• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Fuck the police.

warframe2013-01-0618-iij09.png

ibkJK2cMz4oqKd.gif

Metroid Prime 3. Cool concept ruined by dogshit textures and skybox. *grumbles about two GameCubes taped together.

Also that whole last page gives me PTSD flashbacks to Zyrusticae's first Guild Wars shots.

dolphin2013-01-0600-22gbrr.png

dolphin2013-01-0611-39ub9h.png

Blizzard

Banned
Just a note since everyone seems to be using BMP now, there should be absolutely 0% difference for any pixel between BMP and PNG. It's just extra file size for no benefit, unlike PNG vs JPG. PNG uses lossless compression. A single minus BMP image takes me like 12 seconds to load now, lol. I think I have a 1.1 MB/second download rate cap, but I don't think minus is even hitting that.

Ciastek3214

Just a note since everyone seems to be using BMP now, there should be absolutely 0% difference for any pixel between BMP and PNG. It's just extra file size for no benefit, unlike PNG vs JPG. PNG uses lossless compression. A single minus BMP image takes me like 12 seconds to load now, lol. I think I have a 1.1 MB/second download rate cap, but I don't think minus is even hitting that.

I don't know, do you see any difference?

PNG http://www.abload.de/img/2t4k3j.png

JPG 100% http://www.abload.de/img/3iijfj.jpg

Zoom in to see in full size.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know, do you see any difference?

PNG http://www.abload.de/img/2t4k3j.png

JPG 100% http://www.abload.de/img/3iijfj.jpg

Zoom in to see in full size.
I'm not talking about JPEG vs PNG. I'm not trying to convince people either way in that war. It's easier to request that people use PNG, I agree.

I'm saying that some people are uploading BMP, which produce huge file sizes compared to PNG, yet contain the EXACT same data.

It's not the case of JPG vs PNG (I checked in an image editor, and some of those white colors in the JPG text were maybe 1-5 RPG values difference, so I have no clue how that person could visually tell the difference). PNG and BMP are literally the exact same, unless I am vastly mistaken.

Ciastek3214

I'm not talking about JPEG vs PNG. I'm not trying to convince people either way in that war. It's easier to request that people use PNG, I agree.

I'm saying that some people are uploading BMP, which produce huge file sizes compared to PNG, yet contain the EXACT same data.

It's not the case of JPG vs PNG (I checked in an image editor, and some of those white colors in the JPG text were maybe 1-5 RPG values difference, so I have no clue how that person could visually tell the difference). PNG and BMP are literally the exact same, unless I am vastly mistaken.

You didn't even look at them.

Blizzard

Banned
You didn't even look at them.
This isn't true -- I looked at them and thought that you were probably joking because you used the joke shot posted earlier. I still wanted to respond seriously so people reading it don't get confused, and to make sure anyone who didn't know that PNG's were lossless now knows that. :)

legacyzero

Banned
Never could bring myself to finish Metroid Prime 3. The sub HD was all I could stand on a 55 inch tv.

And I LOVE Metroid.

wait, people are using BMP?

wtf lol. There is ZERO difference between a PNG with default compression settings (and perhaps even with the "best" setting) versus a BMP. Get Irfanview and use it switch rapidly back and forth between a BMP and PNG image - you will not find a pixel out of place.

There is also the bonus of the page not taking 10 minutes to load.

wait, people are using BMP?

wtf lol. There is ZERO difference between a PNG with default compression settings (and perhaps even with the "best" setting) versus a BMP. Get Irfanview and use it switch rapidly back and forth between a BMP and PNG image - you will not find a pixel out of place.

There is also the bonus of the page not taking 10 minutes to load.

if this is true, people need to ban BMPs and only alloow PNGs and 100% JPEGS. It's early in the year so it should be easy to implement a rule change.

if this is true, people need to ban BMPs and only alloow PNGs and 100% JPEGS. It's early in the year so it should be easy to implement a rule change.

You can often half the size of a BMP just by converting it to PNG. BMP therefore also makes the two picture rule a bit pointless since 2 BMPS are equivalent to 4 PNGs in size (which is why I proposed a new rule based on file size rather than number of images - say, 10-15mb per post or something). I try not to be so anal about these things as others but all these rules, often contradictory, just seem a bit baffling.

Those CE screens have some weird pixel shader/ aliasing effect to them. WTH is it lol.

You can often half the size of a BMP just by converting it to PNG. BMP therefore also makes the two picture rule a bit pointless since 2 BMPS are equivalent to 4 PNGs in size (which is why I proposed a new rule based on file size rather than number of images - say, 10-15mb per post or something). I try not to be so anal about these things as others but all these rules, often contradictory, just seem a bit baffling.

well i you only allow PNGs then you should be ok because there is no room for error if you just upload uncompressed. I only upload 1005 JPGs because I know the small difference is nothing compared to the time it will save many of those loading pages around the world.

If the thread only allowed PNGs id be okay with it though, for the greater good. Just dont allow bullshit BMPs that take up space for no reason (literally).

MrBig

10+ MB BMPs... Please stop

90%+ JPEGs or lossless PNGs, for those without a way to properly save JPEGs, should be the only standards here

Dennis

Banned
LOL I see my BMP joke has spectacularly backfired.

There is of course no reason whatsoever to use .bmp

jpg at the highest quality setting or png are the way to go.

Drain You

Ah sorry forgot to mention it this time around. These are a mix of the OpenSauce mod
http://www.halomods.com/ips/index.p...es/frontpage/haloce-opensauce-v3-released-r11

and this map
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6273

Halo modding gets weird

Well now that makes alot of sense. Thank you for that. Time for me to look into this.

PS: I hope to have some decent Resident Evil 4 Shots for you all soon. Modded to hell and back obviously given the piss poor PC port we got :p

Spazznid

Actually fuck it, same screenshot, only 1% JPG.

123c3lsk.jpg

I've said this before, in the Low-Res Screenshot Thread, but I wouldn't mind playing through a game like that.

It'd be like playing those old 16 bit cinematic images except moving and with dynamic lighting and physics....

Someone should create a mod of a game (Preferably Half-Life 2) that does this.

cory64

I've tested a few images and Photoshop can't find a single pixel that's different between JPG 11 and PNG.
9 is too lossy. 10 is iffy but borderline acceptable.

So I would argue that maximum quality JPGs are fine unless you're doing a technical comparison between different settings.

Dennis

Banned
I've tested a few images and Photoshop can't find a single pixel that's different between JPG 11 and PNG.
9 is too lossy. 10 is iffy but borderline acceptable.

So I would argue that maximum quality JPGs are fine unless you're doing a technical comparison between different settings.

I have been saying this for years.

I use JPG 12 and can't for the life of me see any quality difference between that and PNG.

If everyone used that the pages would load a lot faster.

the fu-

the fuck is going on in here?

i come home everyday and expect a new page of awesome god damned pics from you assholes and you're doing this?

cease and desist immediately.

(okay it seems that was last page, carry on)

Top Bottom