• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 industries announces a Beta for a patch for the MCC, delays it, then cancels it.

I don't think we need to compare apples to oranges here. Lets all just agree that both were released when they shouldn't have been (or should have never been released, period).

Agreed, I was under the impression we are just talking about current state.

But yes 2014 was a year in which many games were rushed out the door. It's actually made me happy every time I hear about a delay for a game now, I know it must be a hard decision but often it ends up being the right one.

meanspartan

They've provided many fixes/updates/patches. I don't understand this statement. lol
Wait time is still about the same as any other online game. Certain scenarios may prolong the wait. They are also giving halo:eek:dst and having certain affinity remake another map for halo 2 anniversary. Sorry troll try again. :)

Didnt read like trolling to me.

Yours does sound like apologism though.

jelly

Are we somehow working under the assumption that the MCC framerate is not dogshit relative to its target?

let's not forget that this collection was INTRODUCED as a 1080p/60fps experience, and that promise is broken as soon as you start Halo CE.

Regardless, I think the comparisons to AC are a bit pointless. We shouldn't use low bars to measure products, I don't think.

Yeah, MCC problems aren't just multiplayer. It's just a that'll do collection and MS have run away with your money. I'll be very interested to see what MCC is like across the board when all said and done.

Kampfheld

Banned
The community clearly stated that they don't want to beta test a patch - I only need to read the prior thread here about that. So ... They didn't offer that. Think about TMCC and its problems whatever you want - but this decision was clearly influenced by the reaction of the community.

Vinc

Anyone else still waiting on their free month of Live?

Xbox Support is arguing with me that they can'T do anything about it and that I should contact "The 343". I tell them I can't because support for them IS Microsoft but they don't believe me... I've been on hold for nearly an hour while they try to provide me with that phone number... :(

Wereroku

The fact that they refuse to call these patches really annoys me. They don't add additional content so why call them content updates. It's like the term patch is poison to 343.

Bgamer90

Banned
How do you know it would have similar end results?

Never said it will -- hence why I used "if".

Why was there going to be a beta in the first place, if 343 expected similar results with or without the beta?

Change of plans?

Maybe what they are doing is going better than expected to the point in which they eventually found a public beta unnecessary (especially if it was going to add to the amount of time it took for many of the game's issues to be straightened out for everyone who owns it)?

Your conclusion is also based on an assumption. The trouble is that mine seems somewhat more reasonable given what has happened a few months back, and the fact that they themselves deemed a larger beta necessary only a few weeks ago.

Yes, me thinking that the update will have major improvements is an assumption too -- however, I prefer to wait and see how things turn out instead of assuming the worst. They said they are doing this to get the update out sooner. That's all I can react to as of right now.

TomShoe

Banned
"But don't forget to pre-order Halo 5 digitally and get Day 1™, Hour 1™, and Second 1™ access! Oh, and get the season pass to get your free Agent Locke Gamestop Exclusive Fedora! We need all your m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ support to make Halo 5 the best game possible!"

<3 343i

What a mess. With the logistics involved, I don't think MCC will ever get fixed. I expect Spence to quietly sweep it under the rug in preparation for the Halo 5 marketing blitz.

"But don't forget to pre-order Halo 5 digitally and get Day 1™, Hour 1™, and Second 1™ access! Oh, and get the season pass to get your free Agent Locke Gamestop Exclusive Fedora! We need all your m&#822;o&#822;n&#822;e&#822;y&#822; support to make Halo 5 the best game possible!"

<3 343i

What a mess. With the logistics involved, I don't think MCC will ever get fixed. I expect Spence to quietly sweep it under the rug in preparation for the Halo 5 marketing blitz.

We need avatar bets. I wanna see all you people claiming MCC will never work with Master Chief avatars.

The community clearly stated that they don't want to beta test a patch - I only need to read the prior thread here about that. So ... They didn't offer that. Think about TMCC and its problems whatever you want - but this decision was clearly influenced by the reaction of the community.

THIS. Most of the community mocked 343 for proposing a beta for an update, which isn't all that uncommon. The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.

"After further evaluation, the team has determined that that final testing for the content update will be completed internally, and we will not be conducting a beta test for the next CU. Also, it was determined that the additional time and work devoted to the beta would’ve actually postponed the public availability of the content update. Lastly, there were some added challenges surrounding the CU beta – including an extra series of required updates and rollbacks - that made us take a step back and reexamine the CU beta. Ultimately, this plan will allow us to deliver the smoothest possible experience, and ensure that the next content update becomes available as soon as possible.

Not a phrase I'd expect to see mentioned in regard to MCC.

I can't believe the mess this game is still in. MS clearly just wanted to shove this game out for the holidays. I feel sorry for the people that bought this and have had to deal with this bs.

The fact that they're still debating what to do with an update tells you everything you need to know about how rushed this game was.

Sorry troll try again. :)
Don't do this, please.

THIS. Most of the community mocked 343 for proposing a beta for an update, which isn't all that uncommon. The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.
All the lulz

Figments

Defending the testers here is fine. It's not like they don't find these bugs -- QA isn't the most powerful department at a game company (in fact, it's arguably the least powerful).

In all likelihood, the bugs were reported as separate issues and no one had any idea they were all part of a bigger mess.

Bagels! ;_;

Hue.
That stealth edit, tho.

We need avatar bets. I wanna see all you people claiming MCC will never work with Master Chief avatars.

If you lose, you have to wear a sombrero and dance like Hugh Hefner

Nialrot

Didn't realize it was a necessity for the Halo community to beta test a game 3 months out so it works correctly...

Intrigue

Banned
MCC was a rushed mess, a public nightmare for a loved franchise.

And the worst part is why would I think they would not screw Halo 5 up.

At this point it doesn't matter. Even if this game is buttery smooth on 2 weeks or 4 weeks or whatever the first thing people wil think of when they think of it from now until eternity is "broken". The game's reputation is irrepably destroyed and the developers' reputation tarnished. Same with driveclub and to some extent AssCreed Unity. Hopefully this becomes a lesson to pubs and devs in the future.

Purest 78

They've provided many fixes/updates/patches. I don't understand this statement. lol
Wait time is still about the same as any other online game. Certain scenarios may prolong the wait. They are also giving halo:eek:dst and having certain affinity remake another map for halo 2 anniversary. Sorry troll try again. :)

Did we read the same post?

Prezhulio

Tried to play multiplayer for about 20 minutes this afternoon while snowed in....didn't finish matchmaking once.

Backed out of the search, tried different playlists, waited for long periods of time (7 minutes on one attempt, I timed it), turned off the Xbox (hard reset), all frivolous.

No amount of sorcery makes this game work as is.

Wereroku

I don't like saying it will never work but I feel confident saying that it will still be having problems until at least May. I think to really fix the problem they have to completely redo the server code and the earlier updates were them trying to avoid having to do that. I think they have finally started working on a complete rebuild of the server system and it feels like it is going to take a few months to get working perfectly.

Z3M0G

What a mess this game has been. They really should have just gone with H2A and then released the other games as expansions to keep the hype train going until Halo 5...

Would have been smart/safer... release it episodically, each pice at a good price ($15?), every 1-2 months. Give people time to play the single player and multiplayer of each title. Then BAM, next game released to play. Release the collection set when it is all over.

THRILLH0

Banned
343's defense this whole time was that there were problems in the production environment that didn't show up during internal testing.

So to fix that, they're now testing what is allegedly the biggest update to the game yet.... internally.

What the fuck?

Am I supposed to have confidence that this patch will now be solely tested by the group that approved this mess for release in the first place?

hawk2025

343's defense this whole time was that there were problems in the production environment that didn't show up during internal testing.

So to fix that, they're now testing what is allegedly the biggest update to the game yet.... internally.

What the fuck?

Am I supposed to have confidence that this patch will now be solely tested by the group that approved this mess for release in the first place?

Apparently, I shouldn't assume the worst.

Didnt read like trolling to me.

Yours does sound like apologism though.

no apology or justification for any issues people have during MM. just sharing what I've experienced that may differ from others assumptions. Also providing more info of how their input shows they haven't played the game recently. *shrug*

Didn't realize it was a necessity for the Halo community to beta test a game 3 months out so it works correctly...

That has nothing to do with what I said. The Halo community was going to get a chance to help 343 fix this game so we can all try to enjoy MCC and the Halo community basically said fuck you 343 we don't want this game fixed.

Chobel

Since when does 343i care about halo community? :p

Top Bottom