• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

Durante

battle28uqlt.jpg

It's really hard to take a screenshot of Zestiria's battles which looks decent (while playing normally) - even though it looks great in-game - just because it's so fast-paced, but I think this one is ok. 60 FPS too!

I'm PRETTY sure Spazz knows Natty from Flickr. If I had to guess, I thinik Spazz is commenting on Natty's amazing screenshot talents. Because... he's so fucking good that he makes the rest of us look bad.

I could be wrong though....

The linking is due to Natty's shots all being ridiculously high res and I'm guessing he doesn't want to host downsampled versions on another site\account.

So why hide it behind compression? :/

I don't see the issue with just posting the original screenshot here. 5K or not!

AdanVC

Battlefront and Ass Creed Syndicate are the best looking games of the generation so far. INSAAAANEE how good they look. I'm terrified to imagine how games will look in like, 5 years now.

NattyDread

Neo Member
No offense, but fuck you, man.
:D Thanks...I guess...

I think he's referring to NattyDread hotlinking every screenshot, which breaks middle click-scrolling. And as a middle click-scroller myself I'd have to agree, it's very annoying!
The originals are usually huge so I link them in these 2048px wide Flickr resized ones. Never realized that could be an issue.
So am I to resize the originals and upload them again somewhere as png so I can post them here?

I'm PRETTY sure Spazz knows Natty from Flickr. If I had to guess, I thinik Spazz is commenting on Natty's amazing screenshot talents. Because... he's so fucking good that he makes the rest of us look bad.

You ARE wrong James. I'm not that fucking good, stop it. :p

Mad Max || 3500p || ReShade || deadendthrills CT || SRWE || in-game capturemode || Panorama (15 shots) ||

The originals are usually huge so I link them in these 2048px wide Flickr resized ones. Never realized that could be an issue.
So am I to resize the originals and upload them again somewhere as png so I can post them here?

What I referred to in my post was just the hot-linking screenshots. It can be annoying when you're browsing through the thread and the browser suddenly stops and opens up 3 new tabs because one image is hot-linked. Not everyone uses middle click to browse though!

I'm not sure if size is necessarily an issue. I mean people come here expecting uncompressed, high-res screenshots so I'm not sure if people would complain.

You're posting compressed .jpgs though which is against the rules.

I'm not sure if size is necessarily an issue. I mean people come here expecting uncompressed, high-res screenshots so I'm not sure if people would complain.

It's not against the rules, if it were we couldn't post PNGs too as they are also compressed.

NattyDread

Neo Member
What I referred to in my post was just the hot-linking screenshots. It can be annoying when you're browsing through the thread and the browser suddenly stops and opens up 3 new tabs because one image is hot-linked. Not everyone uses middle click to browse though!

I'm pretty sure that they are the highest quality jpgs and those are just the "thumbnails". If you're really interested in the shot you click it and view the full size uncompressed png in a clean, new tab. That sounds perfect to me. If you on the other hand don't care about it, that 1% difference in quality form the png won't really ruin your experience in this thread.
Concerning middle-click browsing - just don't click on the image...don't really see what's all the fuss about.

I'm against posting huge shots here because I occasionally want tho visit this thread on my mobile but Chrome keeps crashing on my iphon6 half-way through the page.

It's not against the rules, if it were we couldn't post PNGs too as they are also compressed.
Yes, pngs do have both compressed and uncompressed options but that compression is non-destructive. Only downside is that it takes longer to save your file.

I didn't say .jpgs themselves are against the rules - compressed shots are and in this case it happened to be .jpgs.

I'm pretty sure that they are the highest quality jpgs and those are just the "thumbnails". If you're really interested in the shot you click it and view the full size uncompressed png in a clean, new tab. That sounds perfect to me. If you on the other hand don't care about it, that 1% difference in quality form the png won't really ruin your experience in this thread.

Yeah, it's not ruining anything for me personally, I just thought I'd point out what's in the rules.

Concerning middle-click browsing - just don't click on the image...don't really see what's all the fuss about.

Pfft, it's not that easy :) A screenshot generally covers the majority of the screen and when you're browsing casually you don't normally aim to the right border of the page.

