• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 industries announces a Beta for a patch for the MCC, delays it, then cancels it.

Majanew

Banned
THIS. Most of the community mocked 343 for proposing a beta for an update, which isn't all that uncommon. The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.

So what do the people that PAID $60 for the game deserve? MS/343 released a broken game and then 3 months later announce a beta to fix the damn game that shouldn't have been released in the state it was in. That's why the beta to fix MP problems was mocked. It's bullshit that we paid $60 to beta test their fucking game.

My copy is just sitting here on my shelf. It's a reminder that I will not buy Halo 5 new. Hell, I might buy every future 343 game used from now on.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What a fuck up 343...i feel really bad for the people who jumped in to Xbox One only on the allure of MCC.

The only people i can see defending how this disaster has turned out are apologists.

Bob White

THIS. Most of the community mocked 343 for proposing a beta for an update, which isn't all that uncommon. The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.

What the fuck, man. They don't "deserve" a fix for the game they bought? What in the fucking shit is this?

The community spent $60 on a game they expected to fucking work out of the box. It's not their burden to bare.

Jesus, the amount of corporate ballwashing recently.

Wereroku

I haven't played either, what's so different, has mcc been broke longer?

It's a weird comparison. Basically when Driveclub was first released it had a hard cap on the number of concurrent users that could log into the server. If you could connect to a server the game worked perfectly as advertised but a new person could not connect until a server slot opened up. At this point MCC has been broken longer. MCC is a strange one. It will work perfectly for some people and not work at all for others and for the great majority it is somewhere in between. Incredibly long MM times and many issued associated with MM like unbalanced teams, dropped users, high lag, lobby freezes, and other weird graphical bugs.

A picture of Master Chief with the words Broken over it

Like this?

master-chief-crying.jpg~original

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

For one thing, that game works at this point in time. No defense for launch fuck ups, but 343's insistence on doing the worst possible thing every time is like a continuous slow motion train wreck.

As for PS+, the people who were atleast interested in Drive Club to begin with probably already bought it cause of the weather patch(i finally caved a few weeks ago). Again, no excuses for not coming out with that version though.

Seventy70

I didn't realize they gave the game away for free.

Seriously, I think the government needs to step in and take care of companies that release games that don't work as advertised. That's the only way they will ever stop and finally fix their shitty QA systems.

Ubisoft, Evolution, and 343 deserve to be fined.

Wereroku

Not the PSN Plus version.

The PS+ version probably works but they don't want to risk overloading the servers and breaking everything again. At this point I think it's more likely they will just give everyone the full game for a PS+ game.

I wonder, are the same people that jumped to High Voltage's defense when their skills as a development studio were being attacked going to jump to 343's as well?

As someone told me in the TellTale Game of Thrones Thread: As long as you dont call the studio lazy or the developers lazy, you can say whatever. So pretty much calling 343i incompetent is ok, as well as criticizing Microsoft for having numerous studios work on the title and rushing it out the door in its sad state for the holiday rush.

Guerrilla

A picture of Master Chief with the words Broken over it

Lets make this sting a little more. If it works satisfactory by lets say the end of april.(h5 seems too long) The nay sayers will have to use an mc avatar with the line "343 actually redeemed" for a month. Otherwise the yes sayers will have to use an avatar with a sad mc and the line "lying failure chief collection"

Ill take that bet if there are any takers (im on the its going to be fixed side)

We just have to clarify what satisfactory means

cakely

343 delays and then cancels the beta for the patch that was supposed to fix the broken Halo: Master Chief Collection.

Did I get that right?

Does anyone else here think this is fairly insane?

hawk2025

Are we really derailing yet another MCC thread into completely pointless comparisons to once-or-currently broken games?

MCC was a rushed mess, a public nightmare for a loved franchise.

And the worst part is why would I think they would not screw Halo 5 up.

The matchmaking in Halo 5's BETA was pretty atrocious too. The only reason people didn't complain as much is because is because it was better than the matchmaking in Halo MCC.

Halo 5 matchmaking experience: Enter matchmaking solo > immediately finds full group > 1 second later, the matchmaking drops 1 person > waits 5 minutes to find last person > play round, match ends > frequently encounter bug requiring you to close out and re-start application.

Halo 5 matchmaking when in party: Try to assemble party using Xbox One UI, since Halo 5 player list did not function 80% of the time. > 2 members of party are able to join, but the 3rd can't get in. > Tell 3rd player to re-start Halo 5 app or do hard reset of console. > Wait 5 minutes. > Person maybe able to join, but Xbox Live party chat doesn't work for them (3 players can hear each other, but the 4th cannot hear anything). > Wait 5 minutes to find match. > Play round. > Back out, or not back out. Backing out typically takes less time to find next match, but sometimes you need to re-invite players. > Encounter various bugs/crashes. > Keep attempting to re-from full fire team.

BUY THE XBOX ONE! WE ARE USING AZURE SERVERS! WE PROMISE IT WILL BE AWESOME! Sure, but the underlying Xbox Live experience is currently shittier than it was on the original Xbox.

The matchmaking in Halo 5's BETA was pretty atrocious too. The only reason people didn't complain as much is because is because it was better than the matchmaking in Halo MCC.

Halo 5 matchmaking experience: Enter matchmaking solo > immediately finds full group > 1 second later, the matchmaking drops 1 person > waits 5 minutes to find last person > play round, match ends > frequently encounter bug requiring you to close out and re-start application.

Halo 5 matchmaking when in party: Try to assemble party using Xbox One UI, since Halo 5 player list did not function 80% of the time. > 2 members of party are able to join, but the 3rd can't get in. > Tell 3rd player to re-start Halo 5 app or do hard reset of console. > Wait 5 minutes. > Person maybe able to join, but Xbox Live party chat doesn't work for them (3 players can hear each other, but the 4th cannot hear anything). > Wait 5 minutes to find match. > Play round. > Back out, or not back out. Backing out typically takes less time to find next match, but sometimes you need to re-invite players. > Encounter various bugs/crashes. > Keep attempting to re-from full fire team.

BUY THE XBOX ONE! WE ARE USING AZURE SERVERS! WE PROMISE IT WILL BE AWESOME! Sure, but the underlying Xbox Live experience is currently shittier than it was on the original Xbox.

The H5 thing was excusable though because it was a beta. I'm still hopeful the full product will work.

HardRojo

They've provided many fixes/updates/patches. I don't understand this statement. lol
Wait time is still about the same as any other online game. Certain scenarios may prolong the wait. They are also giving halo:eek:dst and having certain affinity remake another map for halo 2 anniversary. Sorry troll try again. :)

How the hell is he trolling? What!?

On topic: It's a shame the game is still in bad shape after some months. This one was on my must-buy list for whenever I get an XBO (hopefully later this year) but I guess I'll have to take it off for now.

TomShoe

Banned
Lets make this sting a little more. If it works satisfactory by lets say the end of april.(h5 seems too long) The nay sayers will have to use an mc avatar with the line "343 actually redeemed" for a month. Otherwise the yes sayers will have to use an avatar with a sad mc and the line "lying failure chief collection"

Ill take that bet if there are any takers (im on the its going to be fixed side)

We just have to clarify what satisfactory means

I'm down with April. Personally, I don't think it'll get fixed for a long time, but April might be a little tight for Vernia & Co.

Seventy70

It's hilarious that people are even comparing this to Driveclub.

I agree. One is a mediocre game by a studio with not much of a track record and the other is a game that features FOUR games of the platforms most valuable IP. Combine that with the fact that Driveclub actually works now and tbh attracts a niche audience. Halo has many many more fans and this mess is still happening.

I'm curious. Is there a old thread here on GAF for the reviews MCC got when it came out? Have any of those reviews been updated? I feel like I remember the reviews were crazy positive about everything.

Basically, I'm wondering what we can expect from reviewers with Halo 5. Will they assume Halo = perfect 10s, or will they think back to the MCC travesty.

Kssio_Aug

Thank you Amazon! Thanks a lot for understanding and refunding me the game last month!
There's no salvation for this collection!

VinFTW

So, just read through the whole thing, am I understanding this correctly:

They cancelled the Beta to get the final patch out to the public quicker?

Is that right?

I'm curious. Is there a old thread here on GAF for the reviews MCC got when it came out? Have any of those reviews been updated? I feel like I remember the reviews were crazy positive about everything.

Basically, I'm wondering what we can expect from reviewers with Halo 5. Will they assume Halo = perfect 10s, or will they think back to the MCC travesty.

If I understand correctly, the day 1 reviews did not have access to the matchmaking part of MCC (which is what is broken), and very few if any went back to revisit their scores.

The H5 thing was excusable though because it was a beta. I'm still hopeful the full product will work.

Yep, I knew this comment was coming, and I somewhat agree to a certain extent... That being said, the unplayability of Halo MCC + the fact that MCC was a glorified paid access key to the Halo 5 beta + the fact that Halo 5's matchmaking suffers many of the same problems that MCC suffers, this is very concerning.

Yes, it's a beta, although I'm not sure that I even know what a beta means on consoles anymore. Seems to me that the word has been devalued of what it once meant.

I can't weigh in on how "excusable" it is, but it's certainly problematic... and considering how Microsoft/343 sold 1.1 million copies of MCC (and MCC is essentially an expensive paper weight) I'm not in a very forgiving mood.

Defending the testers here is fine. It's not like they don't find these bugs -- QA isn't the most powerful department at a game company (in fact, it's arguably the least powerful).

QA is the part of the totem pole that's buried in the ground. Not visible, but structurally integral.

Top Bottom