oh it's far from trash, just too many flaws and wasted episodes.
I hear you, but I just thought it was quite coherent and did it job decently. There were some stupid melodrama, yes, but the level of hate it gets is unjustified.
Yes, it was quite weak, but I thought it was decent.
Dedication Through Light said:
Im enjoying it so far. Episode 1, 4, and 6 have been good episodes. Currently I feel that
Menma should have started at least appearing to everyone during their capstone emotional moments, if that makes sense.
i get what you mean, and that is where the main backlash to the Anime comes from. One which I can' argue against. The whole show was just a horrible tease from the start to finish.

trejo

Chihayafuru 5

Freakin' Arata is disrespecting the heart of the cards, man. To be honest, I found the explanation a little contrived but I guess they needed to make him quit somehow to set things in motion.

The episode was still pretty damn good and it remains absolutely beautiful to watch.

also, dat head tilt.

PZ9uPl.jpg

Chihayafuru 4-5

Really good episodes and especially how episode 5 finished on a high note while watching both eps. I feel sorry for Taichi whenever he tries something, because I can't help but feel that he'll just be in the friend zone and that everything he does will be pointless. Too bad Sensei is way ahead of both guys though.

Woo, power finally back! Got 4 days worth of anime to catch up on now. Both awesome and crappy.

Anything good happen while I was gone? Not even gonna attempt to read 4 days worth of pages in this thread.

NewFresh

cosmicblizzard said:
Woo, power finally back! Got 4 days worth of anime to catch up on now. Both awesome and crappy.

Anything good happen while I was gone? Not even gonna attempt to read 4 days worth of pages in this thread.

This happened.

Dresden said:
f3639990.jpg

"AKB Official Net, the new Internet service provider branded by the all-female idol group AKB48, will launch on Tuesday with several unique value-added features such as "AKBaby." AKBaby lets a subscriber submit a personal photo, and the service will merge the photo with one of the AKB48 members to show what their future child would look like."

cajunator

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

What? there was a power outage?
How do you guys put up with those?
Hardly ever happens here unless it is a really bad hurricane.

Kettch

As a fan of the manga, Bakuman 2 05 was the first really good episode of the series I'd say. Finally have the author teams assembled, so there were a lot of great Hiramaru and Fukuda scenes. Hopefully Hiramaru continues to save the anime as well.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
cajunator said:
What? there was a power outage?
How do you guys put up with those?
Hardly ever happens here unless it is a really bad hurricane.
Tons of early snow in New England. Lots of people still w/o power.

I got lucky.

faridmon

Kettch said:
As a fan of the manga, Bakuman 2 05 was the first really good episode of the series I'd say. Finally have the author teams assembled, so there were a lot of great Hiramaru and Fukuda scenes. Hopefully Hiramaru continues to save the anime as well.
I have to start watch the series. I loved Death Note, so another take on a tired Shonen standard is welcomed by me.

zeroshiki

I only have eroge friends (pool edition!) - 03

Not as funny as Episode 2 and the fanservice was kinda excessive but Meat is super awesome. Imagining Sena as Ohana only makes the whole thing awesomer.

They're seriously doing the childhood friend thing though and I really hope they never resolve it because that would annoy me quite a bit. This does not need to be Love Hina so I hope the author doesn't go in that direction.

Cwarrior

Ben-to 3

good ep, gun dogs enter and lol oshiror with her crazy imagination.

Ben-to 4
Worst episode the harem rears it's ugly head.
Show did not need the cousin archetype(none do), kill it and kill it with fire

Grzi

ultron87 said:
Should I keep watching Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry?

The first episode was enjoyable in that
it looked like a basic school show with giant robots and then proceeded to murder everyone but the main character.

I'm through episode 4 now through Netflix and it seems... alright, I guess?
The ridiculous shifts in tone are a little jarring. It's only 13 episodes so it wouldn't be a huge investment of my time.

Yeah you should. It's a surprisingly good show that most people pass up because it looks too generic.

Jex

trejo said:
Chihayafuru 5

Freakin' Arata is disrespecting the heart of the cards, man. To be honest, I found the explanation a little contrived but I guess they needed to make him quit somehow to set things in motion.

The episode was still pretty damn good and it remains absolutely beautiful to watch.

also, dat head tilt.

PZ9uPl.jpg
Shaft Sailor Moon's inspiration is spreading.

Mirai Nikki 4

12th's insanity translates pretty damn well to anime. The transformation song was a nice touch.

Really love how they're going all out with the facial expressions. This is the reason I was excited in the first place.

gunbo13

So has anyone done a tier list of this season yet? So far I've watched Tomodachi, Ben-Tou, Masume, and 3 episodes of Cube. I dropped the two panty shot / nude series for the censoring. I don't necessary care about the T&A but the censoring just fucking annoys me.

I'm a Tomodachi fan since I love the manga. They sort of crapped the comedy on the
game
episode but have done well to the material otherwise. I like the visual style of the manga much better then the LN (which they used with all the weird facial proportions) but they went with the easier to animate style.

Ben-Tou is just ridiculous containing awesomeness in the process. I really don't even want a central plot cause I can't envision any possibility that makes a lick of sense. Just keep it gamey with mid-bosses and the final hungriest man. Keep the fanservice and yuri abuse up.

Masume is pretty much well...Masume. It's just a breather.

Cube is IDK after just the 3 episodes. I'll have to see.

Hates self for not watching Chihayafuru yet.

scy

gunbo13 said:
I'm a Tomodachi fan since I love the manga. They sort of crapped the comedy on the
game
episode but have done well to the material otherwise. I like the visual style of the manga much better then the LN (which they used with all the weird facial proportions) but they went with the easier to animate style.

It's doing well so far but, yeah, they definitely are ramping up the fan service elements which I'm a little hesitant towards :/ Kind of curious how things pan out but my LN knowledge of the series is pretty much non-existent (and the manga has only gone so far).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
gunbo13 said:
So has anyone done a tier list of this season yet? So far I've watched Tomodachi, Ben-Tou, Masume, and 3 episodes of Cube. I dropped the two panty shot / nude series for the censoring. I don't necessary care about the T&A but the censoring just fucking annoys me.

From what I've watched this season, this is how I'd rank em from my favorites to the total dredge:

Fate/Zero (9)
Chihayafuru (9)
Working'!! (9)
BokuTomo (8)
Guilty Crown (8)
Last Exile Fam (8)
Mirai Nikki (8)
Ika Musume S2 (8)
Tamayura (7)
Mashiro-iro (7)
Persona 4 (7)
Cube Cubed (6)
Ben-To (6)
Kimi to Boku (5)
Gundam Age (5)
Phi Brain (5)
Horizon (4)
Un-Go (4)
Maken-Ki (4)

gunbo13

scy said:
It's doing well so far but, yeah, they definitely are ramping up the fan service elements which I'm a little hesitant towards :/ Kind of curious how things pan out but my LN knowledge of the series is pretty much non-existent (and the manga has only gone so far).
The manga is full of about the same amount of fan-service. I think the OP kind of increases it in your mind a bit. Also the drawing style and the boob camera shots. So yea, there is a bit more cuts and highlights on the girls themselves.

But the main plot in Tomodachi hasn't even been explored and only alluded too. They are still in the beginning antics of the assembling the group and having them do crazy stuff (and a lot of it is very funny). I hope the
shared novel
gets animated as it is the highlight so far. I was actually a bit surprised by the reveal of an anime when the main event was yet to come. But a lot of series get away with absent plot so I guess it's fine.
darkside31337 said:
From what I've watched this season, this is how I'd rank em from my favorites to the total dredge:

Fate/Zero
Chihayafuru
Working'!!
BokuTomo
Guilty Crown
Last Exile Fam
Mirai Nikki
Ika Musume S2
Tamayura
Mashiro-iro
Persona 4
Cube Cubed
Ben-To
Kimi to Boku
Gundam Age
Phi Brain
Horizon
Un-Go
Maken-Ki
Wow at Un-Go. I'll have to check out Last Exile cause I am a huge fan of the original. I don't see how Clause and Lavie can be topped though. Your top shows are about what I would expect and likely agree upon. The only one I'm shifty eyes about is Mirai Nikki since I heard bad things about the ending.
Don't spoil

Jex

darkside31337 said:
From what I've watched this season, this is how I'd rank em from my favorites to the total dredge...
As most of this season is trash, the only things of note are:

Chihayafuru
Fate/Zero
Ben To

and then stop.

Branduil

Hitokage said:
The whole HHHNNNNNNNGGGGGHH thing.

Not seriously, of course, but I can tell what sort of reaction is being sought out.
Well it knows what its goal is and how to achieve it. Whether that goal is something worthwhile is up to debate.

scy

gunbo13 said:
The manga is full of about the same amount of fan-service. I think the OP kind of increases it in your mind a bit. Also the drawing style and the boob camera shots. So yea, there is a bit more cuts and highlights on the girls themselves.

It's definitely the OP but a lot of the manga fanservice stuff is just ... there. It's a bit different when the scene gets animated and we get distracting breasts or camera angles. That's what makes it feel a bit worse, really.

But the main plot in Tomodachi hasn't even been explored and only alluded too. They are still in the beginning antics of the assembling the group and having them do crazy stuff (and a lot of it is very funny). I hope the
shared novel
gets animated as it is the highlight so far. I was actually a bit surprised by the reveal of an anime when the main event was yet to come. But a lot of series get away with absent plot so I guess it's fine.

Well, I know bits of upcoming events from reading the LN to a point (well, and the manga) and there's enough material to last. Just more curious on the way the anime is going to go rather than if they have material. Full adaptation or an anime-only conclusion? That sort of thing.

Rankings? I love rankings!

8:
Chihayafuru

7:
Fate/Zero
Working'!!

6:
Tamayura
Ben-To
Hunter X Hunter (Dropped)

5-6:
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

5:
Phi Brain (Dropped)

3:
C3 (Dropped)
Un-Go (Dropped)

That's how I'd rank the new shows of this season that I've seen. Chihayafuru, Fate/Zero, and Working'!! are the only ones I'd bother to watch if they weren't airing right now.

Dresden

Chihayafuru and Ben-to, for me. Still catching up on Fat/Ero and Wheelchair Crown is a week-by-week thing.

e: as for P4 the Chie stuff seems to be over so I'm on break until camping trip/field trip/school festival/SEMPAISEMPAISEMPAI happens.

Rankings? Fuck rankings!

9:
Mirai Nikki

8:
Guilty Crown
Persona 4

7:
Horizon
Fate/Zero
Hunter x Hunter
C3

6:
Ben-to
All my friends are dead
Phi-Brain
Ika Musume 2

Shit, I'm watching 11 shows this season? Might have to drop something soon.

iavi

zeroshiki said:
I only have eroge friends (pool edition!) - 03

Not as funny as Episode 2 and the fanservice was kinda excessive but Meat is super awesome. Imagining Sena as Ohana only makes the whole thing awesomer.

They're seriously doing the childhood friend thing though and I really hope they never resolve it because that would annoy me quite a bit. This does not need to be Love Hina so I hope the author doesn't go in that direction.

They're definitely going to resolve it, I bet cash money.

As for my rankings:

1.Working'!!
2.Ben-to/Boku wa Tomodachi ga sukunai

Though, I'm dangerously close to dropping that second tier.

scy

I don't do numerical rankings so ...

