• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

J-Roderton

Wow! The Exorcist is new to you? I feel so jealous right now...

I'm watching it for the first time next month as well. I have the dvd that says it's the "version you've never seen before" or some shit like that. I guess mine has different scenes than the theatrical cut.

glow

Banned
I'm watching it for the first time next month as well. I have the dvd that says it's the "version you've never seen before" or some shit like that. I guess mine has different scenes than the theatrical cut.

Yuck... The theatrical cut is infinitely better imo. The tone of the ending in "the version you've never seen before" just did not work.

Haven't chosen the order yet but here's what I'm 99% sure is going to be my watchlist for this year. Going for a ton of 80s horror this year.

Bolded are rewatches

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
Night of the Comet (1984)
The Last Man on Earth (1964)
Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV (2000)
Screamplay (1985)
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
Lifeforce (1985)
3 Extremes II (2002)
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
Ghoulies (1984)
Ghoulies II (1988)
Terror Train (1980)
Bride of Re-Animator (1989)
Deathgasm (2015)
Snowtown (2011)
The Funhouse (1981)
Hush (2016)
Pieces (1982)
A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin (1971)
The New York Ripper (1982)
Demons (1985)
Troll (1986)
Troll 2 (1990)
StageFright (1987)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Return of the Living Dead III (1993)
Opera (1987)
WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
The Thing (1982)

Ridley327

StageFright is awesome. It's a no-bullshit slasher with the heart and soul of a giallo.

I should come up with an 80s recommendation list for you guys, but I fear most of it will be spent yelling at you guys to watch Paperhouse.

Watch Paperhouse!

MattyH

StageFright is awesome. It's a no-bullshit slasher with the heart and soul of a giallo.

I should come up with an 80s recommendation list for you guys, but I fear most of it will be spent yelling at you guys to watch Paperhouse.

Watch Paperhouse!

I had paper house on my tivo but I think it got deleted

I watched 20 more episodes of Tales From The Darkside today. Lots of chum to dig through for the gems, but the good episodes make up for it. I think they are all entertaining in one way or another, so it's still pretty fun marathoning the series.

Moofers

I haven't done the full 31 day marathon before (fucking madness if you ask me) but I like watching a handful of horror flicks this time of year and posting about them. That's still cool in here, yeah?

Ridley327

I haven't done the full 31 day marathon before (fucking madness if you ask me) but I like watching a handful of horror flicks this time of year and posting about them. That's still cool in here, yeah?

Sure. I don't think the majority of people are able to keep up all 31 days, but it's always nice to get opinions on films that no one may have seen, or getting fresh perspectives on those that are popular.

Yeah, you're more than welcome to take part. Do try to number your movies though, just to see how many you do watch. I always enjoy seeing how far people get even if they're not going for the full thing.

Moofers

Sure. I don't think the majority of people are able to keep up all 31 days, but it's always nice to get opinions on films that no one may have seen, or getting fresh perspectives on those that are popular.

Yeah, you're more than welcome to take part. Do try to number your movies though, just to see how many you do watch. I always enjoy seeing how far people get even if they're not going for the full thing.

Awesome! In that case, here's what I'm thinking for this year: (only Trick R Treat is a re-watch)

Blair Witch 2016
Hush
Rob Zombie's 31
The Ring vs The Grudge (if I can find a legit way to watch the import with subtitles)
The Blob 1988
Trick R Treat

That's just for starters. I'm hoping to maybe pick up a couple more from this thread!

kaskade

I'm probably never going to make it through 31 but here's my list so far Anything with the R next to it is a rewatch. If anyone would like to add some, please do. I'm not much of a horror movie guy.

1. - [ ] Trick ‘r Treat
  2. - [ ] Friday the 13th Part 3
  3. - [ ] Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
  4. - [ ] Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
  5. - [ ] Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
  6. - [ ] Friday the 13th Part VII: A New Blood
  7. - [ ] Jason X
  8. - [ ] Evil Dead (2013) (R)
  9. - [ ] Dawn of the Dead (2004) (R)
  10. - [ ] The Cabin in the Woods (R)
  11. - [ ] The Babadook
  12. - [ ] You’re Next
  13. - [ ] The Conjuring 2
  14. - [ ] The Neon Demon
  15. - [ ] The Purge:Election Year
  16. - [ ] The Shining (R)
  17. - [ ] Psycho
  18. - [ ] The Witch
  19. - [ ] Re-Animator
  20. - [ ] The Thing
  21. - [ ] Army of Darkness
  22. - [ ] The Exorcist
  23. - [ ] Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Here's my tentative list. If it gets any longer, I'll probably get discouraged. All these are first time views:

1. Evil Dead 2
2. Army of Darkness
3. Drag Me to Hell
4. Alien 3
5. Terminator
6. The Gift
7. Spring
8. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
9. They Live
10. Halloween
11. The Thing (2011)
12. Event Horizon
13. Blair Witch Project
14. The Last Man on Earth
15. Hush

Yeah, I know some of those aren't horror but they could be scary to someone.

Aikidoka

I've been looking for some "cosmic horror" media. For example, I just read Uzumaki by Junji ito. Does anyone have any movies that fall in the same sub-genre?

edit: If you're not familiar with Uzumaki, then it's in the same sub-genre as Lovecraft's works from my understanding.
Also, there's actually a live-action movie done of the same name based on the manga, Uzumaki. I haven't watched but I rather enjoyed the book, so the movie may be worth checking out for this marathon.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Demons (1985)

giphy.gif

I've been looking for some "cosmic horror" media. For example, I just read Uzumaki by Junji ito. Does anyone have any movies that fall in the same sub-genre?

From Beyond

Ridley327

edit: If you're not familiar with Uzumaki, then it's in the same sub-genre as Lovecraft's works from my understanding.
Also, there's actually a live-action movie done of the same name based on the manga, Uzumaki. I haven't watched but I rather enjoyed the book, so the movie may be worth checking out for this marathon.

I don't want to say how and why it's a cosmic horror film, but for a less known take of good quality, Horror Express fits the bill really nicely.

RangerX

Banned
Huge horror fan here! This is my first time doing this.

I just watched We are still here. I was impressed. Good atmosphere and took a turn I wasn't expecting. The last 20 mins were excellent.

Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV (2000)
Lifeforce (1985)
Bride of Re-Animator (1989)
Deathgasm (2015)
Pieces (1982)
The New York Ripper (1982)
Demons (1985)
Troll (1986)
Troll 2 (1990)
StageFright (1987)
Return of the Living Dead III (1993)

Oh my god, what a crazy month.

I'm surprised you haven't seen Return of the Living Dead yet.

Oh my god, what a crazy month.

I'm surprised you haven't seen Return of the Living Dead yet.

I know. My friend who's been a horror fan for like 30 years or so has been telling me to watch it for years. I had about 18 or so film decided and went to my friend's apartment to help him box shit up and move and he helped me finish out the list while lending me most of the films I'm watching. His dvd/BR/vhs collection of horror movies alone is absolutely disgusting.

I know. My friend who's been a horror fan for like 30 years or so has been telling me to watch it for years. I had about 18 or so film decided and went to my friend's apartment to help him box shit up and move and he helped me finish out the list while lending me most of the films I'm watching. His dvd/BR/vhs collection of horror movies alone is absolutely disgusting.

You should check out Return of the Living Dead Part II since you have 1 and 3 there, if you can.

It's not a great movie, but I personally think it's pretty underrated. I love the way they treat the zombies as indestructible, rotting corpses, not the boring virus crap we have in modern zombie stuff. There's some really fun fx gags in it.

There's also a great zombies rising from their graves sequence. Remember those? God, I miss those.

Also, Beyond Re-Animator if you can. Another one I think is underrated. I personally prefer it over Bride.

You should check out Return of the Living Dead Part II since you have 1 and 3 there, if you can.

It's not a great movie, but I personally think it's pretty underrated. I love the way they treat the zombies as indestructible, rotting corpses, not the boring virus crap we have in modern zombie stuff. There's some really fun fx gags in it.

There's also a great zombies rising from their graves sequence. Remember those? God, I miss those.

Also, Beyond Re-Animator if you can. Another one I think is underrated. I personally prefer it over Bride.

I'm definitely planning on doing those eventually. My buddy recommended skipping Return of the Living Dead Part II and go straight to Part III but i'll hit it up and Beyond Re-animator when I have time. Which probably won't be in October since I get crazy busy at the end of the month which is why I usually cheat
and start at the end of September.

I'm definitely planning on doing those eventually. My buddy recommended skipping Return of the Living Dead Part II and go straight to Part III but i'll hit it up and Beyond Re-animator when I have time. Which probably won't be in October since I get crazy busy at the end of the month which is why I usually cheat
and start at the end of September.

Cool. Luckily you don't have to watch RotLD 2 before 3 since they're not really related, so that should work out just fine. Feel free to skip 4 and 5 though.

I've never seen any of the Romero Zombie movies except a little of Return of the Living Dead, so I think I'll give them a shot this year.

I'm really interested in seeing the Witch from all the positive things I've been hearing from Neogaf.

It's been a while since I've enjoyed a modern horror movie.

Ridley327

I've never seen any of the Romero Zombie movies except a little of Return of the Living Dead, so I think I'll give them a shot this year.

I'm really interested in seeing the Witch from all the positive things I've been hearing from Neogaf.

Good news: you still haven't seen any Romero zombie movies if you watch any length of a RotLD film!

Return isn't a Romero movie, even though the movie itself wants you to think it's a sequel.

It's actually based on a novel by John A. Russo, who co-wrote Night of the Living Dead with Romero, so it does have a connection there - though my understanding is that the filmmakers threw out everything but the title, so it bears little to no resemblance to the novel.

I finished another 20 episodes of Tales From the Darkside today. Only 24 more left in the series! I watched 55 episodes in 3 workdays so far.

Ridley327

Return isn't a Romero movie, even though the movie itself wants you to think it's a sequel.

It's actually based on a novel by John A. Russo, who co-wrote Night of the Living Dead with Romero, so it does have a connection there - though my understanding is that the filmmakers threw out everything but the title, so it bears little to no resemblance to the novel.

Pretty much, though it was one of those situations where the author was all for it. Amusingly, Russo also wrote the novelization of the movie.

You know, I've before been a little curious about Russo's original "Return of the Living Dead" novel, but if the scenes he added for NOTLD's 30th anniversary are any indication of its quality then yikes!

You know, I've before been a little curious about Russo's original "Return of the Living Dead" novel, but if the scenes he added for NOTLD's 30th anniversary are any indication of its quality then yikes!

I don't think it's currently in print and I never went through the trouble of tracking down a used copy, but I haven't heard good things about it.

Alright, looking to expand my horizons a bit this year. Huge horror fan, I've seen a lot of the mandatory stuff but I feel like there's a lot I haven't seen.

I don't respond well to gore or violence-- it doesn't turn me off or make me think lesser of a horror movie, but I don't really look for that kind of stuff. I like supernatural, psychological, etc. If that comes with some violence, fine, whatever, I don't mind it, but it's not like I look for it or need it.

I guess I should make a sort of list of my favorites in order to get recommendations, in no order.

ALIEN
Halloween
The Exorcist
Blair Witch Project, Blair Witch (2016)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Babadook
Paranormal Activity, Paranormal Activity 3
The Conjuring and The Conjuring 2
The Witch
Suspiria
Friday the 13th and Friday the 13th Part 2
The Others
Let the Right One In
Insidious, Insidious: Chapter 3

This is my ilk. There's slashers, there's paranormal, found footage, etc. I like these as I find them atmospheric, scary, creepy, thought-provoking. I tried to group the sequels/franchise stuff together, but The Conjuring 2 is honestly my film of the year so far because of how well made it is, acted, written, just everything about it was absolutely phenomenal. I could say the same about The Witch, and the new Blair Witch was very effective for me as well.

And there's some favorites that I don't particularly care for. Was never a fan of The Thing, and I can't tell you why. It's good, it's pretty cool, it's pretty effective, but I just still don't give one shit about it. I thought It Follows was absolutely fucking terrible as it didn't scare me or just didn't do anything for me in general and I thought the story gassed out and didn't go anywhere. Just a very bleh film to me.

So there's some of my taste, and I'm looking to add to "the list."

StageFright: Aquarius (1987) - Since you like Suspiria and slashers.
Session 9 - Since you like creepy, atmospheric stuff.
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh - Ditto.
In the Mouth of Madness - I guess this would fall under psychological.
Maniac (both the original and the remake) - I'd call it a psychological slasher.
Candyman - Ditto.
Kill List - Go into it without reading or watching anything.
Dead and Buried - Because it's awesome.

That's just what came to the top of my head (and mostly stuff I've watched during the marathon. I'm sure I'm missing some good stuff, but oh well.

GhaleonEB

Alright, looking to expand my horizons a bit this year. Huge horror fan, I've seen a lot of the mandatory stuff but I feel like there's a lot I haven't seen.

I don't respond well to gore or violence-- it doesn't turn me off or make me think lesser of a horror movie, but I don't really look for that kind of stuff. I like supernatural, psychological, etc. If that comes with some violence, fine, whatever, I don't mind it, but it's not like I look for it or need it.

I guess I should make a sort of list of my favorites in order to get recommendations, in no order.

ALIEN
Halloween
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Babadook
The Witch
Suspiria
The Others
Let the Right One In

This is my ilk. There's slashers, there's paranormal, found footage, etc. I like these as I find them atmospheric, scary, creepy, thought-provoking. I tried to group the sequels/franchise stuff together, but The Conjuring 2 is honestly my film of the year so far because of how well made it is, acted, written, just everything about it was absolutely phenomenal. I could say the same about The Witch, and the new Blair Witch was very effective for me as well.

And there's some favorites that I don't particularly care for. Was never a fan of The Thing, and I can't tell you why. It's good, it's pretty cool, it's pretty effective, but I just still don't give one shit about it. I thought It Follows was absolutely fucking terrible as it didn't scare me or just didn't do anything for me in general and I thought the story gassed out and didn't go anywhere. Just a very bleh film to me.

Lake Mungo - less a horror film than a very haunting, atmospheric piece with horror elements. I find it deeply unsettling, but definitely a slow burn. It's done in a documentary (not found footage) style. It's a favorite of mine.

House of the Devil - Excellent slow-burn horror, with a pretty authentic 70's sheen on it.

The Taking of Deborah Logan (streaming on Netflix) - similar in that it is documentary style (from a film crew), doing a study of a woman with Alzheimer's. It has an incredible lead performance and a good, creepy build up, though I personally thought it stumbles a bit in the third act.

Honeymoon - a recent watch of mine on Netflix streaming. The less you know going in, the better, but I enjoyed it. One of the leads is Rose Leslie from Game of Thrones, and she's excellent. The film is almost entirely about two people on a secluded honeymoon in a cabin by a lake. It does not go well.

[REC] is also a great found footage film.

Have you seen Trick'r Treat, or Cabin in the Woods? Both favorites of mine, for different reasons.

ALIEN
Halloween
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Babadook
The Witch
Suspiria
The Others
Let the Right One In

Rosemary's Baby
The Haunting (1963)
Don't Look Now
Nosferatu (1978)
Repulsion
Blood and Black Lace
The Orphanage
The Fog (1981)
The Brood

Session 9 - Since you like creepy, atmospheric stuff.
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh - Ditto.
Maniac (both the original and the remake) - I'd call it a psychological slasher.
Candyman - Ditto.

House of the Devil - Excellent slow-burn horror, with a pretty authentic 70's sheen on it.

The Taking of Deborah Logan (streaming on Netflix) - similar in that it is documentary style (from a film crew), doing a study of a woman with Alzheimer's. It has an incredible lead performance and a good, creepy build up, though I personally thought it stumbles a bit in the third act.

[REC] is also a great found footage film.

Rosemary's Baby
The Haunting (1963)
The Orphanage
The Fog (1981)

Okay, so I have seen all the ones I've kept edited into these posts except for the ones I've bolded, which I've seen on Netflix and can check out easily. Thanks for that.

Loved REC.

lordxar

ALIEN
Halloween
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Babadook
The Witch
Suspiria
The Others
Let the Right One In

The Legend of Hell House
The Innkeepers
House of the Devil
The House That Dripped Blood
Absentia

Top Bottom