• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 HD-DVD Drive to be 199 GBP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasting

Banned
Second said:
I don't even know why MS is even trying with this add-on. HD-DVD isn't exactly the format with the most support...

So? It has better sales than bluray right now... If these sales continue, the studios will move to HD-DVD its a given..

I really hope Microsoft doesnt try to sell this here for $300. Are we getting a price at X06?

Second said:
I don't even know why MS is even trying with this add-on. HD-DVD isn't exactly the format with the most support...

I don't think they care too much about the HD format war - both formats are using VC-1.

What this is is a pre-emptive strike against Sony's Blu-Ray marketing for PS3.

We already saw it in This is Living Episode 2 titled 'Storage'.

Don't forget there will also be a massive push by CE companies marketing their HD movie players and televisions over the next 3-5 years.

If it's enough to make consumers who consider HD movie playback a feature they're interested in a console to think twice then I think they'll consider it a success.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
wasting said:
If these sales continue, the studios will move to HD-DVD its a given..

Hardly, sales are a pittance on either format. Blu-ray just has all its aces left. HD-DVD? I dunno..

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
MS dont really care about this addon, they know they cant use it for games, they make no money out of the movies sold. Thats why no one (bar 2 people apparently) ever expected them to price it aggressively. They are just putting it out as an option so when Sony say 'WE PLAY HD-MOVIES' MS can say "WE DO TOO SO NRRRR!".

Majmun

wasting said:
So? It has better sales than bluray right now... If these sales continue, the studios will move to HD-DVD its a given..

I really hope Microsoft doesnt try to sell this here for $300. Are we getting a price at X06?

It sells better, because it's cheaper than Blu-Ray.

And with the release of the Ps3, there will always be more Blu-Ray players sold than HD-DVD players. So there will also be more BD movies sold, for a long time.

quetz67

Banned
monkeymagic said:
199.00 GBP = 371.133 USD

Guess it won't be $100 like everyone was certain it would be.
Where did that number come from? Nobody at least a little informed could believe a HD DVD drive could be $100.

btw. 199 pounds include VAT, so it wont be more than $299 in the us

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If it is $200 or less in the US, it has a chance to do ok. But considering the NPD for X360 in August was a little less than stellar ( A LOT less, actually), I think this add-on will see limited release. Plus, evidently, the blue laser diode issue is not something they can escape from either.

On a different note, there are a hell of a lot more movies available for HD-DVD that I want versus Bluray. Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, GoodFellas, Phantom of the Opera (wife), Cinderella Man, and Full Metal Jacket are all on HD-DVD versus Crash, Black Hawk Down, and Good Night and Good Luck on Bluray.

monkeymagic said:
199.00 GBP = 371.133 USD

It was obvious MS could never price the X360 HD-DVD drive in the way Sony could with the PS3 Blu-Ray drive.
hi monkeymagic.

i see you continue to live in a rather strange world, but today i learn it's one where the UK gets straight price conversion on their electrical goods.

PS3 425 GBP = 729.912 USD
Xbox 360 280 GBP = 522.382 USD

those both work out to be about 1.25 times (rounded) more expensive than the actually are in the US.

AMAZINGLY 80% of 371.133 USD comes in JUST BELOW 300 dollars.

which is too expensive for me. i've always said, more than $150 and i'm waiting for either a good deal more films i want to buy or rebuy in HD or a price drop to $150.

Nutter

monkeymagic said:
199.00 GBP = 371.133 USD

It was obvious MS could never price the X360 HD-DVD drive in the way Sony could with the PS3 Blu-Ray drive.

WTF kinda logic is that. US prices are never straight exchange rate converted.

I'd say it will be $199.99. with a bundle most likely coming.

Arsenal

Probably $249 in the US then. I was hoping for $199, but obviously these things aren't easy to manufacture at this point. The bundle prices seem like they are pretty agressive though - GBP 50 less than a (non blundled) PS3?

Lol @ this thread though - man, the Sony defense force seem to be defensive about this.

Mojovonio said:
That's pretty cheap for an addon that can only play... what 7 movies?

These next gen formats suck.

Haven't seen a full release list lately huh? But I get your point. It takes awhile to build a library for these things. Plus, it should upconvert all your regular DVD's.

Mrbob

Yeah HD DVD is really tearing it up at the moment. With its awesome 45K install base versus Blu Ray's 20K.

Forget $150. Now I'm hoping this add on will be sold for $200. :/

Retail sources have indicated to GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft is currently planning to price the standalone HD-DVD drive at GBP 199 (293 Euro), and to package it with two HD-DVD movies. The sources also suggested that Microsoft will bundle the Premium console and next-generation movie player together for under GBP 400 (589 Euro) – and that the price could even be as low as GBP 375 (552 Euros).

Thats 360 + HD-DVD for £25-50 cheaper than PS3.
If only they could address the lack of HDMI, this might mean something.

pr0cs

I'm still hoping for $200.. I'll bite at that price but higher and I'll probably wait till next year to see how things shake out.

There are enough good HD-DVD titles to consider spending $200 but more and it becomes more attractive to buy a stand-alone player.

Mojovonio

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Haven't seen a full release list lately huh? But I get your point. It takes awhile to build a library for these things. Plus, it should upconvert all your regular DVD's.

Last time I was in Walmart, I only saw a few select titles.

I'm not even going to bother with these formats until every studi decides to release on either one or a hybrid is released.

radioheadrule83 said:
HDMI isn't necessary for Blu Ray on the $499 and it isn't necessary for the HD-DVD drive.

obviously on the ps3 you can spend more for the option and you can't on the 360 but i'm honestly one of those people that thinks that the $499 PS3 is the standard one and the other is the super deluxe, instead of 'tard' and standard.

there's still that weird thing about 3rd party Xbox 360 HDMI cables listed for as upcoming peripherals in gamestops release lists for the end of the year... but i'm pretty sure it'd need a new 360 that can do HDMI to be released for it to work. last i heard everyone was pretty much agreed that the 360 can't output hdmi.

could the hd-dvd drive have an hdmi port added to it since we last saw it? yeah. but until i see it confirmed it's just wishful thinking.

Mrbob

Kung Fu Jedi said:

As long as there is no HDMI, the player cannot upconvert via component. Maybe in VGA mode if you use your monitor. :/

$499 PS3 won't upconvert DVD movies either.

Mojovonio said:
I'm not even going to bother with these formats until every studi decides to release on either one or a hybrid is released.

I actually agree with you. I'm not touching either one until they sort out the format war. And I honestly don't care which one comes out on top. I just want one format, and a resonably priced player.

Mrbob said:
As long as there is no HDMI, the player cannot upconvert via component. Maybe in VGA mode if you use your monitor. :/

$499 PS3 won't upconvert DVD movies either.
careful. statements like that scare people :)

my TV upconverts 480p internally anyways. $3000+ sony TV for the win!

Wollan

radioheadrule83 said:

You don't get the HDD with that minus every advantage for having all that stuff as a standard.
And also consider that you are comparing it to the PS3 premium which also have many other features.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I wonder if the HD-DVD player will have the X360 component cable packed in it? That would help a person who buys the core save a few bucks.

Mrbob

The output to your TV still goes through the 360 (which comes with component. Well at least premium), so I don't think they'll need to bundle cables in. The HD DVD hooks up to your 360 via usb 2.0 port.

plagiarize said:
careful. statements like that scare people :)

my TV upconverts 480p internally anyways. $3000+ sony TV for the win!

Yeah internal TV scalers ftw. But this brings up a differnet can of worms in terms of what is the proper scaling process.

J-Rzez

Kung Fu Jedi said:
So? That still fails to explain how HD-DVD is already DOA. The point is, you can buy the two formats now, and reviewers have already weighed in on the players and movies. As I said before, the format war is far from over, and HD-DVD is certainly still in the fight. To call it DOA is crazy at this point.

It's still in the fight until PS3 production ramps to the millions... They will use every PS3 sold as a Blu-Ray player sold... I think it's inevitable what's going to happen here with Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD numbers just because of that...

wasting

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Last time I was in Walmart, I only saw a few select titles.

This brings the total to HD DVD 60 vs Blu-ray 37.

What was the number of DVD releases 5 months after it came out?

DenogginizerOS said:
I wonder if the HD-DVD player will have the X360 component cable packed in it? That would help a person who buys the core save a few bucks.

I wouldn't count on this..

Dante

That's too much for an add on, if they do a model with the drive built in, I'd consider selling my current one and getting that.

offtopic said:
Wrong.

It is also (currently) of substantially higher quality.
right. for some crazy reason Sony haven't moved over to the new codecs yet.

there's a number of reviews that do direct comparisons of IQ between films that have released on both Blu Ray and HD-DVD and the HD-DVDs look noticably better.

again for people not paying attention. HD-DVD is currently doing better than Blu Ray ANYWAY YOU SLICE IT. this is quite possibly going to change with the launch of the PS3 but it is not guaranteed.

the attach rate of stand alone players is 15 - 20 films. i'd be shocked if the film attach rate for the ps3 is anything remotely close.

few people who don't own HDTVs will spend more on a film with the same extras and image quality on their set. that slices it down even more.

my bet is still on Blu Ray winning out in the end... but i seriously doubt it'll come close to unseating DVD because most people don't want a new format as they did at the time of DVD's launch.

Ajax

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:

worst. comparison. of. the. month.

Comparing 360 premium+HD-DVD with PS3 premium is fun! Let's not look at the features! They're both called premium!

plagiarize said:
oh, so they announced the cheaper PS3 for the uk finally?

link please.

360 + 20GB HDD + HD-DVD = £270 + £199 = £469

PS3 + 60GB HDD + Blu-Ray + HDMI 1.3 + Memory card slots + WiFi = £425

Arsenal

plagiarize said:
right. for some crazy reason Sony haven't moved over to the new codecs yet.

Microsoft owns VC-1. You know how stuborn Sony is about this type of thing. It literally destroyed their portable music player business, lets hope they have learned some lessons during that time.

Arsenal

monkeymagic said:

PS3 + 60GB HDD + Blu-Ray + WiFi = £425

Maybe you missed the article quoted at the top where they are listing the 360 bundle you mentioned for £375?

monkeymagic said:

PS3 + 60GB HDD + Blu-Ray + WiFi = £425
Retail sources have indicated to GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft is currently planning to price the standalone HD-DVD drive at GBP 199 (293 Euro), and to package it with two HD-DVD movies. The sources also suggested that Microsoft will bundle the Premium console and next-generation movie player together for under GBP 400 (589 Euro) – and that the price could even be as low as GBP 375 (552 Euros).
try to keep up.

Ajax

Banned
plagiarize said:
oh, so they announced the cheaper PS3 for the uk finally?

link please.

So if basic pack isn't there for launch he can compare prices of uneven products?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Arsenal said:
Microsoft owns VC-1. You know how stuborn Sony is about this type of thing. It literally destroyed their portable music player business, lets hope they have learned some lessons during that time.

VC-1 as well as H.264 High Profile are both SUPPORTED by Blu-Ray, just as it is the case with HD-DVD... moot point.

offtopic said:
If that price ($370-ish) is true...NO SALE.

Toshiba A1 for me then...cheapest AND best next gen player (of any format) available for the forseeable future (through the holidays). TrueHD5.1, outstanding upconversion, cheap movies...might have to pull the trigger soon. The m$ add-on will only get a look-see if below $200.
The COMBO costs $370, not the standalone drive.

monkeymagic said:
40GB less, no WiFi, no HDMI 1.3 and 720p movies for £25 less?

No thanks.
which is fine. even the original post said 'which if it had HDMI it might mean something'. people made out like he'd said something crazy when he hadn't.

and it's 25 - 50 less, but you keep stacking the figures so that they look good for 'your boys'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom