• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 industries announces a Beta for a patch for the MCC, delays it, then cancels it.

Vinc

That has nothing to do with what I said. The Halo community was going to get a chance to help 343 fix this game so we can all try to enjoy MCC and the Halo community basically said fuck you 343 we don't want this game fixed.

That last part is true? Any evidence of that?

RowdyReverb

The matchmaking in Halo 5's BETA was pretty atrocious too. The only reason people didn't complain as much is because is because it was better than the matchmaking in Halo MCC.

Halo 5 matchmaking experience: Enter matchmaking solo > immediately finds full group > 1 second later, the matchmaking drops 1 person > waits 5 minutes to find last person > play round, match ends > frequently encounter bug requiring you to close out and re-start application.

Halo 5 matchmaking when in party: Try to assemble party using Xbox One UI, since Halo 5 player list did not function 80% of the time. > 2 members of party are able to join, but the 3rd can't get in. > Tell 3rd player to re-start Halo 5 app or do hard reset of console. > Wait 5 minutes. > Person maybe able to join, but Xbox Live party chat doesn't work for them (3 players can hear each other, but the 4th cannot hear anything). > Wait 5 minutes to find match. > Play round. > Back out, or not back out. Backing out typically takes less time to find next match, but sometimes you need to re-invite players. > Encounter various bugs/crashes. > Keep attempting to re-from full fire team.

BUY THE XBOX ONE! WE ARE USING AZURE SERVERS! WE PROMISE IT WILL BE AWESOME! Sure, but the underlying Xbox Live experience is currently shittier than it was on the original Xbox.
That, and the fact that Halo 5 was an unfinished game that showed a disclaimer upon starting it to give people proper expectations. You're probably going to have a tough time finding much sympathy for your poor matchmaking experiences in an early beta.

Yep, I knew this comment was coming, and I somewhat agree to a certain extent... That being said, the unplayability of Halo MCC + the fact that MCC was a glorified paid access key to the Halo 5 beta + the fact that Halo 5's matchmaking suffers many of the same problems that MCC suffers, this is very concerning.

Yes, it's a beta, although I'm not sure that I even know what a beta means on consoles anymore. Seems to me that the word has been devalued of what it once meant.

I can't weigh in on how "excusable" it is, but it's certainly problematic... and considering how Microsoft/343 sold 1.1 million copies of MCC (and MCC is essentially an expensive paper weight) I'm not in a very forgiving mood.
The H5 beta is probably the closest thing we've seen to a true multiplayer beta we've seen in a good while.

hawk2025

I'm curious. Is there a old thread here on GAF for the reviews MCC got when it came out? Have any of those reviews been updated? I feel like I remember the reviews were crazy positive about everything.

Basically, I'm wondering what we can expect from reviewers with Halo 5. Will they assume Halo = perfect 10s, or will they think back to the MCC travesty.

Just go to Metacritic and read the excerpts. They are incredible.

Digital Spy
Nov 11, 2014
There's more love and care lavished on The Master Chief Collection than you see in countless other big-money, brand new blockbuster releases. The fact that the games themselves are fantastic fun online and off is the cherry on the icing.

Game InformerNov 10, 2014
The total package of Halo: The Master Chief Collection is massive and intimidating, but none of it is crammed in or hastily included. Even the modes that appeal to a small dedicated group of Halo fans have received attention.

God is a Geek
Nov 9, 2014
In terms of pure content, Halo: The Master Chief Collection is simply massive. In terms of the content itself, this package is astounding. Four of the best shooter campaigns ever made, in one box, all running at 1080p at 60fps, Halo has never looked so good. Throw in over 100 multiplayer maps and a bevy of Halo themed extras and you have a recipe for a true system seller.

Gamers' Temple
Nov 11, 2014
Halo: The Master Chief Collection really sets the standard for all future re-release game collections.

Hardcore GamerNov 7, 2014
This is the definitive first-person shooter experience, a no-brainer purchase for the vast majority of gamers, and the first true system-seller of the new console generation.

PolygonNov 7, 2014
Sets a bar that other remasters and collections will have difficulty reaching, much less topping. For players new to Halo, who have missed any of the included games, it is a stunning introduction to one of the most beloved series in video games. For Halo fans, it's a package that shows almost as much respect and affection for the Master Chief as they do.

InsideGamer.nlNov 15, 2014
This game pack is awesome. It not only breathes quality, it really shows the love that 343 Industries has for the Halo series. Both single-player and multiplayer within this game are solid, smooth and complete.

Some of these have been updated since being posted, including Polygon's.

THIS. Most of the community mocked 343 for proposing a beta for an update, which isn't all that uncommon. The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.

giphy.gif

VinFTW

Yeah I really feel badly for people who want to play this game and can't. What a cluster fuck.

dont feel too bad friends, us Halo fans are used to it

we're still awaiting our triumphant return some day...

#weback signs are still waiting to be used.

Here's hoping Halo 5 does that for us :(

Ramirez

The community clearly stated that they don't want to beta test a patch - I only need to read the prior thread here about that. So ... They didn't offer that. Think about TMCC and its problems whatever you want - but this decision was clearly influenced by the reaction of the community.

lol

Caayn

THIS. Most of the community mocked 343 for proposing a beta for an update, which isn't all that uncommon. The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.
I've got no problem with beta testing new features, I do however have a problem with beta testing something three months after launch for something that should've worked on day one. I double dibbed on this because it looked like it was the real deal, only to be left with a sour taste in my mouth when I realized that it all exists in one form or another but the foundation is so horrible broken that it just destroys the experience.

So, just read through the whole thing, am I understanding this correctly:

They cancelled the Beta to get the final patch out to the public quicker?

Is that right?

I'm speculating/reading between the lines here, but here are my thoughts:

343 was running up against the XBL certification process which was preventing them from getting content updates out as frequently as they would have liked. The game has so many problems that they are basically spamming as many game breaking fixes as they can. Unfortunately, since the underlying game is so fundamentally broken they will never be able to fix it and make it the product that fans thought it was going to be. The game needs to be pulled from shelves and re-built/re-funded from the ground up.

So in the spirit of spamming non-game-breaking updates, and hitting XBL certification walls. 343 brainstormed a potential work around. The workaround was the "content update beta." This theoretically allowed them to release content updates more frequently without the same scrutiny that goes into XBL certification for the general public, which hopefully meant they could make more and quicker progress with the "content updates." They announced this plan to the public, partially as ill-advised damage control.

Shortly after, someone at Microsoft tells them that they can't proceed with this "content update beta" in the manner in which they were initially hoping to. Which means that Microsoft told them that the updates would still require XBL certification (thereby killing any benefit of releasing updates more swiftly). Or something that scared the Microsoft legal team that was not currently worded properly in the XBL terms of service.

The message is clear. Expect more slow "content updates" that supposedly give the game more stability, but are practically un-noticeable by the end user. The game will never be fixed. Halo 5 comes out and everyone moves on.

VinFTW

Online co-op is never going to get fixed, is it?

online coops fine? what problems are you having? Input lag?

That's been in Halo forever, just a product of p2p I believe.

I'm speculating/reading between the lines here, but here are my thoughts:

343 was running up against the XBL certification process which was preventing them from getting content updates out as frequently as they would have liked. The game has so many problems that they are basically spamming as many game breaking fixes as they can. Unfortunately, since the underlying game is so fundamentally broken they will never be able to fix it and make it the product that fans thought it was going to be. The game needs to be pulled from shelves and re-built/re-funded from the ground up.

So in the spirit of spamming non-game-breaking updates, and hitting XBL certification walls. 343 brainstormed a potential work around. The workaround was the "content update beta." This theoretically allowed them to release content updates more frequently without the same scrutiny that goes into XBL certification for the general public, which hopefully meant they could make more and quicker progress with the "content updates." They announced this plan to the public, partially as ill-advised damage control.

Shortly after, someone at Microsoft tells them that they can't proceed with this "content update beta" in the manner in which they were initially hoping to. Which means that Microsoft told them that the updates would still require XBL certification (thereby killing any benefit of releasing updates more swiftly). Or something that scared the Microsoft legal team that was not currently worded properly in the XBL terms of service.

The message is clear. Expect more slow "content updates" that supposedly give the game more stability, but are practically un-noticeable by the end user. The game will never be fixed. Halo 5 comes out and everyone moves on.
wtf is this wall of nonsense?

I read the blog as: It'll take more time to send the beta out to test, THEN send it out to the public, than to just get the patch out to the public, assuming they believe its actually fixing stuff. So having a beta would just waste time when they can put it out sooner (assuming it works).

I've got no problem with beta testing new features, I do however have a problem with beta testing something three months after launch for something that should've worked on day one. I double dibbed on this because it looked like it was the real deal, only to be left with a sour taste in my mouth when I realized that it all exists in one form or another but the foundations it so horrible broken that it just destroys the experience.
You weren't going to beta test the game, you were going to beta test an update.

Mista

Banned
This is a disgrace. First they said a BETA for a damn patch and we said okay.... Now they cancel it and the game will still be broken. Just dont screw Halo 5 if you can please.

E92 M3

I don't honestly think outsourcing it to six different studios was a terrible idea, since they're essentially working on just one game each. Given good management and the right amount of time, they could have made a good product. But they clearly did not get that.

It's a horrible idea to outsource a flagship title. Everything - or majority - needs to be done in house for the best result.

7dIYcMb.jpg

The majority of the Halo community doesn't deserve a fixed MCC since they don't seem to want to try and help to get it fixed.

Wow. I don't even...this is just...blame the cu...for the broken g.....no, what, I just....

boDEqQ1.gif

I give up...

Seriously, my jaw is still on the floor after reading that.

Caayn

You weren't going to beta test the game, you were going to beta test an update.
I know that's why I said "beta testing something three months after launch for something that should've worked on day one" implying the multiplayer (among other things) compoment with that. The update should've been there day one, there shouldn't be any for that update(not in this from anyway) is what I'm saying ;)

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, of course! The community should just smile cause they'd be beta tested 3 months after the game release, and thank 343 for their amazing job!

Sure! That's the community fault.

hawk2025

The community clearly stated that they don't want to beta test a patch - I only need to read the prior thread here about that. So ... They didn't offer that. Think about TMCC and its problems whatever you want - but this decision was clearly influenced by the reaction of the community.

I want to get back to this, since I only just realized that you work for Microsoft.

At the risk of being overly blunt -- deal with it. The community, rightfully so, scoffed at the idea of beta testing a patch months after release. It's up to 343/Microsoft to have the fortitude to carry through the beta test if it's necessary to fix the mess they made in the first place.

Being in a situation where the game is being fixed after the fact, and not before release, it's up to YOU guys to provide the proper incentives for the community to test your game for you. This usually works out great before release, because people want to try a game before it's out. Not so much after the game is out, and not so much after people had been actively tricked into believing that everything was fine with the collection on the run-up to the game being released.

Don't throw this back at us. It's your shit, fix it, or give us the proper incentives to help you fix it. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to participate in your beta test that locked them out of playing with friends that didn't participate (whenever that was possible), or to at least be vocal about how the beta test represented a hilarious mess, even if they did decide to participate.

Dealing with the community is your job. Dealing with it after releasing a broken game doubly so.

Frame it correctly, provide incentives, and explain what, for how long, and the extent of the upcoming beta test, and perhaps the community won't react so negatively to announcing a beta test months after release.

Edit: To be clear, I mean "you" and "your" not directly in reference to Kampfheld, but to the directly responsible parties and to make a larger overarching points on testing and fixing content before and after the official release date.

tfur

Just go to Metacritic and read the excerpts. They are incredible.

Some of these have been updated since being posted, including Polygon's.

This whole subject of fake/questionable reviews is a thread worthy bomb on it own.
I pretty much shy away from reviewers nowadays, but one day this dirty laundry needs to be aired.

Finaj

Yeah I really feel badly for people who want to play this game and can't. What a cluster fuck.

I feel bad too. I just don't understand why it works for some people and doesn't for others. It's functioned well for me since mid December and I have Timer Warner Cable supplying my internet.

prateeko

online coops fine? what problems are you having? Input lag?

That's been in Halo forever, just a product of p2p I believe.

wtf is this wall of nonsense?

I read the blog as: It'll take more time to send the beta out to test, THEN send it out to the public, than to just get the patch out to the public, assuming they believe its actually fixing stuff. So having a beta would just waste time when they can put it out sooner (assuming it works).

It is a major issue with this one and I play plenty of other p2p games online with my friends across the country without the lab being an issue. Halo MCC has it spectacularly bad for the campaign but I have little hope to see it addressed.

Jeff-DSA

What a disaster. There's no other way to put it. I sold the game after basically never getting into multiplayer matches, several single player glitches (including the save deletion bug!), and too many excuses from 343. I figured that by now I would have been able to re-buy a fixed product. Now I'm not sure that day will ever get here.

Anybody want to guess whether or not I bothered to keep my Halo 5 preorder after all this?

Toki767

This whole subject of fake/questionable reviews is a thread worthy bomb on it own.
I pretty much shy away from reviewers nowadays, but one day this dirty laundry needs to be aired.

I noticed regarding Polygon and their "changing" reviews.

For The Master Chief Collection, it went from a 9.5 to an 8. Still an 8 even though the game isn't fixed.

For Driveclub, it went from a 7.5 to a 5. Still a 5 even though the game is fixed and added more things and people say it's great now.

E92 M3

Hey guys we should be thankful that 343 gave us the chance to give them 60 dollars! You are all lunatics for being upset about receiving a broken game. Be thankful they even gave us a disc with our holy master chief on it! Guys are so ungrateful 343 should have just sold you paper with MCC written on it.

I am ashamed to be part of this community.

That, and the fact that Halo 5 was an unfinished game that showed a disclaimer upon starting it to give people proper expectations. You're probably going to have a tough time finding much sympathy for your poor matchmaking experiences in an early beta.

The H5 beta is probably the closest thing we've seen to a true multiplayer beta we've seen in a good while.

1. Understood, this is supposed to be a "beta" in the traditional sense. My point is that matchmaking problems across the two titles could be indicative of larger problems with the API that 343/Microsoft is using and the azure servers. It is concerning. Also, since it is supposed to be a "beta" in the traditional sense, pointing out these sorts of problems is exactly what the consumer should do.

2. This is what Microsoft/343 is claiming. However, we won't know if that is indeed true until Halo 5's release. Considering 343's track record, we should not be giving them the benefit of the doubt. They are clearly not beyond cashing in on the franchise's name alone and releasing fundamentally broken products.

Fury451

Banned
I was heavily debating an Xbox One later this year, and was looking forward to this the most. I didn't realize there were such major issues, I thought it quad just some connectivity problems at launch.

samn

They earned their fix when they paid 60 dollars.

They deserve it because they paid f*cking money for it!

Sephzilla

No. The Halo 5 and MCC teams do not share resources or technology. Frankie confirmed this in the Halo OT.

If the quality if MCC's patches so far is any indication, it sure seems like Halo 5 has the A and B teams working on it and MCC has the C team.

Derpyduck

Banned

What about the reaction of MS/343 to the community? The message sent to gamers when you offer an apology in the form of a free copy of ODST to anyone that played the game prior to December 21st is that on or about December 21st the game was working as advertised. It wasn't. It still isn't. Why the cut off date that conveniently falls on a date mere days away from tons of gamers unwrapping the broken game on Christmas? If MS wants respect, they should show some.

Caronte

Why the fuck should they help? It's THEIR fucking job to fix it, not the fan's.

Shit man didn't realise this was still going on. I feel for you xbox and halo fans. Seems like a real rough deal. This generation so far has had so many fuck ups it really does question this hobby of mine and why I still bother to partake in it.

Top Bottom