Look forward to:
Guilty Crown
Horizon
Haganai
Ben-To
Shana Final

When I remember / waiting to marathon:
C^3
Fate/Zero

Stuff I feel bad for not watching yet:
Chihayafuru
Mirai Nikki
Working'!!, even if I've never seen the first season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru 5:
Watched the episode again and here was that awesome shot. So beautiful:
rI5r1l.jpg

I mean, even the poem (probably) makes sense in this shot.

trejo

Rank A - the good stuff

Chihayafuru
Ben-To

Rank B - the watchable stuff

Fate/Zero
Working'!!
Guilty Crown
Mirai Nikki
Ika Musume S2

Rank C - the stuff I watch due to a sick sense of obligation or because of reasons

BokuTomo
Last Exile Fam
Persona 4
Un-Go

Rank D - Shit sucked and/or was boring so, dropped

C3
Kimi to Boku
Gundam Age
Phi Brain
Horizon
Hunter X Hunter

Funny how my two top shows are ones I couldn't have given two shits about at the start of the season.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Will continue to watch:
Ben-To!
Chihayafuru
UN-GO
Phi Brain
Boku Tomo
Gundam AGE

Was already continuing to watch:
Mawaru Penguindrim
Detective Conan
iDOLM@STER

Will eventually get around to:
Fate/Zero
Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Maken-Ki

Need to get to:
Stein's;Gate

Have no idea at this point, will depend on my mood:
Guilty Crown

Dropped like a bad habit:
C3
Kimi to Boku

-Minsc- said:
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing 1-3

Liking it so far, definitely feels like Last Exile.

There definitely are questions as to how it relates to the original series but that's not a problem. I'm sure we'll have a decent enough explanation at some point.
Some questions? It makes no sense!

Here's some things I've noticed.

Around 6:25 in to episode one Dio looks to the sky and sees a star appear and comments "Ah. So you've returned, too. The place where all are born and where all will return. A blue world. Here we see a ship which looks like the Exile from the original series. Could this be more people coming from Anatoray and Disith?

There are six crescent moons in the sky an one was confirmed to be an Exile. Assuming one is the real moon, there should be four additional moon Exiles in orbit.

Here's my view on how this relates to the original series. There are many off world colonies. Claus and company are the most recent returnees (within the past 2-3 years. The Turan's arrived about 118 years ago and displaced the native population from their lands. They should not be confused as descendants of the people from the first series. The fate of them is yet to be explained.

Another thing to note. At the beginning of the third episode the old General gives up pursuit of an enemy. He makes the comment "Sylvius, the Reaper...". Here we see the silhouette of a ship similar (but not the same) to that of the Silvana. Red Herring? We'll see.
Now that's a good theory, and would indeed explain what's going on pretty well, as far as dates/peoples are concerned at least. That could be right.

However, I do still wonder about the technology -- the original show said that it was the Guild that kept the tech on the planet at that level, so no radio communications, etc. But... this places doesn't seem to have a Guild. Why is their tech level identical? It doesn't make sense, beyond "well it's Last Exile so it needs ot be the same". And that's not an explanation, really.

gunbo13 said:

Top:
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing

Middle (could also move up or down depending on how they go):
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Ben-To
Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls

Low:
C3 (Dropped)
Maken-Ki

There are more shows I'm meaning to watch, but haven't actually started yet, like Fate Zero, Chihayafuru, maybe Tamayura, maybe Un-Go, etc.

Wow at Un-Go. I'll have to check out Last Exile cause I am a huge fan of the original. I don't see how Clause and Lavie can be topped though.
Don't worry, Fam is pretty awesome.

Cwarrior said:
Ben-to 3

good ep, gun dogs enter and oshiror with her crazy imagination.
Indeed.

Ben-to 4
Worst episode the harem rears it's ugly head.
Show did not need the cousin archetype(none do), kill it and kill it with fire
Again, I entirely agree. :(

Velti said:
I... I just don't know where else to go. This seems as good a place as any to express my frothing love for Rideback- I'm on episode 9 now. Just found it on Netflix.

Did... did Keifer and Rin just do it? Or was he being inspirational?! Isn't.. isn't he like twice her age? I'M SO CONFUSED/TURNED ON.

EDIT: Also, where can I watch Gundam Unicorn? It looks like the best thing since 08th MS Team.
Rideback, great? It was okay, I guess, but not great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom