• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

Speedhoven

Neo Member
Horrible press conference. Really. I dont get all this decent comments.

- Evovle
- Sunset Overdrive
- Crackdown
- Platinum Game
- Halo re-releases
- More Forza
- Ori
- Fable

(Might have missed some)

Halo is Halo. Im sure forza can be fun, but the only new exciting thing they had was Ori. But they made even Fable look bland, boring and predictable.
This was a bad press conference. Out of the 5 best showcases, 4 was multiplatform.

AHA-Lambda

7/10

solid, but no real surprises or stand out moments.

Unfortunately, I feel like that could be a theme this E3 somehow =/

Do want
Cuphead-TheGreatSlime.gif
Best thing shown in the conference really.

Arzehn

Phantom Dust and Scalebound showing CG trailers means they probably just pulled these out really early to try to win a crucial E3. I imagine these games are still far off. Solid conference though with non-stop games... was surprised at how much stuff they had for 2014. Conker thing still has me bummed out though.

8/10

KAL2006

Banned
Disappointed. Every multi platform game I thought to myself this will look better on PS4 and PC. As for new exclusives, they were Phantom Dust, Crackdown and and Platinum Games New IP which all were CO trailers and look far off. It seems MS are desperate to show of games early I am questioning if those games are even 2015 games.

Relique

Despite not having any jaw dropping announcements, the pacing of the conference was very good. They showed games all the way through. Unfortunately no gameplay for Phantom Dust, Scalebound, and Crackdown. Overall I'd give the conference an 8 out of 10. However, I am not too impressed with the game selection through 2015.

5.5/10

Very predictable exclusives. A huge bunch of 3rd party games that will likely be better looking/performing on PC/PS4. Lots of CGI trailers and a stage demo for a 10 year old game.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Hmm. Solid B- conference. Felt like a love letter to 'Box fans. Not quite as earthshaking as I was expecting. I'm surprised the rumored Platinum game was the only third-party exclusive on stage.

Kuldar

Good show but not great: 7.9/10.

More seriously, they did what they said: it was games, games, games and games. Not a word about kinect or TV and it was good.

Barakov

Gold Member
All in all it was a pretty good conference. I was actually pretty interested in almost everything they showed. It pretty much ensures I'll pick up a One this summer.

nobody talks like that in co op games, like in the division demo

haha when i play with friends or cousins we talk a lot of shit and go "fucking cover me" , "who the fuck shot me" :p

Sunset Overdrive was the clear winner here. Taking the piss out of the grimdark COD shootery stuff was a bit on the nose, but still appreciated. Beautiful colours, smooth animation, it just looks like pure fun. I read the Edge article last month but it didn't do it justice, I was really impressed.

Crackdown is nice to have back with D. Jones at the helm. Halo Collection we knew about, but it will also be great to have everything on one disc, Criterion-ized for your pleasure. Plus a day without Dan Ayoub on stage is like a woman without diamonds or a day without Twinkies. Good stuff.

Felt bad for the Harmonix dev. Sucks to have the rug pulled out from underneath you like that.

All in all, a decent conference. No megatons.
Phantom Dust is a megaton, IMO. Now time to try and access the archives because I missed 99% of it. The Twitch audio only thing on the mobile app is kinda cool though.

Scotch

Certainly not a bad conference. In fact, the structure of the conference was pretty amazing, just games, games games.

But as much as I loved the first Crackdown, they didn't show anything that truly wowed me. I'm still waiting for the game that just screams 'next-gen'. The kind of game Gears of War was for the Xbox 360.

Spineker

Banned
A couple of observations:

Kinect is pretty much dead. Only reference to it in the whole conference was on the big screen behind the Xbone

Conker appearance and subsequent "fuck you" to Rare's old fans was a dick move that won't soon be forgotten

Sunset Overdrive looks good

Too much CGI to get a fair idea of the other games

Halo Collection is awesome but is coming to PC too apparently soo.....

Overall, I rate it 6/10. Better than last year but the Conker thing cut me deep.

Solid.

No surprises.. but then again all of those were leaked earlier this year.

Anyone still think nktrnl was controlled?

That would have probably been a 9/10 conference for most had most of that not already been anticipated.

Still, CG or not, the fact that Crackdown and PD are back is enough for me. Platinum Game is Platinum so that's going to be on my radar.

Other than that, I left wanting games I already wanted.

Lots of people, and they remain clueless

There were a lot of cheesy trailers and they depended heavily on multi-plat games. It made me want an xbox one, but I'll wait to get one. We knew almost everything coming in.

Overall I give them a B

sappyday

This is their best conference that I have ever been a witness to. Pure games. A lot of good ones and none made me want to turn off the stream (except maybe Fables).

People complaining about CGI is baffling. We're always treated to just CGI, it's no big deal. Games are not ready to be shown but knowing they're in development is the upside. None of these studios are Team Ico or Square so don't expect these games to come out in 3 years.

I never thought I'd say this is the constant stream of games for 90 minutes wore me out. Adding a little breathers here and there might have worked better for me.

And dude MS the DLC first bs is not an incentive.

Sifl

Everything got spoiled which made it less exciting. Would give it a 7/10, but it gets a 4/10 just because I'm salty as fuck about Conker.

Based on reactions here and on Twitter, looks like it was a OK conference.

ntkrnl ruined all their surprises, except for Phantom Dust (never heard of that game before...).

Rozart

I think I'm coming off this a little underwhelmed/disappointed because I was expecting a big megaton. A little too much CGI trailers too but overall there were plenty of interesting reveals. Loved the Witcher and AC: Unity gameplay (France looks like it's shaping up to be a fantastic backdrop), the Limbo sequel and SO (what a fantastic trailer that was!). The Scalebound trailer got me pretty excited too.

It was a decent, good solid conference I feel. Lacking the huge bombs but it had great pacing: just games, games, games.

FaintDeftone

Definitely stronger than last year, but still not the best. I was very happy to see Rise of the Tomb Raider, Crackdown III and Phantom Dust though. Other than those three, it was pretty much as expected.

7/10 ish?

The Goat

Overall, good conference for Microsoft. Nothing crazy groundbreaking, but everything showed well.

The leaks really hurt the impact, but I'm glad the message was games, games and more games. They played it a bit safe, but they did what they needed to do.

A solid B from me.

DieH@rd

Banned
Generously... 7/10.

They did not bore us, but they did not show anything even close to megaton. Too many already leaked games, no suprises, and few announcment were not even present [Quantum Break, Gears]. I expected more.

Top Bottom