• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've seen some of the bilge you watch, compared to that Mary Kills People is a Feel Good Hit of the Summer, A Tour De Force, The Citizen Kane of TV, You Won't Wanna Miss It, A Legend Is Born, etc.

Hey, I'm making a lot of strides in that area! Now that the most recent seasons of Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, and Arrow are over, I've decided not to move forward with any them in the future. I've also decided to drop Ray Donovan and probably Ballers as well!

I only wish we actually held ourselves to that standard.

See above! Join me~

(will still watch the final season of The Strain though because fuck it I've made it this far!)

Hey, I'm making a lot of strides in that area! Now that the most recent seasons of Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, and Arrow are over, I've decided not to move forward with any them in the future. I've also decided to drop Ray Donovan and probably Ballers as well!

Similar situation here. Gave up on Arrow and Legends last year and I'm done with Flash and Supergirl this season. I am finally free of the Berlantiverse and shall proceed to criticize it with great aplomb :p

See above! Join me~

(will still watch the final season of The Strain though because fuck it I've made it this far!)

Yeah, I really need to prune what I'm watching as well. This is shaping up to be a pretty bad summer for television to me. Sunday usually has a ton of interesting stuff to watch but once American Gods is done there won't be a good show on the night until Insecure is back.

I actually started messing around on my phone during Twin Peaks last night (so boring) and I literally never do that when I'm watching TV.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Similar situation here. Gave up on Arrow and Legends last year and I'm done with Flash and Supergirl this season. I am finally free of the Berlantiverse and shall proceed to criticize it with great aplomb :p

Man, you choose poorly this season. Arrow and Legends were on top this year.

mjc

How bizarre is it that The Strain was conceptualized as a show, didn't get picked up, made for a kinda decent schlock book series, and came back around to a shit tornado of a show again?

Man, you choose poorly this season. Arrow and Legends were on top this year.

Well, Legends S1 and Arrow S4 redefined the meaning of 'rock bottom' with regards to quality so you can't really blame me for making the decision when I did. Even if it got good later, good by Arrow standards has never been very good at all. Between all four shows I've seen 10 seasons of the Berlanti-DC universe and it's enough to tell how the wheels are always just spinning when it comes to writing. And that's the best case scenario, because otherwise it becomes a trainwreck.

FWIW I gave up on Agents of Shield as well and I didn't watch the last two Netflix-Marvel things so it's possible I'm just fed up of cape shows in general.

Schlep

I was just about to finish out this season of Flash, and watch Arrow and LoT entire season (especially Arrow as I've heard good things). Did all three tank by the end of the season?

morningbus

I was just about to finish out this season of Flash, and watch Arrow and LoT entire season (especially Arrow as I've heard good things). Did all three tank by the end of the season?

No, Arrow and Legends hit a consistent quality this year and barely ever dipped. Both ended strong, too.

I think a lot of people, like the poster above you, are just kinda done with this superhero shit.

I am gonna need to know if a person is still watching Fear the Walking Dead though before I take their claims of dropping low quality shows seriously.

Joni

Well, Legends S1 and Arrow S4 redefined the meaning of 'rock bottom' with regards to quality so you can't really blame me for making the decision when I did.

Your previous definition of rock bottom was The Sopranos or something if you think those are rock bottom?

I am gonna need to know if a person is still watching Fear the Walking Dead though before I take their claims of dropping low quality shows seriously.

FTWD had the opportunity to explore how people reacted at the very start of the zombie apocalypse but it never really did that. It just became another version of the main show. And yes, I stopped watching both.

Your previous definition of rock bottom was The Sopranos or something if you think those are rock bottom?

I'm sorry I hurt your feeling by not liking a show you like.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

When I was finally done with them I was like:

6yE0Uvb.gif

No, Arrow was consistently "good" and LoT was consistent
ly one of the worst written shows in all of television
all season. It's just that neither show was ever very good in the first place - even when they were "good" they were never really good. Arrow, best in its early years when the formula didn't feel so repetitive and the writers weren't as obviously precious about maintaining the tired status quo, ranged from merely fine to flat out bad through its entire run. With LoT, its slapdash, nothingmakesanysenseatallbutwhogivesafuckthisissuperheroes schtick was fun for a few episodes, but it quickly became unbearably grating. Flash unfortunately stopped being a dumb, fun, breezy superhero procedural and became the same "way too many characters and everything is drama" crap that bogged down Arrow in its later seasons.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with watching bad TV - as long as a show entertains you it doesn't matter what its objective quality is
(it's also smart to have a few bad shows in your rotation so as to make the good shows seem even better by comparison)
- it's just that for Arrow, Flash, and LoT, the bad started to outweigh the fun for me.

Schlep

No, Arrow was consistently "good" and LoT was consistent
ly one of the worst written shows in all of television
all season. It's just that neither show was ever very good in the first place - even when they were "good" they were never really good. Arrow, best in its early years when the formula didn't feel so repetitive and the writers weren't as obviously precious about maintaining the tired status quo, ranged from merely fine to flat out bad through its entire run. With LoT, its slapdash, nothingmakesanysenseatallbutwhogivesafuckthisissuperheroes schtick was fun for a few episodes, but it quickly became unbearably grating. Flash unfortunately stopped being a dumb, fun, breezy superhero procedural and became the same "way too many characters and everything is drama" crap that bogged down Arrow in its later seasons.

All pretty spot on. I dropped Arrow after last season, because each season kept getting worse and the last was just horrible schlock. I was willing to give this season a chance, but now I'm not sure.

Regarding The Flash, I had to nope out on keeping up with it weekly after the 20s musical episode and the fact that
the entire season is filler leading up to who is Savitar and how does Barry defeat him
. That one I'll finish just to see the 'dramatic conclusion'.

G0523

I just finished watching The Flash and Arrow for the season a few days ago. Holy crap those two shows switched in quality this season! I was struggling to finish The Flash and the ending was not satisfying. Arrow, on the other hand, had a great season finale and when it ended I just wanted more! I will definitely be back for both shows but The Flash needs to step its game up for season 4. Arrow can keep doing what it's doing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Y'all are talking about watching more quality shows and I'm over here low-key binge watching 'Zoo' lmao

Any predictions for the Gotham 2 hour season finale tonight? I'm thinking nobody really cares and it's:

Gotham - 1.0

Might even be worse with the Stanley Cup and The Bachelorette both airing tonight.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Any guesses on whether #IDUH was a bomb or a success? Viewership will obviously be affected by the fact that the first episode was available early on demand.

I'm going to say that it ended up around 350K - a tad better than the premiere of Roadies, but still a bomb.

Regarding The Flash, I had to nope out on keeping up with it weekly after the 20s musical episode and the fact that
the entire season is filler leading up to who is Savitar and how does Barry defeat him
. That one I'll finish just to see the 'dramatic conclusion'.

Arrow and Flash would benefit massively from the same type of structure that Agents of SHIELD had this season - a trio of smaller, more focused 7-8 episode arcs. Or maybe even make the first 2/3 of the season a monster of the week procedural and then do one overarching storyline in the back 1/3. Anything to get away from the single 22 episode arc format.

You guys say you're done, but you know you'll be watching next season. lol

I 100% will not be back.

Any guesses on whether #IDUH was a bomb or a success? Viewership will obviously be affected by the fact that the first episode was available early on demand.

I'm going to say that it ended up around 350K - a tad better than the premiere of Roadies, but still a bomb.

I'll watch a few more eps, possibly even the full season, but I'm sure it bombed. I'm really interested to see the ratings for it and ep 5 of Twin Peaks.

mreddie

Arrow came back in force because they didn't fuck around with their villain, Legends had the Legion but only 3 guys and felt empty and I dunno if I want to finish Flash at all.

ZeroX03

Banned
Arrow S5 was pure fire. But you're not going to like it if you didn't like Arrow in the past, it's still Arrow at it's best, it hasn't suddenly transformed into Better Call Saul.

So if you're not going to watch it, how will you know what to criticize?

I mean, there's nothing wrong with watching bad TV - as long as a show entertains you it doesn't matter what its objective quality is
(it's also smart to have a few bad shows in your rotation so as to make the good shows seem even better by comparison)
- it's just that for Arrow, Flash, and LoT, the bad started to outweigh the fun for me.

Ah it's tru objectivity hours

This is still the craziest thing in the world.

Kevin

Arrow came back in force because they didn't fuck around with their villain, Legends had the Legion but only 3 guys and felt empty and I dunno if I want to finish Flash at all.

Arrow was much better this season after the really bad seasons 3 and 4 (thought there were a few solid episodes in those otherwise terrible seasons).

Flash was once one of my favorite new shows and I dropped it about 10 episodes in this season. The quality went right to hell which is a weird trend with CW shows in general.

Supergirl was a similar situation as Flash. The first few episodes of season 2 were quite solid and then the budget and the writing crapped out past like episode 5 or 6. Not sure what happened there and I stopped at like episode 10 or so and never looked back.

Legends of Tomorrow however I actually rather enjoy. It's low budget, it's cheesy and the Legion of Doom was very under cooked (the characters they had were good but needed more). Still this show is just a fun romp regardless of how thick it's cheese is.

I'll likely eventually try to watch more of Flash season 3 and Supergirl season 2 but the CW has a nasty habit of lowering the budgets for their shows and I assume that infects the writers room as well as the writing quality takes a massive dive as well. It's weird.

Chitown B

How bizarre is it that The Strain was conceptualized as a show, didn't get picked up, made for a kinda decent schlock book series, and came back around to a shit tornado of a show again?

first two seasons were good. last season lost its way. hope this one wraps it up well

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fast-Demo-2017-Jun-05.MON_.png

I wonder what Gotham will look like next season with its time slot change.

morningbus

If I had to put money down, I imagine Gotham will adjust up later.

Next season is almost guaranteed to be fractional.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Even if you're not a huge hockey fan you really should watch Nashville home games because the crowd is so great. Tune in for game 6 on Sunday, especially if Nashville wins Thursday's game.

#IDUH 167K

Showtime on suicide watch

Where's a bus when they need one?
/niche joke only 167k people will get

Yeah, I saw those numbers and burst out laughing. If I ran the network I'd be seriously considering bumping up the Ray Donovan premiere, since right now they're looking at weeks of airing originals that nobody is watching.

At least Guerrilla only aired for five weeks and had Billions paired with it for four of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom