• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 HD-DVD Drive to be 199 GBP

Status
Not open for further replies.

duk

Banned
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19588

With 360 bundles planned rather than pre-Christmas price cut

The Premium Xbox 360 won’t benefit from a price cut this Christmas - but instead a HD-DVD and console package is due, spearheading a marketing drive of console bundles available from November.

Retail sources have indicated to GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft is currently planning to price the standalone HD-DVD drive at GBP 199 (293 Euro), and to package it with two HD-DVD movies. The sources also suggested that Microsoft will bundle the Premium console and next-generation movie player together for under GBP 400 (589 Euro) – and that the price could even be as low as GBP 375 (552 Euros).

Next-generation movie support is considered a unique selling point of the PlayStation 3, but Microsoft’s HD-DVD bundle could retail around GBP 50 (74 Euro) cheaper than Sony’s machine, which features the rival Blu-ray movie format.

UK distributor Gem is already offering Premium Xbox 360s with a copy of Project Gotham Racing 3 and two wireless controllers for GBP 299.

It’s expected an official Premium bundle will be made available in early November, with a newly released triple-A third-party title included.

Microsoft recently reduced the price of the Xbox 360 Core package, after many retailers had already taken a similar intiative.

With the pressure to compete with Sony over the Christmas market no longer a threat for Europe, Microsoft looks set to capitalise with a range of SKUs to help grow its installed base in the region.

Microsoft did not respond to requests for comment.

scarybore

That isn't really a attractive price for the drive by itself unless those bundled HD DVD are ones you really want. The Premium/HD DVD bundle is better priced at least compared with what the PS3 will cost.

Then again I have no plans to buy this.

199.00 GBP = 371.133 USD

Guess it won't be $100 like everyone was certain it would be.

It was obvious MS could never price the X360 HD-DVD drive in the way Sony could with the PS3 Blu-Ray drive.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
If that price ($370-ish) is true...NO SALE.

Toshiba A1 for me then...cheapest AND best next gen player (of any format) available for the forseeable future (through the holidays). TrueHD5.1, outstanding upconversion, cheap movies...might have to pull the trigger soon. The m$ add-on will only get a look-see if below $200.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Not a concern for me since I don't want either HD-DVD or BluRay (not really a movie-watching guy at home) but having the drive bundled with the Premium at a cheaper price than the PS3 is good stuff...

Jeff-DSA

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too much money. I would have probably picked it up at $199 or less, but it's probably a better deal to spend the extra cash for a Toshiba and get what's almost guaranteed to be a much nicer player.

This needs to be updated I think they used $200 as the price point for the HD-DVD add-on in this comparison:

x360ps3mg3.gif

Wollan

Game disc capacity is also 7GB not 9.
And X360 premium doesn't come with Wifi.
And the console doesn't have a 1080p output option.
Neither Force feedback(rumble though).
Core doesn't come included with memory card.
X360 Premium has HD cable and so does PS3 casual also I would think.

IJoel

Way too expensive. The max I'd pay for that would be $200 (which I would buy.) I'd rather pay full price for a fully featured payer, rather than spend $300 on one with no HDMI.

Edit: Oh for crying out loud... the damn disc space police arrived... thread derailment imminent.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
monkeymagic said:
This needs to be updated I think they used $200 as the price point for the HD-DVD add-on in this comparison:

x360ps3mg3.gif

Does the chart say anything about how I've been enjoying my 360 console for almost an entire year now?

Wollan said:
So 299$ in the states then?

That sounds about right to me. Unless MS is really trying to win the format war, you have to sell add-ons/accessories/peripherals for a profit. And that's just what they're doing.

Crisis

Banned
monkeymagic said:

x360ps3mg3.gif

A lot of information in that is complete bullshit.

JB1981

Who the hell would want to spend $700 for a gimped HD-DVD player, when the format is supported by one major consumer electronics manufacturer who, by the way, sells a far superior (although bug-ridden) standalone player for $200 less? Also, the format is all but DOA at the moment.

Crisis

Banned
Yeah? So is Blu-Ray, and the first player can't play the upcoming dual-layer Blu-Ray Disc movies. Early adopters ftl in this case.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Who the hell made that chart? That's some dodgy addition right there...

Pope Benedict XVI said:
i think that hddvd bundle is a really bad idea, it just sends out the wrong message

Choice is a bad idea now? I never wanted to have to pay extra for an HD-DVD drive, a year later, no one else has to either - and if they do, they can get it in a cheap bundle...

Everyone wins...

JB1981 said:
Who the hell would want to spend $700 for a gimped HD-DVD player, when the format is supported by one major consumer electronics manufacturer who, by the way, sells a far superior (although bug-ridden) standalone player for $200 less? Also, the format is all but DOA at the moment.

Well, the point is that that stand alone player isn't an X360, so you get a next gen game system as well.

How do you figure it's DOA? By most indicaitons, it's outselling Blu-Ray at the moment, even if admittedly they are both selling small numbers. Reviews have tended to be more favorable to the HD-DVD format, and no matter how you slice it, the format war is FAR from over.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Pope Benedict XVI said:
i think that hddvd bundle is a really bad idea, it just sends out the wrong message

This is Europe, there is only one message this fall.

"XBOX 360: ONLY GAME IN TOWN".

JB1981 said:

Toshiba will have 2nd gen HD-DVD players for $400 this Xmas so the difference will be $300 not $200.

Joeroll

LOL that chart. I coulda swore my 360 costed me 400. Oh I guess by this chart i NEED an hd-dvd drive. Especially with its vast movie selection early on. Yes oh yes.

-Rogue5-

Holy Hell... if it's over $300USD (even with two movies) I think it's going to do VERY poorly.... if that's the case I won't be buying one.

What's the deal, I thought all the computation/decoding was supposed to be done on the 360, making the HDDVD drive essentially just a laser??? Sh*t probably costs them $20 to make...

C4Lukins

Joeroll said:
LOL that chart. I coulda swore my 360 costed me 400. Oh I guess by this chart i NEED an hd-dvd drive. Especially with its vast movie selection early on. Yes oh yes.

You better include the cost of ten games, XBOX Live, and 10,000 Microsoft points. The 360 actually costs somehwere around 7 billion dollars. Monkeymagic wouldn't lie to you.

JB1981

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Well, the point is that that stand alone player isn't an X360, so you get a next gen game system as well.

How do you figure it's DOA? By most indicaitons, it's outselling Blu-Ray at the moment, even if admittedly they are both selling small numbers. Reviews have tended to be more favorable to the HD-DVD format, and no matter how you slice it, the format war is FAR from over.

Blu-Ray might be "out", as in, available in some capacity at your local Best Buy. But the format has hardly launched in any meaningful way yet. That happens this November.

Mmmkay

Hunter D said:
Wow, 2 guys actually believed it was going to be $100. You deal out a lot of ownage pal.
I was just embarrassing acousticvan, I couldn't care less if there was an imaginary consensus about the drive being $100.

JB1981 said:
Blu-Ray might be "out", as in, available in some capacity at your local Best Buy. But the format has hardly launched in any meaningful way yet. That happens this November.

So? That still fails to explain how HD-DVD is already DOA. The point is, you can buy the two formats now, and reviewers have already weighed in on the players and movies. As I said before, the format war is far from over, and HD-DVD is certainly still in the fight. To call it DOA is crazy at this point.

Majmun

I don't even know why MS is even trying with this add-on. HD-DVD isn't exactly the format with the most support...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom