• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 Horror Triple Punch: Dead Space, Resident Evil 4 and Alan Wake 2. Which one is your favourite?

Best horror game of 2023?

• Dead Space Remake

Votes: 39 19.5%
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake

Votes: 99 49.5%
  • Alan Wake 2

Votes: 62 31.0%

• Total voters

Sleepwalker

RE4 is just better than Dead Space and Alan Wake 2 .

Dead Space is way more scary as a horror game.

Alan Wake 2 is better writen and the most graphically impressive game so far.

RE4 edges both of them in a balance and is one of the best games around in general.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If we are talking about pure combat and boss fight then RE4R beats them all in my opinion but with that being said both RE4R and Dead Space are remake of already existing game. Alan Wake 2 in other hand, not perfect game but it has so much creativity going on behind its scenarios, which makes very unique take on survival horror game.

EDMIX

RE4 is easily one of the best action games ever made, made even fucking better with the remake.

I tried to go back and play one of the ports.....its a no go lol

Dead Space though is the better Horror title easily. By default it is more of a horror based on lots of design elements as it feels like a mixture of the older REs and RE4.

Alan Wake 2, I'll check it out when a Steam Sale comes, probably in Decem....

angry-black.gif

Barakov

Have no interest in playing AW2. Between DS Remake and the RE4 remake, I have to give it to RE4R. The reason being in how they made it like the original but better. The DS Remake stuck to the original a bit too much. Still I have to give it to them for taking out the turret sections and replacing it with something much more enjoyable.

makaveli60

Dead Space was never my favorite, but I liked it and it’s a very nice remake. RE4 remake was an absolute blast, every minute was awesome, I loved it (despite me being one of the few who didn’t like the original game). But Alan Wake 2 is something else... GOTY for me.

Denton

I like all three.

Scifi action horror is awesome and Dead Space does it well.
RE4R has great gameplay and atmosphere.
Alan Wake has most interesting storytelling and is generally most creative of the three.

My vote goes to Alan but the other two are must play as well.

Alex11

Dead Space, space horror is the best for me.

AW2 is mostly weird, mysterious, but a close second and RE4 has a few tiny segments of horror, it turns to COD in the last quarter.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My subjective and non-scientific score out of 10 :

Dead Space - Game: 9 - Horror 7.5 *

RE4 - Game 8.5 - Horror 6.5

AW2 - Game 6 ? - Horror ? **

* Technical issues not considered
** Disclaimer: Didn't play it much (refunded because it feels too on-rails to me)

Last edited:
Gameplay, voice acting, music. The voice acting in RE4 remake is some of the worst I've ever heard in my life in any format of entertainment.
Not to mention the bizarre near-constant grunting and pain sounds when raising a gun, shuffling to thebsude one step, opening a door, anything.

I also still can't wrap my head around Capcom kneecapping the game feel wholesale for the sake of a contrived feeling of "struggle". It doesn't make it more Survival, it just makes Leon feel like a 60 year old smoker wading through mud at all times. They can't do R stick aiming worth a shit either, it feels wack no matter what settings I try.

OG with HD texture pack is where its at for me.

Certinty

Resident Evil 4 was surprisingly great but I couldn't help but feel it was still somewhat dated in a fair few areas. Maybe that was the point though, I don't know.

I thought Alan Wake 2 was amazing, the way the story was told and the atmosphere was something else. Just a shame the combat was so incredibly basic. But overall would still say I had a better time with that than RE4.

Haven't played the Dead Space remake yet but I'll give it a go.

Elysium44

Banned
Not to mention the bizarre near-constant grunting and pain sounds when raising a gun, shuffling to thebsude one step, opening a door, anything.

I also still can't wrap my head around Capcom kneecapping the game feel wholesale for the sake of a contrived feeling of "struggle". It doesn't make it more Survival, it just makes Leon feel like a 60 year old smoker wading through mud at all times. They can't do R stick aiming worth a shit either, it feels wack no matter what settings I try.

OG with HD texture pack is where its at for me.

I got it on PC recently now it's heavily discounted, I didn't like the demo but I thought maybe I was wrong and I will like the full game. I forced myself to complete it but it was worse than I even imagined. The voice acting of Ada, Leon, Ashley (who keeps loudly panting), Luis, Krauser, the merchant (who never shuts up and keeps repeating the same lame unfunny lines) - it's incredibly bad. They sound timid and apologetic about everything, and even regularly emphasise the wrong words in a sentence, which suggests they don't understand the context of the lines they are reading, it's really basic stuff but they get it badly wrong. After I beat it I deleted it and good riddance. Even Village which I don't much like is better than this. The gameplay is a complete chore.

I am going to play RE4 OG again (with the excellent HD project mod) to wash this bad experience out of my memory.

GymWolf

I liked dead space a bit more than re4r but they are both great.

Haven't played aw2, there is just so much sam lake wackiness that i can enjoy, especially if the game is mostly a walking simulator with some fights here and there and not like control, and i didn't cared for aw1.

Re4 is probably the less scary of the bunch.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Re4 is not a horror game, its an action game. Anyone who was scared playing that is a pussy.

Alan Wake 2 is the scariest of the bunch thanks to the GOAT atmosphere in gaming

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Alan Wake 2 by a light year.

Dead Space remake was amazing no doubt, they knocked it out of the park. RE4R is awesome too, but it isn't scary at all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My subjective and non-scientific score out of 10 :

Dead Space - Game: 9 - Horror 7.5 *

RE4 - Game 8.5 - Horror 6.5

AW2 - Game 6 ? - Horror ? **

* Technical issues not considered
** Disclaimer: Didn't play it much (refunded because it feels too on-rails to me)
The only horror in AW2 is bugs and angry grandma screen flashing every 30 seconds with loud noises like if it was a nun 3 movie.

Top Bottom