• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

gabbo

I have actually seen neither Zombie nor Tenebre. I particularly wanted to see Tenebre this year, but it wasn't on shudder for streaming which is how I'm watching most of my movies this year.

I was kind of wary about Cannibal Holocaust due to its reputation...but I gotta see it for myself. It calls to me.

Zombi is not a particularly scary film, but the effects are quite good and so is the soundtrack

Ridley327

Arrow Films sale aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Blood and Black Lace = $10 and change, $16.84 if you want the steelbook (which I own and can confirm is beautiful)

It's worth mentioning that not everything they have is region A friendly, so a little research is in order for anyone interested to see which movies are region free.

Oh nice, those are really good prices. Probably gonna order A Bay of Blood, and possibly The Beyond and/or City of the Living Dead. Is Fulci a safe bet if I really like Bava?

Ridley327

Oh nice, those are really good prices. Probably gonna order A Bay of Blood, and possibly The Beyond and/or City of the Living Dead. Is Fulci a safe bet if I really like Bava?
Not really, no. At his best, Fulci utilizes a thick but somewhat grounded atmosphere to generate mood and puts a lot of emphasis on very protracted and very, very gory death scenes.

SeanC

I'm officially starting tonight with a rewatch of Night of the Creeps. I cannot wait.

One of my favs.

circlegunning.gif

Divius

I'm gonna be off to a great start because October 1st I will be too busy to watch anything. Sunday and Monday are mostly filled up as well, but I *might* be able to squeeze something in there. Luckily my Tuesday is totally open so I'm gonna cram it with horror.

glow

Banned

His movies are less coherent than Bava but better in terms of atmosphere, visuals and gore.

I think I'm going to start tonight by watching The Beyond during my flight. Then I'll probably be too occupied to watch anymore until Monday.

Just found out that the Alamo near me is having a showing of Candyman with Tony Todd with Tony Todd in the director in attendance. Added to my list.

For those still trying to figure out what to watch, may I suggest one of my favorite "so bad it's good" movies of all time? It's called...

d06273d7cab740d8257f815e2d503274.jpg

The story follows an hungry-driven creature from a nearby alien planet sent down onto Earthy via satellite and ends up inside a household where three kids must take care of it before it goes into a hungry killing rampage

A luck would have it, the movie is available for free on YouTube.

If you love 80s camp, I think you'll dig this.

Night of the Creeps is the BEST! I'll watch it tonight as well for the zillionth time. I often write with it playing in the background it's so entertaining.

I think Fulci is way less concerned with plot.

Gameboy415

♪It's the most wonderful time of the year!♪

I've discovered so many amazing new movies thanks to 31 Days of Horror and I'm psyched to participate in my favorite thread for the 6th year in a row! :D

After 2 years of watching over 31 horror movies I totally dropped the ball last year and barely made it through Season 1 of Masters of Horror. :S

I've been stocking up on horror DVDs, Blu-Rays, and even VHS over the last year and have plenty to choose from this October! :D

q5gz3LE.jpg

overcast

I cheated and just threw a bunch of movies together. My GF and I have a bunch to watch in general. So I am going to see how many of these we can do. The bolded are rewatches. Anything not bolded I have not seen. I watched a lot of horror flicks at a young age and don't

1) Evil Dead
2) Evil Dead 2
3) Evil Dead (2013)
4) Drag Me to Hell
5) Hush
6) You're Next
7) Exorcist
8) Exorcist 2
9) The Thing
10) The Descent
11) Scream
12) Scream 2
13) Sinister
14) Videodrome
15) The Fly
16) Crimson Peak
17) The Devils Backbone
18) Cronos
19) Shaun of the Dead
20) Krampus
21) Hellraiser
22) Rosemary's Baby
23) Carrie
24) Suspiria
25) Fright Night
26) Texas Chainsaw Massacre
27) The Conjuring
28) The Conjuring 2
29) What We Do In The Shadows
30) 28 Days Later
31) Halloween

Extras because we'll probably pick and choose.
Poltergeist
A Girl Walks Home At Night
Honeymoon
[REC]
Audition
Kill List
The Babadook
The Fog
IT
They Live
Lights Out
Blair Witch Project

Slugs arrived today so I'm finally ready. I say this every year, but I really think this is going to be the best horrorthon ever. Just a little over 24 hours to go!

Edit: that Cheerios box knows what's up.

Fox Mulder

Gonna start tonight when amazon delivers my box of hammers.

Hammer horror films have been a gap I've been meaning to watch for years but never do.

Next year I think I might do a Universal/Hammer mashup and see how the two compare. I've only seen 4 or 5 of the Universal horror films and none of the Hammer.

Next year I think I might do a Universal/Hammer mashup and see how the two compare. I've only seen 4 or 5 of the Universal horror films and none of the Hammer.

Sounds like a fun idea, if you do go through with this remember to include the non-Universal Jekyll and Hyde. It came out the same year as Dracula and really exposes that film for the dull production it is. I watched it during last year's 31 days of horror and I was really impressed by its technical merits. The rest of the film isn't no slouch either, it even won an Oscar for acting.

hiredhand

I guess I might as well take part in this thing this year.

I'm taking part in the marathon partly to get rid of some of my dvd/blu-ray backlog so I'm not too strict on genre classifications.

I whipped up a preliminary list of possible films. All the films are first watches. Films are not in any particular order.

1. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (Terence Fisher, 1974)
2. The Lost World (Harry O. Hoyt, 1925)
3. Cat People (Jacques Tourneur, 1942)
4. Cat People (Paul Schrader, 1982)
5. Dementia (John Parker, 1955)
6. Passion (Brian De Palma, 2012)
7. Wake in Fright (Ted Kotcheff, 1971)
8. Zombi Holocaust (Marino Girolami, 1980)
9. Graduation Day (Herb Freed, 1981)
10. Antiviral (Brandon Cronenberg, 2012)
11. Bitter Feast (Joe Maggio, 2010)
12. Red White & Blue (Simon Rumley, 2010)
13. The Card Player (Dario Argento, 2004)
14. Evilspeak (Eric Weston, 1981)
15. Dead of Winter (Arthur Penn, 1987)
16. The Man from Deep River (Umberto Lenzi, 1972)
17. Alien 2 - On Earth (Ciro Ippolito, 1980)
18. Bloodstained Shadow (Antonio Bido, 1978)
19. Ichi the Killer (Takashi Miike, 2001)
20. The Visitor (Giulio Paradisi, 1979)
21. What Have You Done to Solange? (Massimo Dallamano, 1972)
22. Spirits of the Dead (Fellini, Malle & Vadim, 1968)
23. Puzzle (Duccio Tessari, 1974)
24. Hot Love & Horror Heaven (two shorts by Jörg Buttgereit, 1985 & 1984)
25. Circle (Aaron Hann & Mario Miscione, 2015)
26. Mad Love (Karl Freund, 1935)
27. The Devil-Doll (Tod Browning, 1936)
28. The Angry Red Planet (Ib Melchior, 1959)
29. Deadly Friend (Wes Craven, 1986)

...and the mandatory ones:
30. The Last Man on Earth (Ubaldo Ragona & Sidney Salkow, 1964)
31. Hush (Mike Flanagan, 2016)

Ridley327

The time is soon at hand, so I might as well get things started properly.

Films for October 1: I kick off HHMM2016 in grand fashion with a triple-header! Arguably, few classic monsters benefited from the technical advances that the 80s brought than the werewolf, in which transformations could now be done entirely in the camera without any need for time lapse photography or lens tricks. But what's a guy to do when they already adore An American Werewolf in London and diving into the sequels to The Howling is akin to walking into a live minefield while you're slathered in killer bees? We kick things off with Wolfen, the other other werewolf film of 1981, in which the procedural aspect to the story looks to be the biggest thing to help set it apart from its more famous cousins. Next comes The Beast Within, which promises to be what would happen if Teen Wolf was trying to be a horror movie, with a veritable murderer's row of character actors to help move things along. Finally, Neil Jordan makes his first contribution to horror filmmaking with his update on the classic Little Red Riding Hood fable in The Company of Wolves. Depending on where things go for the day, there could even be a rewatch of another werewolf film in the cards, but we'll see where I'm at after the first three attacks!

Zombine

Banned
So I cheated a little bit, but I had to knowing that we wouldn't be around much this weekend. Kicked off the season already with Dead Alive and Sleep Away Camp.

Dead Alive (Braindead) is a genuinely amazing film. It's probably one of Peter Jackson's best films becuse of how refreshing and silly it is. In parts, the film definitely does scare and the zombie design is great. The gross set pieces are superb and my friends who haven't seen it got a kick out of the movie.

I don't have much to say about Sleep Away Camp. I'm familiar with the area in which it was filmed so I know the landmarks, but I was really high when I watched this. The film is terrible, but in the moment the reveal at the end blew my fucking mind. I couldn't process what I was seeing and it just genuinely left me speechless. This is an inherently weird movie at its core, but it's not one I feel compelled to watch again.

SeanC

Jumped the gun and watched Blood and Black lace a bit early.

The new Blu Ray is like watching it new. Last I saw it was a crummy DVD (that I think was English-dubbed also, hard to remember) and I think that now, maybe, it might be my favorite Bava. At least based on visuals and it's obvious influence that would be on Argento in the years to come. The scene in the mannequin shop is particularly a standout. The lighting. The use of shadows. The creepy still figures. That scene alone is like a masterclass of tension and how to hold an audience in the palm of your hand - something that should be shown in classes alongside the best of Hitchcock or Carpenter.

The only downside is really the plot. It's kind of messy with some dull characters (and a lot of them just throwaway, even our lead detective that feels too irrelevant and honestly doesn't do a lot) but the strong tone, atmosphere and directing is top-tier and carries a strong Italian giallo.

Blood and Black Lace is A+ suspense filmmaking, and probably my favorite Bava I've seen as well. We'll see if that gets topped though with the massive amount of Bava I'm watching this marathon!

Sounds like a fun idea, if you do go through with this remember to include the non-Universal Jekyll and Hyde. It came out the same year as Dracula and really exposes that film for the dull production it is. I watched it during last year's 31 days of horror and I was really impressed by its technical merits. The rest of the film isn't no slouch either, it even won an Oscar for acting.

I think I may have seen that one actually, but it's been ages. I'll def keep it in mind though, as I don't remember a thing about it.

SeanC

It was filmed in English though.

But that track was never used and it was dubbed in Italian. I watched a re-dub, I think, years ago of people re-doing the English lines. Italian filmmaking of that era has an odd way to go about recording/shooting/re-dubbing stuff.

I didn't check the disc options to see if there's an English version for a dub, though. I just watched it in Italian as it's known as an Italian film.

But that track was never used and it was dubbed in Italian. I watched a re-dub, I think, years ago of people re-doing the English lines. Italian filmmaking of that era has an odd way to go about recording/shooting/re-dubbing stuff.

I didn't check the disc options to see if there's an English version for a dub, though. I just watched it in Italian as it's known as an Italian film.

The arrow Bluray does have an English option as well. The commentary track plays over the enlish version though which surprised me, because I just assumed the film was only in Italian since I didn't look at the soundtrack options before watching it.

I don't have much to say about Sleep Away Camp. I'm familiar with the area in which it was filmed so I know the landmarks, but I was really high when I watched this. The film is terrible, but in the moment the reveal at the end blew my fucking mind. I couldn't process what I was seeing and it just genuinely left me speechless. This is an inherently weird movie at its core, but it's not one I feel compelled to watch again.
HAH that's exactly how I felt.

"Oh, movie is almost over. Not bad but also not great, more lik- WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED" Probably one of my favorite endings ever.

About Blood and Black Lace and other gialli of that periond:

In most, if not all cases for Italian movies then, the actors would speak whatever language they knew on set, so you could have any combination of languages from Italian to English, to Spanish, whatever. They wouldn't record that audio and would redub it for every market, including Italy.

So, there's often no "true" language. Usually since they had American or UK actors headline the pictures (and often had those actors do their own dubbing) the English track is the closest to a true audio track.

For gialli, I usually go right to the Enlgish track, unless it has extended scenes that were never dubbed reinserted in modern releases (like Deep Red) or takes place in Italy.

About Blood and Black Lace and other gialli of that periond:

In most, if not all cases for Italian movies then, the actors would speak whatever language they knew on set, so you could have any combination of languages from Italian to English, to Spanish, whatever. They wouldn't record that audio and would redub it for every market, including Italy.

So, there's often no "true" language. Usually since they had American or UK actors headline the pictures (and often had those actors do their own dubbing) the English track is the closest to a true audio track.

For gialli, I usually go right to the Enlgish track, unless it has extended scenes that were never dubbed reinserted in modern releases (like Deep Red) or takes place in Italy.

I was going to make a post a couple of nights ago about how frustrating it can be to watch these classic Italian horrors. I did a rewatch of Black Sunday, and it made me realize that my first viewing of it was the censored American version with an altered generic musical score. My rewatch was of the intended Bava version with the uncut scenes and original score which added to the movie tremendously. However, even though the vocal performances were well done, the dubbing was technically far superior in the American version.

I noticed musical differences when I watched Blood and Black Lace last week as well. I couldn't decide which dub I wanted to go with and while checking out the English version I noticed that it featured a more constant score. It made me wonder which dub is supposed to be superior.

Black Sabbath is probably the worst offender with having differences between versions. I almost screwed up last October and watched the lesser AIP version before I realized what was going on. The Italian version is the better version hands down for a multitude of reasons, but there is also the catch of not being able to have Boris Karloff's audio when watching it. These are my first world horror problems.

I've only seen the English versions of Black Sunday and Black Sabbath. I want to buy them on Bluray but as far as I can tell the Italian cuts of both are only on region B discs.

I've only seen the English versions of Black Sunday and Black Sabbath. I want to buy them on Bluray but as far as I can tell the Italian cuts of both are only on region B discs.

Kino decided to release the Italian and AIP versions of Black Sabbath and Black Sunday separately. I can't really see any other reason they would do this except to get more money. Maybe I'm wrong though, their Blu-ray of Bay of Blood includes two versions.

It's a little tricky to find the separate versions on Amazon, sometimes the AIP versions pop up for me, other times it's the originals. If you buy them, I would double check that Amazon sent me the correct version. They've accidently sent me a dvd of On the Waterfront once instead of the Blu-ray.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BWFOZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKWQNIO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was going to make a post a couple of nights ago about how frustrating it can be to watch these classic Italian horrors. I did a rewatch of Black Sunday, and it made me realize that my first viewing of it was the censored American version with an altered generic musical score. My rewatch was of the intended Bava version with the uncut scenes and original score which added to the movie tremendously. However, even though the vocal performances were well done, the dubbing was technically far superior in the American version.

I noticed musical differences when I watched Blood and Black Lace last week as well. I couldn't decide which dub I wanted to go with and while checking out the English version I noticed that it featured a more constant score. It made me wonder which dub is supposed to be superior.

Black Sabbath is probably the worst offender with having differences between versions. I almost screwed up last October and watched the lesser AIP version before I realized what was going on. The Italian version is the better version hands down for a multitude of reasons, but there is also the catch of not being able to have Boris Karloff's audio when watching it. These are my first world horror problems.

Yeah, Bava's films seemed to get messed with more often than other Italian directors. You should see what happened with Lisa and the Devil, which I'll be going over at the end of my Bava week (probably starting that on Sunday, very excited!).

The really old stuff seems to be what was tinkered with the most, so that includes Bava. For later stuff like Argento you should be okay with the dub. When in doubt, I just take a look at the IMDB Alternative Versions link and see what's up.

Yeah, Bava's films seemed to get messed with more often than other Italian directors. You should see what happened with Lisa and the Devil, which I'll be going over at the end of my Bava week (probably starting that on Sunday, very excited!).

The really old stuff seems to be what was tinkered with the most, so that includes Bava. For later stuff like Argento you should be okay with the dub. When in doubt, I just take a look at the IMDB Alternative Versions link and see what's up.

I read about Lisa and the Devil a little this week, felt bad for Bava after reading. Interested in seeing what you think though, that's one I still haven't got around to, and I thought about picking it up because of the Arrow sale.

I didn't think about IMDB, thanks for the suggestion.

Zombine

Banned
HAH that's exactly how I felt.

"Oh, movie is almost over. Not bad but also not great, more lik- WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED" Probably one of my favorite endings ever.

I was like "WHY WONT THE IMAGE GO AWAY MAN!?" It genuinely freaked me out. Now we're laughing about it today so I gotta give the film some credit.

Top Bottom