• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"2015 is a HUGE year for Rare", says Robin Beanland

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The prospect of Banjo coming back now just reminds me of the sheer stupidity of Nintendo selling Rareware during the GameCube era. You give up all those IP's (Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemeni) and an experienced FPS developer for what? Money, something you've got plenty of. Stupid. I look forward to what Rare produces this go-round.

It seems to me Nintendo made a very wise choice. Their output is horrendous. MS has almost nothing to show for the investment.

Vaddon

I'd love to see a new Banjo, like many others would. But just to be a little different, it'd be great to see what a Jet Force Gemini sequel would look like on the One's hardware, what with the massive variety in locations and planets. Banjo seems to make the most sense though, probably their most requested game at this point.

I'm excited whatever it is anyway, I wouldn't agree that the Rare 'soul' or talent was gone. I loved the heck out of their 360 games and a lot of the old Rare staff are still there. There's always new talent in the industry anyway.

Honestly, UE4 powered Banjo will be a sight to behold.

Although it is disappointing that RARE aren't using their own engine any more. KSR looked fantastic and their engines last gen were superb.

I think the rumor was that things were not going so well between Nintendo and Rare during the development of Star Fox Adventures? I could be completely wrong about that though

It seems to me Nintendo made a very wise choice. Their output is horrendous.

Rare was worth it if only for the IP's. Think how much better the GCN era would have been with Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark, Jet Force, and a new FPS from Rare to fill in the gaps. Even if they had to fire the entire staff and start from scratch, it would have been worth it. Moreover, I was under the impression that the majority of Rare's staff left after the sale because they hated Microsoft. I know the reason for the sale was that the Stampers wanted to pull out and sell their portion of the stock to Nintendo or something and Nintendo thought the price was too high (it wasn't). At that point, the staff was still there I think- which is moot because Rare was worth it for the IP's alone.

Patapwn

I'd love to see a new Banjo, like many others would. But just to be a little different

I think they should keep it traditional for a comeback. If they want to experiment after that I'm fine but prove that banjo 3 can be done first

Although it is disappointing that RARE aren't using their own engine any more. KSR looked fantastic and their engines last gen were superb.

UE4 integrates new technologies into their engine, though, so at least RARE still has the opportunity to add their own tech much like Lionhead did.

EvB

Moreover, I was under the impression that the majority of Rare's staff left after the sale because they hated Microsoft.

It's very well documented that Rare wasn't a very good place to work even in the Nintendo years, there seemed to be a lot of bad blood between people. Rare's last output with Nintendo wasn't great either and is considered one of their weakest titles.

FaintDeftone

Clanker being even more absolutely frightening?

Honestly, Rare is a shell of it's former self now. The developer just isn't the same anymore; the talent is mostly gone. I'm curious to see what they have in store but I'm keeping my expectations VERY low.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Is it horrendous because you don't like anything they came out with

PRETTY sure their 360 output was incredibly well received

Not talking about quality. It's frequency that's the issue. IPs are worthless if they aren't leveraged. Rare has done little to invalidate Nintendos decision to dump them.

cakely

This is going to be a huge year for Rare by comparison to 2014 during which they were chained to Kinect, which was then thrown under a bus.

Vaddon

I think they should keep it traditional for a comeback. If they want to experiment after that I'm fine but prove that banjo 3 can be done first

Yeah, agreed. Banjo would be the most popular (and well known) choice amongst their audience, it seems like the best option.

Quit beating the horse to death. Yes, we all know that many of you believe rare is no longer rare. There are so many relies with that laced in it. It maddening to see every rare thread littered with that comment.

hydruxo

If they are making another Banjo, I hope they've gotten over their whole "Oh no we can't make Banjo a platformer because it won't sell, it has to be innovative!!" phase they were in when they made N&B.

I enjoyed Nuts & Bolts for what it was, but it wasn't a Banjo game at heart. It would've been great as a new IP rather than tacking on Banjo stuff. The question is whether or not Rare still has it in them to make a true Banjo game, and I'm not sure that they do. We'll see though.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I-dont-believe-you.gif

Want to be proved wrong.

Pretty much. It's impossible to get excited about anything Rare these days. Specially after the shitshow that was showing Conker during the Project Spark reveal. Assholes.

3bdelilah

Banned
The selfish me hopes it isn't Banjo yet. I'm wasn't planning on buying an XBO until current gen nears its end, but Banjo-Threeie would make me reconsider. And I'm not sure how to justify €400 for one game. :(

I'm going to remain cautiously excited about this. Even if it is a new Banjo or Conker game, it doesn't mean they have the talent to make something special with.

ShogunX

If it's a new Banjo or Conker and it turns out to be an excellent game.........everybody who doesn't buy it should be banned from owning a gaming device ever again.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's strange. It's like Microsoft this gen (and a little bit towards the end of last gen) took the playbook on "How to fuck up your gaming console brand" and made sure they checked every box.

Rare is a prime example of this. They could easily put a foot towards getting the Xbox One back in the game with all the Rare IPs they're sitting on. If they:

- Make Banjo 3. I'm pretty sure there's a decent market for a good, old school collect a thon 3D platformer.

- Perfect Dark 2 in the Samaritan Demo setting.

- Jet Force Gemini. This could almost be their "Gears for Kids" if you will depending on how well they do it.

- Battletoads. Something for the hardest of the hardcore.

- Get Rare to make a Kart racer or Wave Racer game. Kinect Sports Rivals show they know EXACTLY how to make a new Wave Race, get them to fucking make one.

Microsoft isn't in a postition to bank on nothing but blockbusters. I know that's what they prefer but right now they need to give the public more and more reasons to make the Xbox One library a library worth looking into. The above games would go a huge way to doing that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The selfish me hopes it isn't Banjo yet. I'm wasn't planning on buying an XBO until current gen nears its end, but Banjo-Threeie would make me reconsider. And I'm not sure how to justify €400 for one game. :(
I have the perfect justification: It's Banjo.

The sign post in this PlayStation 4 advertisement is no accident (observe also the taxi driver). To suggest otherwise is absurd. I honestly believe Sony held back the Crash Bandicoot announcement to counter what Rare are doing. So a good year all around, I reckon.
While I'd be happy about a new Crash Bandicoot and would buy a PS4 for it if it does not release on any platform I own, Crash is no match for Banjo :).

black_spear

Neo Member
If you would have asked him about 2014 one year ago, he would have answered the same. I’m sure.

Once Kinect was moved to a second role in the Xbox One policy, RARE had to be used to develop ordinary projects again. So, I’m not surprised. It’s what they have to do.

Shojx

2015, the year Banjo-Threeie was finally announced.

I just want to see it.

Although, Beanland being a composer and dropping all these hints leads me to believe Grant Kirkhope won't be composing the soundtrack for whatever this is. If it really is Banjo, that's kind of disappointing since his memorable tunes from BK & BT were a big part of why I loved the games. But regardless, if it's a new Banjo, I'm interested.

STEaMkb

The sign post in this PlayStation 4 advertisement is no accident (observe also the taxi driver). To suggest otherwise is absurd. I honestly believe Sony held back the Crash Bandicoot announcement to counter what Rare are doing. So a good year all around, I reckon.

While I'd be happy about a new Crash Bandicoot and would buy a PS4 for it if it does not release on any platform I own, Crash is no match for Banjo :)

Perspective is a funny thing.

Top Bottom