• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, Shameless is one of the rare Showtime shows that continued to be good past season 1. Sure, some of the earlier seasons may be better then the later ones, but the show is still worth watching.
Shameless peaked in seasons 3 and 4 IMO, however Carl did save seasons 5 and 6. Hoping 7 doesn't disappoint.

I have to start AHS as soon as I have finished Supergirl and TVD. Have only watched the pilot of S1 and it was right up my alley.

1 = Watch
2 = Watch
3 = kill it with fire
4 = eh, not worth the time
5 = Watch
6 = Good first episode so-far

It is an anthology so you can skip, though certain little references here and there you might miss but don't matter.

Aiii

So not worth it
I dropped AHS midway through Season 2, watched the witch one after that because Emma Roberts, wished I hadn't, dropped it again, decided to check this latest episode out because the premise sounded okay and it got great reviews.

It just doesn't click with me.

Also, doesn't help
that there are literally no stakes thanks to the premise. Every main character in "peril" is doing those talking head interviews, meaning they are all fine, safe, and in good health. So why would I feel suspense when they see a ghost or are getting drowned? You already showed me that they are fine.

berzeli

Banned
Bloodline on Netflix will be ending after its upcoming third season.
Disappointing but not unsurprising.

Vulture talks, and speculates a bit about this decision:
Why Bloodline’s Cancellation Hints at a New Phase for Netflix
we do know Netflix has been paying producer Sony Pictures Television a substantial sum of money for the series. As it does with many of its originals, the streaming giant covers the full cost to produce a show, then tacks on a substantial upfront premium ... to make up for the fact the studio can’t sell reruns to another network. The model means a studio such as Sony is guaranteed a profit in advance, but it also results in shows being much more expensive for Netflix compared to what an FX or HBO would pay. In the case of Bloodline, ... Netflix could end up investing in the neighborhood of a quarter-billion dollars on a show which, despite solid reviews and some Emmy nominations, never attracted the sort of buzz that a Stranger Things or Master of None achieved with just one season.

Netflix didn’t just pull the plug on the show without warning: The decision was made far enough in advance for season three to be constructed as a last chapter, assuming that’s what the producers want. ... Thirty-three hours of TV is still a significant accomplishment, particularly for a show which, at its heart, is a non-flashy family drama. Unlike recently canceled shows, like HBO’s Vinyl and FX’s The Bastard Executioner, viewers won’t be left hanging mid-story.

Over the past half-decade, Netflix has embarked on an almost unprecedented programming ramp-up, surging from just a couple of originals shows to literally dozens. There’s no indication the streamer is slowing down its green-lighting of new content, given the sometimes weekly announcements of new projects. But the Bloodline cancellation is the surest sign yet the company has started balancing its big spending with some strategic retreats. ... in recent months, industry insiders have sensed a disturbance in the streaming force. As one studio executive told Vulture last spring, “We’re having conversations now where Netflix is saying, ‘Wow, we really love that show. It feels too expensive.’” Those sorts of talks didn’t happen a year ago, and the move to cut bait with Bloodline indicates execs at the Los Gatos, California–based company have decided not every programming journey can have a happy ending.
Don’t be surprised if a couple other Netflix originals end their runs prematurely over the next six months.
Will be interesting to see if that is going to be the case.
And if it is, can House of Cards be next please?

This seems like weird overanalysis of what is going on. Did people expect that Netflix shows would never get cancelled? It didn't happen 2 years ago because they were still building their original lineup and everything was new, but it was always going to happen at some point.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Will be interesting to see if that is going to be the case.
And if it is, can House of Cards be next please?

It's obviously hard to predict which shows might be ending next since we have no real viewership data to go by, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended Marco Polo, Sense8, and The Get Down sooner rather than later - they're all super expensive, have had a mixed-to-negative critical reception, and barely vocal fanbases.

Also, holy shit @

multiple sources tell Vulture Netflix was paying Sony somewhere between $7 million and $8.5 million per hour — or $70 million to $85 million for a ten-episode season. Spread out over the course of what will now be Bloodline’s 33-episode run, Netflix could end up investing in the neighborhood of a quarter-billion dollars on a show which, despite solid reviews and some Emmy nominations, never attracted the sort of buzz that a Stranger Things or Master of None achieved with just one season.

Like, wow.

higemaru

If House of Cards ends, would it really be premature? From all I've heard, it started getting substantially weaker in Season 3 and no one made any noise about S4. Personally, I could never get into it but it seems about time for that show to wrap up. 5 seasons is a good run.

