• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

One more backdrop:

9272174506_59972c6db9_o.png

Random dude:

9272176440_5e807f484d_o.png

9272177144_c35d412348_o.png

9272175838_2af5b3b27c_o.png

Aaaaaand that's it I think. I'd like to get further to see more of the world but running around takes so long, quests are probably more "kill 5 squirrels and report back" and the combat itself is lock-on auto attack type stuff.... which doesn't really interest me.

Now Tera had good combat. Too bad the questing in that was even worse.

How well do these games run with all these fancy graphical effects?

I'm thinking of picking up skyrim but I feel I'll be woefully disapointed by it when it doesn't look like these screen shots.

One3rd

You bought Call of Juarez or Gunslinger? I think you bought the wrong game or the sale has ended.

It is definitely Call of Juarez Gunslinger. Your right though, it seems like the sale is over. Looks like they might be price gouging Steam's daily sales. Oh, and it is still 33% off on Steam.

I'm using an app called Widescreen fixer

Heh. Widescreen fixer. Not really appropriately named for what it does in Dead Space 1.

It's actually the same exact thing I do in Dead Space 2 and 3. A proper "wide screen fix" would actually increase the FOV. This doesn't increase FOV, but rather it it moves the camera farther back from Isaac. The viewing angle stays the same. So if the FOV is 60, it stays 60. You'll never get fisheye by increasing it to crazy levels.

I think Dead Space 3 is the only game with an actual way to change the FOV (in the config file).

Anyways, I've used that app to port my basic camera tricks to Dead Space 1. And so it begins....

9275876664_6313d597b7_o.png

9275876534_3d2a01c4f7_o.png

Textures aged poorly but it still has some pretty scenes.

One3rd

Heh. Widescreen fixer. Not really appropriately named for what it does in Dead Space 1.

It's actually the same exact thing I do in Dead Space 2 and 3. A proper "wide screen fix" would actually increase the FOV. This doesn't increase FOV, but rather it it moves the camera farther back from Isaac. The viewing angle stays the same. So if the FOV is 60, it stays 60. You'll never get fisheye by increasing it to crazy levels.

I think Dead Space 3 is the only game with an actual way to change the FOV (in the config file).

Anyways, I've used that app to port my basic camera tricks to Dead Space 1. And so it begins....

9275876664_6313d597b7_o.png

9275876534_3d2a01c4f7_o.png

Textures aged poorly but it still has some pretty scenes.
Your right about the FOV, but for this game I was looking for a camera fix anyway. I find the camera a bit too tight for normal play in DS1 and the "far back" setting helps with getting different angles on shots. It's a quick and dirty fix compared to using a true free camera (as Isaac is always in the center) but I know next to nothing about Cheat Engine or coding this sort of thing.

I hadn't noticed how much the character and object models "hover" over the floor until I started to use this wide view with low shots...although it is the future so maybe what we are seeing can be explained by personal near field repulsion. =)

9271921610_1665b89b6f_o.jpg

Restrained Prey

9273854721_e2a0cef29f_o.jpg

Hull Breach

Your right about the FOV, but for this game I was looking for a camera fix anyway. I find the camera a bit too tight for normal play in DS1 and the "far back" setting helps with getting different angles on shots. It's a quick and dirty fix compared to using a true free camera (as Isaac is always in the center) but I know next to nothing about Cheat Engine or coding this sort of thing.

I didn't realize how much I hated the default in 2 until I found a way to increase it. It does make the game a bit more enjoyable. And to think I played through 1 and 2 with the default values originally and still found the games enjoyable. Perhaps I'm a masochist...

9275878448_69baf2f257_o.png

9275878656_fb432434da_o.png

One3rd

HERO JELLEH. I love it.

Dead Space 1 version:
9275877974_d6e68e8640_o.png

Dead Space 2 version:
9262032507_3b88375bd3_o.png

Like how you got the same location from both games! Are you using any AA other than DS and SMAA/FXAA? Even at 4K and with SMAA at max I'm still seeing some minor aliasing in most of my shots. I tried injecting just 2xMSAA into the 4K image and brought my PC to it's knees. I had to kill the app after 20 minutes of waiting for my savegame to even load!

Tried some SweetFX presets to help darken things up. [Edit: Oh crap, I took these shots with Steam. SweetFX changes take place after the image goes to Steam doesn't it? Would explain why I'm still seeing aliasing as well.]

9274758709_438ae579c1_o.jpg

Research

9277540122_df276c92f6_o.jpg

Empty Beds

Well I'm rendering the game @ 5500x2320. That's preeeeeeeetty high. No real need for more AA when that is being downsampled to 1920x810.

Damn shame Dark Souls doesn't have a proper free camera. So much potential.

I'm also not really feeling the 16:9 and am itching to get my usual res working without the game just being a black screen.

9282094988_42e9597f9e_o.png

9282092934_de6dbe0219_o.png

One3rd

All of One3rd's flickr links have forced me to save the image when viewing the image URL directly.

Really? I hadn't noticed that. Maybe I'm not linking to the correct link? I did just start to use Flickr recently so I may be doing this incorrectly.

Your right...I'm linking to the Download link on the full size page. I'll link the actual image on that page instead. Sorry about that, thanks for letting me know. Let's see if this works better. [Edit: looks like the difference between the original image and the original image download is just the name of the file. The download image has "_d.jpg" at the end. I'll fix up the last posts. Thanks again for letting me know.]

9277538820_4c88f7d2e4_o.jpg

9277537432_f40a4386bc_o.jpg

senahorse

Man. This game's performance for me is laughable. Its only occasoinally beautiful, and often ugly, the AA decides to do whatever it wants, and my framerate is grabbed out of a hat (when downsampling).

I am at least quite enjoying the gameplay. Hilariously unrealistic, but you always feel like a badass. You could easily re-coat the game in a "Fast and Furious" package and it'd fit perfectly. Just needs a 28-mile airport runway.

grid2_avx_2013_06_02_egdsr.png

grid2_avx_2013_06_02_wsduo.png

Did you have any issues getting downsampling working with this game? Whenever I change the resolution in game I get black bars left and right. Same custom nvidia settings work in other games though.

Did you have any issues getting downsampling working with this game? Whenever I change the resolution in game I get black bars left and right. Same custom nvidia settings work in other games though.

I did have trouble, but not like that. Are you using a square ratio?

Durante

Damn shame Dark Souls doesn't have a proper free camera. So much potential.
I have a built which has that (and also pausing while still moving the camera). However, the problem is that objects get clipped if they are outside the original camera of the game. I've tried for a long time but wasn't able to fix that.

Top Bottom