• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2020 Gaming Predictions

While many of you are stranded from your toys. You can use your boredom to imagine a world. A world of 2020 gaming... What will it be? What will it look like?

What are your.. predictions?

Mine:

Gaming will be a monster in 2020, one of the biggest years. Huge sales with new console releases.

FF7 Remake will be one of the biggest sellers ...all year (nostalgia). Wait until it's re-released with the PS5...

Cyberpunk. Same as above but New!

Stadia will become a Google Play 'machine'

PS5 will set records for preorders.

PSVR2 will be much better than any of us can imagine.

Bigger splintering and new terminology to define. We are all gaming more than ever, just in so many different ways.

Someone will gift me gold.

Next gen consoles will set a new record for sales, but will start the splintering of gaming audiences

Stadia will see a re-branding, re-pricing and a resurgence around the launch of the next consoles and will eat a portion of the pie.

With the success of Half-life:Alyx, we will see more and more VR only/ VR enabled games.

Rumours of a new 'steambox' style PC device, aimed specifically at VR backed-up by steam, Epic stores and Gamepass.

Bethesda will announce it is being sold/selling the gaming division to Activision or Microsoft.

Microsoft to purchase Sega or the exclusive rights to all Sega games and have them BC on XOSX for gamepass/gold subscribers only.

Next gen consoles will set a new record for sales, but will start the splintering of gaming audiences

Stadia will see a re-branding, re-pricing and a resurgence around the launch of the next consoles and will eat a portion of the pie.

With the success of Half-life:Alyx, we will see more and more VR only/ VR enabled games.

Rumours of a new 'steambox' style PC device, aimed specifically at VR backed-up by steam, Epic stores and Gamepass.

Bethesda will announce it is being sold/selling the gaming division to Activision or Microsoft.

Microsoft to purchase Sega or the exclusive rights to all Sega games and have them BC on XOSX for gamepass/gold subscribers only.

Good predictions! Bethesda and Microsoft :messenger_anxious:...it's true... Something like this is going to happen.

Hinedorf

Banned
There will be a mass exodus from players leaving Red Dead Online due to continued lack of content. Game never reaches a quarter of the success GTA Online does.

Games aside, 2020 will be the first year for several major Marvel box office disappointments. They'll still be more successful than DC but "success" wont be a description of the majority of hero films in 2020.

Matt_Fox

2020 will be the year of the Next Gen tease...

Even the big name anticipated games like Cyberpunk 2077 and The Last Of Us 2 will be overshadowed by players saying - yes it's good but wait till you see it running on the next gen consoles.

We'll get glimpses, announcements, surprise reveals, screenshots, trailers - the hype will be almost unbearable - and then next November dusty PS4s and Xbox's will be unplugged and unceremoniously put to one side as the PS5 and the Xbox SX take their places under tv sets - and gaming will once again be regenerated like Doctor Who.

Some will be wowed, some will be underwhelmed, and some will hate - in fact polarized reactions online are the one and only thing we can predict with 100% certainty!

There will be a mass exodus from players leaving Red Dead Online due to continued lack of content. Game never reaches a quarter of the success GTA Online does.

Games aside, 2020 will be the first year for several major Marvel box office disappointments. They'll still be more successful than DC but "success" wont be a description of the majority of hero films in 2020.
Both of these are very true. The second one will be more of Captain Marvel. Box office will be good for a not good movie. How many people are re watching Captain Marvel for that great scene?

On gaming- I have given up on figuring out multiplayer or why so much goes into it, just to have the servers shut down?

e32020 still on chaos....nothing changes and gamescom will be successful than e3

elder scroll six mostly a upgraded version of skyrim teaser no changes just updated engine + microtransactions via Mods

Last edited:
It's gonna be a hell of a year with 3A titles and new consoles.
I'm most excited for the full release of Prodeus, Wrath and hopefully Trepang2.

e32020 still on chaos....nothing changes and gamescom will be successful than e3

elder scroll six mostly a upgraded version of skyrim teaser no changes just updated engine + microtransactions via Mods
I was blindly hyped for Bethesda future. Now it will take a lot, even if Starfield looks amazing. The pricing model is what will determine everything.

Derktron

Banned
For me 2020 will be a beginning of a new start because next generation will cover a different aspect of gaming. It would be a good year for all of gaming.

Hold up!! What? Why would they even do that?

Bethesda aren't worth what they used to be. Fallout 4 wasn't received as well as it should have been. Fallout 76 is a train-wreck and car-fire rolled in to one. TES online is not doing great and as well as Skyrim was received, TES games are being butchered little by little. Who has confidence that TES 6 will be groundbreaking in terms of gameplay and not in terms of bugs or price-gouging? Remember, Bethesda released Horse-armour back when DLC was uneasy ground.

Activision could have another MMO-FPS under their belt, or Microsoft could buy Bethesda games, engine and IP's, hire some Bethesda staff and hand the keys over to Obsidian. New Vegas was the best 3D fallout game (the most Fallout-y) out of the bunch.

Birdo

Banned
A new FIFA will release.

A new Call of Duty releases.

Ubisoft release a GAAS game.

The Switch gets some more last-gen ports.

The PS5 releases Q4.

The Xbox Series X releases Q4.

Cyberpunk disappoints, due to unrealistic expectations.

Nintendo release a Game Boy Mini Classic.

The Game Awards happen, but they drop the awards section and just run trailers.

Last edited:
Microsoft announces they are working with HTC to make a VR headset.

Cyberpunk blows away everyone's expectation with the scale of the game...and then announces VR is coming soon.

PSVR2 announces it will be wireless.

