• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inclusivity is meaningless if certain groups are protected from reality, like LGBT or minority shows should never get cancelled because of the fact that they are LGBT positive or feature minority only casts.

And while a show like Sense8 may make trans people feel great about people like themselves being on screen, it is a problem if most people don't want to watch it. End of the day most people watch TV to ESCAPE their lives for 30 minutes or 4 hours or whatever, not to get more depressed or sad or angry or not be able to even understand whats going on screen. There is definitely a way for getting the majority to watch unique and new topics (Orange Is, Will and Grace, Empire, etc figured it out) and obviously there are ways that don't work.

We have way, way, way too many dramas and dark/angry shows on Peak TV right now compared to more light hearted fare, and I think as TV shows re-juggle hopefully we see more comedies and stuff emerge. I can rattle off a dozen current darker shows I'd say are tier-1, but when it comes to comedies it is much harder.

Except Sense8 seemed to be very popular and drew viewers and subscriptions. Which helps business.

I haven't seen it. But it drew way more than other shows that are still around.

I posted it in the previous page but all indications are almost nobody was watching Sense8, it didn't even make the list of top 20 streamed shows from multiple analytics services for 2015 and 2016, and the bottom of the list had under like 400k viewers. Fuller House by contrast, at number one, had over 8m viewers.

berzeli

Banned
I knew 4-5 people who watched it and I'd never seen it. And I watch a SHITLOAD of TV. Meaning it was so popular that people that don't even watch that many shows had seen it.

seems like they could have tried to cut costs.
That's not evidence of its popularity (or lack thereof). It just means it was popular amongst your friends.

The entire point with Sense8 is that it is this globe spanning thing, and filming in that many countries will inevitably end up expensive.

Chitown B

That's not evidence of its popularity (or lack thereof). It just means it was popular amongst your friends.

The entire point with Sense8 is that it is this globe spanning thing, and filming in that many countries will inevitably end up expensive.

then why renew it a year after the first season aired, only to cancel is the instant you release Season 2, without a resolution? Seems like they already knew it cost a lot.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
NBA Finals Game 1 Overnights Trail Previous Cavs-Warriors Series

SportsMediaWatch said:
A snoozer start to the NBA Finals did well for ABC, though not as well as the previous two years.

Thursday's Cavaliers-Warriors NBA Finals Game 1 had a 12.4 overnight rating on ABC, down 5% from last year (13.1) and down 4% from 2015 (12.9), both of which featured the same two teams.

Despite the decline, the 12.4 is the third-highest Game 1 overnight since Nets-Lakers on NBC in 2002 (13.0), behind last year and '15. All three Cavaliers-Warriors finals have opened with at least a 12+ overnight, while no other Game 1 on ABC has exceeded an 11.8 (Heat-Thunder in 2012).

The Warriors' easy win peaked with a 13.9 from 10:15-10:30 PM ET, down 6% from last year's peak of 14.8 from 10:45-11, and down 11% from the 2015 peak of 15.6 from 11:30-11:45.

Game 1 earned a 33.4 rating in Cleveland, down 7% from last year (36.0) and down 19% from 2015 (41.4). It was the market's lowest rating for a Game 1 involving the Cavaliers, falling below the previous mark of 34.3 for Cavaliers-Spurs ten years ago. The game had a 30.9 in the Bay Area, down 6% from last year (32.8) but up 7% from 2015 (28.8).

Columbus, Ohio (17.3, -8%), Memphis (16.3) and Miami-Ft. Lauderdale (15.8, -16%) rounded out the top five.

So people aren't as hyped for the third part of the trilogy as was suspected, but they're still pretty damn hyped.

Cleveland cares less about this Finals than any other Finals featuring the Cavs, probably a hangover from finally winning a championship.

Miami, being the fifth-largest market for the Finals, still apparently has a bunch of LeBron fans (or hatewatchers).

berzeli

Banned
then why renew it a year after the first season aired, only to cancel is the instant you release Season 2, without a resolution? Seems like they already knew it cost a lot.
This is my best guess(es):

They hoped it would create value as a back catalogue title, it would see continued viewing from word of mouth, and/or that it would win awards.

I think it is fair to say none of those things occurred.

Chitown B

This is my best guess(es):

They hoped it would create value as a back catalogue title, it would see continued viewing from word of mouth, and/or that it would win awards.

I think it is fair to say none of those things occurred.

they didn't promote S1 hard enough. I didn't even know what it was about and didn't see almost any ads. I confused it with other shows.

berzeli

Banned
they didn't promote S1 hard enough. I didn't even know what it was about and didn't see almost any ads. I confused it with other shows.

Okay, so are you now with me w/r/t Sense8 not being a huge success? And now we're now moving goalposts to it not being promoted well enough?

I don't know if whether or not it was promoted properly, nor do I know if perfect promotion would help the show since it is fairly niche.

tbh, it's a bit weird that you're this ardent in your defence for a show you haven't seen.

Inclusivity is meaningless if certain groups are protected from reality, like LGBT or minority shows should never get cancelled because of the fact that they are LGBT positive or feature minority only casts.

And while a show like Sense8 may make trans people feel great about people like themselves being on screen, it is a problem if most people don't want to watch it. End of the day most people watch TV to ESCAPE their lives for 30 minutes or 4 hours or whatever, not to get more depressed or sad or angry or not be able to even understand whats going on screen. There is definitely a way for getting the majority to watch unique and new topics (Orange Is, Will and Grace, Empire, etc figured it out) and obviously there are ways that don't work.

We have way, way, way too many dramas and dark/angry shows on Peak TV right now compared to more light hearted fare, and I think as TV shows re-juggle hopefully we see more comedies and stuff emerge. I can rattle off a dozen current darker shows I'd say are tier-1, but when it comes to comedies it is much harder.

I posted it in the previous page but all indications are almost nobody was watching Sense8, it didn't even make the list of top 20 streamed shows from multiple analytics services for 2015 and 2016, and the bottom of the list had under like 400k viewers. Fuller House by contrast, at number one, had over 8m viewers.

I thought shows with minority led casts do well...though I feel some just appeal to the lead actors ethniticity group, comedies seem the same way (ethnic group or even socioecnomic status), while some comedies and light hearted shows are just plain bad, borderline offensive, or just too goofy that one would rather watch something else.

I feel like Drama and Action suspensy stuff is just more interesting to watch, watching epic FBI agents doing counter terrorism and espionage stuff is such an interesting thing to watch after a hard work day, especially with a touch of romance.

Chitown B

Okay, so are you now with me w/r/t Sense8 not being a huge success? And now we're now moving goalposts to it not being promoted well enough?

I don't know if whether or not it was promoted properly, nor do I know if perfect promotion would help the show since it is fairly niche.

tbh, it's a bit weird that you're this ardent in your defence for a show you haven't seen.

i'm not ardent. I've said I have not seen it. I'm saying if they felt they wanted it as a back catalogue program (meaning a few seasons) then they should have promoted it harder - and/or they shouldn't have given it a season 2 if they were just going to cancel it immediately afterwards with barely any time for numbers (or word of mouth)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Sense8 was one of the most uplifting and exuberant shows I have watched, and I say that as a straight white cis male. It had some darker moments for sure, but it was a show that reveled in the joy of being alive and sharing the world with others. It was almost pure escapism.

i'm not ardent. I've said I have not seen it. I'm saying if they felt they wanted it as a back catalogue program (meaning a few seasons) then they should have promoted it harder - and/or they shouldn't have given it a season 2 if they were just going to cancel it immediately afterwards with barely any time for numbers (or word of mouth)

Your argument is definitely coming across weird. "They shouldn't have given it a second season if they were just going to cancel it" is a rather petulant thing to say. They obviously didn't give it a second season with the intent to cancel it immediately. We don't know what went wrong that caused this outcome. The second season came out a full two years after the first, and reportedly ended up doubling the budget. It seems likely something went wrong. And after all that they don't even get that many people watching the show? Of course they're going to cancel it.

It's been a while since I've seen such a reaction for a TV show getting cancelled. Feels like most people took most cancellations in their stride for the last 2-3 years. The last show to get this kind of reaction was Community maybe?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What happened with S1/S2 is that they planned to cancel the show after S1, releasing the cast from their contracts, and then an unexpected bump in viewership happened that caused them to rethink that, rehire the cast at great expense, and then order second 2.

chadskin

Yesterday:
Leah Remini is staying put on CBS’ Kevin Can Wait.

After guest-starring in the comedy’s two-part Season 1 finale last month, Kevin James’ former King of Queens leading lady will be rejoining him on the sitcom this fall as a full-fledged series regular, the network announced on Friday.
http://tvline.com/2017/06/02/kevin-can-wait-season-2-leah-remini-returns-series-regular/

Today:
Erinn Hayes, who portrayed Kevin James’ wife Donna in Season 1 of the CBS sitcom, will not be returning for Season 2, TVLine has learned exclusively.
http://tvline.com/2017/06/02/kevin-can-wait-season-2-leah-remini-returns-series-regular/

lol

King of Queens is back!

Weevilone

NBA Finals Game 1 Overnights Trail Previous Cavs-Warriors Series

So people aren't as hyped for the third part of the trilogy as was suspected, but they're still pretty damn hyped.

Cleveland cares less about this Finals than any other Finals featuring the Cavs, probably a hangover from finally winning a championship.

Miami, being the fifth-largest market for the Finals, still apparently has a bunch of LeBron fans (or hatewatchers).

It seems crazy to me. Game 1 was barely worth a fast-forward, with lots of skipping in the second half.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Haha. Now get Deacon back on board and I might actually watch another episode. Maybe.

Didn't they supposedly hate each other when shooting KoQ though? Weird.
I could seen James hating her back then with all the Scientology bullshit she used to push. That's not a problem now that she's out of that cult.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's been a while since I've seen such a reaction for a TV show getting cancelled. Feels like most people took most cancellations in their stride for the last 2-3 years.

It's because Sense8 is extremely different from anything else on TV, in a variety of ways.

People can take the cancellation of whatever garbage sci-fi cop procedural on Fox or CW YA soap in stride because they know there will be more of them in the years to come. We'll probably never see anything like Sense8 ever again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's because Sense8 is extremely different from anything else on TV, in a variety of ways.

People can take the cancellation of whatever garbage sci-fi cop procedural on Fox or CW YA soap in stride because they know there will be more of them in the years to come. We'll probably never see anything like Sense8 ever again.

Hey! Roswell, The Secret Circle, Star Crossed (or was that one Still Star Crossed?), The Messengers, and The Tomorrow People were all beautifully unique programs that deserved a larger audience.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hahahahaha what?! That's so messed up. I feel bad for Erinn Hayes, always liked her on Children's Hospital.
On the one hand, she's out a nice paying job. On the other hand, she doesn't have to do hacky comedy with Kevin James.

One way or another, she deserves better.

Also, she just confirmed on Twitter. She was let go.

On the one hand, she's out a nice paying job. On the other hand, she doesn't have to do hacky comedy with Kevin James.

One way or another, she deserves better.

Also, she just confirmed on Twitter. She was let go.

That whole thing is just brutal on so many levels. "Sorry Ms. Hayes, we don't need you anymore we got a more popular actress to replace you!"

Bit of a backhand towards Leah Remini too, "sorry we aren't going to pick up your new TV show pilot where you are the lead. Hey, you wanna star with Kevin James again in his show? The first has nothing to do with the second!"

I guess thats TV for ya, even with all this peak TV talk and stuff its interesting to hear about how many pilots are written and never shot, and how many are shot and never get to air. Paul Scheer was talking about he and some others attending ATX in Austin next week and showing and acting out pilots they wrote that never made it to air, and these are decently heavy hitting guys in the industry so if their ideas aren't getting out I wonder how many rejects there are.

Of course then you are left with the mystery of how the fuck did stuff like APB, Star, Chicago Justice, or Doubt get on the air.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That whole thing is just brutal on so many levels. "Sorry Ms. Hayes, we don't need you anymore we got a more popular actress to replace you!"
It's certainly a slap in the face. While no immediate comfort to her, I would just repeat that she's way funnier than a Kevin James sitcom deserves. That "Childrens Lawspital" episode she did (written by Jason Mantzoukas) was fucking hysterical, and my awareness of this Kevin Can Wait show is that it neutered all of her strengths into a boring wife character. So hopefully onward and upward for her.

I guess thats TV for ya, even with all this peak TV talk and stuff its interesting to hear about how many pilots are written and never shot, and how many are shot and never get to air. Paul Scheer was talking about he and some others attending ATX in Austin next week and showing and acting out pilots they wrote that never made it to air, and these are decently heavy hitting guys in the industry so if their ideas aren't getting out I wonder how many rejects there are.
It seems like there's a mismatch between the UCB folks' sensibilities and network priorities. Cable is much friendlier to them, at least for now before some places give up on original comedies.

Pluto

What in the fuck?
Is he just getting divorced and marrying his ex-partner? lol
That's insane..
Nobody said they're going to marry. If I had to guess I'd say the show will be retooled to be a workplace comedy, I expect them to dump the two younger kids next, the oldest daughter and her boyfriend will probably stay mostly because he's an okay character. Everyone else ... meh. The entire show was pretty much forgettable, the final two episodes of the season were the only decent ones so I'm okay with them starting from scratch for season 2, maybe itll work amd if it doesn't nothing of value was lost.

vypek

What? WHAT?! LMAO. As a fan of King of Queens I sort of feel this is incredible and that the two episodes she was in were the best of the series so far but this seems so damn shocking to me. I think the last time I saw a show do a pivot like this was Cougar Town. This is crazy. I'm actually a little more interested though

Haha. Now get Deacon back on board and I might actually watch another episode. Maybe.

Didn't they supposedly hate each other when shooting KoQ though? Weird.

I wonder if thats true. Never heard that.

Nobody said they're going to marry. If I had to guess I'd say the show will be retooled to be a workplace comedy, I expect them to dump the two younger kids next, the oldest daughter and her boyfriend will probably stay mostly because he's an okay character. Everyone else ... meh. The entire show was pretty much forgettable, the final two episodes of the season were the only decent ones so I'm okay with them starting from scratch for season 2, maybe itll work amd if it doesn't nothing of value was lost.

Yep. His friends are all pretty much useless and annoying add-ons. The kids are really bad too since you can go multiple episodes without seeing the two youngest and not even really care. I'd be so amused if they kept getting KoQ alums to show up or something like Jerry Stiller as the weird neighbor or something. But having the two leads back together is already a pretty big phenomenon.

Bit of a backhand towards Leah Remini too, "sorry we aren't going to pick up your new TV show pilot where you are the lead. Hey, you wanna star with Kevin James again in his show? The first has nothing to do with the second!"

What was her pilot? Didn't know she had one.

Sloane

Banned
I could seen James hating her back then with all the Scientology bullshit she used to push. That's not a problem now that she's out of that cult.
I think I remember them talking about it a bit later on and it seemed to be mostly about who got more jokes or something like that, but who knows. Guess they made up.

Pluto

Except Sense8 seemed to be very popular and drew viewers and subscriptions. Which helps business.
What makes you think it drew viewers and subscriptions? Netflix doesn't release numbers but several companies do estimations and Sense8 never even showed up in the list.

What about Barb was produced for NBC, Kevin can wait is a CBS show. CBS had nothing to do with What about Barb not going to series.
It's not a backhanded compliment, she was hired as soon as she became available, that's an actual compliment, it means that a) they liked her performance and b) that she's a name that CBS thinks can help the show. She's probably feeling pretty good right now, pilots not getting picked up happens all the time, an actor from a failed pilot immediately being snatched up for another show doesn't happen nearly as often.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone watching Mary Kills People on, uh, I guess Lifetime? It's a pretty good Canadian series about a doctor who does assisted suicides. It has a Luther-ish quality -- not quite as smart as Luther, more accessible, but there are thematic similarities. The lead is Jaye from Wonderfalls. Many of the US reviews seem to be comparing it to Weeds, which I think is probably not a great comparison.

The thing that struck me watching it is that it doesn't feel Canadian. So many Canadian TV series are... so obviously Canadian. But this one I think was actually produced for international sale. The season is 6 episodes. 100% on RT, 66 (positive) on MC including positive review from Mo Ryan.

Lifetime is streaming it online.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I never really liked their chemistry(or at least how their relationship was written) on King of Queens. It felt like they didn't really like each other.
I mean, it's exactly like King of Queens though. He's the fat clumsy guy and she's the patient wife who yells at him for being stupid but also loves him because he's a good guy inside. lol

-Deimos

Anyone watching Mary Kills People on, uh, I guess Lifetime? It's a pretty good Canadian series about a doctor who does assisted suicides. It has a Luther-ish quality -- not quite as smart as Luther, more accessible, but there are thematic similarities. The lead is Jaye from Wonderfalls. Many of the US reviews seem to be comparing it to Weeds, which I think is probably not a great comparison.

The thing that struck me watching it is that it doesn't feel Canadian. So many Canadian TV series are... so obviously Canadian. But this one I think was actually produced for international sale. The season is 6 episodes. 100% on RT, 66 (positive) on MC including positive review from Mo Ryan.

Caught it when it was airing in Canada a little while ago. Worth a watch for sure.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

"pretty good" doesn't cut it in the era of #PeakTV bro

mreddie

I'm late but damn, that King of Queen redux is insane plus the news Sister Sister might be back, what the fuck is happening?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
New Sister Sister? What?
http://tvline.com/2017/06/04/sister-sister-revival-tia-tamera-mowry-sitcom-reboot/
”We're looking, right now, for a producer and a writer, someone who can kind of be a leader of the pack in regards to running the show," Mowry tells Nylon. ”I thought people would kind of be jumping on it, but it's a lot harder than my sister and I thought it would be.
"We want it to come back but we don't want to do any of the real work."

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sister, Sister was never a huge show. Like the article says, ABC cancelled it for low ratings and then The WB snatched it up cause they didn't have anything at the time. As far as revivals go, surviving on The WB in the mid 90s is the weakest case for current day interest.

Not that it couldn't work...I could see it being whatever is considered a hit on TV Land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom