• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3/4s through the year. What are you favorite games so far?

In no particular order.

H:ZD
Hellblade
Resident Evil 7
Zelda BOTW
Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle

I have a feeling by the end of October that Wolfenstein 2 and Super Mario Odyssey will also be on this list.

What a fantastic and diverse year for gaming. All types of great games from many genres. One of my favorites in recent memory for sure (perhaps even the best)

Hugstable

Banned
Zelda
Yakuza 0
Mario+Rabbids
Nier Automata
Splatoon 2
Persona 5

Still need to play Horizon, YS8, Mario Odyssey once its out

Release order:

Persona 5
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Metroid: Samus Returns
SteamWorld Dig 2

N.Sane Trilogy and Wipeout were also great, but they don't count since they're remakes. *shudder*

Wamb0wneD

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Splatoon 2
3. Cuphead
4. Persona 5
5. Mario + Rabbids

Bloodborne would be Nr. 2 or 1 because I played it this year. Glorious game.

Stencil

Golf Story! Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids. Shout out to Quest of Dungeons & Binding of Isaac.

edit: oh wait, BotW was this year, too huh. Breath of the Wild is definitely my #1.

Damerman

Damn, this year in gaming for me has been utter shit. I've only played rocksmith titanfall 2 and like 5 hours of mass effect Andromeda.

I wanna pick up horizon, nier automata and uncharted lost legacy.

Resident Evil 7
Prey
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Metroid: Samus Returns

Horizon was also very good in points but fell into too many of the trappings of shitty modern open world design.

Zelda BOTW - I’m about 60 hours in and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. Will likely go down as my favorite game of all time.

Resident Evil 7 - fantastic game, although I feel that the first 3/4 of the game were better than the the last 1/4.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - beautiful game with an excellent story and controls. I’m not quite finished yet, but I plan to once I finish Zelda.

Shovel Knight (Switch version) - fun 2D platformer. I like it more than the games that inspired it.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - fun, relaxing game to play when I don’t have a ton of time.

The Nintendo Switch has been a game changer for me. I really enjoy undocking the system and playing in bed for an hour or two before going to sleep.

Gaenor

Banned
Top 3 :

1) Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2) WipEout Omega Collection
3) Cuphead (from the very little I’ve played)

My top 10 so far:

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Nier Automata
  4. What Remains of Edith Finch
  5. Yakuza 0
  6. Resident Evil 7
  7. Horizon Zero Dawn
  8. Splatoon 2
  9. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
  10. Prey
Still need to play Nioh, Persona 5, Metroid: Samus Returns and a bunch of indies. Very strong year with plenty still to come out!

Sygma

Divinity 2
Nier Automata (please make a standalone with a2)
Breath of the wild
Horizon
Lost Legacy
Stormblood
Mario + Rabbids

I feel like rpg as a whole genre is getting a royale year

Sinistral

Welcome sight to see all the Persona 5 mentions. I'm probably going to start the game tomorrow with zero expectations or knowledge.

Of the games I've played this year, Yakuza 0 is probably my top pick so far. Blind pick up from GAF recommendations too.

Zelda: BotW
Nier: Automata
Zero: Horizon Dawn

Great games but flaws that prevented them from being amazing for me. Falling short of my expectations.

Gravity Rush 2 was a real let down.

Mario + Rabbids was a pleasant surprise.

Still playing through Cuphead. But it's rising fast.

Have only really played through BOTW, Telltale Batman, currently Trails of Cold Steel II.

Bought but haven't opened FFXII HD, Grav Rush 2, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Horizon, Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and FFIX Remaster. Waiting to buy Sonic Mania as well.

Winner is BOTW.

And the SNES Classic.

So far, my favorites are:

Zelda: BotW
Nioh
NieR: Automata

I'm still playing Persona 5, Metroid: Samus Returns, and Mario+Rabbids. I have yet to crack into HZD, Crash Trilogy, Splatoon 2, and RE7.

1. Zelda
2. Hollow Knight
3. Mario + Rabbids
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
5. Metroid: Samus Returns

Currently playing Divinity 2 and unless the games quality drops off a cliff it'll likely be taking the #2 or #3 spot, Mario Odyssey, if it ends up being as good as it looks could have a shot at my #1 or #2 spot, only real disappointment this year for me has been Persona 5, still a really good game but didn't live up to the hype for me and has a few things that I consider weird design decisions.

Spman2099

My top five would be...

Persona 5
Nier
Resident Evil 7
Gravity Rush 2
Cuphead (it may be a little early, but I love the shit out of it)

I think the next batch would be some configuration of...

Yakuza 0
Night in the Woods
Golf Story
Horizon
BotW
Nioh

This has been a great year...

Persona 5
Horizon Zero Dawn
Breath of the Wild
Resident Evil 7
Crash N.Sane Trilogy

Just started Nier Automata and have yet to start Metroid Samus Returns but I'm sure those will be on there somewhere.

It's been a good year. My top 3 right now are Zelda BotW, Steamworld Dig 2, and Sonic Mania.

I've also played Splatoon 2 and Samus Returns, which are great games but I wouldn't call them my favorites.

Breath of the Wild.
Prey.
Rainbow Six:Siege.

Those are my most played games this year so far. Will probably change a bit after October.

This has been a good year; my top 3 are now among my all time favorites:

1. Zelda BotW
2. Persona 5
3. Yakuza 0
4. Nier Automata
5. Sonic Mania

I fully expect MARIO Odyssey to supplant at least one of those. I've also just started Samus Returns which seems promising thus far.

jeffc919

PUBG. Only thing I play these days while my PS4 collects dust (literally....it needs to be cleaned because it is covered in dust).

Cuphead
Resident Evil VII
Outlast 2
Pyre
Little Nightmares

There's still a few games I need to play before the year wraps up including Nioh, Hellblade, and Rain World. Also looking forward to The Evil Within 2.

Greedings

Breath of the wild
Nioh
Nier automata
Metroid

I've played persona 5 but I thought it was pretty shit. Destiny 2 is ok but the lack of matchmaking kills it for me.

Coxy100

Banned
Only been able to play 2 games properly this year

Zelda (incredible)
Mario and rabbids (great fun)

Played about half a dozen others such as Horizon zero dawn. Good games but n9t great.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Persona 5
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
Yakuza 0
What Remains of Edith Finch

That would be my top 5 games if the year ended today. Although I have a feeling Wolfenstein 2 will replace one of them after this month.

KRaZyAmmo

Yakuza 0
Persona 5
Splatoon 2 (I played a bit of it at friend's)
Sonic Mania
Everyone's golf (also at friend's place)

looking forward to Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus

weekev

Banned
Breath of the Wild
Overcooked
Mario Rabbids
Arms
Splatoon 2
Puyo puyo Tetris
Sonic Mania

All fantastic games. I need to start on myvPS4 backlog but the Switch has me hooked. Thankfully there isn’t anything out in October so I can concentrate on my backlog then...wait what? Awwww shit is odysseymas this month. I’ll maybe get to Horizon at some point.

1. Persona 5
2. Hollow Knight
3. Breath of the Wild

Still lots to play from this year, but I imagine that'll be my top 3 when it's all said and done. Super Mario Odyssey is the only game that has a chance of cracking those.

guyssorry

Breath of the Wild is #1 and one of the best games I have ever played (top 10-ish)

I also really enjoyed Soma (I am aware that it's an older game). It was incredibly atmospheric and has one of the best stories/plots in gaming.

I finally played through the DLC of Dark Souls III. Ringed City was pretty great, while Ashes was just good.

Regarding indie games, I played ABZU on ps4. It was wonderful and has incredible music.

Top Bottom