• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

NBtoaster

15-20fps. Good thing about Crysis games that controls aren't really affected by the framerate much.

cry26aucb.png

cry1tcupi.png

nOoblet16

I can understand settling down for 30FPS for supersampling because 30 is still stable and smooth enough for gameplay, but I will never understand why one would want to play at below 30FPS (let alone 20) just to get that extra benefit in IQ from higher internal rendering resolution. A jerky framerate is more offensive to me than a little worse IQ. But ofcourse if you did that only to take screenshots then it's a different thing.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I can understand settling down for 30FPS for supersampling because 30 is still stable and smooth enough for gameplay, but I will never understand why one would want to play at below 30FPS (let alone 20) just to get that extra benefit in IQ from higher internal rendering resolution. A jerky framerate is more offensive to me than a little worse IQ. But ofcourse if you did that only to take screenshots then it's a different thing.

For the sake of my sanity I assume the most amazing screenshots aren't playable. Though I'm sure plenty of them are.

What actually is IQ? Im trying to gather as much information as possible because I find these things really interesting to get into in my spare time.

NBtoaster

Depends on the game. Crysis games are playable at lower framerates, and it's fairly hard to get good IQ without supersampling, so it's a good trade. Other games can get terribly laggy so it's not worth it.

Demon Ice

Banned
What actually is IQ? Im trying to gather as much information as possible because I find these things really interesting to get into in my spare time.

Image quality. Usually when someone says a game has "bad IQ", it's badly aliased or has a lot of blurring/ghosting from overused and poorly implemented post-process AA.

nOoblet16

Depends on the game. Crysis games are playable at lower framerates, and it's fairly hard to get good IQ without supersampling, so it's a good trade. Other games can get terribly laggy so it's not worth it.

Yes they are playable, infact I myself played Crysis 1 at 20FPS and never realized it was 20 until I turned Fraps on, but that was because I didn't have a choice. Then I played the game at 30FPS and could see the difference, sure you could say the same thing for 30 and 60FPS but I don't really think it'd be the same argument.

Anyways my point being, I find the IQ gain from going that high to be meager compared to the drop in performance, especially considering there's an option to play it at a stable FPS. If you were to go for the crispest IQ then you wouldn't be using SMAA anyways, but your choice anyhow.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
That's a shame, the vertical FOV isn't really a problem I don't find.

Oh wait, now that I remember, there is a mod that let's you increase the FOV, I don't remember which was, maybe Blackfire? It's one of the most renowned C2 mods though, so shouldn't be hard to find.

Yes they are playable, infact I myself played Crysis 1 at 20FPS and never realized it was 20 until I turned Fraps on, but that was because I didn't have a choice. Then I played the game at 30FPS and could see the difference, sure you could say the same thing for 30 and 60FPS but I don't really think it'd be the same argument.

I did the same... I played it on a GT250, everything on low and 20-30fps, but it was surprisingly smooth.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crysis 2 console commands.

cl_fov = 80 (basic FOV tweak, wont go over 80, default is 60-something)
r_drawnearfov = 2 (70 makes the gun look nicer and less huge during gameplay. 2 makes the gun so large it wont render on the screen, thus disappears)
hud_hide = 1 (obvious)

NBtoaster

Anyways my point being, I find the IQ gain from going that high to be meager compared to the drop in performance, especially considering there's an option to play it at a stable FPS. If you were to go for the crispest IQ then you wouldn't be using SMAA anyways, but your choice anyhow.

I've played through already at 60fps, this is just to try out Maldo and downsampling. The SMAA is there because it's still hard to get rid of aliasing even at that res,

I don't think my PC can handle SSAA. :\
I'll try FXAA or SMAA, if nothing changes, I'll deal with it.

Dead Space 2 has problems too?

I believe you have to use a certain compatibility bit to make MSAA work with DS without it breaking stuff. Try one of the two in this list: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357956

Dead Space games are very very well optimized, so you should have no issue with downsampling + SMAA even on low to mid-tier hardware. It's preferable to just MSAA imo.

Planetside 2 no Downsampling, nothing but SMAA.

http://i.minus.com/iCBOqDgdqsyWS.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

They allow injectors now? For a while they threatened people using FXAA injectors with bans.

SMAA won't give you pure unadulterated no edges. It's a bit of a lazier technique compared to other stuff.

What is the grand daddy then? Supersampling? Sorry its 7am here and I have had a torrid night :p I am trying to read up on it and nothing is going in, I have just been fiddling around with the settings in RadeonPro.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What is the grand daddy then? Supersampling? Sorry its 7am here and I have had a torrid night :p I am trying to read up on it and nothing is going in, I have just been fiddling around with the settings in RadeonPro.

To achieve the sharpest image quality in addition to the fewest jaggies, something like super sampling and multisampling is the way to go. But they're expensive, because anti-aliasing is very difficult and we don't have a lot of techniques that have little impact on the image quality.

FXAA, MLAA, and SMAA can all do an excellent job of cleaning up jaggies at an almost negligible performance cost. The catch is they're all post processing techniques. So where multisampling and supersampling will apply antialiasing during the actual rendering of the image, FXAA/MLAA/SMAA are applied after the image is rendered. The system renders the image, and these effects go over the image with various algorithms searching for jaggies and try to smooth them out.

Because in this case the image has already been rendered, badly coded FXAA/MLAA/SMAA can cause the rendered image to blur a bit when the post processing anti-aliasing is applied. Really bad FXAA, for example, will result in very noticeable blur. It gives the image a soft look and thus decreases clarity.

Some people don't mind it, and in fact prefer it to expensive MSAA/SSAA. FXAA/MLAA/SMAA, as said, come at a very small performance cost, so in terms of value they're excellent. But if you want the absolute best and sharpest image quality, while also cleaning up all the aliasing, you need to look into supersampling and multisampling. And again, they're expensive, and can really drag down framerates.

Multisampling is probably the most common and has been used for quite awhile now. Modern systems can handle 2xMSAA or 4xMSAA fairly comfortably. But it also depends on the engine. A lot of games have made the shift to deferred rendering engines, which is good for rendering complex, optimised lighting/shadows, but does not play nice with MSAA. This is partially why we're seeing a lot of FXAA/SMAA/MLAA too, because deferred rendering engines tend to take a larger than normal performance hit from MSAA.

It's also worth noting that as good as MSAA and SSAA are, even those require well optimised code to ensure good image quality. In the odd game here and there MSAA does a shitty job, and SSAA introduces blurring.

NBtoaster

The game decided to crash at 3200x1800 suddenly, back to this.

gud1pbrt4.png

gud215rc8.png

Temporarily turned their temporal AA on with the last one, rain effect doesn't appear without it and it creates a neat look to the flames.

KyleHarrison

Neo Member
Some pretty awesome screenshots in these threads :)

My contribution is nothing super amazing, but something about this one I took a few months ago just resonates with me so well :

Skyrim (unmodded, obviously)
2012-10-23_00008.jpg

To achieve the sharpest image quality in addition to the fewest jaggies, something like super sampling and multisampling is the way to go. But they're expensive, because anti-aliasing is very difficult and we don't have a lot of techniques that have little impact on the image quality.

FXAA, MLAA, and SMAA can all do an excellent job of cleaning up jaggies at an almost negligible performance cost. The catch is they're all post processing techniques. So where multisampling and supersampling will apply antialiasing during the actual rendering of the image, FXAA/MLAA/SMAA are applied after the image is rendered. The system renders the image, and these effects go over the image with various algorithms searching for jaggies and try to smooth them out.

Because in this case the image has already been rendered, badly coded FXAA/MLAA/SMAA can cause the rendered image to blur a bit when the post processing anti-aliasing is applied. Really bad FXAA, for example, will result in very noticeable blur. It gives the image a soft look and thus decreases clarity.

Some people don't mind it, and in fact prefer it to expensive MSAA/SSAA. FXAA/MLAA/SMAA, as said, come at a very small performance cost, so in terms of value they're excellent. But if you want the absolute best and sharpest image quality, while also cleaning up all the aliasing, you need to look into supersampling and multisampling. And again, they're expensive, and can really drag down framerates.

Multisampling is probably the most common and has been used for quite awhile now. Modern systems can handle 2xMSAA or 4xMSAA fairly comfortably. But it also depends on the engine. A lot of games have made the shift to deferred rendering engines, which is good for rendering complex, optimised lighting/shadows, but does not play nice with MSAA. This is partially why we're seeing a lot of FXAA/SMAA/MLAA too, because deferred rendering engines tend to take a larger than normal performance hit from MSAA.

It's also worth noting that as good as MSAA and SSAA are, even those require well optimised code to ensure good image quality. In the odd game here and there MSAA does a shitty job, and SSAA introduces blurring.

I can't thank you enough thats perfect! Ill make a note of all this. Just one question do I use any of these(FXAA, SMAA etc) along with super/multisampling? or are they all mutually exclusive?

Top Bottom