• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

I'm right with you. The old Blu looks like it was taken from old print, only to then be administered some DNR for further injury.

And that classic mid 2000's red push that kinda takes away from the chilliness of the film. Like its a horror movie set in Antarctica, that would be the last film I could imagine to lean on that color grade.

I got The Blair Witch Project in the mail today and I'm really impressed by the Blu-ray transfer for a found footage film that was shot almost 20 years ago. The sound quality is also very good, with decent sound effects atmospherically in the woods.

It was $6.99 on Amazon for anyone interested.

I got The Blair Witch Project in the mail today and I'm really impressed by the Blu-ray transfer for a found footage film that was shot almost 20 years ago. The sound quality is also very good, with decent sound effects atmospherically in the woods.

It was $6.99 on Amazon for anyone interested.

I picked it up a couple of weeks ago, I'm glad that Curse of the Blair Witch was also included.

J-Roderton

Here it is. Going to go for a ton of stuff that I have never seen.

Bold are rewatches.

Should I keep Army of Darkness on here? I've heard it's not really a horror.

1. The Last Man On Earth - MANDATORY
2. The Woman In Black
3. The Strangers
4. It Follows
5. Halloween
6. Creature From The Black Lagoon
7. Friday The 13th
8. The Evil Dead (1981)
9. Session 9
10. The Exorcist
11. The Phantom Carriage
12. Inferno
13. Nosferatu
14. Night Of The Living Dead
15. Re-Animator
16. Hush - MANDATORY
17. Basketcase
18. Just Before Dawn
19. Sleepaway Camp
20. Psycho
21. They Look Like People
22. Pumpkinhead
23. Annabelle
24. Halloween 3: Season of The Witch
25. Children of The Corn
26. A Nightmare On Elm Street
27. The Conjuring 2
28. Eyes Without A Face
29. The Thing
30. Army of Darkness
31. Trick' R Treat

Here's my Letterboxd account. I'll be logging films there as well.

https://letterboxd.com/Jroderton/

suberzat

Sooo I'm suppose to make up my own list got it.

I not sure if I will to one movie a day but I can do 31 in a month with watching multi movies on certain days

Sooo I'm suppose to make up my own list got it.

I not sure if I will to one movie a day but I can do 31 in a month with watching multi movies on certain days

Yup. Watching a film a day is asking a lot. I'm even starting tomorrow since I know I'm not going to be able to watch anything the last 3 days in October.

lordxar

If you pile up on the weekends it's not bad. Like I blew through all six Chucky movies over Saturday and Sunday. Plus a lot of horror movies are only 90 minutes so a double feature every so often is also feasible. Tonight I will be watching something that's 78 minutes over supper. It's just all in how you fit them in.

An-Det

This is my tentative list, in no particular order (besides Rifftrax Live: Carnival of Souls, since that's a live show). Only Dead Snow and 30 Days of Night are technically rewatches, though I remember nothing of either (I fell asleep early on when watching Dead Snow since I was super tired, and I have zero recollection of the other); everything else is new to me. I've already seen Hush, really liked it, so hopefully others enjoy it. I watched Noroi: The Curse at some point a few years ago (highly recommended), and have meant to watch some of his other movies ever since.

1 The Last Man on Earth
2 Cult (Kôji Shiraishi)
3 Occult (Kôji Shiraishi)
4 Spring (2014)
5 Area 51
6 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
7 Cujo
8 Stephen King’s Cat’s Eye
9 Tommyknockers
10 Bag of Bones
11 Kansen
12 Jaws
13 Tag
14 One Missed Call
15 Misery
16 Dead Alive
17 Ichi the Killer
18 Hostel
19 Dead Snow
20 Cannibal Holocaust
21 Tokyo Gore Police
22 Maniac (1980)
23 Sleep Tight
24 Them (ils)
25 An American Werewolf in London
26 30 Days of Night
27 Rifftrax Live: Carnival of Souls
28 The Brood
29 High Tension
30 Odd Thomas
31 Neon Demon

Changed my mind and decided to make a list this year. I'm sure this will change quite a bit as I'm actually going through, both the order and what I'm watching, but this will serve as a good roadmap in general. There's no unifying theme, but as you can see there's a strong Italian horror/gialli bias to the list with a lot of Bava, Fulci, and Argento. I'm going through their films chronologically and then throwing in random other films to break them up as I go along, finally ending on a nice gothic haunted house film that I have heard compared favorably to The Haunting, which means I will probably love it.

All of these are first time viewings, but I'm sure some rewatches will sneak in here or there as I go along. Since this isn't locked in at all, if you have any suggestions on either movies to add/replace or changes to the order feel free to let me know!

1) The Whip and the Body (Mario Bava, 1963)
2) The Last Man on Earth (Ubaldo Ragona & Sidney Salkow, 1964)
3) Kill, Baby, Kill (Mario Bava, 1966)
4) Spider Baby (Jack Hill, 1967)
5) Five Dolls for an August Moon (Mario Bava, 1970)
6) The Wailing (Na Hong-jin, 2016)
7) Hatchet for a Honeymoon (Mario Bava, 1970)
8) Jigoku (Nobuo Nakagawa, 1960)
9) Death Walks on High Heels (Luciano Ercoli, 1971)
10) A Bay of Blood (Mario Bava, 1971)
11) The Cat O'Nine Tails (Dario Argento, 1971)
12) Don't Torture a Duckling (Lucio Fulci, 1972)
13) White Zombie (Victor Gordon Halperin, 1932)
14) What Have You Done to Solange? (Massimo Dallamano, 1972)
15) Baron Blood (Mario Bava, 1972)
16) Haxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922)
17) Lisa and the Devil (Mario Bava, 1973)
18) Torso (Sergio Martino, 1973)
19) Deep Red (Dario Argento, 1975)
20) Shivers (David Cronenberg, 1975)
21) The Driller Killer (Abel Ferrera, 1979)
22) City of the Living Dead (Lucio Fulci, 1980)
23) Cannibal Holocaust (Ruggero Deodato, 1980)
24) Bloody Birthday (Ed Hunt, 1981)
25) The Beyond (Lucio Fulci, 1981)
26) Sleepaway Camp (Robert Hiltzick, 1983)
27) Demons (Lamberto Bava, 1985)
28) Hush (Mike Flanagan, 2016)
29) Pulse (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2001)
30) Opera (Dario Argento, 1987)
31) The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)

Changed my mind and decided to make a list this year. I'm sure this will change quite a bit as I'm actually going through, both the order and what I'm watching, but this will serve as a good roadmap in general. There's no unifying theme, but as you can see there's a strong Italian horror/gialli bias to the list with a lot of Bava, Fulci, and Argento. I'm going through their films chronologically and then throwing in random other films to break them up as I go along, finally ending on a nice gothic haunted house film that I have heard compared favorably to The Haunting, which means I will probably love it.

• Damn, that's a lot of Italian movies. Glad to see you got Torso in there, that one is really underrated.

Damn, that's a lot of Italian movies. Glad to see you got Torso in there, that one is really underrated.

heh yeah I wanted to at least attempt some semblance of a theme/order this year to go all out. Went with Italian horror after loving Suspiria, and the three Bava films I've already seen.

Pretty good lists in here. So far I have

Don't Look Now
Possession
Halloween
The Thing
Romero Dead trilogy
Suspiria (in theaters hell yeah)
The Witch

In the pipeline. Would have thrown prince of darkness and mouth of madness in but I just saw those again recently. Gonna look through this thread for stuff I haven't seen yet. Can't just do rewatches

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I always try to participate but never end up doing it. I cant commit to a movie a night unfortunately, got too much shit with my little free time :/

Ill try to sneak some in tho, I already did today (and its not even October!) by finally watching The Babadook.

Might go something like this:

Nightmare on Elm street 1
Nightmare on Elm street 3
Halloween
Trick r Treat
VHS 1
VHS 2
VHS 3
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Return of the living Dead(one of my favorite movies ever)
Suspiria
28 Days Later
Scream
Shaun of the Dead
Rec 2
Aliens 2
The Thing(Kurt Russell)
Blair Witch
Repulsion
Invasion of the body snatchers
The Conjuring
Orphanage
It Follows
Jacobs Ladder
In the mouth of madness
30 Days of night
Cabin in the woods
The host
Orphan
The ring
The Mist
Friday the 13th

Pretty good lists in here. So far I have

Don't Look Now
Possession
Halloween
The Thing
Romero Dead trilogy
Suspiria (in theaters hell yeah)
The Witch

In the pipeline. Would have thrown prince of darkness and mouth of madness in but I just saw those again recently. Gonna look through this thread for stuff I haven't seen yet. Can't just do rewatches

Those are some mighty fine rewatches tho. So jealous of Suspiria in theaters, that new Bluray restoration can't come fast enough.

Like I said earlier, I rarely tie myself down to a set list, usually preferring instead to decide based on what I'm in the mood for that night. This is also limited strictly to stuff I've never seen before. That said, I do have a few I'll definitely watch:

Southbound
Clown
The Wailing

I'll also probably try to do the thread's two shared films.

Other possibilities include:

My Little Eye
Antibirth
The Purge: Election Year
Neon Demon
Viral
Final Project
Carnage Park
The Other Side of the Door
Sweet Home
They're Watching
They Look Like People
Emelie
Black Mountain Side
Howl
Deep Dark
Midnight Meat Train
Lumberjack Man (Adam Sessler!)
Bone Tomahawk
Last Shift
Final Girls
Lost After Dark
Para Elisa
The Diabolical
Pod
Killers
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Squad
Extraterrestrial
Cold Sweat
Tokyo Gore Police
Wolf Creek
A Field in England
Tank 432 (if I can find it)
Bite
Tunnel
Eva's Possessions
The Last Heist
The Pack
Deathgasm
Darling
Extraordinary Tales
Maggie
Here Comes the Devil
Contracted
We Are What We Are

I also like to try to put together weirdly-specific themed double features. For instance:

Vampire horror comedies: Bloodsucking Bastards + What We Do in the Shadows
Foreign zombie films: What We Become + Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead
Artsy surreal French horror: Horsehead + Livid
Hoodie Horror: Ils(Them) + Eden Lake
Weird, creepy dudes: Creep + Maniac

ehead

I've been a fan of this thread for years. Now that I'm able to post, I'm thinking of joining. I just saw Psycho (what a terrifying movie) for the first time last weekend and I feel I need more horror movies. I'll be editing my post soon to gather more movies to watch.

J-Roderton

Damn! It's almost October. I'm going to try to knock out two on Saturday.

You should probably have Evil Dead 2 in there if you're going to watch Evil Dead and Army of Darkness, imo.

Yeah I may go ahead and put it there. Only added AoD since it's the only one I haven't seen yet.

So i randomly watched Knock Knock on Hulu last night

...you know what? Its legit first half hour or so is handled rather alright. Once
the threesome
happens, the film just goes nowhere and is utterly pointless. That and the antagonists aren't intimidating at all, which makes things even worse later on.
I can see why Keaunu wanted to play against type, but he needed a much better script and competent director. He's not bad, just misdirected.... badly in spots.

FYI, film is considered a "horror erotic thriller" so thats why i thought I'd chime in. I wont count it towards my month tally tho...

So i randomly watched Knock Knock on Hulu last night

...you know what? Its legit first half hour or so is handled rather alright. Once
the threesome
happens, the film just goes nowhere and is utterly pointless. That and the antagonists aren't intimidating at all, which makes things even worse later on.
I can see why Keaunu wanted to play against type, but he needed a much better script and competent director. He's not bad, just misdirected.... badly in spots.

FYI, film is considered a "horror erotic thriller" so thats why i thought I'd chime in. I wont count it towards my month tally tho...

I absolutely hated that movie. Felt like such a waste of time.

Blader

Here's what I've settled on for now:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Videodrome
Blood and Black Lace
Sisters
Poltergeist ('82)
They Live
Re-Animator
Carrie
Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
House on Haunted Hill
Theatre of Blood
Wait Until Dark
The Thing ('86)
Crimson Peak
It Follows

But also thinking of either dropping Crimson Peak or replacing it with something else, not sure.

But also thinking of either dropping Crimson Peak or replacing it with something else, not sure.

I kinda liked Crimson Peak, and think it's worth watching at least for the amazing production design, but it's certainly not as good as the gothic horror it's inspired by.

If you do dump it and want something similar but better, I'd go with the original The Haunting or one of Bava's gothic films like Black Sunday. Apparently The Innocents was also a big inspiration for him on that movie, which I haven't seen but I'm checking out this year. 60's gothic horror adaptation of The Turning of the Screw with a screenplay by Truman Capote sounds like a slam dunk in my book.

lordxar

I loved Crimson Peak but that's mostly because the movie has so much texture you can almost get a splinter from it. The story wasn't great and I can definitely see it being boring. I just loved watching it though.

Blader

So it seems like the verdict is to skip Crimson Peak then :lol

I kinda liked Crimson Peak, and think it's worth watching at least for the amazing production design, but it's certainly not as good as the gothic horror it's inspired by.

If you do dump it and want something similar but better, I'd go with the original The Haunting or one of Bava's gothic films like Black Sunday. Apparently The Innocents was also a big inspiration for him on that movie, which I haven't seen but I'm checking out this year. 60's gothic horror adaptation of The Turning of the Screw with a screenplay by Truman Capote sounds like a slam dunk in my book.

I was thinking of The Haunting. I've heard good things about Black Sunday and Black Sabbath, but I haven't seen any Bavas yet and was going to test the waters with Blood and Black Lace first; and, if I like that, might add some Bavas to next year's list.

I read Turn of the Screw years ago and hated it, so I'm in no rush to check out The Innocents, heh.

I loved Crimson Peak but that's mostly because the movie has so much texture you can almost get a splinter from it. The story wasn't great and I can definitely see it being boring. I just loved watching it though.
I love GDT and I love gothic horror and I enjoy Crimson Peak, especially its story. I think people just wanted more of the same from him, and he decided to do a perfect love letter instead of subvert the genre.

Arguably the best horror in the world if you're into the scene! So many great ones on there.

Yeah, I'm excited. Any I should be particularly looking forward to?

I was thinking of The Haunting. I've heard good things about Black Sunday and Black Sabbath, but I haven't seen any Bavas yet and was going to test the waters with Blood and Black Lace first; and, if I like that, might add some Bavas to next year's list.

I read Turn of the Screw years ago and hated it, so I'm in no rush to check out The Innocents, heh.

I haven't seen The Haunting in years actually, but a good number of scenes are burned in my memory, I loved it. Blood and Black Lace is amazing so there's a good chance it will put you on a Bava kick.

Yeah, I'm excited. Any I should be particularly looking forward to?
In my opinion, most definitely. You're certainly canvasing its best-to-wildest scale, Fulci and Deodato are gross but very enjoyable. They're totally unique I think in the soundtracks, camera choices, lighting, colors, plot expectations and devices, lip syncing, audio redubbing. Very creative material on middling budgets. I guess you've seen Zombie and Tenebre?

I know all of these are extremely fun, I haven't seen the majority of the Bava you chose! Jigoku too, that movie is wonderfully weirdly disturbing.

All of these are first time viewings, but I'm sure some rewatches will sneak in here or there as I go along. Since this isn't locked in at all, if you have any suggestions on either movies to add/replace or changes to the order feel free to let me know!

1) The Whip and the Body (Mario Bava, 1963)
2) The Last Man on Earth (Ubaldo Ragona & Sidney Salkow, 1964)
3) Kill, Baby, Kill (Mario Bava, 1966)
4) Spider Baby (Jack Hill, 1967)
5) Five Dolls for an August Moon (Mario Bava, 1970)
6) The Wailing (Na Hong-jin, 2016)
7) Hatchet for a Honeymoon (Mario Bava, 1970)
8) Jigoku (Nobuo Nakagawa, 1960)
9) Death Walks on High Heels (Luciano Ercoli, 1971)
11) The Cat O'Nine Tails (Dario Argento, 1971)
12) Don't Torture a Duckling (Lucio Fulci, 1972)
13) White Zombie (Victor Gordon Halperin, 1932)
14) What Have You Done to Solange? (Massimo Dallamano, 1972)
15) Baron Blood (Mario Bava, 1972)
16) Haxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922)
17) Lisa and the Devil (Mario Bava, 1973)
18) Torso (Sergio Martino, 1973)
20) Shivers (David Cronenberg, 1975)
21) The Driller Killer (Abel Ferrera, 1979)
24) Bloody Birthday (Ed Hunt, 1981)
28) Hush (Mike Flanagan, 2016)
29) Pulse (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2001)
31) The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)
Excellent list. Tons of 70s Giallo. Cannibal Holocaust is still the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. Don't Torture a Duckling was my second Fulci movie, so I have "fond :p" memories of it. The Innocents isn't THAT scary, but it's definitely a gothic horror classic in my book.

In my opinion, most definitely. You're certainly canvasing its best-to-wildest scale, Fulci and Deodato are gross but very enjoyable. They're totally unique I think in the soundtracks, camera choices, lighting, colors, plot expectations and devices, lip syncing, audio redubbing. Very creative material on middling budgets. I guess you've seen Zombie and Tenebre?

I know all of these are extremely fun, I haven't seen the majority of the Bava you chose! Jigoku too, that movie is wonderfully weirdly disturbing.

I have actually seen neither Zombie nor Tenebre. I particularly wanted to see Tenebre this year, but it wasn't on shudder for streaming which is how I'm watching most of my movies this year.

I was kind of wary about Cannibal Holocaust due to its reputation...but I gotta see it for myself. It calls to me.

lordxar

So it seems like the verdict is to skip Crimson Peak then :lol

Black Sabbath and Black Sunday are awesome. I need to revisit Bay of Blood. It didn't click as much for me but Lisa and the Devil and Hatchet for the Honeymoon definitely did. Still need to see Blood and Black Lace which I think is up on Shudder. They have a bunch of his movies on a list I'm betting goes away in a day so maybe I should marathon his stuff over the next couple days.

Don't Torture a Duckling was my second Fulci movie, so I have "fond :p" memories of it.
I still haven't seen it despite loving most of what I've seen, I should check this and House By the Cemetery out.

I have actually seen neither Zombie nor Tenebre. I particularly wanted to see Tenebre this year, but it wasn't on shudder for streaming which is how I'm watching most of my movies this year.

I was kind of wary about Cannibal Holocaust due to its reputation...but I gotta see it for myself. It calls to me.
Zombie is Fulci's perfect film in my opinion, and Tenebre is one of Argento's best in a time of plenty.

I've seen enough of CH to know I don't need to watch it but enjoy! I'll also add that while I enjoy City of the Living Dead it almost makes me vomit if I watch certain scenes.

lordxar

Cannibal Holocaust isn't that bad....well let me say it wasn't what I expected. There's some really disturbing shit that goes on, no question. Apparently the animal violence really bothers people but if you've ever gone hunting or fishing what they do is equal to cleaning an animal you've caught. So that part wasn't disturbing to me. Quite honestly the movie was definitely fucking violent but the most disturbing stuff to me was the film crew and the shit they did.
I mean if they weren't such dickheads the movie would have been much different.
The first half totally plays like a documentary. The latter part is where shit goes off the rails.

When I got done watching it I thought holy shit was that rough no need to ever revisit it but as time has gone on I find myself enjoying the experience for lack of a better term. I mean the movie is a goddamn classic like the Exorcist or Alien. You get done and once the shock of what you've watched wears off it sinks in just how good this was above and beyond that shock value. Now I'm actually considering buying the bluray.

Zombie is pretty good. Not my favorite Fulci flick, but I liked it well enough. I think City of the Living Dead is better.

Tenebre, to me, is the closest thing to a perfect Giallo movie that I've ever seen.

I keep going back and forth about CH. I can't take the animal cruelty scenes.

Blood and Black Lace is indeed a fantastic film. It's where I started with Bava as well.

I'm hardly an expert on his filmography since I've only seen a few (I'm doing more this year as well), but do try to check out Black Sabbath as well since that may be an even better introduction to his work.

Since it's an anthology film, you get 3 examples of his work. An early giallo (where you can see the groundwork for Blood and Black Lace forming), a classic Gothic vampire story, and what I guess you would call a more contemporary (for 1963...) morality tale.

Obviously none of the stories are as fleshed out as a full movie, but I think it gives you a good idea of the various styles and themes he used over the years. Great movie.

Definitely bummed Tenebrae isn't a part of my marathon this year then since I can't seem to find it available to stream anywhere...hopefully the other Argento's will make up for it though.

Cannibal Holocaust sounds like it will be an experience at the very least. Very curious about it.

Ridley327

Definitely bummed Tenebrae isn't a part of my marathon this year then since I can't seem to find it available to stream anywhere...hopefully the other Argento's will make up for it though.

Cannibal Holocaust sounds like it will be an experience at the very least. Very curious about it.

"Experience" is a good way to describe the film. Like it or not, it's impossible to be indifferent to it.

I'm a big zombie guy and I credit the Italian zombie flicks for bringing me from a causal horror fan to the type of person who would do something like a 31 day horror marathon.

Because of that I'm pretty sure I've seen all of the notable Spaghetti Zombie flicks, only missing some obscure ones like Zeder. Zombi 2/Zombie is hands down the best of the bunch. I love that flick.

Too bad you couldn't get Tenebre. It's my personal favourite giallo (though I am a bit biased since it was the first one I saw) and out of what I've seen, I consider it Argento's best film overall. Deep Red is a close second though, so you have that to enjoy.

Top Bottom