• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2k Clarifies how Bioshock Remaster will be handled on PC (originals, physical, etc)

I picked up the three pack on steam a while ago, currently trying to beat infinite and all it's dlc before hitting up the remastered 1/2/Minerva. Really cool to get remastered copies free by owning the originals no matter how old, I wish this is how all remasters were handled.

ViviOggi

The original BioShock is 9 years old. NINE. That is ancient in computer years. This also means most physical copies didn’t come with a CD key.

Isn't this a lie, Bioshock spearheaded the short-lived but disgusting activation limit trend back in the day and I'm pretty sure it was key-based.

That said it's amazing they're serving these for free for everyone who owns the originals in any form. Gonna do a rerun for sure.

FyreWulff

Isn't this a lie, Bioshock spearheaded the short-lived but disgusting activation limit trend back in the day and I'm pretty sure it was key-based.

That said it's amazing they're serving these for free for everyone who owns the originals in any form. Gonna do a rerun for sure.

They're probably skipping out on supporting people that owned it via the Games for Windows store since every Games for Windows key worked with every Games For Windows game except for some of the last ones. tl;dr yeah it had CD keys

Punjicide

How do I know my ticket number before submitting a ticket though?

That's true, you won't. I may not have thought my PSA through lol.

You'll receive that automated message immediately after submitting the ticket, so they're not looking for the photo right off the bat.

I just wanted to give folks a heads up of what they were looking for, although I suppose it is kinda redundant in the end.

Pakoe

That's pretty cool, taking to time to make it as easy as possible.
I've never finished Bioshock 2, so i'm gonna give it another go when this releases.

BigDes

Cool, I didn't know they were following Bethesda. Good on them for starting this trend.

Bethesda doing this with Skyrim is cool but they hardly started this trend, plenty of other games have had remasters or director's cuts released on steam and people who owned the originals got the remaster for free.

That's true, you won't. I may not have thought my PSA through lol.

You'll receive that automated message immediately after submitting the ticket, so they're not looking for the photo right off the bat.

I just wanted to give folks a heads up of what they were looking for, although I suppose it is kinda redundant in the end.

They're going to be thrilled with me, I didn't realize this and attached a bunch of images right off the bat haha.

SMG

Glad the original games will remain. Even if these are better overiding the old ones would be needlessly destructive.

Bl@de

So it finally paid off to buy 1+2 for 5€ and never play them. I knew it. All hail the might backlog of Steam sales.

Odrion

Banned
The physical copy requirement comes off as a symbolic gesture more than anything. Who the hell is holding on to a 9-year-old receipt to a video game?

Damn, I think I should give Bioshocks a try when the remasters are out. I got 1 and 2 on Steam because I bought a bundle on Amazon with Duke Nukem Forever+DLC and Bioshock 1 and 2.
And I wanted Duke Nukem Forever the most.

Very nice of them to give these for free for owners.

finley83

Banned
Really hope there's a FOV slider for 2, I love the game but it's unplayable without running Flawless Widescreen in the background.

Punjicide

They're going to be thrilled with me, I didn't realize this and attached a bunch of images right off the bat haha.
I did the same lol.

I apologized to them in the follow-up with the correct photo, though I imagine they don't care too much.

I received my steam key from them a few hours ago, so they're working fairly quickly given the amount of requests they're likely getting.

DeadTrees

The physical copy requirement comes off as a symbolic gesture more than anything. Who the hell is holding on to a 9-year-old receipt to a video game?

"Proof of purchase", not necessarily a store receipt. Online shopping did indeed exist in 2007.

I did the same lol.

I apologized to them in the follow-up with the correct photo, though I imagine they don't care too much.

I received my steam key from them a few hours ago, so they're working fairly quickly given the amount of requests they're likely getting.

That was really fast. When did you open the ticket?

Punjicide

That was really fast. When did you open the ticket?

Yesterday evening, so it was probaby around 17 hours in total, give or take. It probably only took that long given it was after support hours during the start of the weekend, and the amount of tickets that they are receiving.

Edit: I should mention it was around half an hour wait from when they escalated my ticket that I received my key.

Corpekata

Banned

If you read the rest of the thread they don't appear to be very strict on that and mainly just want a picture of the box, the CD, and your steam email.

Adamator

I had no idea these were being given away for free. I have physical copies of Bio 1 & 2. Thank you for making this thread.

EDit: I actually have a CD Key for Bioshock 1. I had the Limited Edition...but the key didn't work.

So bioshock collection comes out tomorrow. Does that mean the games will show up for those that own the original on steam tonight at midnight?

Wonko_C

So bioshock collection comes out tomorrow. Does that mean the games will show up for those that own the original on steam tonight at midnight?

It's in the OP:

BIOSHOCK ON STEAM: If you already own BioShock, BioShock 2, or Minerva’s Den on Steam, the remastered version for the corresponding title will automatically show up in your Steam library as a separate game. You can expect to see the remastered titles begin rolling out in Steam libraries starting at 3pm PT on September 15, 2016 (find out what time that is in your timezone[www.thetimezoneconverter.com]). Once it shows up, you can choose to install the original version or the remastered version.

Top Bottom