• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0523

I liked Kevin Can Wait. It's nice to see him back in another sitcom. His new wife is smoking hot, too.

futuramafry.jpg

This sounds familiar...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watching Kevin Can Wait right now. I'm gonna say lucky to get to next season.

Didn't know MacGyver started this Friday. Can't record on my DVR since there are time conflicts
It feels so much like a King of Queens sequel that I bet it lasts 10 seasons.

Karu

Yeah, but King of Queens was great*. Kevin can Wait pilt was mildly entertaining, but swapping Arthur Spooner for some random kids is sure is huge freaking downgrade,

*in its first five seasons

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, but King of Queens was great*. Kevin can Wait pilt was mildly entertaining, but swapping Arthur Spooner for some random kids is sure is huge freaking downgrade,

*in its first five seasons
I honestly don't remember anything about the show, other than the weird Becker/Raymond crossover thing that turned all the CBS sitcoms into a shared universe. lol

I watched The Good Place, and I don't know what to think. There were things I liked about it, but some of it was just too silly.

I'll continue with it, but may not stay.

vypek

Maybe. I'm skeptical that something like King of Queens can survive for its full run. Not loving any of the characters so far but we'll see how it fares

I honestly don't remember anything about the show, other than the weird Becker/Raymond crossover thing that turned all the CBS sitcoms into a shared universe. lol

Lol that was such a weird thing for them to do. It was especially annoying cause Kevin James didn't always play Doug in the show. There are times when he is a guy who also works in sports and is named Kevin.

I watched The Good Place, and I don't know what to think. There were things I liked about it, but some of it was just too silly.

I'll continue with it, but may not stay.

I feel the same. Parts of it were funny and other parts seemed way too zany and cheesy.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kevin Can Wait premieres ... decently, I suppose?

Last year, Big Bang Theory premiered to a 4.7, so last night's 3.6 is a huge drop. (It had a 3.4 in last season's finale.)

Busty

Banned
Gotham and Lucifer return low

*sharp intake of breath*

I feel like they both can build as the season goes on.

Also Lucifer's extra 'percentage' point in the demo and total number of viewers being higher than Gotham's is impressive given that they build on the early show's numbers.

Patryn

Curious if part of the low numbers is people not realizing that it had returned.

I changed the channel at 9:30 and suddenly saw Lucifer and realized I had totally missed that tonight was the season premiere.

Penguin

Curious if part of the low numbers is people not realizing that it had returned.

I changed the channel at 9:30 and suddenly saw Lucifer and realized I had totally missed that tonight was the season premiere.

I do feel like marketing for return hasn't been as heavy this year, but could just be didn't watch a ton of summer TV

Joni

I do feel like marketing for return hasn't been as heavy this year, but could just be didn't watch a ton of summer TV

I don't know where I read it, but there was one article that suggested FOX's weak summer performance could have a knockdown effect because basically nobody saw their commercials, so less people will watch it.

Penguin

I don't know where I read it, but there was one article that suggested FOX's weak summer performance could have a knockdown effect because basically nobody saw their commercials, so less people will watch it.

Guess the real test will be when Empire returns tomorrow night

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just remembered that we haven't gotten the rumored huge cameo on a show yet have we?

Joni

Just remembered that we haven't gotten the rumored huge cameo on a show yet have we?
What has returned? Big Bang, Gotham and Lucifer?
The other blind item about the cancellation also hasn't been revealed yet which is the bigger mystery for now.

Tapejara

Caught Kevin Can't Wait last night, and like many here I thought it was pretty dull. If the next few episodes don't improve then I can't see it lasting that long.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm reasonably certain "Join or Die with Craig Ferguson" is cancelled.

1. The show was renewed for a second season and this was publicly announced.
2. The final episode of the 1st season ("History's Biggest Douchebag" -- the show is a debate panel show about questions through history) did not air, with no advance warning
3. Since then, Craig Ferguson has not mentioned the show, promoted the show, acknowledged the show, etc. He just did Chelsea on Netflix to promote Celebrity Name Game, but no mention of Join or Die. Nothing in his Twitter bio about it.
4. Social media for the show has been dormant since then, except to say "We're not sure when Join or Die will come back." in four tweets. Nothing on Facebook. And it was very active during the season.
5. Got removed from "Most Popular Shows" on the History website shortly after the season ended

If I had to guess--and this is based on literally nothing except my own idle speculation--I'd say that the final episode got pulled over content issues (maybe because someone living was in the running of the title question?) and Craig quit because of that, because the show uses Craig's name and he EPed and developed it, the network can't replace him as host.

TheOddOne

I'm reasonably certain "Join or Die with Craig Ferguson" is cancelled.

1. The show was renewed for a second season and this was publicly announced.
2. The final episode of the 1st season ("History's Biggest Douchebag" -- the show is a debate panel show about questions through history) did not air, with no advance warning
3. Since then, Craig Ferguson has not mentioned the show, promoted the show, acknowledged the show, etc. He just did Chelsea on Netflix to promote Celebrity Name Game, but no mention of Join or Die. Nothing in his Twitter bio about it.
4. Social media for the show has been dormant since then, except to say "We're not sure when Join or Die will come back." in four tweets. Nothing on Facebook. And it was very active during the season.
5. Got removed from "Most Popular Shows" on the History website shortly after the season ended

If I had to guess--and this is based on literally nothing except my own idle speculation--I'd say that the final episode got pulled over content issues (maybe because someone living was in the running of the title question?) and Craig quit because of that, because the show uses Craig's name and he EPed and developed it, the network can't replace him as host.
Yeah, I've been noticing this too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Update: Uh, yeah, the plot summary for the "History's Biggest Douchebag" episode that got pulled indicates that 5 of the 6 candidates are currently living individuals, one of whom is running for president. So, uh...

Edit: His touring bio was never updated with a reference to the show and his Instagram hasn't mentioned the show since the week the finale was supposed to air but didn't.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Update: Uh, yeah, the plot summary for the "History's Biggest Douchebag" episode that got pulled indicates that 5 of the 6 candidates are currently living individuals, one of whom is running for president. So, uh...

You might be on to something. The "We're not sure..." responses are strange. It's a panel show. They just need Craig and some comedians who want to promote themselves for a second.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NCIS is back. I miss having Vaseline smeared across my screen!!!
Wow they brought back Bud from JAG. And he looks like he aged 50 years. lol

Maybe. I'm skeptical that something like King of Queens can survive for its full run. Not loving any of the characters so far but we'll see how it fares
Yeah, I guess the ABC formula has shown that there's a new type of family sitcom that people like. But then again, that Tim Allen show is on season 8 or whatever so who knows.

Lol that was such a weird thing for them to do. It was especially annoying cause Kevin James didn't always play Doug in the show. There are times when he is a guy who also works in sports and is named Kevin.
I think Raymond appeared on King of Queens as "Ray" but I guess James was just a random guest star. lol
I guess it's funny that all those CBS shows were set in NYC. At this point there are so many shows set in Chicago that you could probably do the same thing nowadays.

Atlanta and Better Things renewed at FX.
No brainer HBO style renewals.
At least it's not Vinyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom