• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

I have been saying this for years.

I use JPG 12 and can't for the life of me see any quality difference between that and PNG.

If everyone used that the pages would load a lot faster.

Ok so it is ok for me to use lvl12/11. OK IM AM NOW JUSTIFIED. Thank you, screenshot gods.

Spazznid

ibofD1sZOqzQ8Y.png

igPBkPEzpkw38.png

x3sphere

I have been saying this for years.

I use JPG 12 and can't for the life of me see any quality difference between that and PNG.

If everyone used that the pages would load a lot faster.

I've always done the same. Not everyone has Photoshop installed or an image editor that lets you save max quality JPGs though (and the ones outputted by Paint are heavily compressed unfortunately), so I'd say it's just easier to tell people to use PNG.

scitek

Yeah it's out of my control. The mod overwrites the game's dx9 dll so smaa injection is out. Bummer since otherwise it's a nice clean image

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ar90Z5uYgUE/TtauJw7CjiI/AAAAAAAAADU/pTW-U6ezlbQ/s1600/Halo1_NOAA.png
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zFe6d8Z8cs4/TtauLP5AL2I/AAAAAAAAADc/6NuUfxyyD6U/s1600/Halo1_SMAA.png

I downsampled with SMAA with my last play-through (which I never finished), plus used SSAO.

screenshot55274rwq5k.png

The only thing I hated looking at was the sky. Do you know if there's a high-res mod to replace it out there?

Never could bring myself to finish Metroid Prime 3. The sub HD was all I could stand on a 55 inch tv.

And I LOVE Metroid.

Ehh, yeah. Playing it via Dolphin helps a lot, being rendered at a higher resolution and all, but I feel like Retro's ambition in visual design increased disproportionately compared to the size of the increase in hardware power, going from 1/2 to 3.

I might just be crazy but playing them all back to back now on the somewhat even footing provided by Dolphin instead of years apart I want to say I prefer 2's graphics to 3's. 3 might be pushing more effects and be "prettier" but 2 was just better looking.

Anywho, MP3

dolphin2013-01-0617-484qbe.png

dolphin2013-01-0618-31wrij.png

Spazznid

Question....

How much worse is the quality of a Fraps-recorded video, compared to a Fraps-captured image?

Like, for example, could one take an image of a Fraps-Recorded video and pass it off as a Screenshot of the game itself?

scitek

Question....

How much worse is the quality of a Fraps-recorded video, compared to a Fraps-captured image?

Like, for example, could one take an image of a Fraps-Recorded video and pass it off as a Screenshot of the game itself?

I think if you checked Force Lossless RGB you may. It would be the only way to capture driver-level FXAA that I can think of.

Sethos

Banned
Question....

Always thought of that, could be awesome to really cherry pick some sweet shots during an action sequence.

Question....

I've done that, default fraps video settings. Doesn't seem to be any difference in quality. These two screens I recently posted from Metroid Prime 2 are frames from raw fraps videos, for example (by importing the video to Photoshop and then saving a specific frame, not like... screenshotting a media player, just to be clear):

http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2013-01-0516-0vtzw9.png
http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2013-01-0516-03trwc.png

scitek

I've done that, default fraps video settings. Doesn't seem to be any difference in quality. These two screens I recently posted from Metroid Prime 2 are frames from raw fraps videos, for example (by importing the video to Photoshop and then saving a specific frame, not like... screenshotting a media player, just to be clear):

http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2013-01-0516-0vtzw9.png
http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2013-01-0516-03trwc.png

How're you playing MP3 in Dolphin? Isn't there a bug where you have to do something just to scan items?

Spazznid

Well, here's the same shot in two ways. One is from a direct capture In-Game and one is from the recorded Fraps video.

iCU3ZCZBSepLE.png

iDtmO9Q5hYBdU.png

Notice Any Difference?

These ones were while playing at 1620p. Fraps Video automatically Downscaled to 1080p and I manually Downscaled the other through Photoshop with Bicubic Sharper...

I will post more shots and then some at a low resolution to see if the difference is easier to see....

Spazznid

Again, here's one In-Game and one from Video.... These are kind of surprising...

ibnsFY1h7ixOMX.png

iRbgyaeKVHemG.png

Still Downscaled from 1620p.

jediyoshi

I downsampled with SMAA with my last play-through (which I never finished), plus used SSAO.

screenshot55274rwq5k.png

The only thing I hated looking at was the sky. Do you know if there's a high-res mod to replace it out there?

Are you using open sauce or some other method for widescreen?

_machine

Notice Any Difference?

These ones were while playing at 1620p. Fraps Video automatically Downscaled to 1080p and I manually Downscaled the other through Photoshop with Bicubic Sharper...

I will post more shots and then some at a low resolution to see if the difference is easier to see....
The second is definitely sharper, but I suspect it has something to do with the difference in downscaling. Colors look slightly better in the second as well.

Spazznid

Lastly, here's a shot at 1360 x 768.

i3IDk0gPVaypm.png

iqUqr12kJ8oLz.png

Only thing I can see are the textures on the metal. In one they are more detailed?

If what was said about Video catching the FXAA, then this makes sense.
From looking back at the others, this eems apparent as well. Some areas are more 'blended' in while the Screenshots were not. This may also be due to the FXAA. I really don't know how all that works.

I can definitely see this as an alternative to the traditional way of either snapshotting or timed shots...

At the very least, it may be an alternative. You lose IQ, but you managed to get every moment of an event and can hand pick which frame to take.

This is one of the few times a game has managed to make me go "What the FUCK?", not out of rage or anger, but out of sheer disgust as I realize just what exactly transpired in front of me.

Screenshot383483.jpg

Screenshot31385.jpg

Stein3x

Remember when fences/gratings had aliasing? Me neither.

mirrorsedge2013-01-06v2phb.png

mirrorsedge2013-01-06zarrr.png

Corky this is done with downsampling plus ingame MSAA only?I cant achieve the same level of sharpness with 3840x2160 plus 4MSAA, it isnt crisp.Perfect screens btw!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Corky this is done with downsampling plus ingame MSAA only?I cant achieve the same level of sharpness with 3840x2160 plus 4MSAA, it isnt crisp.Perfect screens btw!

Thanks, opted to go nuts with the IQ and forego fps, capped it at 30 fps and went with it all, ~4k, 16xq AA and SMAA.

Durante

Well, I run the game at 3200x1800 with SCAO at the highest quality and intensity level
Oh wow you're actually using SCAO? I didn't think there was anyone who did. What kind of performance are you getting at that res with SCAO? You must have a powerful system.

Oh, great Dark Souls shots btw.

Oh wow you're actually using SCAO? I didn't think there was anyone who did. What kind of performance are you getting at that res with SCAO? You must have a powerful system.

Oh, great Dark Souls shots btw.

Durante! What are the differences between the AO presets. I have only just used the default AO ever

Durante

Durante! What are the differences between the AO presets. I have only just used the default AO ever
Well, there are 3 types of AO implemented, where one of them (SCAO) is just a combination of the other two (which have slightly different effects). As such, it has a higher computational cost (though not twice as high). And then there's a setting for improving performance by upsampling the SSAO (scale) and a setting for the intensity of the effect (strength, this does not have a performance impact). Generally I'd suggest sticking with VSSAO (the default) and medium strength. Unless you really like the effect provided by the other AO methods and have enough performance to spare.

How're you playing MP3 in Dolphin? Isn't there a bug where you have to do something just to scan items?

All the MP games need EFB to Ram for the visors to work, but it's set automatically with them and there's no negative side effects. Aside from occasional audio issues with HLE 3 runs as well as 1 or 2 (GC) did.

Top Bottom