• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 releases Halo Infinite Juneteenth emblem titled ‘Bonobo’

Jaybe

Gold Member

For those that don’t know, Bonobo is a species of ape.

So much failure.

Juneteenth celebrates emancipation from slavery in the US

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

X1ULIkf.jpg

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Damn...
They definitely dropped the ball with this one. Can't believe no one brought attention to it before going public.

Last edited:

Banned
The issue seems to be the name of it because of that date (I've never heard of Juneteeth before, I am English), which was then change to:
FVPgFMxWAAE_gqa

Why name it Bonobo today? Someone fucked up.
Edit: it seems to be the 19th?

well they didn't name it, that's the issue. seems like exporting a file from that tool means it defaults to bonobo

It wasn't intentional, the toolset from Bungie days was leftover with that Bonobo name and it got through on the worst possible timing available for Juneteenth. I still take it as an omen to this game and studio. 343 dealt with it quickly but of all the studios out there I don't think one can reasonable accuse 343 for not being diverse enough. Outrage is a bit much here but understandable given the FUBAR timing and optics.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You’d think they’d enforce some mandatory name change, right? I mean they have never prior released an update like this calling anything bonobo and yet of all times, or all cosmetics, this is the one that gets bonobo.
You just can’t make this shit up. It’s a craazzzyyyy world.

You’d think they’d enforce some mandatory name change, right? I mean they have never prior released an update like this calling anything bonobo and yet of all times, or all cosmetics, this is the one that gets bonobo.

Just wait until you hear about the push in tech to abolish "master" source code or "slave" hard drives etc. Another fuck up waiting to happen that really doesn't warrant the bullshit.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean they have never prior released an update like this calling anything bonobo and yet of all times, or all cosmetics, this is the one that gets bonobo.

Problem with this logic is:

- You actually don't know that some error like this hasn't happened before and been fixed, nobody would have cared if this applied to something else
- The game is only 7 months old, while Halo itself is ancient and apparently the use of this bonobo tool is ancient, that doesn't mean that there's something about how they implemented how "The name of a color pallet" shows up in Infinite caused this issue to crop up whereas in the last 20+ years of games, there was no chance this tool could cause this, so then this being the 1st time it's happened isn't particularly far fetched.. it could be a bug patched out now to make it so it never happens

I still don't get what an animation extraction tool has to do with this though lol

Foilz

Banned
I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the planet has no idea what the name bonobo meant. I also don't think it was done intentionally or out of malice. I also don't believe anyone on the planet was offended by this. The response just fuels the fake outrage manly made by bored keyboard warriors who like to start shit

MiguelItUp

To be fair, I had no idea "bonobo" was a species of ape. I wouldn't be surprised if that information was/is widely unknown among a large number of people. Unfortunate circumstance though, good on them for changing it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
..or the people defending it and making excuses. It's hilarious right?

jensen ackles laughing GIF
Yeah it looks too perfect for being an accident, it was probably made on purpose.

Still, if your major problem in life is a fucking halo skin being called like a monkey you probably need a shrink or some serious hugs anyway.

Last edited:
of course they would, regardless of whether it was a mistake or not I am unsurprised and it was clearly avoidable - a symptom of incompetence

Last edited:
Looks like just unfortunate timing. Toolset Bonobo is more than 15 years old. More folks looking for outrage.
FVP2aflXsAke1pj

Okay, I stand corrected. I was fucking pissed about this. Still seems strange how it CONVENIENTLY lands as a name on the Juneteenth item. No fucking coincidence unless I can see proof it occurred to numerous other items as well.

reinking

Gold Member
Yeah it looks too perfect for being an accident, it was probably made on purpose.

Still, if your major problem in life is a fucking halo skin being called like a monkey you probably need a shrink or some serious hugs anyway.
That was a fucking specific Halo skin being called like a monkey. My skin is as white as the guys in the photo I posted so it is not my major problem in life but I can understand why it is offensive. Then again, I get plenty of hugs so that probably helps.

Top Bottom