Microsoft still comes in 2nd place new console sales wise...but is breathing down Sony's neck forcing them to be more consumer friendly and innovative to keep their lead.

A new FIFA will release.

A new Call of Duty releases.

Ubisoft release a GAAS game.

The Switch gets some more last-gen ports.

The PS5 releases Q4.

The Xbox Series X releases Q4.

Cyberpunk disappoints, due to unrealistic expectations.

Nintendo release a Game Boy Mini Classic.

The Game Awards happen, but they drop the awards section and just run trailers.
Predictions please.. not EXACTLY what is going to happen in 2020 :messenger_winking:

Jad-Just_A_Dale

Neo Member
Mario Land HD Remake. It won't include 2 or 3, but it will include additional characters to play as in subsequent playthroughs. Multiplayer will also be added to the game along with a power-up and terrain shuffle mode. It will cost $60 (about3x more than it should cost) and will be nominated for GOTY.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Cyberpunk 2077 will sell millions of copies
The Last of Us 2 will sell millions of copies and be declared the biggest achievement ever done by Naughty Dog
Next-gen consoles will release with games that are no better looking than current gen games at PC settings
Ray-tracing will see more support
VR games will contain more content as developers dig in their heels to support them
PC will become the main developing platform

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Kojima's next project is Silent Hill.
I liked P.T. as concept but don’t want first person with celebrities as characters in Silent Hill game.

For me, it’s more of wish than prediction:

- Gameplay footage of SMTV and Project Re.

- West release date for Grandblue Fantasy Relink.

- New game from Yoko Taro, I don’t care if it’s new NieR or Drakengard 4 or whole new IP.

- Monolith Soft announce their new game, either Xenoblade 3 or whole new IP.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
PS5 will have record preorders
FF7 will set sales records
Grab Turismo Sport will be announced for PS5
Street Fighter 5 Championship Edition will be announced for PS5
Microsoft buys Sega

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Europeans will buy FIFA
CoD will sell
PKMN upgrade willl sell
I will enjoy (2) games next year tops

Coflash

FFXV devs will release mod tools

Dishonored 3 will be announced

The rights to Deus Ex will be sold to Arkane

ARMA4 will get an announcement + an upgrade that actually allows hardware from 2010+ to be utilised properly

Hitman 3 will be a new game with new mechanics, new features etc instead of rehashing the same old shit again

Baldur's Gate 3 will get a gameplay trailer

Wolfenstein devs all quit and hand the next game to competent developers

Rainbow Six will cease being a super hero shooter for children and will return to its roots (ha!)

Hideo Kojima will put down the crack pipe and create something semi-cohesive again

Ready or Not will release in a state that doesn't resemble early access

Mafia 4 returns to the 40s with Italian gangsters

If even one of these things turns out to be true it will be a great year.

Derktron

Banned
Bethesda aren't worth what they used to be. Fallout 4 wasn't received as well as it should have been. Fallout 76 is a train-wreck and car-fire rolled in to one. TES online is not doing great and as well as Skyrim was received, TES games are being butchered little by little. Who has confidence that TES 6 will be groundbreaking in terms of gameplay and not in terms of bugs or price-gouging? Remember, Bethesda released Horse-armour back when DLC was uneasy ground.

Activision could have another MMO-FPS under their belt, or Microsoft could buy Bethesda games, engine and IP's, hire some Bethesda staff and hand the keys over to Obsidian. New Vegas was the best 3D fallout game (the most Fallout-y) out of the bunch.
I don’t see them being sold to anyone unless they are in dire need to do it. They have major IPs that are worth a lot and I don’t think they’ll be sold yet.

I don’t see them being sold to anyone unless they are in dire need to do it. They have major IPs that are worth a lot and I don’t think they’ll be sold yet.

Maybe not. How many more bombs can they release though? Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Rage 2, TES:eek:nline. If TES 6 is shit, then they in trouble.

Coflash

Maybe not. How many more bombs can they release though? Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Rage 2, TES:eek:nline. If TES 6 is shit, then they in trouble.

I don't think FO4 and TESOnline have been doing too bad financially... at all. FO4 wasn't well received? Like they care with all the money it would have made, it even outsold Skyrim in its launch period.

I also don't think FO76 was a big loss for them, assuming it hasn't already made them a mountain of money. Considering the quality of the game, how devoid of real content it is and how much they recycled from FO4 - it couldn't have cost anywhere near as much as a main title would have.

As for Skyrim, they've sold it on 8 billion different devices and the 2nd revision of paid mods seems to be working well enough for them (enough to justify the continuous updates).

They're probably better off now than they have ever been, I don't see them selling anything. And people will buy TESVI regardless.

down 2 orth

More good games, VR ebbs ever close to the mainstream, Ubisoft begins to cannibalize itself, Microsoft reveals a slightly better console but nobody really cares, more battle royale, more of the same (but it's all good).

Perrott

Gold Member
  • Early in the year Rockstar will announce a new game with a holiday 2020 release window. But it will get delayed to 2021.
  • Japan Studio will show a PS5 game that would be as impressive as the Horizon: Zero Dawn sequel, at least in terms of scale and ambition.
  • It will be a crazy year for superhero games with the release of both Marvel's Avengers, Iron Man VR and a new Batman: Arkham, plus the announcement of Marvel's Spider-Man 2, a new superhero IP by Hangar 13 and a Suicide Squad game from Rocksteady.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Lots of games are going to bomb, with a few finding big success. Too many publishers waited until the 11th hour to release games announced years ago.

The manufacturer who produces the most consoles will win this holiday in the sales charts regardless of games, specs or price.

I would bet my account on both of these things being true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom