• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2k Clarifies how Bioshock Remaster will be handled on PC (originals, physical, etc)

Corpekata

Banned
Stealing this from Nzyme32's post in the Steam thread:

Steam update link

I own BioShock on PC. How do I get the remastered version?

BIOSHOCK ON STEAM: If you already own BioShock, BioShock 2, or Minerva’s Den on Steam, the remastered version for the corresponding title will automatically show up in your Steam library as a separate game. You can expect to see the remastered titles begin rolling out in Steam libraries starting at 3pm PT on September 15, 2016 (find out what time that is in your timezone[www.thetimezoneconverter.com]). Once it shows up, you can choose to install the original version or the remastered version.

BIOSHOCK NOT ON STEAM: If you have a physical copy of BioShock or BioShock 2 on PC, or a Games for Windows Live digital copy, it may take some additional steps to get the remastered version.

The original BioShock is 9 years old. NINE. That is ancient in computer years. This also means most physical copies didn’t come with a CD key. To get BioShock remastered on Steam, you must provide your Steam profile information AND proof of purchase of the original PC game to 2K Support[support.2k.com]. Find out what else you need to submit a ticket here[support.2k.com].

For BioShock 2, find the Games for Windows Live key that was with your digital or physical copy. Activate this key through Steam. Information and step-by-step instructions can be found at this link[support.2k.com].

Once you have BioShock or BioShock 2 on Steam, you are all set for the upgrade starting at 3pm PT on 9/15/16. Want to know if your PC can handle the new remasters? Below are the minimum and recommended system specs for the remastered versions included in BioShock: The Collection.

Minimum Specs:
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64-bit. Platform Update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Processor: Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHZ
Memory: 4 GB
Hard Drive: BioShock 25GB; BioShock 2 25GB; BioShock Infinite 20GB; Total for all three games 70GB
Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 7770 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Device
Other Requirements: Software installations required including DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 & 2012 Redistributable Package.

Recommended Specs:
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64-bit. Platform Update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Processor: 3GHz Quad-Core
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive: BioShock 25GB; BioShock 2 25GB; BioShock Infinite 30GB; Total for all three games 80GB
Video Card: 2GB ATI Radeon HD 7970, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or better
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Device

So basically, it's a direct correlation between owning an old version. There was some confusionm about what you needed in order to get the free upgrades especially with Minerva's Den, so it looks like it's just a 1:1 deal. Additionally the old versions are not being replaced.

Furthermore if you had physical copies there are also methods to get those redeemed on steam by contacting 2k's support, which is a nice touch if you haven't managed to snag them when they've been cheap the dozen times they have been.

What they appear to want if you have a physical copy:

Thank you for contacting 2K Support,

We understand that you would like to migrate your retail copy of BioShock to Steam. In order to be able to be able to assist you, we would need to receive a picture that is showing all of the following :

The Game CD case(s)
The Game CD (If there are multiple, please include each one)
A piece of paper with your steam email address and your ticket number (#) clearly written on it
We will review your request and establish eligibility based on your submission. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

If ever there is anything else related to our 2K titles, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

Best regards,

Anno

Good to see they're taking care of folks that purchased physical copies.

Now if they offered Gaynor doing a dev commentary of Minervas Den I'd pay extra!

Hmmmm. They don't mention saved games. My friend just started bioshock 2 and wants to know if he should wait. Will the remaster read original saved games?

see5harp

Buying during the Summer sale was a good decision. Based on video the upgrades don't really look all that impressive but it'll be nice to be able to go back to the first game.

The original BioShock is 9 years old. NINE. That is ancient in computer years. This also means most physical copies didn’t come with a CD key. To get BioShock remastered on Steam, you must provide your Steam profile information AND proof of purchase of the original PC game to 2K Support[support.2k.com]. Find out what else you need to submit a ticket here[support.2k.com].

Wow I really like how they're going out of their way to provide people who bought the original Bioshock with the remastered version.
Some other developers and publishers would nickel and dime you to buy a new game.

Bioshock physical copy. I used to own one of those. Since then I have all the games digitally on steam so I don't need to worry (not that I would for a remaster anyway).

I'm still not clear on Minerva's Den, will it show up as DLC for Bioshock 2 Remastered or will I have a separate entry in my library just for Minerva's Den Remastered?

Corpekata

Banned
I'm still not clear on Minerva's Den, will it show up as DLC for Bioshock 2 Remastered or will I have a separate entry in my library just for Minerva's Den Remastered?

If you click the link it has a section that seems to clearly imply it'll be a separate entry.

-shadow-

I bought the Trilogy a while ago on Steam, so I'm good. Still own my physical copy of 2. Never managed to confuse with that one because GfwL was such a freakin mess. Great to see it'll pop up in my library soon!

Added the Minerva's Den I bought the Summer sale to my library just in case so we'll see, I'll be slightly salty if I didn't need to even if it was cheap.

Nzyme32

As I said in the other thread, really well done 2k!

Remasters of this nature really should be free and thankfully are for the previous owners, but the extra step to support those who have the older physical copies or even the GFWL versions without keys, and who missed the original switch to SteamWorks, are still able to get the games for free.

Damn good job. The way it should be

Linkyn

I actually have both steam and non-steam physical versions of all three games. I had to run the original Bioshock over GFWL - that's how old it is.

Really cool of them. If I had told you, when you bought the disc version nearly a decade ago, "in 9 years they'll even give you an upgraded version for free!" you'd never have believed me.

Really nice of them to give free copy of the games to people who already own the originals.

Just like with Titan Quest. Really good of them to be generous with their customers :)

Jesb

If you have these on pc already is there any point in downloading the remaster versions, what is improved?

Holy shit, we get upgraded to the Remastered editions for free? :D

Must have missed that announcement. This is extremely awesome of them.

I have the box for my Bioshock PC version, the booklet contains a CD key (it doesn't activate on Steam, I've tried). However, I don't have a receipt. Is the barcode and CD key enough to get an upgraded copy?

Corpekata

Banned
I have the box for my Bioshock PC version, the booklet contains a CD key (it doesn't activate on Steam, I've tried). However, I don't have a receipt. Is the barcode and CD key enough to get an upgraded copy?

Try emailing them and see what exactly they want.

Punjicide

I contacted 2k about upgrading retail copies earlier, this the automated response of what they want you to show them:

We understand that you would like to migrate your retail copy of BioShock to Steam. In order to be able to be able to assist you, we would need to receive a picture that is showing all of the following :

The Game CD case(s)
A piece of paper with your steam email address and your ticket number (#) clearly written on it
We will review your request and establish eligibility based on your submission. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

If ever there is anything else related to our 2K titles, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

Best regards,

Punjicide

The original physical copies didn't come with a CD key? How did that work?
My copy did, Bioshock used Securom and some copies required a CD key to activate (probably depending on region and/or release of some copies).

That being said, it doesn't seem to be what they're looking for, although I still provided it just in case. From the response I received from support, which I posted earlier, it seems that they just want photographic evidence of a physical copy, request number, and the email address associated with your steam account.

theRizzle

This is the first time I've heard that they will be free... that's pretty awesome. I was going to replay Bioshock in the near future, so I guess I'll just wait.

Thanks 2Ken!

I have the original CE but I'm pretty sure its not in my steam account. What do I need to provide exactly?

Been a minute since I played this, and I actually beat it on the 360... didn't open my PC copy for years.

Punjicide

I have the original CE but I'm pretty sure its not in my steam account. What do I need to provide exactly?

Been a minute since I played this, and I actually beat it on the 360... didn't open my PC copy for years.

From my post earlier:

The Game CD case(s)

Best regards

Deadbeat

Banned
Good to see they're taking care of folks that purchased physical copies.
Its nice that companies that actually bothered with GFWL are trying to ensure owners can continue to play the games on a properly working and continually supported gamefront instead of shrugging their shoulders due to the previous MS commitment to PC gaming.

Pejo

Wow, didn't even know PC was getting the remastered version, but for free if you already own the games? Good show 2k. I am gonna do a replay of the first game post haste once I get the remaster in my library.

Boss Mog

I completely forgot that this was something that existed and its coming out in 3 days too. I will definitely get this on PS4 since its 1080p/60fps. I have to reward proper console remasters of great games as opposed to lazy ones (I'm looking at you Dishonored).

Top Bottom