• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

SyNapSe

Big 12 fans, what sort of realistic shot do you give UK against K-State? They're one of the few power conference tourney teams I haven't seen at all this year.

A really good shot. Kentucky is a bad matchup for Kstate. Kstate is a scrappy team that plays good defense but they aren't much athletically and they struggle to score at times. Their starting front line lists as 6-7 6-7 and I doubt Gipson is 6-7.

Like Kentucky, they have a strong fanbase and win most of their home games (15-2). They didn't do much at all on neutral/road courts. I think Gonzaga on a "neutral court" in wichita, kansas was their only tourney team road/neutral win.

A really good shot. Kentucky is a bad matchup for Kstate. Kstate is a scrappy team that plays good defense but they aren't much athletically and they struggle to score at times. Their starting front line lists as 6-7 6-7 and I doubt Gipson is 6-7.

Like Kentucky, they have a strong fanbase and win most of their home games (15-2). They didn't do much at all on neutral/road courts. I think Gonzaga on a "neutral court" in wichita, kansas was their only tourney team road/neutral win.

I agree, I also think Kentucky fans don't realize how much KState wants the opportunity to shut down WSU in the second round.

WSU fans have been taking crap on KU and KState since last march and they would give anything to knock them out when they are number 1 and undefeated. K state is a solid big 12 team and as much as I would love to see the shockers send caliperi and his toon squad home I don't think they will get the chance.

Seth C

There is a difference between how a team should be ranked based on their reusme and how they should be ranked based on probability of beating other teams. Louisville is a top 5 team in terms of likeness of beating other teams, but closer to a top 15 team in term of resume. I've explained my point pretty clearly several times.

And if I created a mathematical formula that said I was a top 5 team but I'd played several 6, 7, and 8 seeds and lost to ALL of them what would you consider the more realistic reality?

I'm saying Kenpom is wrong on Louisville based on looking at REALITY. You see, Louisville has played lots of really mediocre teams and lost to them again and again and again. I don't need math because I've seen what happens. You can talk about probability all day but Kenpom has been wrong for Louisville 5 times already. If Louisville plays several teams that are 20-30 and loses to them consistently, then they aren't as good as a top 5 team. No matter what the math says.

By comparison I have no real world example to judge Wichita State. I know they haven't lost, but I also haven't seen them beat a top 20 team. They could be the best team in the country, but realistically all I know is the quality of team they are better than -- but so far no data to suggest who is better than them.

That's the joy of the tournament, of course. Kenpom has no input as to who actually wins games. My prediction is that Louisville loses to the first Kenpom top 20 team they play. Why? Because that's what they have done, consistently, all season.

iamblades

And if I created a mathematical formula that said I was a top 5 team but I'd played several 6, 7, and 8 seeds and lost to ALL of them what would you consider the more realistic reality?

I'm saying Kenpom is wrong on Louisville based on looking at REALITY. You see, Louisville has played lots of really mediocre teams and lost to them again and again and again. I don't need math because I've seen what happens. You can talk about probability all day but Kenpom has been wrong for Louisville 5 times already. If Louisville plays several teams that are 20-30 and loses to them consistently, then they aren't as good as a top 5 team. No matter what the math says.

By comparison I have no real world example to judge Wichita State. I know they haven't lost, but I also haven't seen them beat a top 20 team. They could be the best team in the country, but realistically all I know is the quality of team they are better than -- but so far no data to suggest who is better than them.

That's the joy of the tournament, of course. Kenpom has no input as to who actually wins games. My prediction is that Louisville loses to the first Kenpom top 20 team they play. Why? Because that's what they have done, consistently, all season.

I think you can be make even more specific predictions about the kind of team UL will lose to. Any team with an even halfway credible physical presence in the post and can halfway guard their perimeter players in transition.. That has been UL's obvious flaw since the season started, not being able to get consistent production down low.

Interestingly enough WSU may have the same weakness(to a lesser degree). WSU beat Tennessee, who IMO has a decent frontcourt, and Cleanthony Early has been impressive, but if you just compare the size of their roster to UK's it's ridiculous. Which is not to say I think we are going to beat WSU for sure if we even get past KSU, we have sucked it up against many teams we should have physically dominated this year.

The matchups seem to work in our favor though.

original.jpg

tumblr_inline_mypxxuwPsn1r752ee.gif

That's my pair of brother centers doing it big in the NBA

Crisco

Banned
Wow, I haven't felt that comfortable towards the end of an NC State game since we were playing scrub teams in November. The Big East must be really shitty, Creighton is going to get crushed by the first good team they play.

Crisco

Banned
Why do you say that? Not that I'm all that upset he's coaching again.

Because he didn't really do anything too bad, just had a couple recruits on unofficial visits over to his house for a cook out with the rest of the team. The only reason he got fired in the first place was because he lied about it to the NCAA.

St. Louis better get ready for this to happen,

giphy.gif

Bowser

I feel like State can easily beat St. Louis (way overrated). Although you gotta think State is gonna be dog tired...they've played, what, 5 games in 7 days in 3 different cities? Tough to overcome on just adrenaline alone...

Crisco

Banned
Win or lose, this team has more than exceeded my (or anyone's) pre-season expectation. We were dead in the water after 3 consecutive losses, including 2 blowouts, in January but managed to turn it around. Gottfried deserves a lot of credit, this was a tough coaching job.

At least I don't have to see any more Josh Hairston.

And Jabari seems like he would be the type of kid who would make the dumbass decision to come back to school in the name of "college loyalty" whatever that means (You fulfilled the obligations of your scholarship for one year, you don't owe the school jack beyond that) or because "he can't let his career end that way".

Jabari, please take your talents to the NBA. Monetize that window of your life you have to play basketball competitively. Don't waste money staying here.

Sincerely,

A Duke Fan

KingGondo

Banned
i'll be impressed if Buzz Williams can coach VT up.

can't believe he's going to such a wack program.
He would have made a perfect replacement for Travis Ford. He's young, charismatic, and has tourney success. He's even from Texas.

Wonder why he jumped to a program like VT instead of waiting a bit. Seems very odd.

i'll be impressed if Buzz Williams can coach VT up.

can't believe he's going to such a wack program.

I don't understand the move, really. I don't even consider it a lateral move. He doesn't seem to be a local boy or graduate of that school either. So that must mean sanctions bout to come down hard on Marquette!!! I'm kidding.

At least I don't have to see any more Josh Hairston.

And Jabari seems like he would be the type of kid who would make the dumbass decision to come back to school in the name of "college loyalty" whatever that means (You fulfilled the obligations of your scholarship for one year, you don't owe the school jack beyond that) or because "he can't let his career end that way".

Jabari, please take your talents to the NBA. Monetize that window of your life you have to play basketball competitively. Don't waste money staying here.

Sincerely,

A Duke Fan

Your concern is touching.

But he gone.

I don't understand the move, really. I don't even consider it a lateral move. He doesn't seem to be a local boy or graduate of that school either. So that must mean sanctions bout to come down hard on Marquette!!! I'm kidding.
Probably says more about recruiting and conference realignment than anything.

Not having to fight over chicago recruits as 10th fiddle + ACC vs whereverthehell Marquette ended up...

Why, is the 2015 draft class supposed to be really good?

He would be THE No.1 pick next year if he stays healthy and doesn't have a Marcus Smart breakdown. There's no Wiggins, no Embiid, no Exum.

But why lose out on a year of paychecks plus risk the possibility of injury? Plus he has the unique opportunity of getting drafted by the Lakers or Celtics that high this year, instead of the usual Kings/Bucks/Bobcats/Cavs.

Top Bottom