• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Nicole Auerbach ✔ @NicoleAuerbach

Wiggins: "It wasn't an easy decision. I just wish I had more time. College goes by so fast. I can see why people stay all four years."

jasonterry.gif

Duke Basketball ‏@dukebasketball 20m
Steve Wojciechowski is interviewing at Marquette today, per @stevewisemanNC. Has been at Duke since 1999

Coach K praying to Tebow that they take him

Fjordson

Orlando Antigua hired by South Florida. He was pretty big for our recruiting so I'm sad to see him go, but it was inevitable. He deserves it.

Fjordson

Notes from nbadraft.net about the first round of practice at the McDonald's AA game:

Players who impressed:

Cliff Alexander: 6’9 240 PF: Kansas

Alexander takes no chances within 8 ft. of the rim as he dunks everything. He is a physical specimen who brings to mind some Amare Stoudemire comparisons and if he can develop some consistent post moves he will be unguardable. On the defensive side of the ball Alexander is a great shot blocker but the amount of shots he alters is amazing he causes a ton of turnovers based on his presence alone. In the argument of Alexander vs Okafor, Alexander showed a lot more energy on Day 1.

Stanley Johnson 6’7 220: SF Arizona:

Johnson is an explosive athlete who played for California powerhouse Mater Dei HS. Very unselfish player who loves to get his teammates involved, his handles have improved greatly. As his game matures could eventually play some point guard and will be a match – up nightmare for opposing wings. Not a great shooter but uses quick first step to attack the basket and finishes strong at the rim. Johnson has the length and quickness to become a lockdown defender. Also a very good rebounder and competed in every drill today.

DAngelo Russell 6’5 190: Combo Guard Ohio State:

Russell is one of the best shooters in the class and today was no different as he shot the ball well from the perimeter and showed a consistent mid-range game. Russell has good court vision and should eventually evolve into a point guard where he will ease Buckeyes fans concerns over losing Aaron Craft. Russell utilizes the ball fake and jab step as well as anyone in the class and his strong basketball IQ stood out today.

Tyus Jones 6’1 180: PG Duke:

Sometimes it's easy to forget just how good Tyus Jones is. He does all the little things right without the flash of an Emmanuel Mudiay or Tyler Ulis. Jones made great decisions during fast break drills often times throwing pin point bounce passes on the break or keeping it himself and finishing with contact. Jones will undoubtedly be Jahlil Okafors best friend at Duke and will give the Blue Devils the true point guard they have been searching for.

Grayson Allen 6’4 195 SG Duke:

The least heralded of the Duke signees was arguably the most impressive on Day 1. Allen was the best 3 pt. shooter on the court today and also showed an ability to shoot off the dribble. Even more impressive was Allen’s athleticism including an amazing block where he met Kansas signee Kelly Oubre at the rim. The Jon Scheyer comparison will be inevitable but this kid can shoot it and play above the rim.

Tyler Ulis 5’9 150: PG Kentucky:

What Ulis lacks in size he makes up for in speed and quickness, he routinely blew past defenders today and threw some amazing passes that his teammates just couldn’t hold onto. It’s a scary thought that Coach Cal will have this young man for 3- 4 years as he will bring stability to the UK program. Intense competitor who doesn’t back down from anyone.

Reid Travis: 6’8 240 PF: Stanford

Travis will not wow you with his athleticism but he was the most consistent big man at today’s practice. He is very physical on both ends of the floor and embraces contact finishing strong around the rim. He has great hand and footwork and his motor is nonstop. His ceiling may not be as high as a Cliff Alexander or Myles Turner but he will be an immediate impact player in the Pac – 12.

Unimpressive:

The North Carolina Trio: It was a rough first day for the future Tar Heels as Joel Berry could not keep Tyler Ulis from getting into the lane. He also turned the ball over quite a bit many of which were unforced. The year of sitting behind Marcus Paige will definitely benefit Berry. Meanwhile swingman Justin Jackson shows promise but is painfully thin and could not finish at the rim against stronger players. In fairness, Theo Pinson showed the ability to get teammates involved and is a solid ball handler who could play some point if needed, however he too often goes for the homerun play resulting in a turnover. All three of these young men have potential but Berry and Jackson seemed out of their league today.

Kevon Looney: 6’9 210 F: UCLA: Looney is an athletic freak who runs the floor like a gazelle but struggled on both ends of the floor today. On defense he did not show the willingness to get in a stance and guard. While on offense his erratic play resulted in turnovers. Looney is very skilled but it’s hard to point out what exactly his strengths are at this point.

The Big Men: Outside of Alexander and Travis the bigs did not impress today. Jahlil Okafor struggled to catch post feeds and did not play with a ton of effort. The Kentucky duo of Karl Towns and Trey Lyles did nothing to stand out and Myles Turner did not show his normal shot blocking ability. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for these talented bigs.

I love Lyles and Towns and think they have the potential to be great, but from what I've seen of Towns he still isn't ready for the physicality of the college game and Lyles plays pretty bad defense. I'll be glad to have Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee back for sure.

jjasper

Marquette hired Wojo lololol

So they had coach bolt for a lesser job and then went from trying to hire someone who has underperformed at his current school outside of a run the last weeks of this year to someone who has never coached before. Great job.

Talon

So they had coach bolt for a lesser job and then went from trying to hire someone who has underperformed at his current school outside of a run the last weeks of this year to someone who has never coached before. Great job.
...because VCU was such a powerhouse? What?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Marquette hired Wojo lololol

You never know. Look at Scott Cherry at High Point. He's actually a decent coach.

I'm honestly happy for him. I just didn't like all the talk that he was going to be K's immediate successor, which would have meant he's being set up to fail so the real candidate wouldn't have to follow K directly, or that Kevin White was out of his damn mind.

Laura Keeley @laurakeeley 3m
Wojo called K this morning & asked him about "being my associate head coach and doing halftime interviews." K said Wojo couldn't afford him.

Wojo is going to need to find his own halftime interview stand-in. Tyler Thornton, this could be you.

Wojo gives the best half-time interviews in the business. No surprise Marquette hired him.

Now who's going to give Duke half-time interviews?

K ain't got time for dat.

Capel? Scheyer? Josh Hairston?

Wojo gives the best half-time interviews in the business. No surprise Marquette hired him.

Now who's going to give Duke half-time interviews?

K ain't got time for dat.

Capel? Scheyer? Josh Hairston?

Capel has already done it for him, plus he has his own interview experience from being a head coach. I figure James and Scheyer will slowly work into the rotation.

Naadir Tharpe having fun in his off season.

http://deadspin.com/bill-self-disappointed-by-naadir-tharpes-boobsy-phot-1555547995

NSFW. I ain't too mad at him, but you can't let pics of that sorta thing get out :lol

There's a lot going on in this picture

A)
shaqseriouslybro.png
She ain't ugly for being 40

B) Why is this dude buck ass nekkid in the middle of a public club?

C) This dumbass actually let the pic leak. This is the kind of thing you keep locked deep in the vault. Burn that SIM card son

All in all, this is still probably the most notable thing Naadir Tharpe has done since he's been in college.

Fjordson

A)
shaqseriouslybro.png

C) This dumbass actually let the pic leak. This is the kind of thing you keep locked deep in the vault. Burn that SIM card son

All in all, this is still probably the most notable thing Naadir Tharpe has done since he's been in college.
Lmao totally right on all points. You pour your entire drink on that phone if you have to.

So it looks like they are actively fucking. Are we supposed to know who the girl is, or just some coed?

Internet detectives discovered she was a 38 year-old nurse at a high school in the area.
She's already resigned from her job because of the embarrassment.

The fucked up part is that she apparently has a daughter that goes to that same high school. Can't imagine the hell shes being put through because of her mom getting down with a college ball player nearly half her age.

Talon

Internet detectives discovered she was a 38 year-old nurse at a high school in the area.
She's already resigned from her job because of the embarrassment.

The fucked up part is that she apparently has a daughter that goes to that same high school. Can't imagine the hell shes being put through because of her mom getting down with a college ball player nearly half her age.
...how the hell did they even meet? People are weird.

A)
shaqseriouslybro.png

She 40? Lookin' like that?! Damn, I bet she knows how to get dat work.

Fjordson

Okafor and Cliff Alexander have both missed multiple dunks.

Myles Turner looks like the best big man to me. Damn impressive physically.

Fjordson

I think Okafor and Towns will struggle at times next year (as you can see with Towns defense there). Same goes for Cliff Alexander.

I want Myles Turner. He just blocked Okafor for like the fifth time. He'll be at Kansas or Texas though =[

Tyus looks solid as hell. Just knows what to do on the floor.

EDIT: Lmao Justin Jackson just hero-balled the East out of the game.

Yep. He'll be the starting point guard next year. It's been a while since Duke's had a pure floor general at PG and Quinn follows way too many good plays with boneheaded ones. If QC starts, it would be at the 2 beside Tyus.

Looking at the highlights from the McD's game, I really love Tyus' game.

I understand that in today's game both at the college and the pro level where teams are looking for bigger,stronger, more athletic 1s who are trying to get buckets for themselves first (Westbrook and Rose being the prototypes, Wall fits the mold physically but he's a more willing passer IMO) Mudiay is the more exciting and appealing prospect. But I think there's still definite value in a guy who knows how to run an offense and get everyone involved.

Chad Ford has apparently talked to "several NBA scouts" who think Jabari's coming back to Duke.

Imma not say shit until we get a decision either way. I have a feeling he's going to push it all the way to the deadline.

Tyus didn't look good on defense though.

I don't know. I was excited watching that game last night, but part of me is also sad that none of these dudes are as good as Kyrie.

Uncle Drew was styling on fools the entire game 4(!) years ago. Murdered Cory Joseph's career before it even started.

Tyus didn't look good on defense though.

I don't know. I was excited watching that game last night, but part of me is also sad that none of these dudes are as good as Kyrie.

Uncle Drew was styling on fools the entire game 4(!) years ago. Murdered Cory Joseph's career before it even started.

Quinn isn't consistent on D either. He can lock down Nik Stauskas and then be ghost the very next game. We need to wait until we get another white scrappy guy for good D at the 1.

Kyrie's just a special talent. He can't play a lick of D either (although had he been healthy in 2011, that would've been covered by Nolan Smith), but offensively he's incredible.

Don't forget the Jordan Brand Classic from that year. I'm not sure Kendall Marshall's ankles ever truly recovered.

I'm guessing he just finally got tired of college and decided to leave. Money-wise he probably would've been better served just staying next year too and coming out in a weaker draft.

Carolina has themselves a squad with PBJ coming in. I think for all the talk about how the ACC has changed, we're going to see a more traditional standings next year with UNC and Duke battling for first.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

UNC fans hate on JMM like he was Josh Hairston. You guys always seem to have a player that hangs around and you can't wait for him to bolt. I remember yall felt the same about Tyler Zeller as well, before his senior year. Not saying Duke fans don't have their own players they want out (like said Hairston) but usually those players really suck in contrast.

Top Bottom