• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Arguably the WORST zombie scenario ever conceived.

Worst as in, "oh shit there's no escaping/surviving this..."

LOVE that movie, can be argued that at its core it's a comedy. Great film. Showed it to some friends at college October 2014 and they absolutely loved it.

I haven't seen it since my mid-teens some 10-15 years ago. Same with many of the 70's/80's classics on my list. I can't wait to watch them again, it's been so long it may as well be for the first time

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
31/31

1- The Fly ('58) 3.5/5
2- Alien 5/5
3- The Horde 3/5
4- Burying the Ex 2.5/5
5- The Thing 5/5
6- The Last House on the Left 3.5/5
7- Pandorum 3.5/5
8- What We Become 3/5
9- Nina Forever 3/5
10- Demons 4/5
11- Toxic Avenger 4/5
12- House 3/5
13- Timecrimes 4.5/5
14- Sleepaway Camp 5/5
15- Return to Sleepaway Camp 2/5
16- The Devil Rejects 2/5
17- The Blob ('58) 2/5
18- Child's Play 4/5
19- Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse 4/5
20- Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension 1.5/5
21- The Voices 3.5/5
22- The Night of the Demons 3.5/5
23- Troll 3.5/5
24- Sleepaway Camp 2 2.5/5
25- The Uninvited 3/5
26- All Cheerleaders Die 3/5
27- Event Horizon 4.5/5
28- The Crow 3/5
29- Re-Animator 4.5/5
30- ParaNorman 5/5
31- Re-Kill 2/5

fart town usa

Gold Member
I haven't seen it since my mid-teens some 10-15 years ago. Same with many of the 70's/80's classics on my list. I can't wait to watch them again, it's been so long it may as well be for the first time

Oh man, you are in for a treat. It holds up so well. I hadn't seen it for like 20 years either and it was so enjoyable.

It's genuinely funny, but man, that movie gets D A R K when you least expect it. It's downright harrowing by the finale.

When I was a kid, I randomly came across ROTLD on TV. I had never seen a zombie film before and caught the last twenty minutes of the film. It stayed with me for years, especially one particular scene featuring a wedding ring. Years later, my friend and I decide to watch the film based on its reputation. I was very shocked to discover that this horror/comedy was the same movie that fucked me up years earlier. We actually got stoned beforehand and it became one of best viewing experiences of my life. I was scared as hell and damn near laughed myself to death at the same time.

Excited to start this year. I haven't seen a ton of classics so I'm gonna use my list to correct that.

October can't come soon enough.

http://letterboxd.com/rotbp/list/31-days-of-horror-2016/

You're list is stacked as well, lots of good stuff.

Steamlord

Hell yes, possibly my favorite time of the year. I don't have a list or anything, I just kind of wing it as I go along. Last year I watched a whopping 56 movies, so I don't know if I'll be able to top that this year. As long as I get 31 I'll be happy.

Previous marathon lists (I sort of participated in 2011, but I didn't really get into it until 2014):
2015 - 2015 list on Letterboxd

And if anyone's looking for some recommendations...

Favorites from last year's marathon:
Orlacs Hände (The Hands of Orlac) [1924]
Tokaido Yotsuya kaidan (The Ghost of Yotsuya) [1959]
Spalovač Mrtvol (The Cremator) [1969]
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde [1931]
Kyôfu kikei ningen: Edogawa Rampo zenshû (Horrors of Malformed Men) [1969]
The Wicker Man [1973]
Tras el cristal (In a Glass Cage) [1987]
The Abominable Dr. Phibes [1971]

Recommendations / curiosities I've seen since last year's marathon:
The Witch
Eyes of Fire (kind of recommended - it's like the cheesy 80s version of The Witch, and it's very entertaining if you're into that sort of thing)
Cure
Bone Tomahawk
Tourist Trap (not amazing, but delightfully weird in a way that's probably the closest in tone to Sleepaway Camp that I've seen...if that makes sense)
The Perfume of the Lady in Black (it's like Repulsion meets giallo)
Green Room
Don't Breathe

All-time favorite horror movies:
Repulsion
Vampyr
Nosferatu
Eraserhead
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928)
Mulholland Drive (it counts)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Kwaidan
Possession
Eyes Without a Face
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Alien
Hausu
Let the Right One In
Jigoku
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
The Cremator
The Innocents

...I should probably stop there.

And here's my Letterboxd profile if anyone's interested: http://letterboxd.com/steamlord/

Beautiful thread for a beautiful tradition! As someone who writes and makes horror, it's such a kick to find new things and read impressions.

Don't forget, the camp(y) slasher classic Sleepaway Camp is available for free on YouTube though you should buy the really cheap DVD if you can, you shmuck. Get your summer kicks in with a killer time!

Sleepaway+Camp+Angela
ChainedPrometheus and imbask, you're both in for an INCREDIBLE time if you watch what's on your lists, great gods, they are stacked with absolute perfect films.

Question for some super nerds- what is the best R1 blu-ray transfer of Return of the Living Dead? I hear there's audio issues all around due to lyrics and vocals being removed? What the hell is that about?

Although it's not a movie, the 2nd episode of season 1 of Tales from the Crypt is Xmas themed. I watched it last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. The actor who plays the bad guy in Darkman plays a wonderfully deranged Santa. It was good dumb fun.

Thanks for the Tales From The Crypt tip!

The 1972 Tales from the Crypt movie with Joan Collins does another adaptation of the killer Santa story as well, if you're looking for something full-length. The rest of the segments in the movie aren't Christmas related though.

Can someone recommend some good home invasion or home imprisonment-type films? Things like Don't Breathe, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Purge, and other movies in that vein.

I didn't see it mentioned yet, so I'll toss out a recommendation for the 2010 remake of Mother's Day with Rebecca De Mornay. It's completely different than the original movie and is waaaaay better.

And while it doesn't take place in a home, Green Room is a fantastic imprisonment-type film.

Question for some super nerds- what is the best R1 blu-ray transfer of Return of the Living Dead? I hear there's audio issues all around due to lyrics and vocals being removed? What the hell is that about?

Scream Factory just released a new one with a much better transfer and a shitload of extras. The colour balance is a little warm for my taste, but I set my TV to cool and that improved it.

I believe it also restores the original Tarman voice, though I honestly didn't notice a difference when I watched it. I think they restored the original music as well but couldn't get the rights to one song. Sorry, I haven't really looked into the audio issues/changes since I'm used to the original DVD release.

I always didn't watch much horror. Just here and there. It's not that i didn't like it, i just didn't watch. But after Don't Breath i've watched a lot of horror films, and i'm gonna participate this year.

First of all my list.

Letterboxd

1) The Evil Dead
2) Evil Dead II
3) Army of Darkness
4) Evil Dead
5) Drag Me to Hell
6) Halloween
7) Scream
8) Scream 2
9) Scream 3
10) Scream 4
11) The Sacrament
12) The Innkeepers
13) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
14) You're Next
15) The Cabin in the Woods
16) It Follows
17) V/H/S
18) V/H/S/2
19) The Conjuring
20) The Conjuring 2
21) 28 Days Later...
22) 28 Weeks Later
23) Hush
24) The Last Man on Earth
25) Fright Night
26) Fright Night (2011)
27) The Devil's Rejects
28) Videodrome
29) The Fly
30) Trick 'r Treat
31) What We Do in the Shadows
32) Kill List
33) Bone Tomahawk
34) The Shining
35) Braindead
36) Cheap Thrills
37) Creep
38) Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead

Yep. That's a long list. But i have a ton of time and i also don't know what i'll be in mood for.

Second of all i added everyone on Letterboxd, if i missed someone, sorry.

And third of all i'd like some suggetions.
I want something akin to Until Dawn (yes, a game). Something about group of friends trying to survive somewhere, preferably slasher.
And also please recommend me horror thrillers. Like The Guest, Green Room, Don't Breathe, The Shallows.

And third of all i'd like some suggestions.
I want something akin to Until Dawn (yes, a game). Something about group of friends trying to survive somewhere, preferably slasher.
And also please recommend me horror thrillers. Like The Guest, Green Room, Don't Breathe, The Shallows.

Survival Horror:
Night of the Demons
You're Next
Wrong Turn
Hills Have Eyes
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
The Descent
Dog Soldiers
The Ruins
Saw 2
Dawn of the Dead
[Rec]
30 Days of Night
The Thing
The Crazies
Return of the Living Dead
Night of the Living Dead

Horror Thrillers:
It Follows
Saw
The Orphanage
Dead Silence
The Conjuring
Frailty
Oculus
Session 9
The Omen
Eden Lake
Them (ILs)
The Strangers
Maniac
A Tale of Two Sisters
High Tension
The Ring
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Yep. That's a long list. But i have a ton of time and i also don't know what i'll be in mood for.

Second of all i added everyone on Letterboxd, if i missed someone, sorry.

And third of all i'd like some suggetions.

Wrong Turn is probably the closest thing I can think of to Until Dawn. It's trashy as fuck, but fun. And Wrong Turn 2 is perhaps better. Don't bother after the second one. Followed you back on Letterboxd :)

FloatOn

can't participate this year but I love this thread.

looking forward to reading all the impressions and discovering new movies.

To add on to what Thirstyfly already said, the new Scream Factory Blu-ray includes the original audio and soundtrack with one exception, that being the short scene where the punk's are riding in the car together. Scream Factory couldn't get the rights to the original song, but it doesn't bother me since it's only about 10 seconds long.

Second Sight released a good Blu-ray in the UK a few years back, and it includes 100% of the original audio. The picture looks pretty decent, but overall I prefer Scream Factory's transfer. Also, the Second Sight Blu is region 2 only, so that could cause an issue if you don't have a region free player.

Personally, I'd grab the Scream Factory release, it's one of my favorite releases this year. Plus it includes an amazing documentary as well if you're as into that as I am.

Ridley327

Fuck it, I got tracking numbers for what's left any way, so that's good enough for me.

RIDLEY'S HALLOWEEN HORROR MOVIE MARATHON 2016: 80s ANNUAL EDITION

While I have a lot of fun with these threads, I have been running these marathons myself for just a tad longer! As I now head into the eighth consecutive marathon, it became obvious that I had to do something really special.

THE THEME

Those that remember my viewing last year will now that I devoted it entirely to films of the 70s. If the subtitle didn't give away already, then let me be more clear that this year is all about the 80s. Being an 80s baby myself, it's hard not to have a built-in bias for the decade, but the fact has been clear for a while now that this decade was the beginning, middle and end of an era for the genre on screen. The depth of the genre was arguably at its peak during the decade, as technology finally caught up to a lot of ambition and it became easier than ever before to even make a film with the advent of VHS. Suddenly, even the makeup guys had just as much of top billing as directors and actors, and we even got to be on a first name basis with the biggest icons of horror film in a way that hadn't happened since the 30s. So how do we celebrate such a decade?

THE GUIDELINES

-The whole world is watching!: One thing I've been striving really hard to do in any movie watching that I've done recently is to watch more foreign titles, so this year's overlying theme made for an excellent opportunity to satisfy that craving. There are more foreign films this year than any other one I've done previously, and they represent a kind of cinema that you simply can't get domestically. Speaking of that...
-Cut it out, slashers!: Another guideline I imposed on myself this year was one that will come as a great shock: there are no slasher films among the selections I've made this year. How on earth could someone do an 80s marathon without a slasher? As I did the research, making the decision to avoid diving into the dregs of the genre turned out to be a lot easier than I could have imagined.
-Working for the weekends!: I can't guarantee I can watch more than one movie on normal weekdays, but weekends are a different story! While I can't guarantee that I would continue to do this, I'm going to watch movies until I get my fill on Saturdays and Sundays. There will definitely be at least two films watched on both days, but I'll keep watching until I don't want to. For the vast majority of the time, these will all be first-time views, but I'm already thinking of sneaking in a few rewatches of some of the most hallowed films of the 80s, including one I'll already spoil: TCM and Fathom Events screening of The Shining later on in the month. Tell me you don't want to do that yourself!

THE LIST

The following will be first-time views!

Angst
Bad Taste
The Beast Within
The Blob (1988)
The Boogens
The Boxer's Omen
Cat People (1982)
The Children
A Chinese Ghost Story
Combat Shock
The Company of Wolves
Contamination
Crimes of Passion
The Dead Zone
Der Fan
Ghost Money
The Hand
The Hidden
The Hitcher
House on the Edge of the Park
The Hunger
Lady in White
Lair of the White Worm
Lily C.A.T.
The Lost Boys
The Monster Squad
Mystics in Bali
Nekromantik
Night of the Comet
Of Unknown Origin
Parents
Poltergeist
Possession
Pumpkinhead
Q: The Winged Serpent
The Stepfather
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne
Street Trash
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Vampire Hunter D
Vampires in Havana
White Dog
Wicked City
Wolfen

That's 44 films in all! Combine that with the one rewatch I told you about already, that puts it at 45. I wonder if I've got what it takes to find five more films to rewatch to get to an even 50, a feat I haven't reached since my fifth annual marathon. HMMMMMM...

As always, plans can change: the internet could go out for an inordinate amount of time, I suddenly don't have a working Blu-ray player in the house or I could suddenly feel like not giving Troma one last chance to dazzle me, but it's safe to say that this is a locked list for first-time views. Surprise additions could still appear, though, so who knows just how crazy I am yet.

THE RESOURCES

A pretty significant chunk of the films I'm watching this year are on physical media, but VOD and streaming are always a godsend in this day and age, so let's give a warm applause to the following:

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Shudder
VUDU
Youtube

I credit all these fine books in helping me make my selections:

-Horror Films of the 1980s, vols. 1 & 2 by John Kenneth Muir
-Rue Morgue Magazine's 200 Alternative Horror Films You Need to See, edited by Rodrigo Gudiño & Dave Alexander
-Nightmare Movies: Horror on the Screen Since the 1960s, by Kim Newman

As always, have fun and watch more movies!

Just been through my DVD collection and can just about cover this...bold will be first time watches (it's about half and half which is good)

Amer
American Mary
Audition
Battle Royale
Begotten
Bubba Ho-Tep
Colin
Dead Snow
Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead
Deadgirl
Eden Lake
The Eye
Frontiers

The Gingerdead Man
Gingerdead Man 2: Passion of the Crust
Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver

Goodnight Mommy
Hansel and Gretel
Hush
I Spit on Your Grave

Ichi the Killer
In the Mouth of Madness
Infection
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
The Last Man on Earth
Martyrs
Orphan
Phenomena
Teeth

Trailer Park of Terror
The Woman

I'm kind of amazed that despite all of the horrors Ridley has seen, he somehow skipped Poltergeist for all of these years.

Hope you dig The Blob as well, it's incredibly fun and has amazing effects.

Ridley327

I'm kind of amazed that despite all of the horrors Ridley has seen, he somehow skipped Poltergeist for all of these years.

To be honest, a lot of that has been because of the directing controversy. If you get sold on a Tobe Hooper film and really get Steven Spielberg instead, it's bound to leave one a bit wary.

But much like the Troma films on there, I'm giving it a chance because... well, why the fuck not.

GhaleonEB

I'll work up the list of new films, but these are the re-watches I plan to incorporate.

Alien
The Thing
Trick'r Treat (a Halloween tradition of mine)
Cabin in the Woods - just too much fun not to include

I'd put The Witch on there, but I just re-watched it this weekend.

Outside of those, gonna find new stuff. Blair Witch is this weekend, otherwise it would be on the October list.

rtcn63

If you don't mind subs:

Horror Stories 1 and 2 (Korean). Anthology film consisting of four or so stories.

6 Films to Keep You Awake (Spanish, although I believe an official dubbed version exists). Think of each film as an episode of Masters of Horror. Some are better than others, some are more horror than others. Try not to pay attention to narratives so much because plot holes tend to be glaring.

Witching and Bitching (Spanish). Incredibly inconsistent but super super fun film.

Shrew's Nest (Spanish). More drama than horror, and the plot twists can be seen from a mile away. But it's entertaining and well-acted.

This one is well-known and in English. Resident Evil 4 anyone?

Sleep Tight (Spanish). Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard only positive things. REC 1-4 are also pretty watchable, the first one being a zombie classic.

To be honest, a lot of that has been because of the directing controversy. If you get sold on a Tobe Hooper film and really get Steven Spielberg instead, it's bound to leave one a bit wary.

But much like the Troma films on there, I'm giving it a chance because... well, why the fuck not.

Yeah, I wish the full details of the controversy would get released one day, that's a documentary I'd pay good money to see. Many scenes feel like Hooper but then again other scenes don't. The overall tone is straight up Spielberg as well, especially from the year it was made. Despite all that, it's one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy it.

This thread has caused me to stay up way past my bedtime watching The Return of the Living Dead on Netflix, a film I last saw on VHS when I was about 18
(30 bastard years ago)

Forgot how amazing it was. Linnea Quigley, oh my goodness.

kinggroin

Banned

http://www.ttf13.com/reviews/2016/9/10/bloodshock

Snippet - "This gore-fest is not only bringing the blood and guts, but profound emotion as well, and director Marcus Koch does an excellent job leveraging Stephen Biro's writing and parlaying that into a successful drama (one obviously wrapped in many levels of depravity)"

Hope y'all enjoy my review. I'll continue to share more throughout the season until the end of Halloween.

Forgot how amazing it was. Linnea Quigley, oh my goodness.

Lawdy

Kazaam

It definitely qualifies by the end. It's basically a fashion show written and shot by Dario Argento.

Ha. Awesome description. Except maybe Argento being more fun... but it's like you made sense of my thoughts.

EDIT: I won't be able to do this, but I am looking forward to quite a few Horror films at the BFI London Film Festival.. especially The Eyes of My Mother. That being said the only other notable Horror film/event for me in October will be seeing a proper restoration copy of Klimov's Come and See.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Buzzfeed (yeah, I know) put together a list of 19 of the most fucked up horror movies. Some of them sound great and going to watch them for the marathon.

Kazaam

The aliens movies are fair game right?

Alien = masterpiece and one of the greatest horror films
Aliens = popcorn flick
Alien 3 = personally I prefer it to Aliens, but don't expect much
Alien: Resurrection = do something better with your time

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm going to be honest, I didn't know Alien was considered a Horror movie. I haven't seen any of those movies since I was little and I think I will re-watch them. Same goes for Predator.

Here's how my list is currently looking. I unfortunately may not be able to go for the full 31 this year, so this is the best case scenario list. All will be first time viewings.

I'm not locking it down to a solid list this year, I wanted a bit of wiggle room this time. Numbered titles will be watched for sure, filler titles will be picked at random depending on mood or if something comes up in the thread and sounds good.

Mandatory Movies
01) The Last Man on Earth (1964)
02) Hush (2016)

Bava(s) Week
03) Black Sunday (1960) [Mario]
04) A Blade in the Dark (1983) [Lamberto]
05) Kill, Baby... Kill! (1966) [Mario]
06) Demons 2 (1986) [Lamberto]
07) A Bay of Blood (1971) [Mario]
08) Delirium (1987) [Lamberto]
09) Lisa and the Devil (1973) / The House of Exorcism (1975) [Mario]

Giallo
10) Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971)
11) The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave (1971)
12) The Red Queen Kills 7 Times (1972)

Universal
13) The Invisible Man (1933)
14) Son of Frankenstein (1939)

Hammer
15) The Brides of Dracula (1960)
16) Twins of Evil (1971)

Jean Rollin
17) The Demoniacs (1974)
18) The Grapes of Death (1978)

Series I Watch Yearly During the Marathon
19) Phantasm II (1988)

Other
20) Tusk (2014)
21) The Witch (2015)
22) The Neon Demon (2016)
23) The Shallows (2016)
24) The Wailing (2016)
25) Train to Busan (2016) [Depending on Availability]

- Filler Titles -

Cannibal Movies
- The Mountain of the Cannibal God (1978)
- Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
- Cannibal Apocalypse (1980)

Dario Argento
- Inferno (1980)
- Giallo (2009)

John Fasano
- Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare (1987)
- Black Roses (1988)

Other
- Village of the Damned (1960)
- Eyes Without a Face (1960)
- The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
- Rosemary's Baby (1968)
- Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (1972)
- The Toolbox Murders (1978)
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1979)
- Christine (1983)
- Microwave Massacre (1983)
- Sorority House Massacre (1986)
- Trick or Treat (1986)
- The Stepfather (1987)
- The Lair of the White Worm (1988)
- Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988)
- Pin (1989)
- A Cat in the Brain (1990)
- Tales of Halloween (2015)

Linkhero1

Excited for this year.

Here's my tentative list. List is subject to change.

September 29 - Night of the Creeps
September 30 - The Cottage
October 1 - The Conjuring 2
October 2 - Hobo with a Shotgun
October 3 - Sleepaway Camp
October 4 - Splice
October 5 - Southbound
October 6 - Krampus
October 7 - From Beyond
October 8 - The Witch
October 9 - Bram Stoker's Dracula
October 10 - As Above, So Below
October 11 - The ReZort
October 12 - The Hallow
October 13 - Beneath
October 14 - Night of the Comet
October 15 - Feast
October 16 - The Funhouse Massacre
October 17 - Basket Case
October 18 - Splinter
October 19 - Howl
October 20 - Joy Ride
October 21 - The Laughing Mask
October 22 - Black Sabbath
October 23 - The Last Exorcism
October 24 - Hostel
October 25 - Stir of Echoes
October 26 - The Fog
October 27 - The Visit
October 28 - Hush
October 29 - Disturbia
October 30 - Tales of Halloween
October 31 - Halloween

I'm really excited to watch it. I can't stress enough how I love 80s practical effects :)

In that case, if you end up linking Basket Case 1, you should check out the sequels some time. They're not as crazy as the original, but there's some really creative monster designs and fun practical effects, especially in Basket Case 3.

The Blob is one of those extremely underrated gems. It took a very campy 50's monster film only remembered for its theme song and being Steve McQueen's debut and remade it into a fun, gory, often times scary roller coaster ride. And the FX holds up remarkably well 28 years later.

mjc

I have trouble deciding when to watch Krampus this year...wait until December and throw it on after Home Alone?

Top Bottom