• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

260k ps2 sold in may guess the others

yonoid

Banned
June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., which is battling Microsoft Corp. in the $8 billion market for video-game machines, regained the top spot in North America after it cut the price of its PlayStation 2 in May, an analyst wrote.

Sony probably sold 260,000 PlayStation 2 machines in May, or 47 percent of all game-machine sales, after cutting the price to $249 from $179, analyst P.J. McNealy at American Technology Research in San Francisco wrote in a report. PS2 was the top game machine in North America, said Sony Executive Vice President Jack Tretton, citing information from retailers.

Microsoft led in April for the first time since shipping its Xbox machine in November 2001, after beating Sony to a price cut. Xbox, which came out a year after the PS2 and has sold 15.4 million units worldwide, still trails the PS2's 70 million, according to McNealy and data from Sony. Sony won't cut prices again this year, Tretton said.

`` A lot of people will be looking for price cuts down the road,'' Tretton said. ``As long as they get on board by the end of the day, I'm happy,'' he said, referring to gamers who may buy the machine in years to come. A price cut by Microsoft to $129 or less won't compel Sony to cut again this year, he said.

Sony wants to maintain its price to avoid making another version of the PS2, one that connects to the Internet, seem much more expensive, thereby limiting its sales, McNealy said.

Online Gamers

``Sony's main goal is to get more online gamers,'' said McNealy. Sony in May lowered the price on a version of the PS2 with network connections to $149 as well. About 70 percent of PS2 sold since the price cut were the networked version, said Tretton, compared with 30 percent before the cut.

Sony is selling 150,000 units of PS2 a week since it made the price cut, Tretton said.

Shares of Sony's American depository receipts fell $1.33 to $35.93 at 3:57 p.m. New York time in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They had risen 7.5 percent this year. Shares of Microsoft rose 9 cents to $26.85 in Nasdaq Stock Market composite trading and had fallen 2.2 percent this year.

GhaleonEB

Firest0rm said:
"after cutting the price to $249 from $179"

lol!

Yeah, that's one mother of a typo.

PS2: 47%
XBox: 38%
GCN: 15%

These numbers don't quite square, though. 150k per week after the drop, so they should have sold over 300k at the least in May. Hmmm....NPD needs to come to the rescue.

yonoid said:
260k what sold in last year

seems a bit low
Code:
                           PS2            Xbox          GC               GBA
May                    288,127         123,614      84,408           402,662

yonoid said:
how you know xbox is this number and cube/?
Well, "guess the others" was part of the thread title; I presume that's just his guess.

EDIT: No code tag? Bummer.

IgeL

Isn't this the same analyst who said 270k Xboxes sold, and Xbox ended up with 300k? I wouldn't trust this that much, could easily be 300k again.

I'm hoping that he's low balled the numbers. I would be disappointed with that number both for the PS2 and for the Xbox.

If the PS2 is selling 150k a week after the price drop (according to Tretton) then how can they sell only 260k. But more importantly, the price drop this year is significantly better than the price drop last year. ($149 bundle seems to make all the difference) and they're going to sell less systems than last year??

For the Xbox, fresh off of the price drop, Halo LE bundle, FSW, Riddick, SC:pT, Ninja Gaiden, Rallisport, Thief 3, etc, I would've thought that they'd be able to increase sales year-to-year.

Top Bottom