• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 PC Screenshot Thread of No Compromises

PhilGPT

27747557662_e9d48c3033_o.jpg

Every time I come in this thread and see the beautiful screenshots I get compelled to continue TW3 but then I start it and I remember how terrible the actual gameplay bit of it is. Even with the alternate controls Geralt feels terrible.

Jude

Banned
Every time I come in this thread and see the beautiful screenshots I get compelled to continue TW3 but then I start it and I remember how terrible the actual gameplay bit of it is. Even with the alternate controls Geralt feels terrible.

The combat is what i feel most lacking, they must cut and paste the souls combat to this game.

27232732044_086693d80f_o.jpg

27755309812_60ab1e95b1_o.jpg

Sorry about afterburner, just testing a new card.

The combat is what i feel most lacking, they must cut and paste the souls combat to this game.

I absolutely disagree with that. The souls combat works fine in a souls combat type game, but wouldn't really work in something like The Witcher.

It sucks that some people can't find enjoyment in the gameplay because it's such an amazing game through and through. Especially given that Hearts of Stone has one of the best stories I've ever experienced in an RPG. And the combat never even bothered me. I love it and genuinely looked forward to finding a group of bandits to slaughter with whirl and rend. Sometimes moving Geralt can be a pain, but it never hindered my experience enough to make me not want to keep playing (clearly, given I have 300+ hours in it).

Some screenshots to keep the thread moving:

27248351054_d74e084dbd_o.jpg

27582544290_eeb2786d94_o.jpg

OtisInf

Iris, in better days.

27784189521_9e4b81afbc_o.jpg

Jake, in lesser days

27784191691_44ef8c8909_o.jpg

Using keyboard & mouse indeed will make you want to smash things together pretty quickly, so if you haven't yet, get yourself a controller. It's night and day. An el-cheapo wired xbox360 controller already works wonders.

You can add dpx and then tweak the RGB as you want on the fly, quick example on the same zone as you quoted adding more or less blue to the image
Thanks for that, will look into that shader as the imbalance of the colors is getting on my nerves. One moment everything looks great, next moment you notice things which should be yellow are orange or you see the clouds with hard edges and know things got tweaked the wrong way.

Bloodstained seems to have 2 entirely different art directions going on. One for the character, and one for the levels. It looks like someone pasted an anime character on top of a more realistic looking backdrop in Photoshop.

Other than that, yeah, it looks alright.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Bloodstained demo (internal 5k)

ron-win64-shipping_20eousw.jpg

ron-win64-shipping_207iukd.jpg

Did you do some quirky Durante tricks to get it running at that res, or is there an ini file or something somewhere? I tried making a shortcut with ResX and ResY command arguments but nothing doin.

Code:
"...Bloodstained.exe" -ResX 5120 -ResY 2880

I'd love to try it rendered at the same res.

Edit: Instructions are here!

Ok, so here's how to get the game to run at any arbitrary resolution:

After launching the game once, open explorer and enter the path "%LOCALAPPDATA%\RON\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor".
Open the file "GameUserSettings.ini" with a text editor, and add this to the end of it:
Code:
[/Script/Engine.GameUserSettings]
ResolutionSizeX=2560
ResolutionSizeY=1440
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=2560
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=1440
FullscreenMode=2
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=2
(Obviously, replace 2560x1440 with your target resolution)

Then, start the game, and once in-game alt-tab out of the game and back in again.
Afterwards, you might have to move before anything is rendered, but then it should render at whatever resolution you selected.

My attempt to explain this is that at startup, the game tries to do its own resolution handling rather than use the UE4 machinery (why?), but on restore from alt-tab they forgot to do that and so UE4 does what the user settings file tells it to do. And of course, everything works just fine, because there's really no reason for it not to.

This can be combined with the r.ScreenPercentage downsampling setting if you have the HW to do so.

Bloodstained seems to have 2 entirely different art directions going on. One for the character, and one for the levels. It looks like someone pasted an anime character on top of a more realistic looking backdrop in Photoshop.

Other than that, yeah, it looks alright.

They seem to be going the Archer route.

Also, agreed about the combat in Souls vs. Witcher (though I'm biased since I just think W3 combat is technically more physically accurate and thus better).

DD

how do you like Grid Autosport?

In my humble opinion, it's really really amazing, BUT it has its share of little problems. So not everybody is a big fan of the game like me.

Racing is by far my favorite genre, I've played A LOT of stuff, and Grid Autosport gives the player something that not many racing games managed to achieve: the thrill of racing. Sure, other games may have better graphics and some other fancy stuff, but when it comes to the racing itself, really, no other game from the ones I've played comes even close! I see people saying this about Project Cars, but honestly, it's not even close, really! And it all comes down to the fantastic AI this game has. It's a game that makes you sweat, for real.

It is structured kind of like Project Cars. You don't buy/earn/own cars; you receive offers to race for one of the 8 teams in the game. There are five different classes: touring, endurance, open wheel, tuning and street. In some classes, one team might be good, and in other classes, it might suck, which means that a car from a better team will be faster, specially because if offers more adjustment options. The better you go, the more interest in you the bigger teams will have. Ravenwest is the best team on every class, so when you're in a weak team, it will be impossible to beat them, and even some other guys. This isn't a game that will force or request you to win every damn race. In fact, most of the time you won't, and that's fine!

It offers you the option to do 10 minutes of free practices before every race, and even qualifyings. It won't simply throw you in a track you don't know and expect you to do well like Forza, for example, does.

The game offers a good range of different types of cars, from street cars to LMP1 prototypes and Indycars. It's a return to the old Toca formula, but not as hugely rich as it used to be. But there's enough of content there to last more than a hundred hours like I did.

Gameplay wise, it's kind of awkward. It sits between arcade and simulation. It's more simmey than Grid 1 and 2, but it's still not there as a light sim as (again) Forza. Feels kind of loose, but it's not as bad as Shift 1 and 2, don't worry. You can get used to it, and even if the handling betrays you, you can always hit the rewind button.

Another problem (well, not for me because I use the dash cam anyway) is the lack of detailed interiors. You probably remember that they cut out the internal cameras in Grid 2. People didn't liked, so they brought 'em back to Grid Autosport, but without giving themselves the work of modelling them properly, lol. Oh, and the car liveries usually suck. You can download some amazing mods here.

I see Grid Autosport and Dirt Rally (another FANTASTIC Codemasters game [even better than Grid, IMO) as some kind of tests. They both have very simple menus, you see that there's not a huge amount of money thrown into them. Not super fancy games, it doesn't try to impress you with cheap gimmics, but in my opinion, these two are the best games Codemasters released in the last 10 years.

Pakoe

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7413/27641036660_44730f93b2_o.jpg[img]
(4 shot pano)

[img]https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7070/27842537621_04a93eaa86_o.jpg[img]
(6 shot pano)[/QUOTE]

Are these compressed or what? I can see the pixels on a few spots..

It's still one of the best looking games out there but that's to be expected from Crytek and all the fancy tech they pushed for the game (Tessellation, POM, Global Illumination, Penumbra Shadows etc.)

Top Bottom