• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

Looks like Dark Souls with realistic animals(in terms of their actions), which is good. The animal interactions alone are selling me on it.

Prehistoric Souls + Coop = Win in the West. I think this will do well. It will also help tide me over until Froms next game.

Be very, very careful of thinking this. MH is absolutely nothing like Souls outside of its approach to animation priority.

-Your character needs constant upkeep to maintain his/her max stamina, max weapon sharpness, and body temperature (in extreme climates).

-Fights have time limits and are typically 1v1s with few fodder enemies.

-There's no experience point/leveling system. If you're fighting a monster that won't give you the upgrade materials you need, you're either just playing for fun or wasting your time.

-Upgrades are much tougher to achieve than in Souls, and typically involve grinding one or two specific monsters for materials, some of which have very low drop rates. Early game, when fights take 10 minutes each, this isn't a big issue. Once you start fighting creatures with higher stats, however, it can become a very lengthy and difficult grind.

There is stuff in this franchise for Souls fans, mainly the feeling of overcoming a stiff challenge, but that challenge comes with far more rules and restrictions than they might be used to.

13ruce

Banned
Kinda hope they get rid of the time limit adds nothing to the game imo.

If i want to fight a monster for hours just let me.

How does the wapon switching work? Do you have to go back to camp? What if you're switching to bowgun? Do you have access to your item box to take out ammo? What else do you get access to? Do you have access to your stacks of 99 honeys and potions?

Thats really my only concern from what we've seen.

It was confirmed by Capcom community managers during E3 that you cannot restock items (potions, etc) at the base camp. Good point about ammo though; not sure how that will be handled.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Good lord, the running animation needs work.

Edit: and no blood looks really weird.

lyrick

Kinda hope they get rid of the time limit adds nothing to the game imo.

If i want to fight a monster for hours just let me.

The Free Hunt before and after Quests sounds right up your alley, unless Monsters can escape like they did in the previous games version of free hunt. Not being able to accomplish an objective in a set period of time does add an element to the game, and provides a useful hurdle during the actual quest structure.

Kinsei

Banned
It was confirmed by Capcom community managers during E3 that you cannot restock items (potions, etc) at the base camp. Good point about ammo though; not sure how that will be handled.

We already have a gunner pouch. We probably just have to make sure it's full before leaving on a quest if we plan on switching to a bowgun.

Mupod

if Souls fans want to know if they'll like Monster Hunter, go fight Kalameet with a Dragon Tooth and no lock-on. Also do a 'well, what is it' gesture every time you Estus.

if Souls fans want to know if they'll like Monster Hunter, go fight Kalameet with a Dragon Tooth and no lock-on. Also do a 'well, what is it' gesture every time you Estus.
That's a bad example of that will only give new players unrealistic anxiety about Monster hunters difficulty. I still haven't killed Kalameet and yet I've finished multiple Monster Hunter single player modes. Most Monster Hunter enemies are easier than even the easiest Dark Souls boss. I'd put most on about the same level as fighting a single Cathedral Gargoyle.

That's a bad example of that will only give new players unrealistic anxiety about Monster hunters difficulty. I still haven't killed Kalameet and yet I've finished multiple Monster Hunter single player modes. Most Monster Hunter enemies are easier than even the easiest Dark Souls boss. I'd put most on about the same level as fighting a single Cathedral Gargoyle.

While I agree that Kalameet is a bad example, I think your comparison is a bad example in the opposite direction.

The DROMES maybe are cathedral gargoyle level.

But I find the Souls comparison to be useless for this game in any case.

Hastati

Reading along and the Kalameet example almost scared me away from this franchise for good lol.

How typical are 1HKO's in MH? Really want to get into it, but I kinda have shit coordination.

Kinsei

Banned
Reading along and the Kalameet example almost scared me away from this franchise for good lol.

How typical are 1HKO's in MH? Really want to get into it, but I kinda have shit coordination.

They are generally reserved for the end game super bosses and special event quests with monsters buffed to an insane degree.

If you're at full health and you're wearing armor that is appropriate for the quest you're on, I don't think you'll ever see a 1HKO.

Beyond that, attacks that will get CLOSE to 1HKOing you will also have the biggest tells.

They are generally reserved for the end game super bosses and special event quests with monsters buffed to an insane degree.

This too.

lyrick

Very low in lower ranked quests, but depending on your equipped gear skills, food prep, elemental weaknesses and items buffs it can become more common as you progress through the game.

TreIII

You shouldn't have to worry about 1HKOs until the endgame content, more than likely.

Otherwise, if you're getting killed that easily to other monsters along the way, that means you may need to upgrade your equipment, use the right equipment (re: fire resistant to fight against fiery monsters) or something along those lines. The game usually does a good job of conveying what you may need, and the community can fill in the rest.

Playsage

I don't know how much they further nerfed
(or fixed the hitboxes of)
the monsters post-Unite, but I wouldn't back this statement in a million years

Mupod

I also forgot to specify to do it midroll only.

cmon GAF why you always gotta take silly posts at face value.

anyways the main transferable Souls series skills to MH are patience, observation, and knowing when to not be greedy. Stamina management and learning your weapon moveset to some degree. If you get into solo g-rank and other endgame stuff MH can be a much harder and more merciless game, but I actually think it consistently feels more 'fair' than Souls. One hit KOs or wombo-combos can happen but are super rare and usually feel like 100% your own dumb fault.

orioto

Good Art™
that giant lizard was all

biDFHU0.gif

after he ate the dino

I've platinumed every Souls game + Bloodborne and Nioh, and I'd put high rank in any MH above all of them in terms of raw difficulty. The only things that come close are the Defiled Chalice Dungeon in BB and some missions on Way of the Demon in Nioh.

MH's difficulty is way more soul crushing than anything in those games because of how much you can lose from losing and how little you can win from winning. In Souls, you're always at least getting experience points from everything you kill. In MH, you can spend hours grinding a difficult monster for gear (and often must, if you want to have appropriate gear for the next tough fight) and get nothing worthwhile out of it. Nothing sucks more than scoring that hard-earned kill, only to find that the monster didn't drop what you needed and you have to immdiately do it over.

You want a real sick comparison? Take Mupod's Kalameet scenario, quadruple Kalameet's HP, reduce your stamina and weapon damage by 20% every ten minutes (use a repair powder or green blossom to restore it). Sound good? Now imagine you're grinding him for an item that is only slightly more common than Pure Bladestone was in Demon's Souls (if you're looking for a dragon gem, a type of frequent late game upgrade material) and you're about halfway to experiencing mid/late game MH.

wiibomb

the example given is bad.

But your explanation is plain worse.

Dark souls bosses are quicker and do enough damage to outright kill the player, while MH has a more methodical fight, in Dark Souls bosses are just one single part of the experience and it is meant to be finished in a couple of minutes, while in Monster Hunter you need a lo more of time and preparation to deal with just one monster, in Dark souls you just go with whatever you have equipped and it works, if you do that in Monster Hunter, you are either dead or will just lose a hell more of time trying to take down the monster.

Oh and Dark Soul bosses on co-op are less-than-a-minute easy, but then again, these bosses aren't a good comparison.

Parshias7

Dark souls bosses are quicker and do enough damage to outright kill the player, while MH has a more methodical fight, in Dark Souls bosses are just one single part of the experience and it is meant to be finished in a couple of minutes, while in Monster Hunter you need a lo more of time and preparation to deal with just one monster, in Dark souls you just go with whatever you have equipped and it works, if you do that in Monster Hunter, you are either dead or will just lose a hell more of time trying to take down the monster.

You really can't say Dark Souls bosses are more damaging with that avatar.

Peak endgame Monster Hunter will fuck you up harder than any Soulsborne.

wiibomb

You really can't say Dark Souls bosses are more damaging with that avatar.

Peak endgame Monster Hunter will fuck you up harder than any Soulsborne.

yeah... kind of...

I mean, sure if you go against a rajang with early game gear you will be fucked over, but if you go with a more advanced gear and well upgraded, rajang won't do more than a quarter of health damage, as I said, these fights need preparations, in Dark Souls the preparation won't save you from a damage half your health in a single hit, another thing why I think the souls isn't a good comparison.

yeah... kind of...

I mean, sure if you go against a rajang with early game gear you will be fucked over, but if you go with a more advanced gear and well upgraded, rajang won't do more than a quarter of health damage, as I said, these fights need preparations, in Dark Souls the preparation won't save you from a damage half your health in a single hit, another thing why I think the souls isn't a good comparison.

Nnnnooo, I'm pretty sure G rank Rajang can do 60-90% of your hp in one attack (depending on which attack), even if you have G rank armor.

A lot of people disagreeing with me, but I've had way more trouble playing Dark Souls than I've had with Monster Hunter. I'm not talking about G rank or High Rank stuff here, but when doing Village Quests I've barely died whilst playing compared to the X amount of deaths in DS. Only monster I had a problem with in MH4 Village was Gore Magala, and even then I went on to one shot Shaggy Mag. In Dark Souls I've died to single Gargoyles in Anor Londo xD

AALLx

I hope they would drop the charms and RNG sets in MHW, and just stick with good old jewels. I never liked the end-game grind in MHX, and felt that charms were over-complications for over-complications' sake.

wiibomb

Nnnnooo, I'm pretty sure G rank Rajang can do 60-90% of your hp in one attack (depending on which attack), even if you have G rank armor.

G-rank rajang? only with the mouth charged attack or a pretty heavy attack, most of the time with a well upgraded G-rank armor it will do a normal hit. Apex Rajang? yes, yes very much on a lot of hits. But that isn't fair, that is an endgame boss after going through 90% of the game.

Kyoufu

A lot of people disagreeing with me, but I've had way more trouble playing Dark Souls than I've had with Monster Hunter. I'm not talking about G rank or High Rank stuff here, but when doing Village Quests I've barely died whilst playing compared to the X amount of deaths in DS. Only monster I had a problem with in MH4 Village was Gore Magala, and even then I went on to one shot Shaggy Mag. In Dark Souls I've died to single Gargoyles in Anor Londo xD

Village quests are bottom of the barrel content in MH and can be completed with eyes closed. They're not designed to be challenging. Weird comparison tbh.

Kinsei

Banned

Just comparing village stuff to an entire game is pretty disingenuous. Low rank village Shagaru is basically the equivalent of Quelaag.

Mupod

I hope they would drop the charms and RNG sets in MHW, and just stick with good old jewels. I never liked the end-game grind in MHX, and felt that charms were over-complications for over-complications' sake.

agreed, fuck charms. Worst thing added to MH even as someone who loves experimenting with armor sets. If I want a specific setup I should be able to work for it and get it eventually.

the example given is bad.

But your explanations is plain worse.

Oh and Dark Soul bosses on co-op are less-than-a-minute easy, but then again, these bosses aren't a good comparison.

yeah, for example I used to solo g-rank Black Diablos in MHFU with a hammer because I was a masochist. Even though it moved like lightning and hit like a train with horns, I wasn't in a whole lot of danger of being instakilled if I was careful. But if I took too many hits I'd run out of supplies...or worse, time. I could kill the thing in 25-30 minutes on a good run. Bad run I might have to abandon and get nothing.

I found most Souls games easy but Bloodborne gave me a lot of trouble. I felt like it was the lame, unfair kind of hard in deep chalice dungeon stuff. Getting instakilled in a combo by Bloodletting Beast is lame and made me want to stop playing. Golden Rajang was a huge wall for me in MHFU and it wasn't until 4U that I got to the point where I could fight it comfortably, it took a lot of practice but I didn't feel frustrated by it. Just inspired to get better.

Also I've been straight up one shotted by Apex Rajang but I was in gunner stuff. Still hurts as a blademaster.

Just comparing village stuff to an entire game is pretty disingenuous. Low rank village Shagaru is basically the equivalent of Quelaag.

I don't know why. I really couldn't give you an objective reason why.

But in my heart I feel like this comparison is 100% accurate, lol.

wiibomb

dark souls has death integrated in its mechanic, the game actively tries to kill you to make you learn, in MH death is a real penalty that makes you feel bad and penalizes you with all the time you spent lost, because you lose the whole quest after 3 deaths, in MH you lose a 15 minute fight because of it, in DS there are mechanics in place to avoid making you lose all the time (bonfires, shortcuts, unique enemies, etc.), it's natural you die a lot more in DS since death is part of the game.

Hastati

Thank you to all for the information about 1HKOs. Sounds like there's at least some room for slip ups as long as you come prepared.

silva1991

Haha, almost accurate.

Also medium dodge roll because it's iframes is closer to MH's

Raide

I think that's because in Dark Souls, even basic enemies can hit like trucks. Plus they set things out to punish players if they try and rush past. MH has annoying little buggers that bash and nudge you but nothing hurts...well... emotionally it does.

Similar to Dark Souls, MH rewards players by gearing up, learning patterns and picking your fights. In some cases, MH monsters can do massive damage if you play dumb/super unlucky with status effects etc.

Top Bottom