• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 year old gamer sentenced to 1 year and a day in prison for swatting

whitehawk

Banned
He should do more. Swatting is extremely dangerous. The person being swatted could mistaken it as a home invasion and attempot to defend themselves which would likely result in them getting killed

only 1 year? there should be a heavier penalty for this crap.

1 year is not enough. He deserves a longer sentence and his faced smashed in.
1 year is plenty, if we are talking about reintroducing him into society and not just punishing him because we want to. Putting him in for say 5 years will do no one any good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
News media loves this stuff because non-gamer professionals can reach into their knowledge bag and start copying and pasting psychology with video games.

I think the punishment is good, 1 year, 6-8 months for good behavior. It's quite idiotic. Even when he's that young, he shouldn't have thought about making such a ridiculous group.

Everything he does that associates himself with another person is under some form of Terms of Service or affiliated with a company. Anarchist sorta went out when guys were printing off the cookbook in high school. I didn't necessarily see that sort of behavior as being beneficial.

By 2015 the world should know not to generalize or stereotype something, but we still have people seeing video games as some taboo for a select amount of people. E3 and all the award ceremonies get neglected by the media because some kid does something stupid.

myca77

1 year is plenty, if we are talking about reintroducing him into society and not just punishing him because we want to. Putting him in for say 5 years will do no one any good.

I think I'd like to see anyone found guilty of this to serve what the courts think is best, but also be fined the amount it would cost for a SWAT team to be sent out, and pay for whatever damages (physical and/or emotional) the victim has suffered.

PreFire

The reason people are saying more than 1 year is because this won't stop other (jerkoffs) people from doing it in the future. Wtf is 1 year with good time? 7 months?

Swatting isn't taken as seriously as it should be. Yea, this kid probably caught his first charge and most likely will learn his lesson.. But 1 year for the crime in question, is a joke.

These people need an example made out of them until this shit stops. That's the whole point. If the punishment isn't "scary" then who the fuck is going to stop?

1 year lol.. The fucking guy was part of a group that does this. Just because he snitched he gets 1 year

Wait, where does it say he swatted Sandy Hook?

The affidavit cites the case of Matthew Tollis, of Wethersfield, Connecticut, who is accused of taking part in seven swatting calls. Tollis was allegedly part of a group that threatened to bomb the University of Connecticut, attack the home of an individual in Connecticut, create false threats to school across the country, and in one ghoulish call told police that a man with an assault rifle was headed to the new Sandy Hook Elementary School, the scene of a notorious massacre of staff and first graders.

He also told investigator he knew about a host of others that the group allegedly perpetrated, including the call regarding Sandy Hook Elementary School, the document states.

He didnt' do it. His group did though and he knew about it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-swat-prank-ring-allegedly-composed-box-gamers/story?id=25436074

Culex

Banned
He's officially a prison felon now, so his life is pretty much over, regardless of the sentence.

Hope it was worth it.

I would say that 1 year is enough instead of plenty. He was involved in at least 4 swatting incidents, so that'd make a 3 month sentence each.

Sakura

A year in jail should hopefully knock some sense in him and teach him a lesson. Don't understand why people do this shit.

'TeAM CrucifiX or Die' is a terrible name. Crucifix isn't even a verb.

Isn't swatting basically attempted murder? 1 year seems low.
I don't know about that but it definitely creates a very dangerous situation not to mention is a gross misuse of police resources.

PreFire

He's officially a prison felon now, so his life is pretty much over, regardless of the sentence.

Hope it was worth it.

Lmao

You know records can be expunged, right? He will have a hard time, but his life is far from over. He got a 1 year sentence. felony or not, The short sentence doesn't seem like he was charged with a violent crime (which he should have) and that makes it easier to expunge from your records. Which means this little prick could be a customer support representative for your ISP/Whatever when he's 23 years old.

A friend of mine is a NYC bus driver and he's had multiple A1 felonies (non violent) expunged from his record. A New York fucking City transit public bus driver. I mean, the benefits from that job alone are insanely good. So yeah, a felony doesn't mean his life is over.

He can always be a Youtube streamer and live off ad revenue.
And hope he doesn't get swatted

Has anyone gotten injured in these swatting cases?
I first heard of them earlier this year IIRC. I wonder if these will keep happening and if there will be a case where this ends in death.

Bubba77

My sister went to st john vianny high school. Glad to see people doing stuff like this get punished. Only serious consequences deter stuff like this. Im always in favor of banning computer/internet usage for at least a year for a first offense. I think the threat of losing electronics as a strike one would be a good start. Jailtime for multiple offenses is warranted.

Good that this is happening. But why the extra day? Just seems to weird to me.

The year and a day rule has been a common length of time for establishing differences in legal status.

The phrase "year and a day rule" is associated with the former common law standard that death could not be legally attributed to acts or omissions that occurred more than a year and a day before the death.

It is elsewhere associated with the minimum sentence for a crime to count as a felony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_and_a_day_rule

Is it even possible to ban someone from the Internet?

Yes, there's been cases where it was ruled that someone couldn't use the internet again. It requires supervision though.

Hope it was worth it.

It is worth it. Fuckboy can't swat anyone from jail.

1 year is very lenient for what is criminal mischief.

Edit: His life isn't over. Hes only losing 1 year.

mrlion

lol people thinking one year is "too low".

You guys don't know what's even like to be even in a jail cell. Putting someone away longer is not going to do us any good. One year will get the message across his head. Not to mention he has 3 years probation and 300 hours of community service to do.

whitehawk

Banned
The reason people are saying more than 1 year is because this won't stop other (jerkoffs) people from doing it in the future. Wtf is 1 year with good time? 7 months?

Swatting isn't taken as seriously as it should be. Yea, this kid probably caught his first charge and most likely will learn his lesson.. But 1 year for the crime in question, is a joke.

These people need an example made out of them until this shit stops. That's the whole point. If the punishment isn't "scary" then who the fuck is going to stop?

1 year lol.. The fucking guy was part of a group that does this. Just because he snitched he gets 1 year
That's fair. I agree that 1 year isn't enough of a punishment, but it's long enough that this kid will learn his lesson and never do it again.

I don't agree with "making an example" sentences though. You're basically saying "Yes, this punishment doesn't fit the crime, but you are the unlucky one that needs to be made an example of". The punishment should be long enough to deter others, but not so long that someone has to suffer longer because of it.

I would say that 1 year is enough instead of plenty. He was involved in at least 4 swatting incidents, so that'd make a 3 month sentence each.
Agreed.

Top Bottom