• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2DS registered/published system designs - Nintendo considered single-screen system?

Source: OHIM (page 3, see design numbers below)

Design Information
Design numbers: 002382457-0001/0002/0003
Filing date: 10/01/2014
Registration date: 10/01/2014
Expiry date: 10/01/2019
Design status: Registered and fully published

2dstmy35.png

bigger version

newayz2n.gif

- First design looks like the one Nintendo used at the end.

- Second design (Alt 1) features a single-screen system, and I really can't see how it could work with "legacy" 3DS games. Maybe it wasn't supposed to I guess. (2DS-only games?)
Then again it wouldn't be a "DS" anymore. How much could Nintendo sell this one-screen system?

- With the third design (Alt 2) we are back to 2-screens, but this time the system is wider/shorter and not "angled".
Don't know how this would affect ergonomics/weight but it def. looks good.

Lower financial projections if old.

I hope the 2DS design is a sign that they may go back to a single screen design next time around.

It probably isn't.

Is there any chance of ever seeing alt 2 surfacing? The smaller screens and wedge-less design make me think it is a cheaper version for some reason.

With the designs being filed only 10 days ago does that mean I had until then to make a 2DS clone or were the designs submitted long ago...

If Nintendo has another handheld system I hope they eliminate BC so we don't get stuck with dual screens forever. I hate them.

Elija2

What is even the point of the Alt 1? You wouldn't be able to play any DS or 3DS games on it unless they squished them to fit on that tiny screen.

Looks like they just threw that in there to preemptively counter cheap knock offs using the same basic design. I can't see that small screened 2DS as ever having been in consideration as an actual product - it serves no purpose.

rrs

Alt 1 looks like what a prototype GBA would had been, or was it just the designers making a joke with alternate design requirements? Or just this:
Looks like they just threw that in there to preemptively counter cheap knock offs using the same basic design. I can't see that small screened 2DS as ever having been in consideration as an actual product - it serves no purpose.

Tom_Cody

Yup. I wouldn't read too much into this.

That said, I am firmly in the camp that believes that Nintendo's next portal will be a hybrid portable/tablet with at vertically oriented 16:9 screen and controls on either side.

The single screen on alt 1 looks more like the lower touch screen than the upper screen. Maybe another device would have provided the upper screen (like the satirical 1DS mock-up that appeared when the 2DS was unveiled)?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

that could be a stand in for a future (more sensible) design they are considering. Nintendo often use tweaked images of older hardware when registering new hardware.

Nilaul

So I could still make one that looks like this?

nFm14Iw.png

Yup. I wouldn't read too much into this.

That said, I am firmly in the camp that believes that Nintendo's next portal will be a hybrid portable/tablet with at vertically oriented 16:9 screen and controls on either side.

Would make sense, but I would think 4:3 would be more likely. What ever it would take to get a ratio of 400 x 480 ( 2 times 240 ) plus a gap to mimic the 3DS.

Top Bottom