• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

iNvid02

Anywho. Joanne, who writes our Game Lens feature, has put one up for Just Cause 2. Here's a couple of her shots.

jc2-admiring-the-view3qpbz.jpg
jc2-insertion-1080hiq4c.jpg
jc2-rocky-road-1080iduhx.jpg
jc2-tourist-1080ohuil.jpg

very nice, the linked boat shot with the fluffy cloud is awesome. if anyone else is going back to jc2, get the freecam mod, hd clouds (among others) are great, maybe take a look at the multiplayer mod if you're not opposed to fun

just cause 3 could be spectacular. for now though, last few shots of sleeping dogs.

hkship201301040901146xja8b.png

hkship201301040944575qby08.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
That's actually amazing that you made that comparison. The mere fact that you think ( or atleast come across as thinking ) that modding like that would be tantamount to taking something as "old,moldy and ugly as the Mona Lisa" and turning it into the new "hot, appealing, ubiquitously aesthetically pleasing Megan Fox". That's the innate problem with thoughtless modding lacking anykind of rhyme or reason.

edit : The more I think of it the more I realize that this comparison of yours is the antithesis of what you were hoping to get across. You see a painting ( game ) that has received a prettier face but anyone with a critical eye will see how lackluster the implementation of said improvements are, done in a way that fully botches any coherence the original had.

That's actually amazing that you made that comparison. The mere fact that you think ( or atleast come across as thinking ) that modding like that would be tantamount to taking something as "old,moldy and ugly as the Mona Lisa" and turning it into the new "hot, appealing, ubiquitously aesthetically pleasing Megan Fox". That's the innate problem with thoughtless modding lacking anykind of rhyme or reason.

edit : the more I think of it the more I think this comparison of yours is the antithesis of what you were hoping to get across. You see a painting ( game ) that has received a prettier face but anyone with a critical eye will see how lackluster the implementation of said improvements are.

Corky nails it. The reason why most people seeing modding Half life 2s base texture and model work as being so poor is because the replacement work does not reflect the in universe motifs and themes. It distorts them and makes them actually lok worse regardless of objective pixel count and graphical checklists.

I love graphical flare as much as the next whore but I really dislike modding that compromises arti direction. Maldo is one of the few texture artists who makes sure his replacement work actually fits in universe.

xNAPx

Banned
Corky nails it. The reason why most people seeing modding Half life 2s base texture and model work as being so poor is because the replacement work does not reflect the in universe motifs and themes. It distorts them and makes them actually lok worse regardless of objective pixel count and graphical checklists.

I love graphical flare as much as the next whore but I really dislike modding that compromises arti direction. Maldo is one of the few texture artists who makes sure his replacement work actually fits in universe.
I agree with that, but the cinematic mod artist gave his interpretation of how half life should be today, not better of the original, just different, monalisa was great but megan is great too

Sethos

Banned
I agree with that, but the cinematic mod artist gave his interpretation of how half life should be today, not better of the original, just different, monalisa was great but megan is great too

It looks like ass, get over it, move on.

Mona Lisa is a timeless classic worth hundreds of millions. Meagan Fox was a babe of the moment who can't find work and is largely irrelevant.

Pretty good comparison between the two games

xNAPx

Banned
Mona Lisa is a timeless classic worth hundreds of millions. Meagan Fox was a babe of the moment who can't find work and is largely irrelevant.

Pretty good comparison between the two games

You're right, but i doubt you prefer masturbate yourself on monalisa, i'm pretty sure you prefer Megan, am I wrong? because i think that if people prefer masturbating over monalisa, they have orrible taste. What megan represant like girl is off topic here because nothing exclude that monalisa could be a megan fox in the past. we could talk by hours and hours anyway and go nowhere, because everyone thonks what it's right for himself and whatever, so move on

Sethos

Banned
You're right, but i doubt you prefer masturbate yourself on monalisa, i'm pretty sure you prefer Megan, am I wrong? because i think that if people prefer masturbating over monalisa, they have orrible taste. What megan represant like girl is off topic here because nothing exclude that monalisa could be a megan fox in the past. we could talk by hours and hours anyway and go nowhere, because everyone thonks what it's right for himself and whatever, so move on

What the actual fuck.

NAP ejaculating over his monitor when playing confirmed.

What settings are you using. I get 60fps until the race starts and then drops to like 20fps and the sound skips?

Right click the game on Dolphin's main screen and make sure Enable Dual Core is checked. Even if you have it checked in your main settings, if the game's properties leave it off it won't be enabled. Also, it only works with D3D9, so use that. And make sure you're using HLE. Those are the only big reasons I can think of your FPS would be dropping that much. Remember to check Skip EFB Access from CPU for the Sand Ocean courses too.

DocSeuss

Man, I can't wait until I get a better GPU. This 260 is really showing its age at this point. Can't do any oversampling or anything. :(

Then again, I'd probably just take screencaps of System Shock 2 and Thief all the time, and they wouldn't look pretty anyways.

And he's crap at it.

There's no consistency between his characters and Antonov's art design. The characters don't look like they fit in the world.

Daaamn Dennis, you're making me want to reinstall FC3.

Wait...what? My mind is full of all the fucks right now.

If I may ask, what settings did you use to get SCII working? I get nothing but a black screen. I grabbed Dolphin 3.5-125, and tried the settings in the wiki, but to no avail.

default settings. literally just installed 3.5-125 and loaded up my ISO...

I just saved some 20 GBs of disk space by batch-converting all of my .bmps into 100% .jpegs (with chroma subsampling disabled, because that shit be nasty). And the quality loss is basically imperceptible.

I'm doing that from now on. In the meantime, have some old screenies:

Guild Wars 2

Screenshot74746.png

Screenshot40010.png

(I don't know why I was so fascinated with that water fog. It's just... so... captivating?)

These are downsampled (from 3200x1800). I don't do it anymore because the performance hit is about the same as 4x SGSSAA (this is one of those cases where the bits are just so effective that it doesn't make sense to use anything else).

Screenshot8251.jpg

Screenshot67800.jpg

Wanny

Damn I just noticed that obsidian/bethesda puts on quite a heavy fog that starts basically from your character, hiding a lot of details and creating quite a washed out look by default. The next shot got that fog pushed away a bit more.

Are they ashamed to show up their assets or what?

screenshot319642jqex.png

Still one of the best-looking RTS games ever released, especially with a little added ambient occlusion. (These were taken before I turned off the vignette effect)

Screenshot72353.jpg

Screenshot35983.jpg

Corky

You do realize your screens are locked as usual right? For some reason you seem to keep forget that you need to not have them set to private or w/e.

Vossler

Zyrusitcae, may I ask what your inspector settings are for GW2? I have a 670 GTX, and would like to spruce up the AA a bit.

rjfs

Neo Member
Does anyone have a screenshot solution for windows 8? I just got a new pc and apparently fraps doesn't work with 8.

Thanks

MrBig

You do realize your screens are locked as usual right? For some reason you seem to keep forget that you need to not have them set to private or w/e.

Yeah. Just use abload or another service.

Does anyone have a screenshot solution for windows 8? I just got a new pc and apparently fraps doesn't work with 8.

Thanks

I have 0 issues with fraps on w8...

Corky

Mirrors Edge is the prime example of how big of a difference resolution alone can do when it comes to image quality ( since I'm taking for granted that the pc version doesn't have any extraneous features compared to the console version ).

Zyrusitcae, may I ask what your inspector settings are for GW2? I have a 670 GTX, and would like to spruce up the AA a bit.
I use these AA bits: (0x00401240)

Behavior flags are set to 'None', mode is 'Override any application setting', AA setting at 4x Multisampling and transparency at 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling. Even with a single GTX 670, it should run smooth as butter. (I, however, like to add ambient occlusion on top of that which has a pretty big performance hit.)
Bleh. Yeah, I keep thinking my folders are public by default.

I'd use another service, but the way Skydrive works (it's like another folder on my PC) is just too convenient for me to switch.

By the way, one last shot:

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II

Screenshot31141.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
Mirrors Edge is the prime example of how big of a difference resolution alone can do when it comes to image quality ( since I'm taking for granted that the pc version doesn't have any extraneous features compared to the console version ).

Physx man! It's all about Phhhhyyyssxxxxx!

lol

Corky

Physx man! It's all about Phhhhyyyssxxxxx!

lol

Well yeah other than that ^^ !

And Jesus H Christ do I hope what we call "physX" and it's features become more common in next-gen games and not just have devs slap on superficial aesthetic tech alone.

A little graphical feature appreciation time:

Screenshot13803.jpg

Screenshot17018.jpg

At least 75% of the shadowing on that ship comes exclusively from ambient occlusion. Without that AO, the ship looks absurdly flat (no I'm not going to show you a shot of it, it's horribly ugly!). It's amazing how that one graphical feature can make something look so much better.

(And then a driver update broke it and now I can't get AO that detailed in-game anymore D:)

...And that's why I keep replaying old games with ambient occlusion enabled, just to see what they look like.

Top Bottom