• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 launch in Mexico.

Rekwest

http://www.xbox.com/es-mx/

lanzamiento.JPG

Only 22000 consoles available. :D

Poor worldwide launch.

I thought it was already out there. I guess Nintendo is the only company that launches in all of north america* on the same day.

*I have no idea about the carribean.

BuG

Hang on, don't they still sell Mega Drives at retail over there in Mexico? And they get Xbox 360 before Australia?! What the hell kind of logic is that?

Remk

BuG said:
Hang on, don't they still sell Mega Drives at retail over there in Mexico? And they get Xbox 360 before Australia?! What the hell kind of logic is that?

Nope, actually the Genesis was never officially released in Mexico, maybe you are thinking of Brazil?

And you can find all current systems and portables at retail easily in Mexico, all with official support too.

The logic of course is, Mexico > Australia :)

BuG

Actually the logic is screw you. :( I must've been thinking of Brazil, I guess. Actually yes I think I was as I've just now remembered the latest Mizuguchi interview with some Brazillian website in which the same topic (Mega Drive at retail) was discussed.

BuG said:
Actually the logic is screw you. :( I must've been thinking of Brazil, I guess. Actually yes I think I was as I've just now remembered the latest Mizuguchi interview with some Brazillian website in which the same topic (Mega Drive at retail) was discussed.

Sega and Nintendo are the only ones to support Brasil. Sega actually had a dedicated costumer service line there until late 2002.

And Nintendo produced Gamecubes in Brasil (to avoid taxes) but quickly bailed out.

PS2 and Xbox are available, but not officially, only US/European inports.

Gamecube launched in Mexico the same day as the US. Xbox hit Mexico early 2002.

Im unsure about PS2.

bobafett

jamesinclair said:
Sega and Nintendo are the only ones to support Brasil. Sega actually had a dedicated costumer service line there until late 2002.

And Nintendo produced Gamecubes in Brasil (to avoid taxes) but quickly bailed out.

PS2 and Xbox are available, but not officially, only US/European inports.

Im unsure about PS2.

None of the three consoles are available officially in Brazil. Taxes are very high to import them and piracy is > 95%.

Reirom am doomed.

Mexico is a different story. There are some reports saying the country could be a bigger market than Canada in the next 5 years.

bobafett

Leondexter said:
Is the 360 made in Mexico like the Xbox was? They should've gotten it first if so, it's only fair. :D

No. All Xboxen are made in China. Actually, the Mexico factory was closed in 2002 and production was moved to China.

bobafett said:
None of the three consoles are available officially in Brazil. Taxes are very high to import them and piracy is > 95%.

Reirom am doomed.

Mexico is a different story. There are some reports saying the country could be a bigger market than Canada in the next 5 years.

Gamecube was launched September 2002 by Gradiente, using consoles produced in Manaus and outputting Pal-M. It launched with Luigi, Smash Bros, Courtside and later Eternal Darkness, all with portuguese boxes and manuals.

GhaleonEB

meltpotato said:
mexico is one of the richest nations in the world.

there is just a very large discrepency between classes.
I believe what you are describing is social stratification. At any rate, I find it hard to believe that Mexico will be a bigger market than Canada any time soon given their economic infastructure.

GhaleonEB said:
I believe what you are describing is social stratification. At any rate, I find it hard to believe that Mexico will be a bigger market than Canada any time soon given their economic infastructure.

If youre going by GDP:

1 United States 11,734,300
2 Japan 4,671,198
9 Canada 993,443
11 Mexico 675,254
13 Australia 618,021
15 Brazil 603,783

jamesinclair said:

Im unsure about PS2.

Well, PS2 wasn´t available officially over here until 2003 or 2004, can´t recall exactly. Actually, I have a lot to thank Microsoft for, before them systems were brought by importers and marked up twice their price on average. Now we have store chains offering games at relatively fair prices (GH titles are around $30, with new ones being at $60 on average).

Oh, as for the richest comment, I´m not exactly the proper guy to judge it, but given that we have over 40 million people in extreme poberty conditions, yeah, there´s quite a bit of discrepancy between classes.

Heres a better list:
List of countries by GDP (PPP) (List of countries by GDP (PPP)) by the world bank:

9 Brazil 1,482,859
10 Russia 1,408,603
11 Spain 1,046,249
12 Mexico 1,014,514
13 Canada 993,079

Poor Canada

Black_Mamba said:
Mexico? How about Colombia? Launched this week I believe.

Australia am cry total :lol

Oh shit, forgot about Colombia. For some reason, MS launched there with he first Xbox as well. That country never screamed "gaming" to me, but if it sells...

I believe the DS is also available officially there?

GhaleonEB said:

there are two ways to look at that in a hypothetical of bigger market:

1) the mexican upper class could be larger than canadians financially capable of purchasing entertainment hardware/software. I dont know this to be true, its just a possiblity due to population sizes.

2) you are absolutely correct and not only will the infastructure be a limitation, but full-scale culutral acceptance would be impossible because it is not something accessible to the mainstream.

i havent really looked at sociology for years so excuse any ignorance. but beyond all of that, canada is much more of an extension of the U.S. market and really doesnt require localization or much change in marketing/strategy. so mexico could never be a bigger market.

i just kinda get touched off when people act like mexico is some kind of backwards nation with no wealth or industry and simply pumps out sneakers for american kids.

meltpotato said:
there are two ways to look at that in a hypothetical of bigger market:

1) the mexican upper class could be larger than canadians financially capable of purchasing entertainment hardware/software. I dont know this to be true, its just a possiblity due to population sizes.

2) you are absolutely correct and not only will the infastructure be a limitation, but full-scale culutral acceptance would be impossible because it is not something accessible to the mainstream.

i havent really looked at sociology for years so excuse any ignorance. but beyond all of that, canada is much more of an extension of the U.S. market and really doesnt require localization or much change in marketing/strategy. so mexico could never be a bigger market.

i just kinda get touched off when people act like mexico is some kind of backwards nation with no wealth or industry and simply pumps out sneakers for american kids.

Excellent oppertunity to post pics from ym visit last month

IMG_2540.jpg

2 floors of highway fun

DSC_0094.jpg

Avenida de la Reforma

DSC_0013.jpg

apotema

Mexico likes videogames more than Canada, it is said that Mexico is the biggest market for the King of Fighters games

NeonZ

bobafett said:

Actually, the GameCube is avaliable officially in Brazil. They don't translate manuals, boxes and other extras anymore, but there still is an official distributor.

Danydrunk

Mexico is one of the biggest game market there is, Im sure of this. The problem is that most of the people here do not buy games or consoles in mexico, they prefer to wait for the oportunity to ask someone going to the states to bring one. Official games here are very expensive. And since the US is so close, nobody wants to spend 300 % of the price. I have a theory that at LEAST 20 % of the sales of consoles in the united states are from people that take them back home, and a big percentage of that is mexicans.

Sagitario

Danydrunk said:
The problem is that most of the people here do not buy games or consoles in mexico, they prefer to wait for the oportunity to ask someone going to the states to bring one.

That's what I do :p ... Nogales and Tucson FTW!!!

Danydrunk

Yeah I know, out of all my gamer friends, no one has ever bought anything in mexico. What is the price of 360 in mexico by the way? (I live in florida now)

FiRez

Fëanor said:
No idea what the price is, but I know Call of Duty 2 goes for $1,021.86 MN :lol

12 pesos mexicanos = 1 USA $ aprox

that's like 13$ more expensive than USA :/

Fëanor

Danydrunk said:
actually thats not as bad as I thought, thats only 100 dollars more expensive for each respective package (1 dollar is 10 pesos aproximately)

Dude, I'm from Mexico and I know that. But still, that's pretty expensive for most gamers in Mexico and the pricing for the game is just ridiculous!! $1000 pesos!!!

7Th

apotema said:
Mexico likes videogames more than Canada, it is said that Mexico is the biggest market for the King of Fighters games

It actually is, only place in the world where they love KOF more than Street Fighter. The X-Box had a good penetration rate too.

Sagitario

FiRez said:
12 pesos mexicanos = 1 USA $ aprox

that's like 13$ more expensive than USA :/

Nop, the dollar is actually cheaper right now... $10.491 pesos = $1 dollar... the dollar hasn't been above $11.40 pesos in ages...

Premium pack = $5,399.00 pesos = $514 dollars
Core pack = $3,999.00 = $381 dollars

Farore said:
Nop, the dollar is actually cheaper right now... $10.491 pesos = $1 dollar... the dollar hasn't been above $11.40 pesos in ages...

Premium pack = $5,399.00 pesos = $514 dollars
Core pack = $3,999.00 = $381 dollars

Unlimted rides on the subway: 2 pesos = 20 cents

The choice is clear.

bumpkin

I'll bet you half of southern California's population has asked their family to get them one to bring with them when they head for the border.

I keeeeeeeed! I keeeeeeeed!

...but I'll bet it's true. :lol

Danydrunk

bumpkin said:
I'll bet you half of southern California's population has asked their family to get them one to bring with them when they head for the border.

Yup Im sure, I wouldnt be surprised to know that there are more mexican gamers than americans.

In the border, everyone goes to the us of a to buy games. On the "inside" of the country, they use other methos like, mercadolibre.com (mexico's ebay) and they get you stuff about 5$ or 10$ more.

bumpkin said:

i admit i thought about doing it.
:lol

most of my family there lives in ghetto ass border towns now, though, so i doubt they can get their hands on one unless its been hollowed out and filled with herion.

apotema

Games are very expensive here in Mexico, but there are some places where you can find original games for $500 pesos, which is like $45 dollars tax included

Top Bottom