• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 has been the Year of the Koopalings

Neiteio

Ever since they first appeared in SMB3, many Mario fans have had a soft spot in their hearts for the seven Koopalings. Since then, a new generation of Mario fans have come to know them in the NSMB series.

This year has been GREAT for fans of the Koopalings. 2014 is the year they became playable, in two of Nintendo's biggest games. (Three games, depending on how you look at it!)

Most recently, they became playable in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. They'll be in the WiiU version, as well. They are available as variants of Bowser Jr., complete with their own names, voices and audience chants. They all fight from inside the heavily armed Junior Clown Car.

ssb-koopakids7buxx.png

(First row, left to right: Bowser Jr., Larry, Roy, Wendy. Second row, left to right: Iggy, Morton, Lemmy, Ludwig.)

And prior to that, they made their playable debut in Mario Kart 8, cementing that game's roster as my favorite in the Mario Kart series to date:

mk8-koopalings02resizsruap.png

So, how have you been enjoying the Year of the Koopalings so far?

And which one is your favorite? :-D

Neiteio

Larry is the best Koopa. He's so adorable <3 almost falling out of the koopa clown car!
Larry is the everyman Koopaling. The other six are all extremes: Roy is way radical, Lemmy is c-c-c-crazy, Ludwig is the foppish aristocrat, Iggy is the lovable nerd, Wendy is the spoiled brat, and Morton is a Fat Albert-esque caricature.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite, though. Usually I err on the side of Morton. But sometimes I'm just not feeling his dreary hues. Other times I really dig his black and silver motif. I'm moody, I s'ppose.

Bowser Jr. is probably my favorite these days. Smash Bros. really opened my eyes to how cute he can be!

Hiltz

It's surprising that it has taken this long for Nintendo to feature the Koopalings in their other franchises, especially with Mario Kart.

Kyzon

After the Year of Luigi it's now the year of anyone who receives a little attention, lol.

Also, Iggy is the best!

They're some of my favorite characters in Smash 3DS, and I cannot believe the amount of detail that went into them.

Also, Icky Iggy!

maxcriden

More about my favorite Koopaling:

120px-Bowserjr_iconart.png

As revealed in his Super Smash Bros. Brawl trophy, Bowser Jr. was also motivated to kidnap Peach by his own affection for her, and in Mario Superstar Baseball, he continues to calls her "mama", suggesting he wishes she really was his mother. His actual mother has not been revealed.

As the heir to the throne, Bowser Jr. is naturally a high-ranking member of the Koopa Troop. Initially, there was some ambiguity about where he stood with respect to the Koopalings, who were originally portrayed as Bowser's seven children, but this story was later omitted in favour of Junior being Bowser's only child. While not considered siblings anymore, Junior and the Koopalings have been shown working together on a few of Bowser's plots. It is also noted that Bowser Jr. always wears his bandana on his face in the presence of the Koopalings (except when it is forcibly knocked off in a crashlanding airship) suggesting he strives to be higher in their presence.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser_Jr.

OMG, I was just thinking. What if the next Mario & Luigi game is Bowser Jr.'s Inside Story?!

Neiteio

They're some of my favorite characters in Smash 3DS, and I cannot believe the amount of detail that went into them.
Yep. As I mentioned in another thread, the attention to detail is astounding.

I mean, the Junior Clown Car includes the following:

- Cannon
- Buzzsaw
- Tongue
- Propeller
- Hammer
- Grappling claw
- Rubber mallet
- Boxing gloves
- Pitchforks
- Wrecking balls
- Drill-arms
- Drill (bottom)
- Kart mode
- Mechakoopas
- Eject seat
- Self-destruct

Then you take into account its changing facial expressions when attacking, when hit, etc., and the fact there are two hit-boxes (one for the pilot, one for the Clown Car)... It's amazing how much work went into that character!

andymcc

Banned
How does anyone not like the koopalings

When I first played Mario 3 as a child, I was so stoked to not fight Bowser at the end of every stage!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm surprised Nintendo has paid so much attention to them recently. They are cool though.

Why though?
They've said multiple times they are ging back to double-downing on kids and families. You can see it in their marketing and - lot of their recent game decision decision. Such as the OP

Molemitts

Does Bowser Jr count as a Koopaling? Because he's my favourite. He wasn't in Mario Kart 7 or 8, though, which I'm still salty about. I do like all of the koopalings, except Wendy, who reminds me of Angelica from Rugrats, for some reason.

Mesoian

I main Roy in both Mario Kart and Smash. So OP might be onto something.

Does Bowser Jr count as a Koopaling? Because he's my favourite. He wasn't in Mario Kart 7 or 8, though, which I'm still salty about. I do like all of the koopalings, except Wendy, who reminds me of Angelica from Rugrats, for some reason.

That's a fair comparison.

Hear hear, OP. I've always loved the Koopalings and didn't like how Bowser, Jr. displaced them for a while. Super happy to see them come back and that they're getting so much care and attention in both these games.

Hope they are playable in the next iterations of Mario Golf, Tennis, etc.

Blues1990

Lemmy has always been my favourite of the Koopalings, but I also have a soft spot for Morton Jr. And as much as I love Mr. Miyamoto, I still consider the Koopalings to be part of Bowers off-spring, with Jr being the most spoiled of the bunch.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
All I remember from early MK8 GAF threads is hate for them because they "took other characters slots." While they're not really a strong addition to the game I still welcome them better than a lot of other choices. Them being alts in Smash Bros works a lot more favourably though since they are all one item.

I like Ludwig and Roy the most.

Camjo-Z

I really don't like any of the Koopalings much. I'd be annoyed at their inclusion in MK8, but I suspect without them we'd have gotten Goomba or a Fire Flower as playable characters instead.

If I had to pick though, Ludwig and Wendy manage to annoy me the least.

I really wish they still were his kids. It gave such a cool dynamism to Bowser to see him as a single father of 7 kids. It made you appreciate his struggle more.

Now dude is employing child labor while his loser son flies around in an automatic vehicle and can't be bothered to walk.

Bowser Jr. > Koopalings

All that really matters since he is Bowser's only child. Not the Koopalings.

Worst first post I've seen in a while.

Ludwig von Koopa approves this trend.

the one with the blue nappy hair is my favorite, gangsta.

Ludwig is best Koopa and Bowser's true heir in my heart. He's who I'll play in Smash.

Neiteio

For the purposes of this thread, feel free to name Bowser Jr. as your favorite Koopaling. :)

Hear hear, OP. I've always loved the Koopalings and didn't like how Bowser, Jr. displaced them for a while. Super happy to see them come back and that they're getting so much care and attention in both these games.

Hope they are playable in the next iterations of Mario Golf, Tennis, etc.
Yeah, I used to dislike Bowser Jr. because it seemed he had replaced the Koopalings. But nowadays they coexist alongside each other, and that's allowed me to reassess Bowser Jr. Now he's possibly my favorite!

Roy is still nr. 1...I mean...look at this beauty:

http://i.minus.com/ieEOWMMXcd3gt.gif

"Elaine, I can't take my eyes off the passion!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
And which one is your favorite? :-D

Luigi...

*death stares everyone*

OMG, I was just thinking. What if the next Mario & Luigi game is Bowser Jr.'s Inside Story?!

Then Mario and Luigi would get thrown in jail as Bowser Jr is underage... though they seem to be okay with them stomping on Bowser Jr's head.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bowser Jr is DLC for Mario Kart 8.

Man, why would anyone play as Bowser Jr. in Smash when Ludwig's right there.

Because Ludwig is evil.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
as far as i'm concerned, the koopalings are bowsers kids and bowser struggles as a single father / widow

he also knocked up a rando a few years back and finds bowser jr to just be a real piece a shit kid

Top Bottom