• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 HD-DVD Drive to be 199 GBP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ajax said:
So if basiv isn't there for launch he can compare prices of uneven products?
there is no other comparison to make.

is the difference in price between the 360 bundle and ps3 bundle worth it for the extra things you get?

that's the only comparison. original poster didn't think it was enough of a difference due to the lack of HDMI in the 360 bundle.

Ajax said:
So if basiv isn't there for launch he can compare prices of uneven products?

The basic PS3 model which matches the premium X360 + HD-DVD bundle spec for spec including gimped HD movie playback will be cheaper.

Owzers

*waiting for official price to be released*

If it's more than $200 i'm not buying it...and even if it isn't, i'm not sure I want my 360 to be used as an HD-DVD player. Wear and tear combined with the noise the system makes....i dunno. Might be worth the extra $200 to have a reliable player, upconversion for all my dvds, and something that is whisper quiet. Then again, HD-DVD might fail and i won't need a player at all.

Arsenal

Panajev2001a said:
VC-1 as well as H.264 High Profile are both SUPPORTED by Blu-Ray, just as it is the case with HD-DVD... moot point.

I'm quite aware of this... maybe you should let Sony know this as well so they stop using the DVD codec on their Blu-Ray releases?

Ajax

Banned
Arsenal said:
Microsoft owns VC-1. You know how stuborn Sony is about this type of thing. It literally destroyed their portable music player business, lets hope they have learned some lessons during that time.

No that's not the reason. Especially if you consider that there's another option of H.264 which according to tests is a little better.

monkeymagic said:
The basic PS3 model which matches the premium X360 + HD-DVD bundle spec for spec including gimped HD movie playback will be cheaper.
when and if it's announced for the UK which so far has ONLY had the more expensive one announced for the market.

we're looking at UK prices because that's all we have.

IF the cheaper PS3 comes to the UK i'd expect it to be around 350 GBP which would obviously be cheaper than the 360 bundle. but it hasn't been announced yet, so the only comparison we have *right now* is to the premium.

Mrbob

jetjevons said:
So the lower price pack can or can't show movies over HDMI at 1080p? There's been so much discussion I honestly can't remember.

The core PS3 doesn't have an HDMI output. So it can't.

Arsenal

Ajax said:
No that's not the reason. Especially if you consider that there's another option of H.264 which according to tests is a little better.

Lol, ok, so what is the reason then? Sony enjoys embarassing themselves with HD releases that look like DVDs?

Ajax said:
So if basic pack isn't there for launch he can compare prices of uneven products?

360ps3prices.jpg

Like that. And I know I've left some detail off there. If you want more put in I'll happily oblige.

jetjevons said:
So the lower price pack can or can't show movies over HDMI at 1080p? There's been so much discussion I honestly can't remember.
the cheaper PS3 does not have HDMI. for 1080p output of movies (and only movies) you must be using HDMI or DVI. it cannot be done over component which is what the cheaper ps3 supports. the cheaper ps3 will show the films in 1080i (which if your 1080p tv has 3:2 pulldown will look almost exactly like 1080p when watching a movie) and CAN display games at 1080p on a few sets that support 1080p over component (a lot of 1080p sets don't, but it's there and you can get sets that can).

all of the above has nothing to do with the image constraint token which likely won't be a big factor, so i won't get into it.

Ajax

Banned
plagiarize said:
when and if it's announced for the UK which so far has ONLY had the more expensive one announced for the market.

we're looking at UK prices because that's all we have.

IF the cheaper PS3 comes to the UK i'd expect it to be around 350 GBP which would obviously be cheaper than the 360 bundle. but it hasn't been announced yet, so the only comparison we have *right now* is to the premium.

If you don't like that how about: 40GB + HDMI + WiFi + card reader for 25-50 pounds more. radioheadrule's post was on purpose ignorant.

Jim

Not surprisingly, this thread is veering off in the wrong direction.
Good job killing a perfectly interesting thread.

Arsenal said:
Sony enjoys embarassing themselves with HD releases that look like DVDs?

You should probably update yourself on the latest VC-1 and MPEG2 Blu-Ray releases because you're making yourself look like an uninformed idiot.

'Perfect' and 'indistinguishable from HD-DVD' are the comments that spring to mind.

teiresias

Arsenal said:
Lol, ok, so what is the reason then? Sony enjoys embarassing themselves with HD releases that look like DVDs?

Have you even seen any of the Sony Blu-Ray releases? They may not be up to par with the best HD-DVD releases (whether that's due inherently to using MPEG2 itself or just poor transfer/compression jobs is another matter) but one can hardly mistake them for DVDs. You're just trolling nonsense now.

Sony releases, will still, as far as I know, utilize MPEG2, but other studios are now releases Blu-Ray discs using VC-1. Not sure about whether anyone has plans to use H.264 or not.

Ajax said:
If you don't like that how about: 40GB + HDMI + WiFi + card reader for 25-50 pounds more. radioheadrule's post was on purpose ignorant.
radioheadrule did not say that either bundle was better value. infact he indicated that he thought that the lack of HDMI neutered the price difference.

you said the two couldn't be compared.

what's your point?

Geoff9920

monkeymagic said:
You should probably update yourself on the latest VC-1 and MPEG2 Blu-Ray releases because you're making yourself look like an uninformed idiot.

'Perfect' and 'indistinguishable from HD-DVD' are the comments that spring to mind.
Hey, asshole, quit derailing the damn thread.

Ajax

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
360ps3prices.jpg

Like that. And I know I've left some detail off there. If you want more put in I'll happily oblige.

Oh god, even in your list you try your best to make PS3 look bad. It's ridiculous. I'm not wasting any more time in this thread.

plagiarize said:
radioheadrule did not say that either bundle was better value. infact he indicated that he thought that the lack of HDMI neutered the price difference.

you said the two couldn't be compared.

what's your point?

Exactly. Thank you!

J-Rzez said:
It's still in the fight until PS3 production ramps to the millions... They will use every PS3 sold as a Blu-Ray player sold... I think it's inevitable what's going to happen here with Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD numbers just because of that...

Thats assuming that everyone who buys a PS3 cares about Blu-Ray playback on it, and owns the equipment to use it. Most average consumers still don't know what HD-DVD or Blu-Ray are, although they can usually figure out what HD-DVD is. Not so much Blu-Ray.

Still, I get your point. There are going to be a lot of PS3's sold, and eventaully those owners will most likely get around to figuring out what BR is, and buy some movies to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom