• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Dpad watch.

Brakara

brain_stew said:
Wow another super positive set of impressions. Mine shipped on Wednesday so it should be here tomorrow. I don't think Mad Catz realise what they've hit on here, they could make a killing selling a repackaged version of this minus the drums.

Yeah, I just ordered it and will probably throw away the drum kit part when I get it (as I have no plans to ever get Rock Band).

Agh, I was sold on the mad catz pad, but only face buttons? I was hoping at least RB and LB buttons. Is there any list of games that uses only face buttons?

Foxix Von

Relaxed Muscle said:
Agh, I was sold on the mad catz pad, but only face buttons? I was hoping at least RB and LB buttons. Is there any list of games that uses only face buttons?

1z6uknq.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM.

But really works great for BlazBlue as well. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff too on XBL if you buy stuff off the arcade.

Sanic

The SFIV pad is amazing. Since the release of MM9 i've completed 3 stages. Since getting the controller yesterday, i've finished 4 more. It's incredible how much of a difference a good, solid controller can make.

Still not sure if I wanna pick up the drum kit yet. SF pad is fine, but these impressions are really good and I think I might wanna try it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Pandoracell said:
The SFIV pad is amazing. Since the release of MM9 i've completed 3 stages. Since getting the controller yesterday, i've finished 4 more. It's incredible how much of a difference a good, solid controller can make.

Still not sure if I wanna pick up the drum kit yet. SF pad is fine, but these impressions are really good and I think I might wanna try it.
Did the loosening thing work for you?

Foxix Von

Pandoracell said:

If you do, buy it from some place with a good return policy. Not out of fear of it breaking or anything (it's really solid surprisingly) but just in case you end up preferring the SFIV pad. A lot of people always forget that Gamestop's 7 day satisfaction guarantee works on used games AND accessories.

Sanic

wmat said:
Did the loosening thing work for you?

Actually, I didn't try it because I was distracted by something else, but I don't think i'll need to now. Later in the day a friend of mine was testing an xbox indie game i'm making with the controller, and it makes extensive use of the RT, so he was pressing the button a lot. After roughly 45 minutes of playtime the button was fine, so I guess all of that use wiggled it back into place. But thanks for the suggestion.

If you do, buy it from some place with a good return policy. Not out of fear of it breaking or anything (it's really solid surprisingly) but just in case you end up preferring the SFIV pad. A lot of people always forget that Gamestop's 7 day satisfaction guarantee works on used games AND accessories.

Yeah thanks, i'll keep that in mind. I'm not in a real big hurry to find one, so i'm just gonna keep an eye out as I shop around in stores.

Uuuurgh. It's killing me that that the drum pad doesn't have any kind of shoulder buttons. If it did I'd buy one right now. Even without I'm still thinking about it. :lol

EDIT: How is the black Horii pad? My issue is I basically have two systems right now -- 360 and PC -- where the controller I'm currently using is saddled with a shittacular D-pad and I'd really prefer to fix both problems at once if at all possible...

Well I just put the thing through its paces in Ms. Pac Man in MAME and make no mistake this thing is the real deal. I shit you not, its just about the most responsive dpad you'll ever come across and is about as good as a traditional Nintendo style cross shaped dpad can get. I can quite confidently say it is better than the classic controllers dpad and I am super hyped for Sonic 4 now, this thing is literally perfect for it.

Mad Catz, you're sitting on a gold mine here, add a couple of shoulder buttons, move the actual dpad slightly up and to the left, remove the drum pad inputs and sell it as the ultimate XBLA pad for $20. I think I might message MarkMan and get him to show the Madcatz team that worked on the SFIV accessories this thread, to see what they think.

Seriously, snap these things up whilst they're available for peanuts, once the word gets out these things won't be available at this sort of pricing for very long.

brain_stew said:
Well I just put the thing through its paces in Ms. Pac Man in MAME and make no mistake this thing is the real deal. I shit you not, its just about the most responsive dpad you'll ever come across and is about as good as a traditional Nintendo style cross shaped dpad can get. I can quite confidently say it is better than the classic controllers dpad and I am super hyped for Sonic 4 now, this thing is literally perfect for it.

Mad Catz, you're sitting on a gold mine here, add a couple of shoulder buttons, move the actual dpad slightly up and to the left, remove the drum pad inputs and sell it as the ultimate XBLA pad for $20. I think I might message MarkMan and get him to show the Madcatz team that worked on the SFIV accessories this thread, to see what they think.

Seriously, snap these things up whilst they're available for peanuts, once the word gets out these things won't be available at this sort of pricing for very long.
Contacting MarkMan is a great idea; he might be able to make this happen!

bearcatjosh said:
Contacting MarkMan is a great idea; he might be able to make this happen!

I'd probably buy another if they added shoulder buttons. Make it an extension of the PS2 "Retrocon" line that they do, and add a couple of analog sticks so that it appeals to more people if they must. Just so long as you don't touch that delicious dpad and those lovely clicky buttons its all good.

Oh, my.

I just tried this thing with Flicky and after having never played the game in about 6 months I just got the furthest I've ever been on my first attempt with this controller.

I can not understate how much of a big deal that is, few games will stress a dpad as much as Flicky does, and it just passed that test with flying colours. This thing isn't just an adequate replacement for the broken 360 dpad, its one of the best dpads you'll ever use. I'm stunned.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Azure Phoenix said:
What baffles me is that when they try to create a good D-Pad they fail spectacularly and we are left with an unresponsive mushy lump. Yet this ultra basic controller which is only for designed for menu navigation has an amazing D-Pad and was probably thrown together with little effort and the most basic of parts.

All they have to do is redesign this to look like the old PS2 RetroCON and they are onto a winner.
Didn't the RetroCon suck though?

I have been buying some retro games on the ps3 vs the 360 lately because of the solid dpad on the ps3 (the new Genesis collection is one of them). How does this thing compare to the dualshock pad?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RadarScope1 said:
I have been buying some retro games on the ps3 vs the 360 lately because of the solid dpad on the ps3 (the new Genesis collection is one of them). How does this thing compare to the dualshock pad?
Well, there may very well be hyperbole, but if I take what the above people have said to be the truth and not blown out of proportions...

Madcatz Drumpad > Any D-Pad made in the past 15 years

Sanjuro

Drkirby said:
Well, there may very well be hyperbole, but if I take what the above people have said to be the truth and not blown out of proportions...

Drumpad? More like dumpad amrite?

RadarScope1 said:

The dpad is infinitely better but then Sony's dpad design was always horrible. Sure, its a 100x better than the abomination that is the 360's dpad but its hardly a golden standard for dpads either. Buttons are actually pretty similar but since they're proper digital buttons they don't have that off putting mushiness that the PS3's analog buttons do.

So, yeah for retro games that don't require more than 4 buttons, its much better.

Drkirby said:

I still prefer the Saturn design but this is a pretty good runner up and is preferable for games that don't support diagonal input.

Truespeed

brain_stew said:
Oh, my.

I just tried this thing with Flicky and after having never played the game in about 6 months I just got the furthest I've ever been on my first attempt with this controller.

I can not understate how much of a big deal that is, few games will stress a dpad as much as Flicky does, and it just passed that test with flying colours. This thing isn't just an adequate replacement for the broken 360 dpad, its one of the best dpads you'll ever use. I'm stunned.

So this is really better then the d-pad on the Sega gamepad? Also, you mentioned the gamepad Sega was distributing were knock offs. Where can you buy an authentic Sega USB gamepad or do they even exist anymore?

Truespeed said:
So this is really better then the d-pad on the Sega gamepad? Also, you mentioned the gamepad Sega was distributing were knock offs. Where can you buy an authentic Sega USB gamepad or do they even exist anymore?

No, see my comment above, the Saturn USB is still the king. Ebay is your only real option for the Saturn USB pad though (it won't work on the 360 btw just PC and PS3) try and search for posts here and on fighting game forums that link to specific sellers and you should be OK. The real deal should have a silver SLS sticker on the back.

OnPoint

You've convinced me GAF. I've ordered the MadCatz pad. I'm sick of dying stupidly in Pac Man CE.

Will report back with impressions someday.

I'm set to get this but just a few questions:

do the open ports around the sides become a bother? there should be five or so I guess.

are the portable drums that shit? I almost never play drums in rock band and taking my big RB2 drumset that is taking up space to my garage and only using these for the rare time I do want to drum would be nice.

is the cable long/chunky? since it's not meant to be used like a normal controller, the wire might be meant to be heavy duty rather than flexible. It isn't that big of an issue since the Saturn pad has an awful wire and it's still incredible.

does the position of the d-pad make it uncomfortable?

Ordered one of those drum kits on eBay. Just under $19. Figured rather not deal with waiting for international shipping, and keep that extra 22 cents it'd cost with Amazon!

The first one I tried to buy tried to charge NY Sales Tax though, never encountered that on eBay before. Had to go for the 2nd cheapest on eBay instead cause that shit would have added an extra $1.50 to the cost.

Foxix Von

Linkzg said:
I'm set to get this but just a few questions:

do the open ports around the sides become a bother? there should be five or so I guess.

are the portable drums that shit? I almost never play drums in rock band and taking my big RB2 drumset that is taking up space to my garage and only using these for the rare time I do want to drum would be nice.

is the cable long/chunky? since it's not meant to be used like a normal controller, the wire might be meant to be heavy duty rather than flexible. It isn't that big of an issue since the Saturn pad has an awful wire and it's still incredible.

does the position of the d-pad make it uncomfortable?

Nope, they sit pretty much flush against the plastic. They have these little rounded metal rings around the hole. You don't even feel them.

Don't know, I don't have any game that uses drums.

If it's any thicker it's barely noticeable it's basically a regular controller cable, break-away spot and everything.

Nope. When you look at it's location it seems rather out of place but after getting my hands on it, what I found was quite the contrary and felt just fine.

While it's not the old sega quality it's closer than anything I thought I would ever get on a 360.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RubberJohnny said:
Scrape around the D-Pad well with a screwdriver.

Cost: $0

does this... does this really work?

OnPoint said:
You've convinced me GAF. I've ordered the MadCatz pad. I'm sick of dying stupidly in Pac Man CE.

Will report back with impressions someday.

I actually use the control stick with Pac-Man CE. Does that make me weird?

OnPoint

Danthrax said:

Not at all. That's how I have to play as well. But I feel that a decent D-pad would improve my play so very much.

Sew

Danthrax said:
It can work in cases where the d-pad is hitting the white surround, preventing the bottom from making contact on the PCB. Pretty bad design flaw, but I think it mostly affects older controllers. I did it on one of mine and there was definitely an improvement (ie. it went from having to bash it four times just to bring up the phone in GTA4, to working with a light touch like it's supposed to. Still crap for actual gaming though.)

AzBat said:
Anybody doing mods on these to add shoulder buttons?
I'm interested in this too. All those unused plugs are begging for fun stuff to be plugged into them. Does anyone know what kind of signal they get from the drums? Do they just look for a closed contact, or is it something trickier? Also, I presume the drums are mapped direct to functions like shoulder buttons?

If the answers are what I hope they are, I'll pick one of these up just to mess with it.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Linkzg said:

I find the drums to be just as responsive as the original Rock Band drums.

I am so tempted to pick up another pad or two..

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fuzz Rez said:
I really like the simple desing of it. I'm most certainly going to buy one of these... Offtopic but does anyone happen to know if there is a similar pad for PC ?

You better be quick then if you're in the UK, play.com has already gone out of stock and resellers are at 3X the original price.
Mymemory still has it in stock tho.

jarosh

Fuzz Rez said:
I really like the simple desing of it. I'm most certainly going to buy one of these... Offtopic but does anyone happen to know if there is a similar pad for PC ?
as i mentioned on the last page: it works perfectly fine on a pc. just plug it in.

So are the drum pads that come with this controller compatible with anything else, or just this specific controller? I have no use for them and they are wasting space, so I'm either going to throw them in the bin if they are only for that controller, or try and sell them for a couple of quid if they aren't.

And yeah, you need to hurry up and buy one if you are in the UK as once one major seller runs out it's only a matter of time before the others do too. I've already seen it happen to multiple games over the last few months and the same will very likely happen with this.

Danthrax said:

It helps, but the dpad is still a flat out broken design. It just makes it slightly less horrible, so its worth doing but not a solution.

Danthrax said:

Nope, it just shows how broken the 360 dpad is, Pac Man: CE is the ultimate test and it fails spectacularly.

If you don't have any other system to pick Sonic 4 up on then this Mad Catz pad is an essential purchase.

Azure Phoenix said:
So are the drum pads that come with this controller compatible with anything else, or just this specific controller? I have no use for them and they are wasting space, so I'm either going to throw them in the bin if they are only for that controller, or try and sell them for a couple of quid if they aren't.

And yeah, you need to hurry up and buy one if you are in the UK as once one major seller runs out it's only a matter of time before the others do too. I've already seen it happen to multiple games over the last few months and the same will very likely happen with this.

I'm thinking of ordering a second before they run out of stock, they're that damn good.

Fuzz Rez said:

These work on the PC plug and play. Infact I used MAME to test mine out and it was a delicious combination.

Sew said:
I'm interested in this too. All those unused plugs are begging for fun stuff to be plugged into them. Does anyone know what kind of signal they get from the drums? Do they just look for a closed contact, or is it something trickier? Also, I presume the drums are mapped direct to functions like shoulder buttons?

I'm going to try plugging one in whilst my pad is hooked up to my PC. It should tell us what they're mapped to, if its the shoulder buttons then there's some serious mod potential. Be back in a sec.

Edit: Bad news, the drum pads are mapped to the face buttons. :(

The drum pedal is mapped to one of the shoulder buttons but that leaves us a button short, so I guess there isn't much mod potential afterall, shame.

Foxix Von

brain_stew said:
I'm thinking of ordering a second before they run out of stock, they're that damn good.

These work on the PC plug and play. Infact I used MAME to test mine out and it was a delicious combination.

I'm going to try plugging one in whilst my pad is hooked up to my PC. It should tell us what they're mapped to, if its the shoulder buttons then there's some serious mod potential. Be back in a sec.

Edit: Bad news, the face buttons are mapped to the face buttons. :(

The drum pedal is mapped to one of the shoulder buttons but that leaves us a button short, so I guess there isn't much mod potential afterall, shame.

I was afraid of that, all the little color coded dots on the side coincide with the face button colors, except for that orange one... >_> and that orange one is shady as fuck.

Foxix said:
I was afraid of that, all the little color coded dots on the side coincide with the face button colors, except for that orange one... >_> and that orange one is shady as fuck.

Its for the drum pedal that one, that's the only one that maps to something different.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
brain_stew said:
Amazon.co.uk has them for £5.95 (+ £4.50 for shipping) right now. Bit cheaper than ordering straight from MyMemory. Awesome deal, I ordered two formyself :)

Super nice! Thanks for the tip ;)

Foxix said:

It's always the orange port, isn't it?

Danthrax said:

Everyone does. PMCE is nearly unplayable with the stock 360 d-pad, and it's literally impossible to play at a high level with the d-pad. Watch Youtube vids of the highest-scoring runs and you'll hear the players ramming the stick from side to side. It works surprisingly well with the stick.

Sanjuro

Just letting you guys know that the Mad Catz store is doing a B1G1 on the Comic Con FightPad.

71ib84.jpg

I'm about to order one and seeing if anyone here would like to go halfsies? I've had one previously and used it for Pac Man CE and is the best dpad option on the 360 IMO. Anyway, I have a ton of feedback in the b/s/t thread...looking to place order soon. If you are overseas or something let me know and we can work something out.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Just letting you guys know that the Mad Catz store is doing a B1G1 on the Comic Con FightPad.

http://i45.tinypic.com/71ib84.jpg

I'm about to order one and seeing if anyone here would like to go halfsies? I've had one previously and used it for Pac Man CE and is the best dpad option on the 360 IMO. Anyway, I have a ton of feedback in the b/s/t thread...looking to place order soon. If you are overseas or something let me know and we can work something out.
Could you link the deal? I can't find it.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it!

Sanjuro

wmat said:
What does "a flat rate" mean?
It's a set rate that doesn't go any higher or lower if the item can fit in the packaging.

For Canada/Mexico it is $11.45 and outside NA is $13.45

Top Bottom