• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016, yeah, it did suck, for us folks getting older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liljagare

I know alot of people are ripping because people are complaining about the people complaining about 2016 and it's harvest of RIP. But, it is only the soft opening for people who enjoyed the 70's, 80's and 90's muzak/movie scene,, expect it to get worse, so please bear with us.

But, where are the equivalents of today?? Maybe some young folks can point oldtimers to new enjoyments?

Where is the next Alphaville, Kraftwerk, Roxette, Abba, Europe, Boy George, Wham, Def Leppard, U-96, White Lion, Dire Straits, Gun N Roses, Bon Jovi, Mötley Crew, Def Leppard, Poison, Van Halen, ELO, Duran Duran, Aerosmith, Depecho Mode, Metallica, Ratt, The Cure, Queen, U2, Whitesnake, A-ha, Tears for Fears, The Police, INXS, R.E.M, Judas Priest, Blondie, KISS, Culture Club, Eurythmics, A Flock Of Seagulls, Talking Heads, The Clash, Scorpions, Nirvana, The Cars, Stryper, Pink ´Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Gree day, RadioHead, Nine Inch Nails, Backstreet boys, Guns n' Roses, Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, Foo fighters, U2, The Cranberries, Beastie Boys, Blink-182, Spice Girls, Sonic Youth, NSYNC, Bon Jovi, Candlebox, Kent.

And, just when did house music die?

Lomax

I feel like 20 years ago someone made this exact post on rec.music listing bands from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Where is the next Alphaville, Kraftwerk, Roxette, Abba, Europe, Boy George, Wham, Def Leppard, U-96, White Lion, Dire Straits, Gun N Roses, Bon Jovi, Mötley Crew, Def Leppard, Poison, Van Halen, ELO, Duran Duran, Aerosmith, Depecho Mode, Metallica, Ratt, The Cure, Queen, U2, Whitesnake, A-ha, Tears for Fears, The Police, INXS, R.E.M, Judas Priest, Blondie, KISS, Culture Club, Eurythmics, A Flock Of Seagulls, Talking Heads, The Clash, Scorpions, Nirvana, The Cars, Stryper, Pink ´Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Gree day, RadioHead, Nine Inch Nails, Backstreet boys, Guns n' Roses, Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, Foo fighters, U2, The Cranberries, Beastie Boys, Blink-182, Spice Girls, Sonic Youth, NSYNC, Bon Jovi, Candlebox, Kent.

I found the next Bon Jovi.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
it sucks a lot more for young people who have to live through the inevitable apocalypse

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
it sucks a lot more for young people who have to live through the inevitable apocalypse

Also sucks that we have to listen to old timers complain all the time.

Beaulieu

never heard of depecho mode

LionPride

Banned
Hip-Hop is in a great place right now, more and more movie stars who can act are in place to take up the mantle of their older peers.

2016 sucked becuase a shit ton of talent was lost, talent that can't be replaced, but the world advances. There might not be another Prince again, but his music lived on and there are more artists out there who create wonderful music to listen to.

I know alot of people are ripping because people are complaining about the people complaining about 2016 and it's harvest of RIP. But, it is only the soft opening for people who enjoyed the 70's, 80's and 90's muzak/movie scene,, expect it to get worse, so please bear with us.

But, where are the equivalents of today?? Maybe some young folks can point oldtimers to new enjoyments?

Ive often said these guys are "The Police" of the new generation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-sJp1FfG7Q

entremet

All these groups put together bodies of works over decades. We're looking in hindsight.

There's also a survivorship bias here. Many mediocre groups are not remembered either, so you're filtering the garbage from that era too.

Firstly, I know you probably didn't mean this OP but this sounds like that "Who will replace these icons/legends?" thread from earlier which was a stealth "new music is shit" thread.

The OP sort of feels like a stealth "your nostalgic pop culture icons don't matter as much as mine." thread.

Secondly, the reason I don't like the constant "DAMN 2016", "STOP 2016" and "2016 claims another victim!" responses is because it clogs up the front page of a thread about someone dying with an unsentimental meme that trivializes a person's death as a tally on the wall rather than genuine responses that might have a little more thought put in to them.

Liljagare

Am I the only old timer that feels like music has stagnated? When will we get a new ego like, techno, house, synth, punk, dance, again?

Liljagare

Firstly, I know you probably didn't mean this OP but this sounds like that "Who will replace these icons/legends?" thread from earlier which was a stealth "new music is shit" thread.

The OP sort of feels like a "my pop culture icons are better than yours so it's sadder that they died."

Secondly, the reason I don't like the constant "DAMN 2016", "STOP 2016" and "2016 claims another victim!" responses is because it clogs up the front page of a thread about someone dying with an unsentimental meme that trivializes a person's death as a tally on the wall rather than genuine responses that might have a little more thought put in to them.

So, what are most modern styles that have been borne recently?

Before my generation, we had bungles of different styles being born with each generation, during my generation, we had tons of new styles, but since like 2000? 1990? It is said each generation has its own music, muzak, so,

What is *it* today?

Since almost everything sounds more like a copy rather than a new evolution in sound, and everyone just copies stuff and riffs.

Or, is this generation of, remixes? Where is the new sound, where is our next generation of music?

I'm an old and I feel like there's never been a better time to be a music fan. I have a Google Play Music subscription and I'm constantly finding new stuff to enjoy. Music is easier to make and consume than it has ever been. Sure, bands may not capture the national zeitgeist the way Nirvana, et al. did but that doesn't mean that there isn't great art being made. You've just gotta go looking for it.

The OP sort of feels like a stealth "your nostalgic pop culture icons don't matter as much as mine." thread.

This post kinda took my post. So I'm quoting it to say that I agree.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So literally everyone then?
giphy.gif

cyba89

It must suck to always stick to the old times unable to enjoy or adapt to newer/current pop culture trends.

I really don't get people who say all current popular music is shit when there is so much of it. And thanks to streaming all of them easier to access than ever before.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You don't think people are going to be crying about the death of Lady Gaga, Skrillex, Kanye, etc?

"2046 has claimed another victim :( :(" etc etc

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Complaining all the time is not something reserved to old timers, apparently!

Keep this one in your pockets for when this same dude flips out on future social media over Disney Channel stars dying off all at once.

We complain that the older generation complains too much. The next generation in turn will complain that our generation complains too much. Its a vicious cycle.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Just play Rock Band and relive those groups forever! A lot of those you have listed have tracks in there.

A small quick example (just a small piece of the 70s/80s stuff, plenty of the 90s ones you have listed as well):

i for one wouldn't want another "Radiohead" or "Nirvana", but a band that builds upon them and goes in their own direction..If I want Radiohead, I'll just go listen to them.

Liljagare

So, can anyone name atleast any new music styles that evolved since and became popular sinne the 90's?

Where is today's youths version of punk?

Why did it all stagnate?

We all know the answer, punk is never going to happen again, because now, people get to whine on the internet, instead of using their creativeness to make a new music style.

So, can anyone name atleast any new music styles that evolved since and became popular sinne the 90's?

Why did it all stagnate?

I don't think it's stagnated at all, unless youre only paying attention to top 40 radio, which is a dying medium. Today's youth's version of punk is probably some weirdass shit on soundcloud like witch house or vaporwave or whatever

collige

Banned

Why did it all stagnate?

Even if I were to just limit myself to dance music styles:
Footwork, dubstep, electro house, breakcore, grime, hardstyle, moombahthon, seapunk, witch house, and vaporwave

That's just shit off the top of my head.

Liljagare

Even if I were to just limit myself to dance music styles:
Footwork, dubstep, electro house, breakcore, grime, hardstyle, moombahthon, seapunk, witch house, and vaporwave

That's just shit off the top of my head.

But all that shit is decades old mate?

Toparaman

Banned
If you want to complain that music ain't as good as it used to be, I don't think using Poison, Spice Girls, and Stryper as examples is the way to go about it.

But if you like butt-rock and manufactured pop groups, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. There's a whole hair-metal revival movement in L.A. (e.g. Steel Panther), and there's always going to be radio-pop groups (e.g. Fifth Harmony).

Some of the better artists you listed are never going to be replicated, but that's why they were so good in the first place. You really want to hear a second-rate knock-off of Nirvana or Pink Floyd?

Why did it all stagnate?

The internet democratized music creation and consumption. Music is no longer a movement or a lifestyle, and that's fine, because there are better things to define oneself by then what music you like. You're not going to get huge paradigm-shifting genres like "punk" any more, because genres have become fluid, and musical movements are no longer confined to geographical locations. Go listen to some random stuff on Soundcloud and you'll see what I mean.

We're going to see less and less artists being held up as "gods" or "icons", but that shit was always overblown anyway. Don't need more egomaniacs trashing hotel rooms.

"Art is dead because there aren't enough direct analogs to all this stuff that happened 30 years ago."

If you want Kraftwerk, listen to Kraftwerk. That shit is still bangin' even today. Not sure why we have to obssess and (over)analyze where the "next _______" comes from. Exposure yourself to and consume art that speaks to you, where and whenever it comes from; there isn't a shelf-life on this stuff.

Feel free to direct me to all that pre-2000's vaporwave and dubstep then lol

Just listen to anything by Hall & Oates at 33% speed.

Crixus

The new U2 are Coldplay, not that U2 retired or anything, but now we have U2 1 and U2 2.
The new Oasis is Noel, like always.

SFenton

I don't think new music is shit, far from it, but it is a question I've asked myself.

In terms of rock music- who's the next GnR? The next Hendrix, the next Boston, the next ___________. The big arena sellouts now are electronic artists (and whoo boy their shows are amazing).

Right now I can come up with Muse? Coldplay too, probably. Any other big rock acts that still sell arenas and are still putting out relevant albums/music?

Seems like the trajectory of popular music is going to be electronic focused for a long while. Totally cool with that, but would still love some big rock acts that we'll talk about in thirty years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom