• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 has been the Year of the Koopalings

TreIII

Roy is the man dude.

My girlfriend bought me a Roy plush a couple weeks back

[
10691713_763416667059274_854265012_n.jpg

Damn right. Morton comes in a close second, for me, though.

ByLE0bAIQAAPWUJ.jpg

18-Volt

I don't like Koopalings. I like Fawful, best Mario villain ever. He deserves a spot in MK and Smash more than those crybabies.

Neiteio

as far as i'm concerned, the koopalings are bowsers kids and bowser struggles as a single father / widow

he also knocked up a rando a few years back and finds bowser jr to just be a real piece a shit kid
Bowser Jr.'s trophy in Smash Bros. describes him as "Bowser's beloved, spoiled son," so I don't get the impression Bowser hates him.

Bowser wuvs his wittle juniah:

N1AHiKP.gif

Mlatador

Banned
Too bad only Roy and Morton are viable characters in MK8 (due to their weight) and that the others just don't stand a chance (like most mid to lightweight/super lightweight characters).

Neiteio

Do they each get their own character trophy in Classic and All-star mode too? Because that would be dedication.
Bowser Jr. has a Classic trophy and an All-Stars trophy (the All-Stars trophy shows him doing the Clown Kart Dash).

The seven Koopalings each have their own trophy, but you obtain these like you would obtain other trophies, by winning them in Trophy Rush, picking them up in Smash Run or Classic Mode, or buying them in the Trophy Shop.

Neiteio

The koopalings are really nothing but nostalgia and MK8 roster padding. Bowser Jr fills the role of all 8 of them.
They're no more "filler" or "padding" than Daisy, Waluigi, etc. In fact, they've had meaningful roles in mainline Mario games, as recurring bosses in SMB3, World, NSMB, NSMB2, NSMB Wii, NSMB U. That's more than can be said for most characters on the rosters of Mario spinoffs.

TreIII

I really wish they still were his kids. It gave such a cool dynamism to Bowser to see him as a single father of 7 kids. It made you appreciate his struggle more.

Now dude is employing child labor while his loser son flies around in an automatic vehicle and can't be bothered to walk.

Depends on how you choose to view it.

*WARNING "DEEPEST LORE" LEVEL STUFF AHEAD*

The Japanese Mario Kart 8 Direct referred to the Koopalings as being Bowser's "Kobun". While yes, "Kobun" can be translated as "Minion" (which is what NOE uses), it loses some of the original flavor of the Japanese text.

In Yakuza parlance, Kobun refers to the (adopted) "child" subordinate of a Yakuza group's Oyabun/Grandfather. In that respect, it doesn't do anything to undermine the original JP SMB3's storyline of the 7 being his "children" (where they also referred to him as "Oyaji"). The very thing that Nintendo still has not gone through the trouble of ever updating throughout the various remakes and re-releases over the years, while still making it plain that Junior is Bowser's biological son.

I mean, Wendy was referred to as a Princess in the MK8 Direct, which also matches up with how she apparently sees Daisy and Peach as her "rivals" going by her trophy description in Smash4. Therefore, it'd be safe to presume that the Koopalings are like Bowser's adopted wards.

andymcc

Banned

The Japanese Mario Kart 8 Direct referred to the Koopalings as being Bowser's "Kobun". While yes, "Kobun" can be translated as "Minion" (which is what NOE uses), it loses some of the original flavor of the Japanese text.

In Yakuza parlance, Kobun refers to the (adopted) child of a Yakuza group's Oyabun/Grandfather. In that respect, it doesn't do anything to undermine the original JP SMB3's storyline of the 7 being his "children" (where they also referred to him as "Oyaji"). The very thing that Nintendo still has not gone through the trouble of ever updating throughout the various remakes and re-releases over the years, while still making it plain that Junior is Bowser's biological son.

I mean, Wendy was referred to as a Princess in the MK8 Direct, which also matches up with how she apparently sees Daisy and Peach as her "rivals" going by her trophy description in Smash4. Therefore, it'd be safe to presume that the Koopalings are like Bowser's adopted wards.

After the creepy Smash descriptor for the 1up, I'm willing to believe anything nowadays.

etrain911

Bowser Jr. has a Classic trophy and an All-Stars trophy (the All-Stars trophy shows him doing the Clown Kart Dash).

The seven Koopalings each have their own trophy, but you obtain these like you would obtain other trophies, by winning them in Trophy Rush, picking them up in Smash Run or Classic Mode, or buying them in the Trophy Shop.

Hm. Still really cool that they're all voiced and given their own chants though! Although it must be jarring to finish classic with Ludwig or Roy and have the credits and trophy feature Bowser Jr.

Neiteio

In Yakuza parlance, Kobun refers to the (adopted) child of a Yakuza group's Oyabun/Grandfather. In that respect, it doesn't do anything to undermine the original JP SMB3's storyline of the 7 being his "children" (where they also referred to him as "Oyaji"). The very thing that Nintendo still has not gone through the trouble of ever updating throughout the various remakes and re-releases over the years, while still making it plain that Junior is Bowser's biological son.

I'm cool with the Koopalings being Bowser's adopted kids. Adopted kids are kids all the same, but maybe Miyamoto was just referring to their biological origin when he said Junior is Bowser's "only child."

It's kind of poignant to wonder what lives these Koopalings might have fled to turn to their life of crime.
(lol)

Neiteio

Hm. Still really cool that they're all voiced and given their own chants though! Although it must be jarring to finish classic with Ludwig or Roy and have the credits and trophy feature Bowser Jr.
Their names also appear on the character select screen, their victory screen and in their character portraits during a match. They each also have their own unique stock icons.

TreIII

I'm cool with the Koopalings being Bowser's adopted kids. Adopted kids are kids all the same, but maybe Miyamoto was just referring to their biological origin when he said Junior is Bowser's "only child."

It's kind of poignant to wonder what lives these Koopalings might have fled to turn to their life of crime.
(lol)

And we know Miyamoto doesn't really care about the story anyway, so... :lol

I mean, to me, it's the simplest answer you can give. Otherwise, we'd still have to address the issue of who else sired these Koopas, when we don't even know Bowser's own damn parents are.

Blues1990

I just find it weird that Morton, Roy, & Iggy's heads are attached to Jr's body, but I guess that is due to keeping it inline with his hit box.

Molemitts

I like to imagine that Bowser Jr is Bowser's first born, heir to the Koopa Kingdom. Which would explain why he's so spoiled by Bowser, being taken on holiday in Super Mario Sunshine and helping Bowser to kidnap Peach.

I just love the idea of Bowser being a loving father, though

Dimmle

It weirds me out to see so many Bowser Jr. proponents. Not only that, but Koopaling detractors?

Mario games only have so many characters that aren't derivative of existing characters; seven original designs are a win in my book. I've been enamored with the Koopalings ever since their unique personalities won me over in Super Mario World. Happy to see them getting some spotlight.

Happy to see Ludwig getting some spotlight.

Ludwig.

TreIII

I want a game featuring these guys.

A Mario game where you play the villains.

Just give Bowser his own RPG at long last, and have Junior and the Koopalings be his Paper Mario-style "partners".

It's all I ask...

That's really the best part. At the end of the day, Bowser isn't evil. He's just a jerk. A big dumb bully. But he still has a heart. :-D

BzRaq4RIQAA_D2c.jpg

CorvoSol

For a long time I thought that Bowser's name was Roy (or was it Morton?) because the Koopaling was Roy Jr. or Morton Jr. or something. Then Bowser Jr. rolled along and I was really lost.

If Mario ever did manage to kill off Bowser the war for succession to the Koopa Krown would be bloody.

BRB heading to fanfic.net

Pociask

Who cares about who's the mother and who's the father. What the heck are they?

SMB established the various types of creatures in the Mario universe - obviously things like Goombas and Cheep Cheeps. Here, though, we're talking about the genus Koopa - the shelled creatures of the Mario universe. There are the brainless green shelled koops (who will walk right off a cliff), the slightly smarter red shelled koopas, winged koopas (flightless and flying sub-species), and I just realized looking at the official artwork that spinies are themselves koopas with orange shells and spikes. Then, you've got your upright koopas - hammer, fire, sledge, boomerang, etc.

So how does the King of the Koopas fit into any of this? Is he some kind of bizarre Frankenstein-like amalgation of the various Koopa races (green shell, spiked, upright, breathes fire, also throws hammers sometimes)? And what about the Koopalings? Are they just upright koopas that showed ambition and promise? Does walking on two legs instead of four actually signify anything? Has the NSMB series already answered that question with its upright dancing koopas? Can I think of any more questions to string on here?

Burning questions that deserve answers, I tell ya.

Dimmle

Who cares about who's the mother and who's the father. What the heck are they?

SMB established the various types of creatures in the Mario universe - obviously things like Goombas and Cheep Cheeps. Here, though, we're talking about the genus Koopa - the shelled creatures of the Mario universe. There are the brainless green shelled koops (who will walk right off a cliff), the slightly smarter red shelled koopas, winged koopas (flightless and flying sub-species), and I just realized looking at the official artwork that spinies are themselves koopas with orange shells and spikes. Then, you've got your upright koopas - hammer, fire, sledge, boomerang, etc.

So how does the King of the Koopas fit into any of this? Is he some kind of bizarre Frankenstein-like amalgation of the various Koopa races (green shell, spiked, upright, breathes fire, also throws hammers sometimes)? And what about the Koopalings? Are they just upright koopas that showed ambition and promise? Does walking on two legs instead of four actually signify anything? Has the NSMB series already answered that question with its upright dancing koopas? Can I think of any more questions to string on here?

Burning questions that deserve answers, I tell ya.
This guy gets it.

Neiteio

Just give Bowser his own RPG at long last, and have Junior and the Koopalings be his Paper Mario-style "partners".

It's all I ask...

BzRaq4RIQAA_D2c.jpg
Yeah, an RPG starring Bowser with Junior and the Koopalings as his Paper Mario-style partners would be AMAZING.

Also, where did you find that pic? Glad to see hipster Bowser from the New 3DS commercial getting some extra mileage in fan art!

TreIII

Yeah, an RPG starring Bowser with Junior and the Koopalings as his Paper Mario-style partners would be AMAZING.

Also, where did you find that pic? Glad to see hipster Bowser from the New 3DS commercial getting some extra mileage in fan art!

Got posted on Twitter a day or so ago.

Ludwig is my man, he gets the unique SMW boss battle and final Koopaling to fight spot in NSMB games for a reason.
Plus he's got that hair that no doubt led to his name and he's got some poncy voice samples, he's a high class Koopa for sure.

Though it feels weird using him in Smash, Bowser Jr just feels more right in the Clown Car.

Neiteio

Ludwig is my man, he gets the unique SMW boss battle and final Koopaling to fight spot in NSMB games for a reason.
Plus he's got that hair that no doubt led to his name and he's got some poncy voice samples, he's a high class Koopa for sure.

Though it feels weird using him in Smash, Bowser Jr just feels more right in the Clown Car.
Ludwig feels appropriate in the Clown Car, IMO. I have to imagine the Clown Car costs a pretty penny with all of its gizmos and gadgets. Fitting for an aristocrat like Ludwig!

Ludwig feels appropriate in the Clown Car, IMO. I have to imagine the Clown Car costs a pretty penny with all of its gizmos and gadgets. Fitting for an aristocrat like Ludwig!

I don't know, maybe it would fit more if he put on a racing scarf and proceeded to blare classical music out of it, this works for both kart and flight modes.

Top Bottom