• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 PC Screenshot Thread of No Compromises

OtisInf

Are these compressed or what? I can see the pixels on a few spots..
Hmm, you're right. I think it's caused by Image Composition Editor which I used to construct the panoramas (created from 2K pngs). Will check if I can recreate the pano and with better jpg export settings.

(edit) found it. Image Composition Editor exports at 75% by default. :/ I overlooked that. Will now export at 100% and update the shots. (I normally export as PNG, but this time I exported as jpg, which is of course useless)

(edit) Fixed.

PhilGPT

27828641431_5e6dba9544_o.jpg

27828639901_721f32be51_o.jpg

FireRises

In my humble opinion, it's really really amazing, BUT it has its share of little problems. So not everybody is a big fan of the game like me.

Racing is by far my favorite genre, I've played A LOT of stuff, and Grid Autosport gives the player something that not many racing games managed to achieve: the thrill of racing. Sure, other games may have better graphics and some other fancy stuff, but when it comes to the racing itself, really, no other game from the ones I've played comes even close! I see people saying this about Project Cars, but honestly, it's not even close, really! And it all comes down to the fantastic AI this game has. It's a game that makes you sweat, for real.

It is structured kind of like Project Cars. You don't buy/earn/own cars; you receive offers to race for one of the 8 teams in the game. There are five different classes: touring, endurance, open wheel, tuning and street. In some classes, one team might be good, and in other classes, it might suck, which means that a car from a better team will be faster, specially because if offers more adjustment options. The better you go, the more interest in you the bigger teams will have. Ravenwest is the best team on every class, so when you're in a weak team, it will be impossible to beat them, and even some other guys. This isn't a game that will force or request you to win every damn race. In fact, most of the time you won't, and that's fine!

It offers you the option to do 10 minutes of free practices before every race, and even qualifyings. It won't simply throw you in a track you don't know and expect you to do well like Forza, for example, does.

The game offers a good range of different types of cars, from street cars to LMP1 prototypes and Indycars. It's a return to the old Toca formula, but not as hugely rich as it used to be. But there's enough of content there to last more than a hundred hours like I did.

Gameplay wise, it's kind of awkward. It sits between arcade and simulation. It's more simmey than Grid 1 and 2, but it's still not there as a light sim as (again) Forza. Feels kind of loose, but it's not as bad as Shift 1 and 2, don't worry. You can get used to it, and even if the handling betrays you, you can always hit the rewind button.

Another problem (well, not for me because I use the dash cam anyway) is the lack of detailed interiors. You probably remember that they cut out the internal cameras in Grid 2. People didn't liked, so they brought 'em back to Grid Autosport, but without giving themselves the work of modelling them properly, lol. Oh, and the car liveries usually suck. You can download some amazing mods here.

I see Grid Autosport and Dirt Rally (another FANTASTIC Codemasters game [even better than Grid, IMO) as some kind of tests. They both have very simple menus, you see that there's not a huge amount of money thrown into them. Not super fancy games, it doesn't try to impress you with cheap gimmics, but in my opinion, these two are the best games Codemasters released in the last 10 years.

wow thanks for that detailed write-up. I'm going to grab this since it's on sale - I love motorsports so racing games are naturally some of my favorites. Do you use a controller or wheel? I primarily run linux so this game supports it, but wheel support on linux is pretty bad and/or non-existent. I do have the option to boot into Windows for other racers but if it's playable with a controller I might just keep it for linux.

DD

wow thanks for that detailed write-up. I'm going to grab this since it's on sale - I love motorsports so racing games are naturally some of my favorites. Do you use a controller or wheel? I primarily run linux so this game supports it, but wheel support on linux is pretty bad and/or non-existent. I do have the option to boot into Windows for other racers but if it's playable with a controller I might just keep it for linux.
Wow, reading that again makes it seem I was super excited, lol. And I'm always nervous to write long posts because english is not my everyday language. Anyway, I recently bought a G27, but before that I used to play with an X360 pad just fine.

FireRises

Holy f*ck!

yeah those are some sick shots

Wow, reading that again makes it seem I was super excited, lol. And I'm always nervous to write long posts because english is not my everyday language. Anyway, I recently bought a G27, but before that I used to play with an X360 pad just fine.

thanks! It was well written, don't worry. I'll see how it goes with a controller but if not, I'll just boot into Windows for it.

DD

211500_20160628210754hmurt.jpg

211500_201606282104084uuup.jpg

thanks! It was well written, don't worry. I'll see how it goes with a controller but if not, I'll just boot into Windows for it.

Cool! As I said, it might feel weird at first, but give it a chance and you might fall in love with it. And if you don't enjoy, you can always ask for a refund if you bought it on Steam. :)

Schlorgan

Disney Infinity 2.0 (Guardians of the Galaxy Playset)

SfUb.png

TfUb.png

I wish there were options for resolution outside of your desktop's resolution, but this game plays so much better at 60fps.

RIP Avalanche.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If anyone has Zero Time Dilemma and wanted to share pics seeing some screenshots of that would be cool.

GavinUK86

Just messing around with it. It's isn't bad. Still in beta apparently.

doomx642016-07-0101-5y7knr.jpg

doomx642016-07-0101-5j0j08.jpg

Really like how it looks like. I have 560ti, so for me the game started at 720p, and i like it even better like that. Fits with the retro look they are going for.

You need to play it at 640 x 480.

kanuuna

You're not winning me over :p

The lighting in that shot is fantastic though. I'm guessing cut scene?

Yeah, I find the lighting during gameplay to be really bad for close ups, which is why I usually initiate a conversation with a NPC and place Geralt / Ciri in the frame elsewhere while in that conversation.

Gameplay said:
Cutscenes and conversations said:

The difference is pretty significant. Hopefully Ansel will allow you to set toggle that during gameplay.

Also, if you want to place your own light sources (that cast shadows) in a scene and generally improve immersion, I recommend getting the Meditation UI Change mod. It changes so that you can see the time pass around you as you meditate, and (optionally) has Geralt light up a campfire along with it. It's super good.

OtisInf

EUnc6o.jpg

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Also Blue Stripes tattoo or bust.
Meh on the Sean Connery Coup ;) Long Hair FTW. Nice shot btw.

I like that armor a lot btw, didn't know you could get that. Still walking around in Toussaint in my Ursine armor like I'm wading through a thick layer of snow ;)

Also, if you want to place your own light sources (that cast shadows) in a scene and generally improve immersion, I recommend getting the Meditation UI Change mod. It changes so that you can see the time pass around you as you meditate, and (optionally) has Geralt light up a campfire along with it. It's super good.
Oh that's brilliant. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, I find the lighting during gameplay to be really bad for close ups, which is why I usually initiate a conversation with a NPC and place Geralt / Ciri in the frame elsewhere while in that conversation.

It's because, for some reason, characters don't have self shadowing in the gameplay lighting.

Top Bottom