(and if it's still unclear what technique I'm talking about; it's when you middle click and drag your mouse up or down to scroll, with the circular icon)

srhnjtatkj1.png

I'm against posting huge shots here because I occasionally want tho visit this thread on my mobile but Chrome keeps crashing on my iphon6 half-way through the page.

Yeah, I guess I could see that, but I don't think this thread and it's rules should be adapted to 6 inch experiences. But that's just me! I'm glad I can browse this thread on a S5/LG G4, but it would be the same if I couldn't really.

Parsnip

just don't click on the image...don't really see what's all the fuss about.
It's just the way gaf auto resizes larger images. Normally a user would click on the resized image to make it display in full-size, on the same page. Having a hotlink there is bothersome when you just want to resize to full-size.
Personally I'd just move the hotlink into the name of the game text that you have under the picture.

But that's just me.

NattyDread

Neo Member
It's just the way gaf auto resizes larger images. Normally a user would click on the resized image to make it display in full-size, on the same page. Having a hotlink there is bothersome when you just want to resize to full-size.
Personally I'd just move the hotlink into the name of the game text that you have under the picture.

But that's just me.

Honestly, if the OP doesn't protest - I'm not changing a goddamn thing. :)

Reshade tests for Witcher 2
I suggest disabling the ingame bloom and pump it through ReShade. The vanilla bloom is way overdone IMO.

Here's AC: Syndicate ReShade AO tests if anyone cares. ...using that new SAO method.

That would be the simplest way to do it. Just use FastStone or any other similar program to downsample your screenshots to smaller res (1080, 1440 or whatever), reupload and post them here without those hotlinks.

Since every other who used hotlinks here before were told not to and all stopped doing it, you could do it too.

Honestly, if the OP doesn't protest - I'm not changing a goddamn thing. :)

post-29824-R-Kelly-WTF-WHAT-gif-DAFUQ-Tra-WRJC.gif

Spazznid

The linking is due to Natty's shots all being ridiculously high res and I'm guessing he doesn't want to host downsampled versions on another site\account.

This was my interpretation as well. As I recall Spazz is a Remember Me fan and is probably installing it again as we speak because of Natty's amazing shots.

Precisely.

That pretty much puts all of my RM shots to shame.

One3rd

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, jim. I highly appreciate it. It seems like the 4 byte adresses I end up with never affect the game state when I freeze them + change them to 1, so I gave up. I had hoped I could find it in the game I'm looking at, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case (so far). Maybe I'll give it a couple of tries more.

If searching for menu pause as a 4-byte 0 or 1 you will likely find a very large list of addresses that toggles when the main menu is up. Most of these will be bits of the menu overlay, go into each menu option and scan unchanged to see if that helps bring the list down to something more manageable.

Another method of approaching the pause problem is to try finding the opcode that starts the game engine again after coming out of the main menu and disabling that opcode. This was how I was able to cobble together pause control in Prince Of Persia. If I remember correctly it was a 4-byte value (1=Menu On, 0=-Menu Off) that led me to the opcode. Disabling the opcode and toggling the address value did not remove the Menu HUD but exiting the menu with this opcode disabled did the trick.

What is the game your trying to find this for?

So why hide it behind compression? :/

I don't see the issue with just posting the original screenshot here. 5K or not!

5K for maybe 1 shot per post. And that's still on the edge of reasonable file sizes for thread-load times.

But I just checked one of the original sizes for a shot he posted.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/304/19333837042_10ca3a5eb4_o.png

8192x3456 and 32MB. That would kill the thread :p

To comply with thread rules, he'd have to upload a high quality downsampled version just for the thread, and it's up to him if he thinks it a worthwhile endeavor.

You ARE wrong James. I'm that fucking good, stop it. :p

Oh.... I know. And that shot is so damn good that I want the entire game to look like that.

NattyDread

Neo Member
Oh.... I know. And that shot is so damn good that I want the entire game to look like that.
lol Editing quotes now are we? Now you just want everyone to hate me. edit: ok, either someone is fucking with me or I actually failed to add "not". :)
Really sux that the ReShade depthbuffer works only in capture mode.
nice to see something new from you btw

How about portrait shots? Any rules on them I should know?

22801112647_69969f1e83_o.png

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate || 2160p || ReShade || Panorama (2 shots) ||

Top Bottom