And as long as they keep Bojack around for as long Waksberg wants it around, I'll be happy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gotta cancel dem shows, Adam Sandler needs to take another vacation.

If House of Cards ends, would it really be premature? From all I've heard, it started getting substantially weaker in Season 3 and no one made any noise about S4. Personally, I could never get into it but it seems about time for that show to wrap up. 5 seasons is a good run.
Considering House of Cards was screaming out to be a three act, three season affair... no.

berzeli

Banned
This seems like weird overanalysis of what is going on. Did people expect that Netflix shows would never get cancelled? It didn't happen 2 years ago because they were still building their original lineup and everything was new, but it was always going to happen at some point.
The article pretty much makes the same point.
I guess I shouldn't have edited this bit out in order to shorten my post:
From 2013 to 2015, Netflix was still in the process of scaling up its originals library, and seemed reluctant to part ways with anything. The main goal was to simply get bigger, to see what kinds of shows clicked with subscribers, and to ensure there was something new arriving every week.
It is using Bloodline as a jumping off point to discuss Netflix in general.
It's obviously hard to predict which shows might be ending next since we have no real viewership data to go by, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended Marco Polo, Sense8, and The Get Down sooner rather than later - they're all super expensive, have had a mixed-to-negative critical reception, and barely vocal fanbases.
Unless they can get down (heh) the costs for The Get Down it is looking like a solid candidate for Netflix's first series to just have on season.
Also, holy shit @
Like, wow.
It's really not that crazy though (in demand actors, location shooting in a state with limited tax breaks, and that they pay premium since it has no shelf life outside of Netflix), it's expensive but not crazy expensive. Especially when you compare it to something like ... oh I don't know let's go with Vinyl. Fucking Vinyl.
If House of Cards ends, would it really be premature?
Fair point. I just got a bit excited at the prospect of that shitshow of a show getting canned.

kevin1025

Banned

And as long as they keep Bojack around for as long Waksberg wants it around, I'll be happy.

This might be long... Sorry in advance.

For Netflix, I think it's that their structure is still fairly new, and with that cancellations of any kind are surprising with how they let lesser known or lesser successful shows like Lilyhammer and Hemlock Grove go on for as long as they did. Bloodline lasting the same amount as those shows is interesting. Bloodline was billed as a five-season show from the very start, but based on its incredibly high price tag, dropping it after three seasons is a good business move for them, and (spoilers)
Ben Mendelsohn's lesser role in the second season breaks the show for me.
A good creative move, that remains to be seen.

For House of Cards specifically, the third season was rough. The fourth season did actually have an upswing in my opinion, it actually tried but never hit that prestige level it wants to, or thinks it is. Going into its next season, I honestly hope it is the last, but I get this feeling that they'll try for one more.

Orange is the New Black, I'm struggling through the most recent season, but I keep hearing the back half is really damn good, so I'll stick with it. The multiple season renewal may hurt it, unless the creators try something new (though this season is going for a race war angle, which is interesting).

Narcos, Marco Polo and Sense8 I still need to watch. Narcos is next, I swear! ... Once the fall season settles.

This is all subjective, of course, not based on facts. I still haven't quite found a Netflix show I think is one of the greats (though maybe Narcos will be that), since their shows lean too much on being a single entity more than episodes (Jessica Jones being the one that did this the most), and so the show as a whole sort of suffers from odd story beats. It's meant to be binged so it's sort of the point, I suppose, and I still find a lot of quality in their stuff.

But yes, keep Bojack. Never let go of Bojack. That show was a little iffy at first but now I love it.

Joni

It's up three-tenths from its season finale and up two-tenths from the season 2.B average, so it's not too bad all things considered.
It did however have a stronger partner for this number which it won't have next time. It is going to selfstart which lead to the low performance in the second part of the season. Also got adjusted down to a 1.5.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It did however have a stronger partner for this number which it won't have next time. It is going to selfstart which lead to the low performance in the second part of the season. Also got adjusted down to a 1.5.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the next Revolution~

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Netflix seems to be finding ways to basically fill out their catalog as much as possible to make up for the fact that the licensing deals for other people's content is so inane. It's why for some reason Doc Martin the TV show is only available in the US, but the Doc Martin prequel movie is only available in Canada.

Of course the originals and comedy specials are the only reason why I stay subscribed after the death of proxies, and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. Depending on the country you live in, Netflix's non-original/licensed content is a wasteland, so it's in their interest to keep pumping out more shows (and Japanese reality shows lol).

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Didn't they already cancel Marco Polo? And House of Cards should really end at Season 5. There is nothing left to do in that show.

TDLink

I don't think Marco Polo has been officially cancelled yet. But I also don't believe they renewed for S3 yet either. I think it could go either way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If Marco Polo season 2 ended on a cliffhanger, then Netflix will surely give it a wrap up special/mini season/another full season at the very least. (this is assuming that it's not been a success for them)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Emmys are this Sunday and I honestly couldn't give a single fuck. Like, I'm not excited or interested at all. I don't even know if I'll watch...

I'll do my usual watch with judicious use of the 30-second skip button. I can usually get through the entire ceremony in ~45 minutes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Emmys are this Sunday and I honestly couldn't give a single fuck. Like, I'm not excited or interested at all. I don't even know if I'll watch...

The only reason I even remembered it was happening was because of all the technical awards last weekend.

I'm probably not going to watch. I will squeal with joy if The Americans wins best drama.

JdFoX187

Banned
If Marco Polo season 2 ended on a cliffhanger, then Netflix will surely give it a wrap up special/mini season/another full season at the very least. (this is assuming that it's not been a success for them)

I thought I've read where Hastings has said it's really helped them penetrate foreign markets. That seems to be where it's getting most of its viewership from, from what scuttlebutt I've read online. It did end on a pretty massive cliffhanger, so I hope it comes back for at least one more season -- even with reports of Benedict Wong wanting to leave.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thursday Night Football was a bomba; NFL to be canceled soon: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-ratings-9-15-2016.html

Fast-Demo-2016-Sep-THU.15.png

Showbuzz Daily said:
CBS: The preliminary 3.8 for THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL was down a big 1.5 from last year’s early number. Now, that rating will go up significantly in finals: last year, the Thursday game went up about +40% from the CBS 8:30-11:00 pm fast national rating to the official national game rating, which included the portion after 11 pm ET, added viewing of the simulcast on NFL Network and adjusted the west coast measurement to include viewing before 8 pm Pacific time. Nevertheless, the final number is going to be significantly below last year’s 7.5, and there will be much debate about whether the much-publicized streaming of the game on Twitter had a major effect, or if football is showing some dents in its helmet.

CW: The series finale of BEAUTY & THE BEAST remained at last week’s 0.2, not even able to match the 0.3 that a rerun of THE FLASH had in the previous hour.

also, Beauty & the Beast is an embarrassment

kevin1025

Banned

It really snuck up. I'll watch since it's yearly tradition, but yeah, there's not much enthusiasm for this year.

I can see it going either way for Best Drama. They will go with the heavy hitter in Game of Thrones, or go for the underdog that is finally making the headlines, with The Americans.

WaffleTaco

Then again, I might watch just to see the if Emmys will embarrass themselves by letting Game of Thrones sweep.
They probably will and kind of deserve this year unlike last year. I know I gave you shit about it, for bailing, but it was really good...let's just hope the GoT actors don't win.

G0523

I don't really take the Emmys that seriously to be honest. They're mostly really boring and the winners are usually pretty predictable.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They probably will and kind of deserve this year unlike last year. I know I gave you shit about it, for bailing, but it was really good...let's just hope the GoT actors don't win.

The first half of the season, which is all I've seen, was a total mess. An embarrassing case of "Oh shit we have a million characters that we introduced early on because this entire venture was poorly planned from the get go so let's just kill off a ton of them off in every episode because that's the main thing people like about our show anyway!!!"

I've heard that the second half/last third of the season picks up considerably, which is cool, but that still doesn't erase the messy first half/first third.

The Americans and Better Call Saul had masterful seasons that were terrific all the way through, and while I wasn't as in love with it as others, I nevertheless thought Mr. Robot made a strong case for itself in its debut season. Any of those three would be a better choice over Game of Thrones.

WaffleTaco

The first half of the season, which is all I've seen, was a total mess. An embarrassing case of "Oh shit we have a million characters that we introduced early on because this entire venture was poorly planned from the get go so let's just kill off a ton of them off in every episode because that's the main thing people like about our show anyway!!!"

I've heard that the second half/last third of the season picks up considerably, which is cool, but that still doesn't erase the messy first half/first third.

The Americans and Better Call Saul had masterful seasons that were terrific all the way through, and while I wasn't as in love with it as others, I nevertheless thought Mr. Robot made a strong case for itself in its debut season. Any of those three would be a better choice over Game of Thrones.
I disagree with you on those choices, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
"I have this great idea for a show about the trials and tribulations of a 70s era rock b-"

Every Network in 2017: "Get the fuck out of my office. Security!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom