• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Dpad watch.

vgachi57 said:
whoa, i didn't know they made that. anyone have one that can vouch on the quality or responsiveness? and why do you need a wired controller? there's 2 usb ports on the front of the 360 so you plug in a standard wired in one port and this adapter to the other?
you plug the wired 360 controller into that USB port in the pic on the side of the device. you need a 360 controller to bypass the MS peripheral lockout.

I will buy that Razer Onza in a heartbeat. I'll probably buy the 5.1 headset they're releasing as well, the Chimaera:

razer_chimaera.jpg

Frankly, they make such good hardware I can't see these not being top of their field.

Now this is a thread I can get behind.

I've done the file-down mod and it certainly makes things better but I totally agree that it can't fully fix the inherently poor design. My standard for judging d-pads is a simple one: Pac-Man CE. Up, down, left, right + blazing speed -- that's the whole game, nothing more, nothing less. My modded d-pad was just as shit as the factory design.

I've tried the SF4 pad on PMCE as well. Also major suckage. Even worse than the factory pad.

I haven't tried the blue Hori pad, but it does look nice. The rest of the controller looks kind of lame, though, and I hate wired controllers at this point. The new Hori pad looks better overall, though still wired. I think I might give it a try.

I haven't tried the Sega pads, either. I was under the impression they only worked with the PS3...?

But I really want one of these. You can't use it for games that involve the bumpers or triggers, but for games that only use face buttons it looks stellar. By the eye test, it looks like the closest thing to an NES/SNES d-pad design.

dpad.jpg

Anyone use it? Ars Technica seemed to like it.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/12/the-best-xbox-360-d-pad-comes-with-a-drum-set.ars

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
RadarScope1 said:
But I really want one of these. You can't use it for games that involve the bumpers or triggers, but for games that only use face buttons it looks stellar. By the eye test, it looks like the closest thing to an NES/SNES d-pad design.

dpad.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/12/the-best-xbox-360-d-pad-comes-with-a-drum-set.ars

wow thanks for that! Found it for £12 @ Play.com so I bought it.

(although I could have just shelled out the extra £10 for a SF4 pad. But this looks oh so much cooler. :lol)

I am sure the actual drum part will come in handy as well seeing as my original drums are in an attic at my parents house and I can not be bothered to go and get them ever.

Just want to throw out there that I have the SF4 Blanka pad and I love the hell out of it. It may not have the click of the Saturn pad, but it is quite Saturn pad lovely. If you're in the States, Best Buy has had them on Clearance for a while if you can find them (for the low, low price of $32. :lol).

RadarScope1 said:

Oh wow, this might be the answer, at £12 I might bite. Would be nice to be able to play Rock Band drums at my student digs as well. Hmm.

Edit: Fuck it, I bought it, its basically for Pac Man: CE and Sonic anyway and it looks basically perfect for that purpose and I actually have a bit of an urge to play Rock Band 2 drums now anyway.

This is definitely not what I had envisioned buying after making this thread! :lol

Chairhome

Wow, I have that pad for the portable drums and it never occurred to me that I could use it as a pad. Haha. Might have to try that out now.

Aru

ruby_onix said:
Maybe you just got a non-limited one.

The European limited green one supposedly has eight contact points instead of four, and can do 16-direction digital. On games that can't do 16-direction digital (which is just about all of them), it rolls smoother (because it has twice as many "clicks" of lesser strength) and won't screw up/get tricked into delivering a false straight or diagonal nearly as often, because all of the contact points are active in any game (regardless of whether it was programmed to use the 16-directions), so if your pad twitches "just a little", the controller knows that it wasn't a full movement and can disregard smaller errors.

People tore them apart. They're real. And they've never come to America, and probably never will.

IMO, the whole idea around the Xbox D-pad is flawed. It's an inch tall bottom half of a joystick, pretending to be a D-pad, making it a bad joystick and a bad D-pad.

I think I also remember some people explaining once how the little interlocked fingers of exposed copper on the circuit board are all turned 90 degrees in the wrong direction from what would make an effective contact point. Edit: Google image search says I'm wrong. Maybe MS fixed it.

No, I got the limited edition one, there was no other official green controller. I even asked a vendor before buying, but I already known it was the one.
Maybe it makes a difference in PES, since the controller was made for this game, but for a 2D fighter no difference at all: it's hard as f*ck to do any special move like Shoryuken or whatever.

Big disappointment here.

I get fighters on PS3 instead.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My 360 pads work fine.. Sure, there are cartain genres I wouldnt play on Xbox because of it... But I really LIKE the idea of playing Sonic 4 with that pad actually... It reminds me of the genesis d-pad!

vgachi57

The Faceless Master said:
you plug the wired 360 controller into that USB port in the pic on the side of the device. you need a 360 controller to bypass the MS peripheral lockout.
oh okay. but are there any reviews for it? i have a bunch of ps2 controllers lying around that would be perfect.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
vgachi57 said:
oh okay. but are there any reviews for it? i have a bunch of ps2 controllers lying around that would be perfect.

It's pretty much lag free from reports on SRK. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RadarScope1 said:
Now this is a thread I can get behind.

I've done the file-down mod and it certainly makes things better but I totally agree that it can't fully fix the inherently poor design. My standard for judging d-pads is a simple one: Pac-Man CE. Up, down, left, right + blazing speed -- that's the whole game, nothing more, nothing less. My modded d-pad was just as shit as the factory design.

I've tried the SF4 pad on PMCE as well. Also major suckage. Even worse than the factory pad.

I haven't tried the blue Hori pad, but it does look nice. The rest of the controller looks kind of lame, though, and I hate wired controllers at this point. The new Hori pad looks better overall, though still wired. I think I might give it a try.

I haven't tried the Sega pads, either. I was under the impression they only worked with the PS3...?

dpad.jpg

Who in NA still has that in stock?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
What I need for the ultimate fighting evenings is 2 of the new Hori-pads and the korean converter for ≈16€.

But I don't know where to get them, really. Germany here… Any tipps?

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize that both linked sites ship to Germany. Sweet.

Kenaras

a Master Ninja said:
Am I crazy or did new official Xbox 360 d-pads get slightly better? I bought one not long ago and it's noticeably more responsive than the ones I've been using for years (although I suppose the heavy use my old ones got could account for the different feeling).

I haven't used any new ones, but I have an official 360 pad from early 2007 that works great. My other pads from the same time all have horrible d-pads, so it was just luck of the draw.

jarosh

alrighty, i got this baby in the mail today!

pad0.jpg

pad1.jpg

pad2.jpg

let me tell you straight up: this thing is bloody fantastic! i just blasted through galaxy man's stage in mm9. it was glorious! controls are pitch-perfect. the dpad and buttons are super responsive. it's like night and day compared to the 360 controller. holy fuck... and all that for £12.

to put this in perspective, i'm the guy who wrote this post.

thanks for the tip, radarscope1!

Class_A_Ninja said:
This is what I recommend. Back in the day, I made a Youtube video in response to some guy spending a half hour taking apart the controller to dremel the white plastic wall. Just slip some sandpaper in there and go about your business.

I took down the video because I thought it was dumb. Little did I know that having nearly a million views on Youtube was some sort of achievement.

Can you re up it????

edit:
LakeEarth said:
The quality of the function of the dpad on a standard Xbox 360 controller is directly related to how centered it is. If it's right in the center, then it works fine. However, if it's off-center at all, it will hit the sides of the plastic rim and it will miss inputs. This is why you see forum posts going "hey, did they fix the problem??", because they just so happened to get a well-centered dpad. It doesn't last though, because after a while you can actually move the position of the dpad with your thumb.

I got my 360 a week early, and just by playing Hexic and moving around in the menus I could tell that the dpad was shit. FIVE YEARS and they still haven't fixed the problem. They ALMOST have the perfect controller and they just won't take that extra step.

Nice bit of info I never knew.

jarosh said:
let me tell you straight up: this thing is bloody fantastic! i just blasted through galaxy man's stage in mm9. it was glorious! controls are pitch-perfect. the dpad and buttons are super responsive. it's like night and day compared to the 360 controller. holy fuck... and all that for £12.

Cool, man. Just doing my part to make the world a better place. This endorsement (together with your previous MM9 post) is about as good as it gets. I think I'm gonna have to hop on this bandwagon now.

jarosh

warbegins said:
does that mad catz drum kit controller work on pc as well?
yes, it does indeed. i just tried it. recognized with the correct name by windows plus it downloaded and installed the 360 wired controller driver. works flawlessly wirh emulators.

RadarScope1 said:
Cool, man. Just doing my part to make the world a better place. This endorsement (together with your previous MM9 post) is about as good as it gets. I think I'm gonna have to hop on this bandwagon now.

You can get it at amazon.co.uk for £5.95 right now, shipping to the states is £5.95, so less than $20, you're probably going to struggle to find it for less than that locally.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001B19BIO/

Damn, it looks sexy as hell in those pics, it'd be pretty much perfect with an extra couple face buttons.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
jarosh said:
yes, it does indeed. i just tried it. recognized with the correct name by windows plus it downloaded and installed the 360 wired controller driver. works flawlessly wirh emulators.
I already bought it, stop trying to make me buy a second one D:

brain_stew said:
You can get it at amazon.co.uk for £5.95 right now, shipping to the states is £5.95, so less than $20, you're probably going to struggle to find it for less than that locally.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001B19BIO/

Damn, it looks sexy as hell in those pics, it'd be pretty much perfect with an extra couple face buttons.

There are a few people on Ebay selling it for $18-$19, I went with them just because they are in the US, so I should get it by the end of the week if all goes well.

LOL @ Part of an accessory for An accessory ends up being the ultimate controller for xbl arcade games and such....:lol

How funny...time to get me one...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fixed2BeBroken said:
LOL @ Part of an accessory for An accessory ends up being the ultimate controller for xbl arcade games and such....:lol

How funny...time to get me one...
I find it funny that its made by Madcatz. I know they are getting a much better reputation thanks to there street fighter pads, but I still think of them as "The guys who make those controllers that die for no reason 2 weeks after the warranty is up"

Linkzg said:
I would totally buy that mad catz drum pad set if I find it cheap in America.

Its less than $20 shipped to the states from the UK, sure it'll take a few days longer but I don't see what difference it makes really.

Edit: You know, I might stock up on these things, I can see the price on Ebay skyrocketing because of this thread. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
brain_stew said:
Its less than $20 shipped to the states from the UK, sure it'll take a few days longer but I don't see what difference it makes really.

Edit: You know, I might stock up on these things, I can see the price on Ebay skyrocketing because of this thread. :lol
Its $18.49 shipped in the US, the cheapest guy selling is based out of New York. Unless you don't like ebay and all for some reason.

Ok just bought me one but...how does it handle the L1/2 R1/2 stuff? or are those buttons just omitted on the thing completely?
Techniclly, I think they may be mapped to the drums you are supposed to be hitting, but for this purpose, yes. So you can't play any game that you must use analog or the shoulder buttons for. Shouldn't be a problem for arcade type games though.

jarosh

yes, you guys should definitely keep that in mind: it only has the 4 face buttons + back, start and the dpad. no triggers or shoulder buttons. fine for mega man, pac man and most retro arcade games. but the pad might appear perfect for some xbla games that simply require the triggers. not sure about that. either way, considering what you're getting for the current price, it's a fantastic deal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
jarosh said:
yes, you guys should definitely keep that in mind: it only has the 4 face buttons + back, start and the dpad. no triggers or shoulder buttons. fine for mega man, pac man and most retro arcade games. but the pad might appear perfect for some xbla games that simply require the triggers. not sure about that. either way, considering what you're getting for the current price, it's a fantastic deal.
Well, I think it should be good for most games. Even a good number of games that use the triggers can be remapped. As long as a game only needs the D Pad and 4 buttons, and has mappable controls, this can be used. Though some games the normal controller is probably better for.

Hey, couldn't you use this for Blazblue? I think its 2 buttons shy for a good Street Fighter pad, but I think Blazblue only used 4 buttons.

Drkirby said:
Well, I think it should be good for most games. Even a good number of games that use the triggers can be remapped. As long as a game only needs the D Pad and 4 buttons, and has mappable controls, this can be used. Though some games the normal controller is probably better for.

Hey, couldn't you use this for Blazblue? I think its 2 buttons shy for a good Street Fighter pad, but I think Blazblue only used 4 buttons.

Should be perfect for SNK fighters as well. Oh, and Metal Slug! :D

Ecrofirt

I also highly recommend the MadCatz controller. The d-pad on it is stellar, and I've always liked its triggers more than the ones on the official MS controller.

What's more, TeamXbox rated the MadCatz controller higher than the official Microsoft controller: http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/35/Mad-Catz-GamePad-Pro/p1/

There's also the microcon version of it, which is quite a bit smaller. I really like that one, and it fits into my hands well.

As far as I know, MadCatz also produces that controller with GameStop branding, if that helps.

jarosh said:
pad2.jpg

It looks plain and boring yet has charm, a good price too.

I am hoping that sega bring out a limited run of saturn 360 pads for sonic 4 :lol but this would be the next best thing.

Top Bottom